Madeleine McCann #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I get the impression that some people on this thread have a really difficult time in separating poor parenting (leaving the children alone) and murderous parents. One doesn't necessarily lead to the other!
I agree with this statement. They were definitely poor parents. I'm not convinced they were murderous parents. There poor parenting allowed this to happen and its infuriating that they take absolutely no responsibility for this. Its one thing to parent differently but there are very few parents that would think it was okay to leave their children alone at night and even more so after hearing one of them was up and crying the night before.

Reactions: 12
I get the impression that some people on this thread have a really difficult time in separating poor parenting (leaving the children alone) and murderous parents. One doesn't necessarily lead to the other!
I think most people are fully capable of understanding that many terrible parents don’t end up killing their children. So what?

Any decent investigator looking at a situation in which a child is missing takes the parents’ reported parenting and behaviour into consideration. They don’t just assume that lots of bad parents don’t kill their children, so these parents must be innocent of involvement with this disappearance.

I think it’s very reasonable for outsiders to look at the McCann’s astonishing lack of empathy and disregard of safeguarding for their children and wonder what else they may have been capable of in a very weird case in which £millions in public funding and many years’ worth of supposed investigations have provided absolutely zero further evidence of an “abduction”.

And you have jumped to a conclusion by suggesting that people think the parents are “murderous”. I don’t think that.

Reactions: 13
I don't think that anyone thinks that they intentionally murdered Madeleine. Their negligence, however, led to either:

* She was abducted
* She wandered off and had an accident, either while drugged or trying to find them when they "didn't come"
* She was drugged and accidentally overdosed or had an accident in the apartment

People suspect that they covered up their negligence by hiding and then disposing of her body to avoid (a) the twins being taken off them by social services and/or (b) being struck off if it were proven that the children were drugged.

Ed to add: some people also suspect that they may have been involved with pweirdos based on a report from two other doctors on a previous holiday and the high level assistance given to the McCanns compared to the families of other British children missing abroad such as the family of Ben Needham for one. They also met up with Clement Freud.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
Whatever happened to Madeleine in that apartment it is down to the actions of her parents.
They left their children alone and Madeleine’s disappearance is a direct consequence of that.
People can defend them all they like but without their irresponsible actions we’d never have even heard of them.
Their social life came above their children - I don’t know how they behaved at home but it certainly was more important to them in Portugal.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Either way they ARE rubbish parents due to their own negligence. What stands out for me is that whilst most of Praia del Luz were scouring the town and surrounding area for Their Daughter, these two went off to have their previously booked tennis lesson! I mean WTF????????

• Heart
Reactions: 29
It’s on YouTube, it’s called “Madeleine McCann Case Solved”. Go to his channel where you’ll see the full list of the series. I would be very interested in discussing it if you do get around to watching it. The detail is phenomenal, I’ve never seen anything like it.
I started watching this morning, it’s incredibly detailed and informative. Shame that it won’t be shown on British tv!

Reactions: 9
I don't think that anyone thinks that they intentionally murdered Madeleine. Their negligence, however, led to either:

* She was abducted
* She wandered off and had an accident, either while drugged or trying to find them when they "didn't come"
* She was drugged and accidentally overdosed or had an accident in the apartment

People suspect that they covered up their negligence by hiding and then disposing of her body to avoid (a) the twins being taken off them by social services and/or (b) being struck off if it were proven that the children were drugged.

Ed to add: some people also suspect that they may have been involved with pweirdos based on a report from two other doctors on a previous holiday and the high level assistance given to the McCanns compared to the families of other British children missing abroad such as the family of Ben Needham for one. They also met up with Clement Freud.
Erm no I definitely think they killed her. Lots of people do. This is not a normal missing persons case - there is so much more at play with this case involving the Mccans and other much more prominent and connected people.

Reactions: 8
I started watching this morning, it’s incredibly detailed and informative. Shame that it won’t be shown on British tv!
He has been asked about doing a shorter more “Netflix style” version to make it more digestible to a wider audience. He effectively said it can’t be done because without the painstaking detail it would be quickly picked apart by people who who only know the most superficial reported version of the story. The U.K. press was unbelievably compliant in going along with the McCanns story from the beginning. People put this down to class but I suspect if it hadn’t happened abroad, with the McCanns PR team being able to mislead and obfuscate with stories about the supposed blundering of the Portuguese police, they wouldn’t have got away with it in the same way.

