Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

stardust1

VIP Member
It could be that she just had more opportunities with some of the babies. Some of them could have had a parent with them 24/7 while another baby may have been alone some of the time.
good point here. Whilst we were in NICU there was plenty babies left alone all day. There was a one next to us who saw no one except their nurse all day.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 28

Tofino

VIP Member
Im going to ask for a wiki page, just for links to live reporting and facts that come out of court. These threads are going to be so fast moving.

Tofino

VIP Member
Really shocking but I’m keeping an open mind, all we’ve heard is the prosecution barrister.. no actual evidence or testimony.

Regarding the Facebook thing, without going into detail of my experience it’s really not uncommon for nurses/staff to look you up. My husband was even searched on Linkedin when he went in to hospital (you get a notification!). That said, if she was looking up the parents that’s not a crime and doesn’t indicate one way or another to her likelihood of being a murderer!
I’m horrified at the thought that it’s not uncommon for nurses to look up patients on Facebook! Maybe they all need to think twice now it’s being used as evidence against Lucy for a murder trial.

klarakluckbag

VIP Member
The thing that gets me (of course aside from the appalling deaths and attempted murders) is that we are all so trusting when we have a loved one in hospital, we just put everything in the hands of the professionals and assume they are doing their best - thank god they usually are - but in this tiny 1% case like this it really makes you think about the times you have leaned on the professionals and how vulnerable you are as a patient / parent of a patient etc. When your child is in NICU you have no choice than to put blind faith into those around you. It just makes the details all the more disgusting if true.
This is very true. I used to visit postnatal women at their home. In over 10 years, I was only ever asked to show my work I.D. badge three times (twice by the same person). It just didn't occur to people that I would be any sort of threat. I've been left alone with newborn babies numerous times, by people who are complete strangers to me. My background has been thoroughly checked, but that just proves that I've never been caught doing anything nefarious, it dorsn't prove that I'm not a criminal. It's an imperfect system at the best of times, but something has clearly gone terribly wrong at this hospital. Those poor families, there's no good outcome here really, is there?

• Heart
Does anyone remember the Essex lorry deaths? the driver was found guilty but prior to being convicted he had quite a following of support and he looked like a really nice guy and no one really thought he was capable and loads of people thought he was a scapegoat and that he had no involvement and people really felt sorry for him but he was involved all along. That absolutely makes me feel sick to my stomach that there is a possibility she could actually be guilty.

• Wow

super grateful

If she is found guilty, I’d like to know how and why the incidents began occurring. Was this always her motive? Did she slog through a Nursing degree (with all the emotional, financial, intellectual struggles that comes with) and then interviews and training with the goal of being in a place where she could carry these acts out? Or was all this done as innocently as possible and 1 day something caused her to act? Something personal or professional? And urge she was suppressing came to the surface?

I know we will never know. I’d like to know

e.l.lofthouse

VIP Member
Whether she's guilty or not, that hospital FAILED. How the fuck didn't they know? If babies were dying bur doctors say they were abnormally hard to resuscitate etc surely they would have known something was going on? And why weren't there others checking the medication?

• Heart

abusyday

I'll be interested to see whether there's anything in her personality or background that points to feigning illnesses or making up things for attention/ personality disorder. As attention seeking may be a motive for this.

Absolutely horrendous and I hope that she is not guilty although what has been uncovered in the last few hours really does not look good for her.

countrybumpkin92

I’m horrified at the thought that it’s not uncommon for nurses to look up patients on Facebook! Maybe they all need to think twice now it’s being used as evidence against Lucy for a murder trial.
It’s 100% not uncommon, my cousin is a midwife and she said her colleagues are often looking at peoples profiles. If someone comes in talking about jobs or expensive houses etc. they will look them up out of curiosity. On the flip side she has had about 2 flirty Facebook messages from husbands. I suppose it’s like anything be careful about what you put online because anyone can be watching! I’m really not making excuses as I think it’s pretty creepy… but I guess it’s just human nature.

• Wow

yellowboat

“In November 2020, Letby was asked by police about a handover sheet relating to Child B found at her home address in a search.” this throws major red flags! BA took home the allocation book. Was LL trying to hide something?

• Wow

WonderShade18

I personally am totally shook at what came up today. I was not expecting to hear anything like this. I don't know what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting to hear much, on the basis of the reporting restriction that was put in place. We are going to hear every detail aside from identities. It's going to be a tough six months. I'm open minded, however at this stage, I struggle to imagine a circumstance where this could have happened innocently.

