Matt Haig

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
His recent post 'things I learned the hard way' has made me irrationally angry. So I've sat with it for a little bit and really thought about why he rubs me up the wrong way. And it's because he never talks about the wider socioeconomic factors that contribute to mental illness. The total decimation of mental health services in the NHS by the current government. Poverty, cost of living crisis, insecure work, homelessness. Austerity in general. Are these the only reason a lot of people suffer with mental illness? No. But they sure as hell make a significant contribution.
And in my personal opinion, if you are a popular mental health writer who has profited off the back of mental illness, you should be talking about these things. I don't think it's enough to feign ignorance any more even if you come from a more privileged background because so many people are suffering so severely, that it's impossible to not see it.

I just know that if I had his platform and reach, I would be highlighting these issues on behalf of those who had given me said platform.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
His recent post 'things I learned the hard way' has made me irrationally angry. So I've sat with it for a little bit and really thought about why he rubs me up the wrong way. And it's because he never talks about the wider socioeconomic factors that contribute to mental illness. The total decimation of mental health services in the NHS by the current government. Poverty, cost of living crisis, insecure work, homelessness. Austerity in general. Are these the only reason a lot of people suffer with mental illness? No. But they sure as hell make a significant contribution.
And in my personal opinion, if you are a popular mental health writer who has profited off the back of mental illness, you should be talking about these things. I don't think it's enough to feign ignorance any more even if you come from a more privileged background because so many people are suffering so severely, that it's impossible to not see it.

I just know that if I had his platform and reach, I would be highlighting these issues on behalf of those who had given me said platform.
He needs to stop acting as this all knowing entity about mental health because he got his own issues horribly wrong for YEARS and he made a fortune on it too. If that does not make him a fraud, I’m not sure what does.

You don’t see any influencer ever acknowledging their privilege. Ella Mills is banging on constantly about anxiety, burn out etc and how minimal lifestyle changes make huge differences but never acknowledges that in certain cases that is NOT enough and they are not attainable for everyone and what the alternatives are.

Also the toxic positivity with all these people… Matt does it too. “Oh it’s not that I’m an entitled asshole, it’s my ADHD/depressions/autism” whatever they come up with that week.

They need to all collectively stop talking about things they simply are not qualified for. What they should see: if you struggle see a mental health professional and then advocate for/share/work with charities and organisations that would help people who can’t get the help they need connect with professionals and get proper diagnosis and treatment and help.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm begging him to put down the Tao Te Ching and pick up a copy of Gramsci or something.

"We go on about progress but in terms of the earth everything since the agrarian revolution has been regress." I can't....

"Punching up is still punching. And if 1000 people on the internet are all punching up at the same person then collectively they are punching down." I mean, you chose to sit there every evening loudly being a dumbass on a notoriously vituperative public platform. Twitter isn't compulsory.

"The only problem money fixes is the problem of not having money. But that is a problem." I just can't.....

"Book snobs be damned." Gee I wonder why.

Yummy mummy brigade bowled over by his insights in the comments as per.

Reactions: 7
One of Matt’s recent posts about why he doesn’t like social media anymore popped up on my feed….if he hates it so much why doesn’t he just get off it and stay off it?

Reactions: 8
Nope, still insufferable. He's somehow been making the Israel/Palestine conflict (!) and now Matthew Perry's death all about himself and his own preoccupations (ranting about the gun lobby in a tribute). I've never known someone so self-absorbed and self-righteous at the same time.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
Nope, still insufferable. He's somehow been making the Israel/Palestine conflict (!) and now Matthew Perry's death all about himself and his own preoccupations (ranting about the gun lobby in a tribute). I've never known someone so self-absorbed and self-righteous at the same time.
The gun lobby? I know he's not exactly on first name terms with reality but it's hard to imagine how that fits the picture?

ETA went and found it.
Stopped counting after twenty uses of "I" so unsure of exact total.
Love it when people use a death as an excuse to pay "tribute" via stories that centre themselves, absolutely unsurprised that he's done it, the sulky little narc.
What a hot take re the opiate crisis. Cutting edge.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
The gun lobby? I know he's not exactly on first name terms with reality but it's hard to imagine how that fits the picture?

ETA went and found it.
Stopped counting after twenty uses of "I" so unsure of exact total.
Love it when people use a death as an excuse to pay "tribute" via stories that centre themselves, absolutely unsurprised that he's done it, the sulky little narc.
What a hot take re the opiate crisis. Cutting edge.
God that was hard to read. Why does everything have to be about him 🙄

Reactions: 7
God that was hard to read. Why does everything have to be about him 🙄
Because he had the most depressing depression and the most anxious anxiety and I assume now has the most autistic autism despite being a white man (ie the medical demographic most frequently diagnosed as children) who "masked" til he was well over forty ok?

And it's not his fault it's because of his ADHD (see white male comment).

Stop bullying him or he'll have to leave social media again.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6