Reactions: 6
He has been asked about doing a shorter more “Netflix style” version to make it more digestible to a wider audience. He effectively said it can’t be done because without the painstaking detail it would be quickly picked apart by people who who only know the most superficial reported version of the story. The U.K. press was unbelievably compliant in going along with the McCanns story from the beginning. People put this down to class but I suspect if it hadn’t happened abroad, with the McCanns PR team being able to mislead and obfuscate with stories about the supposed blundering of the Portuguese police, they wouldn’t have got away with it in the same way.
I agree it's absolutely brilliant, and anything less than his absolute attention to every detail is a discredit to Madeleine.
(It did feel though that the section on the curtains in part2 was just a bit too repetitive, the point was made in much less time than he needed to keep going over it).

I also agree the Peter Hyatt interviews "embedded confessions" is extremely eye opening and revealing.

Is Hyatt's video on YouTube?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I haven’t looked at the details of this case for years, but am I remembering correctly that one of the Tapas lot was gone from the table for a long time and came back wearing different trousers? He claimed the child he was checking on was unwell and had vomited over him. Who leaves their child alone while they go out drinking, and then leaves them again when they’ve been vomiting? The whole bunch of them were negligent, they went out every single night.
In any crime like this, police are told to look close to home and investigate the family. Instead of that, the McCanns became some sort of celebrities. I still remember Gerry saying he wanted a role as ambassador for missing children. And laughing ‘ask the dogs’.
I believe Kate and Gerry know exactly what happened to their little girl.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 24
I haven’t looked at the details of this case for years, but am I remembering correctly that one of the Tapas lot was gone from the table for a long time and came back wearing different trousers? He claimed the child he was checking on was unwell and had vomited over him. Who leaves their child alone while they go out drinking, and then leaves them again when they’ve been vomiting? The whole bunch of them were negligent, they went out every single night.
In any crime like this, police are told to look close to home and investigate the family. Instead of that, the McCanns became some sort of celebrities. I still remember Gerry saying he wanted a role as ambassador for missing children. And laughing ‘ask the dogs’.
I believe Kate and Gerry know exactly what happened to their little girl.
I found the “ask the dogs Sandra” thing eerie

Reactions: 7
Either way they ARE rubbish parents due to their own negligence. What stands out for me is that whilst most of Praia del Luz were scouring the town and surrounding area for Their Daughter, these two went off to have their previously booked tennis lesson! I mean WTF????????
Seriously? Is that true? How on earth could you even think of having a tennis lesson when your child had gone missing.

Reactions: 10
Total oddballs.
They know something that’s for sure.
I hadn’t seen the bogart YT videos so thanks for adding that info, I’m ploughing through them at the moment. I think she died after an accident in the apartment and they covered it up personally. They just lost the plot thinking they were ( and quite rightly ) going to lose literally everything. I don’t think the Tapas 7 or whatever are not complicit as I just think Kate and Gerry will take it to their graves what happened. They are stuck with one another for life.

Reactions: 8
Total oddballs.
I hadn’t seen the bogart YT videos so thanks for adding that info, I’m ploughing through them at the moment. I think she died after an accident in the apartment and they covered it up personally. They just lost the plot thinking they were ( and quite rightly ) going to lose literally everything. I don’t think the Tapas 7 or whatever are not complicit as I just think Kate and Gerry will take it to their graves what happened. They are stuck with one another for life.
I think that’s the most likely scenario too…

Total oddballs.
I used to think this, however since watching the Richard hall and Peter Hyatt videos my opinion is now very much with that of @BettyCrockerr
...sadly it is far more sinister than many of us could ever dare/dread to imagine.

Edit to add.. first time commenting here... Apologies if I should have introduced myself?! Fairly new to tattle so unsure of the tattle etiquette 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Total oddballs.
See with this I think a genuine accident you wouldn't automatically assume that people would suspect you. If I compare to say Jamie Bulgers mum who took her eyes off her child and let go of his hand. Absolutely no one says this is her fault - rightly so - it wasn't. Accidents happen, kids are walking accidents. If it was a genuine accident you'd hold your hands up and say my kid fell out the window or down the stairs or whatever whilst I was on the loo or turned my back. Fully believable.
Which makes me think that they do not see anything wrong with leaving their kids alone. Again Jamie bulgers mum has torn herself up saying i shouldnt have let go of his hand and she has everyones sympathy. You dont see this regret from the mccanns. Parents see parents and we know yyqou can let go of their hand or turn away for a minute and theyve scaled a tree. An accident would have been way more believable than this. Its so unbelievable it almost has to be true.
Am I making sense?!