Reactions: 27

Polythene Pam

Chatty Member
I think her defence will just be she didn’t do it and she can’t explain how it happened. She doesn’t need to provide an alternative theory, it’s up to the prosecution to prove she did it.
I agree. We have seen that already re the Facebook searches where she said she doesn't remember but if that's what they found then she accepts she did. Not offering any other explanation.
I would also hate to be judged on my internet history, without context these things can look very strange. I won't say I've never searched for a random person I've encountered, I'm a nosey begger.

yellowboat

For me this doesn't raise red flags, I've accidentally taken home a few handover sheets when tired after 12.5 hour shifts . I normally take it in when I'm next in and pop it in the confidential waste but I can see how someone can forget.
She wasn’t the nurse for child B so why would she have the handover sheet for child B? I absolutely have taken home my lists but it never contains information about a patient not in my care. That’s the red flag for me

• Wow

Aberscot

Chatty Member
Adjourned for the day, is it just me or has a lot came out on day 1, it’s going to be a long 6 months.
Poor parents of Baby A and B, I bet they give the wee girl an extra cuddle tonight

• Heart
Reactions: 26

hello from me

VIP Member
One thing I don't get and I may have missed this. If child A was killed first for example. At the post mortem if they found air or insulin that should not have been there. Then how was she (if it was her) able to go on killing others.
Wonder if the parents were told at the time that their child died of one thing. Then after a review found they died from the real reason.

veevee04

VIP Member
“That case really affected me so I checked up on their parents Facebook on Christmas Day as I expected they would post about baby X’

Looking up patients on facebook is questionable especially when they aren't your own patient's which some of them weren't. That is a breach of confidentiality really and I don't think her professional body the RCN would be too pleased with it even without a murder charge. Also she said in interviews with the police she couldn't explain why so she stuffed that one.

“I regularly take information home, I revise before shift/on public transport so I can familiarise myself with my patients before I get to work’

Patient documentation is NEVER meant to leave the hospital. It's massively against information governance and would be again serious unprofessionalism and grounds for misconduct. That being said it does happen by accident and I used to have a manager who would take home imaging requests to vet which we didn't like her doing because it's massively against protocol

‘ I was in that room with that baby because that staff member was a new agency worker and I wanted to keep an eye on them/support them’

Someone would be assigned to that person if needed, in somewhere like NICU where it's very one to one nursing with the patients she would have been assigned to one baby and thats that really.

The mother who walked in may have seen her injecting something but understandably would have presumed it was a prescribed drug, that being said we don't know the circumstances so far on that and it is the job of the prosecution to dramatise events a bit....
It's the NMC the RCN is the union , there's nothing in the code that says staff can't look up people on social media if it's in the public domain. Adding them and trying to establish contact would be very much a no no and inappropriate. Some people are very nosey it seems to me Lucy didn't have much going on in her life apart from work . Her parents lived in Hereford and there doesn't seem to have been a partner.

Taking handover sheets also happens people have loads of stuff in their pockets and after a 12.5 hour shift you are in a rush to go home. I've always then popped them in the confidential waste bin some might forget . I do 1:1 nursing at times if someone is stable and another junior colleague needs help you go and assist. You help eachother. I'm also a member of groups related to my practice interests on SM. She could be guilty but a lot of this stuff can be answered away as a HCP myself . The opening statement should be really strong but it's not grabbing me as concrete guilt.

I'd be really interested to find out if LL picked up lots of overtime as I suspect , she seemed obsessed with the job and that would throw the statistics off. I wonder if the defence will bring it up.

countrybumpkin92

With this Facebook talk, I can’t see any instances where Facebook searching a victim’s families makes her more likely to be a murderer. I think it’s a weak prosecution argument using the fact she was looking them up to indicate anything more sinister (its a basic slippery slope argument fallacy). Searching for specifics on how to carry something out etc. is another matter.

I’m not saying she is innocent, I’m just saying it’s a type of argument that the prosecution will use but has no actual ramifications on making her more or less likely to murder.

• Heart

Ibrokethegoddamnwheel

Chatty Member
What has come out today certainly doesn’t look great but we have to remember this trial is set to last six months, there will be lots of twists and turns, shed loads of information, the prosecution will paint things one way, the defence another and it’s going to be an incredibly emotive trial. I’d imagine there will be days where we are convinced of her guilt and other days where we are not so sure.

I honestly don’t know what I think at this stage, it is too early in the trial for me to draw conclusions. As I said what we found out today doesn’t make LL look good at all, but we’re only hearing one side so far and the evidence hasn’t even been presented yet.

I just hope that in the end, the correct verdict is reached. It would be horrible if she was innocent and got found guilty, but it would also be terrifying if she did it and got away with it. I can’t imagine how the families of those poor babies are feeling right now, sadly there are no winners in this no matter the outcome but I hope they get some answers.

• Heart

savedlatin21

VIP Member
Comments posted by a lady saying 2 babies are in her family. She made these comments on a post saying Lucy is innocent
I read that there were two sets of twins amongst those killed/harmed. This poster is saying she was related to two deceased babies so I’m guessing one set of twins both died 🥲

I saw one set of twins the boy died and the girl lived. Imagine growing up knowing your twin was needlessly taken away from the life you should have shared together. So tragic.

• Sad