Matt Haig

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
and for some people, it's antidepressants and therapy that are our self care, but you seem determined to do them down while promoting all of the baths, breathing and platitudes that are your own mo.

it's not snobbery to say that the citalopram I take every day is more effective at treating my depression than a live laugh love poster, dumbass

View attachment 696537
But nobody is sneering at the people for who those things work are they? The problem is people like Matt Haig who make money suggesting they are a universal panacea for mental health problems. Him cycling to the sea and staring at it might be great for him. It is when he writes it down as fact the problems arise and make a lot of people think there is something really wrong with them as it isn't helping.

And yes his books look absolutely piss easy to write as has been demonstrated here 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 13
and for some people, it's antidepressants and therapy that are our self care, but you seem determined to do them down while promoting all of the baths, breathing and platitudes that are your own mo.

it's not snobbery to say that the citalopram I take every day is more effective at treating my depression than a live laugh love poster, dumbass

View attachment 696537
I couldn’t agree more. I’m on Venlafaxine and to say that it’s truly helped me would be an understatement. I feel like it’s put me on a more even playing field in life. There is absolutely nothing snobby about that.

Him talking about snobbery screams of projecting his own insecurities and bullshit. He’s really telling on himself but is too far up himself to realise it.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
He truly is the baldest man who ever lived. How does that even work?

I’d advise him to take note of Gregg Wallace’s fate and never, ever do a front page…

9D2F1B33-3906-4D33-8C51-6ECDF118BADC.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
i don't know what he's actually referring to here (but I suspect he's referencing the Kate Clanchy business) but, man, he's clearly so scared of alienating anyone

20210808_210634.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: 4
(Back from holiday and Olympics)

One not so beautiful thing (tunnel’s version)

Experience one (not so) beautiful thing a day. Wake up with a furry tongue because you ate too many Pringles the night before. Leave your shoes outside overnight and allow them to get soaking wet and stinky. Only have one slightly-too-ripe banana left for breakfast. Take the dog for a walk but forget the poo bags. Whatever. Give yourself that one reminder that the world is sometimes out to get you. Even if we want to appreciate things, having to pick up dog poo using a sandwich wrapper from a nearby bin will quickly thump you back to your pebbly Brighton Earth.

Running through an injury is a bleeping stupid thing to do. Run through an injury and you can cause further injury and lasting health problems. How's your mental health going to turn out when you are limping up the stairs for the rest of your life and can't walk further than half an hour without being in pain.

I’ve just seen this and I am fuming. Long me-rail incoming.
I used to run obsessively. I once ran a 35 mile ultra with no food during or after and then ran 10 miles the next day. (I started running 22 years ago for mental health btw). This obsession resulted in one eating disorder and a horrendous injury that cost me ££££ to fix. Now, 5 years later I am deep in the middle of another ED and am trying to learn to run in a way that does not lead to obsession.

To admit all this has taken years. But he is a weapon. This has me in tears. I used to forgo everything to run because I thought it would heal everything but it has broken everything. He has no idea. No idea about binge purge ed, no idea about how it links to depression and anxiety and he is encouraging people to exercise through injury. I follow people who are trying to make a difference on IG who are in danger of being deleted for naked posts and his tripe is being allowed? I am beyond incredulous.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
I’m so sorry, @Into_the_tunnel. That shows just how damaging the man is. 💜💜
Thank you. Having just looked at the replies on this tweet there seem to be two lone dissenters. One about AN and one about how he views migraine/chronic pain sufferers.

He really is showing his ignorance. With the wealth of people on SM nowadays who are willing to share their experience/knowledge, we really don’t need people like him telling us it is ok to eat pizza or that he ran a 10k in the rain to make us feel better.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
(Back from holiday and Olympics)

One not so beautiful thing (tunnel’s version)

Experience one (not so) beautiful thing a day. Wake up with a furry tongue because you ate too many Pringles the night before. Leave your shoes outside overnight and allow them to get soaking wet and stinky. Only have one slightly-too-ripe banana left for breakfast. Take the dog for a walk but forget the poo bags. Whatever. Give yourself that one reminder that the world is sometimes out to get you. Even if we want to appreciate things, having to pick up dog poo using a sandwich wrapper from a nearby bin will quickly thump you back to your pebbly Brighton Earth.

I’ve just seen this and I am fuming. Long me-rail incoming.
I used to run obsessively. I once ran a 35 mile ultra with no food during or after and then ran 10 miles the next day. (I started running 22 years ago for mental health btw). This obsession resulted in one eating disorder and a horrendous injury that cost me ££££ to fix. Now, 5 years later I am deep in the middle of another ED and am trying to learn to run in a way that does not lead to obsession.

To admit all this has taken years. But he is a weapon. This has me in tears. I used to forgo everything to run because I thought it would heal everything but it has broken everything. He has no idea. No idea about binge purge ed, no idea about how it links to depression and anxiety and he is encouraging people to exercise through injury. I follow people who are trying to make a difference on IG who are in danger of being deleted for naked posts and his tripe is being allowed? I am beyond incredulous.
Am sorry to hear this;

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I definitely didn’t go into my local Waterstones and put other books over the top of his new one.
Definitely didn’t.
And before anyone kicks off. I moved the ones that were on the same table, I didn’t go off hiding them anywhere random.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I definitely didn’t go into my local Waterstones and put other books over the top of his new one.
Definitely didn’t.
And before anyone kicks off. I moved the ones that were on the same table, I didn’t go off hiding them anywhere random.
If you had done that, and you obviously didn't, you would have been doing a public service. Which you weren't.
I think Matt would appreciate how complex and contradictory it can be.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I am just involving myself because I agree wholeheartedly with everything that’s been said so far. Loads of my friends love his book and I thought I was missing something but reading this thread I am, as I suspected, correct in intensely disliking the man.

Reactions: 10
Am wound up by the Ghislaine Maxwell documentary on Now TV so thought I would pen a few words down on

Ceilings (tunnel’s version)

We are often encouraged to break through ceilings, particularly glass ones. We are told that ceilings that limit our potential. Instead, think of ceilings as horizontal walls. Not to limit you, but to stop you when you try to be Spider-Man after too many Sipsmiths on a Friday with the boyz. Use your ceiling wisely, make it calm- a flash of School House White in a room of Hague Blue, make it your own, but above all else, treasure it. That ceiling will stop you flying away into not-space like a great big CEO in a phallic-shaped spaceship.

• Haha
and again, so smug yet so awkward plus bonus dad joke.

the whole hands in pockets, but thumbs out like a cowboy thing puts me about (as they say here in my adoptive home city where it turns out this twit was born)

20210812_215020.jpg

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
and again, so smug yet so awkward plus bonus dad joke.

the whole hands in pockets, but thumbs out like a cowboy thing puts me about (as they say here in my adoptive home city where it turns out this twit was born)

View attachment 710232
He has two honorary doctorates. The one above is from York St John and it appears he has another from a while back from Kingston.

Is there someone else we know who has two honorary degrees?

😏🤔

I have decided to give myself an honorary pat on the back for finding this information out.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
MH asks Twitter for film recommendations - family visiting and looking for a film suitable for all. Manages to sneak in a bit of smug.
E0ADF651-00C7-4336-900E-78C35DE4AB0F.jpeg
Bless him.

• Sick
  • Haha
He posted the original tweet asking for film recommendations with an eye on that prize reveal didn’t he? Jesus, he is the most narcissistic, fragile-egoed disaster area.

Reactions: 8