Reactions: 17
I am watching the first one. I have friends who live in luz (or did they’ve since moved but have other friends I know who still live there) I know Chaplins I’ve been there a few times. It’s a long walk from there back to the ocean club. I really hope they weren’t going to chaplins and leaving the kids behind.
They were.

long ago sky news had comments under the stories (or it may have even been a forum) and there was a poster on there not long after Maddie disappeared who said the McCanns had staff from the Ocean Club physically fetch them from Chaplins one night because of complaints about Maddie's crying.

this poster, who has been holidaying there too that week, said when the truth came out about what was seen and heard by other holiday makers your jaw would drop.

off to dig….

————

aha! Vera of Essex….

When will people get it into their heads that MW’s did not and does not have a listening service in Portugal. This only applies in a few countries like Greece.
The reason for this is because The MW’s in Portugal was spread over a large area with no security walls and some of the apartments were not owned by MW’s.
What they did supply was a creche to leave children in at night so parents could go to dinner with their friends and then pick them up afterwards. It was open each night until about 11.30 or later if you made arrangements for a later pick up.
They also had a babysitting service where a person who normally worked in the creche by day stayed in the apartment and babysat the children.
Mark Warners offered this personal service to everyone, the only drawback being that it cost about £10 per hour. Maybe the McCann’s didn’t think their children were worth paying out money for.
The McCann’s went to another restaurant (Chaplin’s) the previous night which was even further away from where they were staying and they left their children alone even at that distance. Chaplin’s is 800 metres more in distance than the 200 metres it takes to get to the Tapas Bar.
MW’s staff had to go and find them and ask the McCann’s to return to their apartment as one of their children had been crying for over an hour and a half.
The next day MW’s offered them a babysitter for the night (for free) on the 3rd May and the McCann’s cancelled her services and went to the Tapas Bar which was 200 metres away not 50 yards as the McCann’s have stated).
Even after all that crying from their child the previous night, they still left their children alone again the next night. If that is not wilful neglect, what the hell is?

The reason I know this is that I was at MW’s in Praia de Luz at the same time as the McCann’s.
I was there with my daughter and granddaughter at the time Madeleine went missing.
I saw a lot of things while I was there but I can’t say what as both of us have given statements to the PJ.
We alternately went out and searched for Madeleine while her parents stayed indoors.
People on holiday and the people of Praia de Luz searched and some of the people took a week or more off to search for her.
The parents were far too busy going for a jog or playing tennis to do such a lowly thing as search for their own daughter.
When you do eventually learn of what did happen and what was seen, your jaw will drop down to the ground in complete shock.

The McCann’s were at Chaplin’s. I do know that for sure because me, my daughter and granddaughter were there at the time. I didn’t see the McCann’s being asked to return to see to their child because we left fairly early as my granddaughter was tired.

I did overhear some of the MW staff talking about this fact the next morning who were chatting amongst themselves as I was in the reception area waiting for my daughter and granddaughter to meet me there, that was the same day that Madeleine went missing.

Their opinion of the parents attitude of leaving their children alone each night wasn’t exactly flattering and according to them, that’s why MW’s offered them a babysitter for free for the night of the 3rd of May. I don’t deliberately listen to other people’s conversations but if you are standing round waiting for someone you can’t block out what you hear people talking about.

I also overheard a woman telling the police on one of the following days about a child was crying for a long time as I was standing fairly close by, but I didn’t know that she was talking about Madeleine at the time.

All the people on holiday gave statements to the police and anything that was said to the PJ has to stay known only to them until they wish it to be made known to the public or not, so I can’t tell anyone about that either.

http://mccannexposure.wordpress.com/2010/08/21/seeking-vera-of-essex/

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
They were.

long ago sky news had comments under the stories (or it may have even been a forum) and there was a poster on there not long after Maddie disappeared who said the McCanns had staff from the Ocean Club physically fetch them from Chaplins one night because of complaints about Maddie's crying.

this poster, who has been holidaying there too that week, said when the truth came out about what was seen and heard by other holiday makers your jaw would drop.

off to dig….

————

aha! Vera of Essex….

