Madeleine Olivia #2 Sustainability is so 2018, Buy my affiliates if you want to be green!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What will it take to get her to label Ads in the title?! She's been sponsored by some sort of 'sustainable' palm oil company now. I do not trust her at all, and judging by the comments, neither do a lot of her viewers. You can avoid a lot of these oils by eating more whole foods and less processed foods. I'm not about to be spending yet more time than I already do looking at ingredients lists...

Reactions: 11
Someone must’ve been reading her tattle thread lately.
Too bad I’ve already written her off completely and am determined never to watch a video of hers again (also, I don’t know why this showed up on you YT homepage. I unfollowed het months ago).
TBH it's a thinly veiled advert for a palm oil company.

Reactions: 6
Uh I tried. But that was one boring video.
The thing is, her viewers like these kind of videos, but this felt so forced, scripted and fake. We all know she spends hundreds of pounds a week on food and buys all sorts of crap processed foods 🙄
Not for one minute do I believe she's reading the labels for 'sustainable' oils on her normal weekly shop.

Reactions: 11
For someone who has just spent nearly 2k on a tap, a video of her doing budget anything feels patronising, and sticks in my throat.

• Wow
Reactions: 22
Someone must’ve been reading her tattle thread lately.
Too bad I’ve already written her off completely and am determined never to watch a video of hers again (also, I don’t know why this showed up on you YT homepage. I unfollowed het months ago).
Came up on mine too. Unfollowed her fews ago.
Banging on about Palm oil, knew then this was a fake budget shop in the guise of a budget shop!!!

Reactions: 4
For someone who has just spent nearly 2k on a tap, a video of her doing budget anything feels patronising, and sticks in my throat.
I flicked through and it’s misleading as it’s £35. Also there was no plan to it. If your on a budget you make a list then pick up what you need. It could have been a 10 min video but there was way to much waffle.
Pick up limes/rainbow plant life (I can’t remember which) did a video recently along with a free PDF of meals for a budget shop but obviously she would not get paid for that.

have any videos been posted without a sponsor recently?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Well if you ever wondered what her USP is these days, she seems to have set herself up as a 'Greenwasher' for any business or organisation that is prepared to pay her enough. She's their ideal demographic - a wealthy white female consumer in the 25 - 45yr age band living in a developed country.

The video was sponsored by the CPSO (Centre for Sustainable Palm Oil Studies) which was set up by the Malaysian Government and is a massive attempt to greenwash the industry. Can we count the red flags here? Even Greenpeace describes 'sustainable palm oil certification' as "useless as a chocolate teapot" I guess it's hard to do any independent research when a sponsor waves dollars in front of you. One has a peloton and a wedding to pay for don't you know?

She also completely ignores the facts that the palm oil industry is rife with human trafficking, child exploitation, and human rights abuses. Oh and let's not forget the pesticides and herbicides used that affect the land and the workers exposed to them.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
I was wondering how that trolley cost her £15, but no, it actually cost £35. She subtracted £5 for some chocolate bars, because they didn't count for some reason, then she halved the remaining £30 between her and Alex. So really this wasn't a £15 grocery haul at all!

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I haven't finished the video yet but there's a bit where she says something like "If you don't know how to cook, then watch my videos and learn!" with a laugh and I had to roll my eyes. She always positions herself as some big cooking expert and she really isn't. She hasn't made cooking videos in months because she's been swanning around obsessing about floors and taps, she relies on buying and recommending readymeals and meat substitutes (this is a personal pet peeve of mine as a lifelong vegetarian - not all of us want things to taste like meat! Shock, horror, vegetables are enough ON THEIR OWN. Anyway.) - all while sounding really patronising and defensive when she’s questioned. Whatever passion she had for food in the past has clearly left, with greed and consumerism taking its place instead.

Reactions: 13
I was wondering how that trolley cost her £15, but no, it actually cost £35. She subtracted £5 for some chocolate bars, because they didn't count for some reason, then she halved the remaining £30 between her and Alex. So really this wasn't a £15 grocery haul at all!
Yeah, considering the tofoo is £2, and the coconut yoghurt she got is £2.50, she got 6 lemons at 30p EACH, the shopping was never going to come to £15

The comments are very negative about the palm oil sponsor. Wouldn't be surprised if she turns them off.

Reactions: 7
Yeah, considering the tofoo is £2, and the coconut yoghurt she got is £2.50, she got 6 lemons at 30p EACH, the shopping was never going to come to £15

The comments are very negative about the palm oil sponsor. Wouldn't be surprised if she turns them off.
i wonder if she’s surprised by the negativity? It seems obvious to me her audience (people much like all of us who were fans once and who care about sustainability) would be concerned about palm oil and sceptical of an ad campaign like this.

Also it is not hard at all to put AD in the title and thumbnail. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Plus the fact that there’s nothing in the shop she could make a full meal out of and Alex starts banging on about his soup maker…

What planet is she on?

Plus the fact that there’s nothing in the shop she could make a full meal out of and Alex starts banging on about his soup maker…

What planet is she on?
And only halt way through the shop she says shall we keep it under £40-30 pounds so I don’t even think it was the plan going in.

Reactions: 4
Screenshot_20211122-082748_YouTube.jpg

I don't get it. She doesn't have any training or chef experience, so surely the right response here would be to remind people that they too can teach themselves how to cook in their own kitchens? Instead she's making herself out to be qualified to give classes and make money off subscribers.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Well if you ever wondered what her USP is these days, she seems to have set herself up as a 'Greenwasher' for any business or organisation that is prepared to pay her enough. She's their ideal demographic - a wealthy white female consumer in the 25 - 45yr age band living in a developed country.
Yeah, she's an up and coming Fleur de Force.
Maddie de Moocher

View attachment 880916

I don't get it. She doesn't have any training or chef experience, so surely the right response here would be to remind people that they too can teach themselves how to cook in their own kitchens? Instead she's making herself out to be qualified to give classes and make money off subscribers.
Baffling, are they on the wind up?

Reactions: 3
I got patronising tones from the video, she was almost bashing us stupid people for thinking all palm oil was bad for the environment and she kept saying other vegetable oils are bad bad bad.... not everyone has the budget to buy greenwashed food with fake palm oil certifications. Palm oil is bad for the environment and producers add it to every processed product it seems, so I feel like she was trying to lecture her viewers... for something that is not strictly within the consumers’ full control. Basically saying if you buy this special certified palm oil produce then you are good and if you buy anything with bog standard palm oil then you are bad...

TLDR; she accepted a random palm oil company ad and tried to make a supermarket shop into a lecture about good palm oil versus uncertified palm oil, when in actual fact both are bad...

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.