Lucy Letby Case #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
anyone there today who can comment om Lucy’s demeanour and tone when she’s answering the question about the other nurse (Belinda)?

Was it like “I couldn’t say” as in I genuinely don’t know, or “I couldn’t say 😏” as in I’m making an innuendo so you’ll think it could have been her..

If I ever make it to court I’ll make sure to order and wear some of these bum bum shorts so you all knows it’s me.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
How is this thread the funniest thread and the saddest thread all at the same time! It’s as contradictory as Lucy!! 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Mistrials only tend to happen if the jury cannot reach a verdict. I don't think delays will be grounds for mistrial. The only thing would be that the jury go down to below 9 members or they can't come to a unanimous or majority verdict after deliberations.

Says a a lot about her defence if BM is already prepping for an appeal.

Upon conviction, she wont have an automatic right to appeal - she would have to be granted permission to appeal. She would have to demonstrate that;
  • Judge has made a error in law (mis-advising the jury for example)
  • Bias - the judge has shown bias during proceedings - reporting suggests this hasn't happened here - in fact he has been very fair to her and has acommodated her requests throughout. He's allowed BM to object and has reprimanded NJ when he's got a bit... spicy.
  • Admissibility of evidence - I imagine that was all agreed before the trial started - hence all the legal discussions. IIRC the judge already dismissed some of the charges the CPS brought against her.
  • If Jury have been naughty and have been found to have conducted research outside of the courtroom or has contacted witnesses etc.
  • There is a change in legislation and someone has been convicted of something that has been legalised after conviction - not gonna happen here.
  • New evidence which if heard during the trial would have introduced sufficient reasonable doubt which may have returned a NG verdict.
  • The last ground would be an unsafe guilty plea (i.e false confessions and the like) - not applicable here.

Its been a while since my law A level but from what I can gather from reporting so far, the judge has done a great job keeping proceedings as fair as possible. He can't control Juror sickness or other delays but as long as he follows the correct processes in dealing with such, the integrity of the trial will remain intact.

Apologies for the long post.... 😳
Oh you little beauty! Thank you for this.

Just to confirm am I now able to put you on my TEA list? *Tattle Expert Adviser*

Take some pressure off poor lilyrose1234 😂😂😂

Others on the list include:
@pissedandsad Our USA correspondent
@Tofino Our wiki expert
@MmmB777 Expert in HCSKs
@docmum Knows about haemorrhoids and stuff
@Lucyxxxx Our resident poet
@Haveyouanywool Has forgotten what she knew

• Haha
Reactions: 32

Just to confirm am I now able to put you on my TEA list? *Tattle Expert Adviser*

@Tofino Our wiki expert
@MmmB777 Expert in HCSKs
possibly the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me, cheers lovely 🥹😘

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Mistrials only tend to happen if the jury cannot reach a verdict. I don't think delays will be grounds for mistrial. The only thing would be that the jury go down to below 9 members or they can't come to a unanimous or majority verdict after deliberations.

Upon conviction, she wont have an automatic right to appeal - she would have to be granted permission to appeal. She would have to demonstrate that;
  • Bias - the judge has shown bias during proceedings - reporting suggests this hasn't happened here - in fact he has been very fair to her and has acommodated her requests throughout. He's allowed BM to object and has reprimanded NJ when he's got a bit... spicy.
  • Admissibility of evidence - I imagine that was all agreed before the trial started - hence all the legal discussions. IIRC the judge already dismissed some of the charges the CPS brought against her.
  • If Jury have been naughty and have been found to have conducted research outside of the courtroom or has contacted witnesses etc.
  • There is a change in legislation and someone has been convicted of something that has been legalised after conviction - not gonna happen here.
  • New evidence which if heard during the trial would have introduced sufficient reasonable doubt which may have returned a NG verdict.
  • The last ground would be an unsafe guilty plea (i.e false confessions and the like) - not applicable here.

Its been a while since my law A level but from what I can gather from reporting so far, the judge has done a great job keeping proceedings as fair as possible. He can't control Juror sickness or other delays but as long as he follows the correct processes in dealing with such, the integrity of the trial will remain intact.

No apology needed, this was very reassuring! With all the jury issues I thought things were on a shoogly peg, but it seems it's not as bad as it maybe looks.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think you’ve got her spot on, it’s about her being in control or not.
Question for our NICU/ITU nurses. Is it usual or common for neonates to have pink/bloodstained secretions from the ET tube? I only have experience of trachys in adults so I’m not sure on this.
No. I've never seen it. We tend to see only clear, yellow or green on neonates and only when we suction. I guess it's not impossible if it's a difficult intubation but in one of Letby's victims there was so much that it was difficult to visualise the cords. That's not normal.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 24

@Tofino Our wiki expert
@MmmB777 Expert in HCSKs
I can not recall where my own arse is but may invest in some crutch full, pinching cycling shorts as a constant reminder.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
anyone there today who can comment om Lucy’s demeanour and tone when she’s answering the question about the other nurse (Belinda)?

Was it like “I couldn’t say” as in I genuinely don’t know, or “I couldn’t say 😏” as in I’m making an innuendo so you’ll think it could have been her..

If I ever make it to court I’ll make sure to order and wear some of these bum bum shorts so you all knows it’s me.
Imagine we all rocked up to the court wearing them like a band of baboons 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18

@Tofino Our wiki expert
@MmmB777 Expert in HCSKs
Oh you are lovely ❤

I am no expert by any means. I just have a brain full of random titbits 🥰 happy to share and help where I can.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Thank you for this, it is helpful and I like to know stuff 😊

Reactions: 9
@LilyRose1234 oh I'm sorry for tagging you again, please don't block me 😂😂😂

Is the possibility of a mistral a real one? Could this case really collapse because of the stopping and starting/problematic jury?
Haha I won’t block you as long as you only ask things I know the answer too 😂

I honestly don’t know, but the judge and the legal teams will know, so I’d guess if they thought this would be potential grounds of a mistrial and it’s the same juror, they’d have gone down to 11 to be safe. The fact they’ve kept going would suggest to me that on its own it doesn’t jeopardise the trial but that’s just me guessing really

• Heart
Reactions: 17
It was bad enough when I started getting Matalan adverts after joining this thread but no now I’m also getting the baboon butt advert!!!

Peeved that it’s not continuing tomorrow but does mean I can give my full attention to the new person in my team I’m supposed to be training instead of giving her long tedious tasks while I catch up here 😬 feel bad for the families and also for no BNE tomorrow, he seemed excellent today from the reporting!!!! (He’s excellent every day 😍 but today especially 😍😍😍😍😍)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Also I’m going to speculate further and suggest that given having an effective defence (so BM) that is on parity with prosecution is part of your right to a fair trial, I don’t think BM could just ride it out so he can appeal later, he’d need to be bringing it up now that it’s jeopardising the trial or I can’t see the court of appeal liking the fact she had a perfectly competent KC who just didn’t raise the issue at all… 🤷🏼‍♀️ again, just speculating really but defeats the point of having a very experience lawyer if they can just ride out a trial so they can appeal later, if that makes sense?

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.