When will people get it into their heads that MW’s did not and does not have a listening service in Portugal. This only applies in a few countries like Greece.
The reason for this is because The MW’s in Portugal was spread over a large area with no security walls and some of the apartments were not owned by MW’s.
What they did supply was a creche to leave children in at night so parents could go to dinner with their friends and then pick them up afterwards. It was open each night until about 11.30 or later if you made arrangements for a later pick up.
They also had a babysitting service where a person who normally worked in the creche by day stayed in the apartment and babysat the children.
Mark Warners offered this personal service to everyone, the only drawback being that it cost about £10 per hour. Maybe the McCann’s didn’t think their children were worth paying out money for.
The McCann’s went to another restaurant (Chaplin’s) the previous night which was even further away from where they were staying and they left their children alone even at that distance. Chaplin’s is 800 metres more in distance than the 200 metres it takes to get to the Tapas Bar.
MW’s staff had to go and find them and ask the McCann’s to return to their apartment as one of their children had been crying for over an hour and a half.
The next day MW’s offered them a babysitter for the night (for free) on the 3rd May and the McCann’s cancelled her services and went to the Tapas Bar which was 200 metres away not 50 yards as the McCann’s have stated).
Even after all that crying from their child the previous night, they still left their children alone again the next night. If that is not wilful neglect, what the hell is?

The reason I know this is that I was at MW’s in Praia de Luz at the same time as the McCann’s.
I was there with my daughter and granddaughter at the time Madeleine went missing.
I saw a lot of things while I was there but I can’t say what as both of us have given statements to the PJ.
We alternately went out and searched for Madeleine while her parents stayed indoors.
People on holiday and the people of Praia de Luz searched and some of the people took a week or more off to search for her.
The parents were far too busy going for a jog or playing tennis to do such a lowly thing as search for their own daughter.
When you do eventually learn of what did happen and what was seen, your jaw will drop down to the ground in complete shock.

The McCann’s were at Chaplin’s. I do know that for sure because me, my daughter and granddaughter were there at the time. I didn’t see the McCann’s being asked to return to see to their child because we left fairly early as my granddaughter was tired.

I did overhear some of the MW staff talking about this fact the next morning who were chatting amongst themselves as I was in the reception area waiting for my daughter and granddaughter to meet me there, that was the same day that Madeleine went missing.

Their opinion of the parents attitude of leaving their children alone each night wasn’t exactly flattering and according to them, that’s why MW’s offered them a babysitter for free for the night of the 3rd of May. I don’t deliberately listen to other people’s conversations but if you are standing round waiting for someone you can’t block out what you hear people talking about.

I also overheard a woman telling the police on one of the following days about a child was crying for a long time as I was standing fairly close by, but I didn’t know that she was talking about Madeleine at the time.

All the people on holiday gave statements to the police and anything that was said to the PJ has to stay known only to them until they wish it to be made known to the public or not, so I can’t tell anyone about that either.

http://mccannexposure.wordpress.com/2010/08/21/seeking-vera-of-essex/
That poor little girl, it’s all so heart breaking. How could they leave their kids on their own like that. Hearing that Madeline was crying for 1.5 hours is bad enough tbh, that’s absolutely neglect. Horrible bastards whatever else they’ve done or not done.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
See with this I think a genuine accident you wouldn't automatically assume that people would suspect you. If I compare to say Jamie Bulgers mum who took her eyes off her child and let go of his hand. Absolutely no one says this is her fault - rightly so - it wasn't. Accidents happen, kids are walking accidents. If it was a genuine accident you'd hold your hands up and say my kid fell out the window or down the stairs or whatever whilst I was on the loo or turned my back. Fully believable.
Which makes me think that they do not see anything wrong with leaving their kids alone. Again Jamie bulgers mum has torn herself up saying i shouldnt have let go of his hand and she has everyones sympathy. You dont see this regret from the mccanns. Parents see parents and we know yyqou can let go of their hand or turn away for a minute and theyve scaled a tree. An accident would have been way more believable than this. Its so unbelievable it almost has to be true.
Am I making sense?!
I sort of know what you mean, and had the kids been considerably older that might be true but they were far too young to leave and I strongly suspect that all 3 had also been medicated which would have come out at the autopsy. When Gerry McCann found Madeleine dead he calculated very fast that he and Kate would be arrested for negligence at the very least. The kids would be taken from them and there would be a terrible scandal that would probably result in loss of jobs, lifestyle and reputation - and prison. This must have gone through his head at the speed of light and then he had an incredibly short window of time to formulate and enact a plan. It is absolutely chilling.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.