Lucy Letby Case #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There he goes again...implying SE not competent to care for baby C!! She had a senior with her in same room!!
If he has no more defence than this then LL needs to be worried šŸ˜”

• Angry
Reactions: 17
It just doesnt sound like a very nice question to ask to me... but then I'm not medical, so maybe it was ok. I think I'd be more expressing sadness that the baby had died.
Why is it not a nice question to ask? I know we live in an ableist world, but thereā€™s nothing actually offensive about querying whether a baby had an undiagnosed genetic problem.

Do they still do pre-birth screening for Downs Syndrome? They used to. I donā€™t think itā€™s 100% accurate but would it not pick up most cases?
Plus there are physical signs that would be noted after birth.
Yea but parents can - and do - opt out of screening. Itā€™s also a quite ā€œvagueā€ screening test. Blood tests are run and the results list the likelihood of the main three trisomies (Downs, Edwards and Patau syndromes), given as 1 in 5000, 1 in 10000 etc.

If the test comes back as higher risk, then amniocentesis is offered.

But even if a pregnancy appears to be low risk, sometimes a baby does turn out to have a trisomy rather unexpectedly. Because you could still be that one in 5000, IYSWIM.

Reactions: 5
Exactly.
If she had caused the incident that led to Baby Cā€™s dying, then ā€˜kept going into the roomā€™ to witness this while he was being held by his parents. Very sick.
It's making me so angry.....whether she's guilty or not she's one insensitive, almost sick witch and has shown it more than once šŸ˜”

View attachment 1693020
Not specifically about LL, but I feel so sorry for this young nurse.

šŸ’”
Me too....its awfulšŸ˜¢

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
I think someone else mentioned that there's no specific training given for dealing with bereavement and so the instances we've seen don't strike me as totally 'out there'. I work in a field that requires some sensitivity, and sometimes around children. Before I had children of my own I now realise, I probably spoke in ways, or suggested things, that I wouldn't now (placing myself in the place of a parent).

Reactions: 5
Having a newly qualified nurse under supervision of a senior nurse is good practice. Any nurse starting out their career in any ward, especially in a high dependency unit needs support. If she had of been left to her own devices I would agree that this would have been inappropriate. But to be placed under supervision whilst given a sick baby is in my view, good practice. No harm to the defence, but to me that is not a defence at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I think someone else mentioned that there's no specific training given for dealing with bereavement and so the instances we've seen don't strike me as totally 'out there'. I work in a field that requires some sensitivity, and sometimes around children. Before I had children of my own I now realise, I probably spoke in ways, or suggested things, that I wouldn't now (placing myself in the place of a parent).
I get that but shes shown herself to be insensitive, inappropriate and downright arrogant so far...she is certainly not coming across as " compassionate" ...well I dont think she is...I may be interpreting things differently.
In nursing some things you can't teach or train for...as in compassion and empathy...both of which she does appear lacking in in some scenarios!!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
God LL keep going into the family room despite being told not to. Even if she is innocent of this and we end up with an alternative explanation, was she just being a grief tourist or something? She had already said she didn't want to see family of baby A and B after everything and how hard it was, yet here she is inserting herself into the tradegy around Baby C despite it being nothing to do with her.
I have never heard that phrase "grief tourist" before but think it's pretty spot on for what she was at!! Such a freak.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Why is it not a nice question to ask? I know we live in an ableist world, but thereā€™s nothing actually offensive about querying whether a baby had an undiagnosed genetic problem.

Yea but parents can - and do - opt out of screening. Itā€™s also a quite ā€œvagueā€ screening test. Blood tests are run and the results list the likelihood of the main three trisomies (Downs, Edwards and Patau syndromes), given as 1 in 5000, 1 in 10000 etc.

If the test comes back as higher risk, then amniocentesis is offered.

But even if a pregnancy appears to be low risk, sometimes a baby does turn out to have a trisomy rather unexpectedly. Because you could still be that one in 5000, IYSWIM.
Iā€™m not saying it was necessarily an insensitive question, depending on context, but it could have been seen as an attempt to cast doubt on why the baby died, if it was one of the babies who died, in an effort to muddy the waters.

Reactions: 10
I get that but shes shown herself to be insensitive, inappropriate and downright arrogant so far...she is certainly not coming across as " compassionate" so far...well I dont think she is...I may be interpreting things differently.
In nursing some things you can't teach or train for...as in compassion and empathy...both of which she does appear lacking in in some scenarios!!
I myself think I would find it difficult on how to react in situations like that - part of me wouldn't want to walk away as I'd think the family would think I was rude or not supportive, but then part of me would want to walk away to let them have private time - I'd be questioning myself constantly on what was most appropriate. As I've gotten older I've learned just to ask what someone wants and that way I don't mess it up, but I think at 25 I'd have been absolutely useless at what was the 'right' thing to do.

Reactions: 11
I get that but shes shown herself to be insensitive, inappropriate and downright arrogant so far...she is certainly not coming across as " compassionate" so far...well I dont think she is...I may be interpreting things differently.
Nobody hurried me along when I was with my dog after he was put down. Absolutely insane to think any normal person would say what she did to Baby Cs parents whilst their baby was slowly passing away in their arms. Baby was still breathing. Donā€™t think you can take that in isolation either, of course things like that are less meaningful if looked at on their own.

• Heart
  • Sad
I myself think I would find it difficult on how to react in situations like that - part of me wouldn't want to walk away as I'd think the family would think I was rude or not supportive, but then part of me would want to walk away to let them have private time - I'd be questioning myself constantly on what was most appropriate. As I've gotten older I've learned just to ask what someone wants and that way I don't mess it up, but I think at 25 I'd have been absolutely useless at what was the 'right' thing to do.
But she wasnā€™t the designated nurse or even the one supporting the designated nurse. She had her own babies to be caring for. Itā€™s bizarre she decided to get involved with the parents when it was nothing of her concern.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
So, according to what we're hearing:

Sophie Ellis was 'a very competent nurse' who was familiar with the ward.
Melanie Taylor was also there for support.
There had been 'no clinical concerns' for Child C when shift began.
The baby in LL's care was seen as the 'most concerning' of the two in terms of physical condition.

Defence is still pushing the idea that hospital failings were responsible for the deaths. I understand this is his job and it's a fair line of questioning, but I'm not finding the argument very convincing at this stage because it seems insufficient to explain the collapses.

1667220148926.png

• Heart
She was asked more than once though by the shift leader to leave the family alone and go back to her designated baby. Itā€™s the being repeatedly asked that is the big red flag šŸš©šŸš©šŸš©

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Yeah...I get you but my point also is...why the hell is she interfering and not concentrating on her own live babiesišŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢Baby C was not her patient...it's bizarre at the very leastšŸ™„

• Heart
I agree re people all respond differently in very different situations. I think the part thatā€™s harder to explain away is that she was repeatedly told by her boss to leave the room. So she was clearly aware she didnā€™t need/wasnā€™t wanted there

She was asked more than once though by the shift leader to leave the family alone and go back to her designated baby. Itā€™s the being repeatedly asked that is the big red flag šŸš©šŸš©šŸš©
I could literally scream....I'm so angry at this point šŸ˜”

• Heart
I agree re people all respond differently in very different situations. I think the part thatā€™s harder to explain away is that she was repeatedly told by her boss to leave the room. So she was clearly aware she didnā€™t need/wasnā€™t wanted there
And they had just had a baby die yet there she was leaving a more poorly baby in a compromising situation.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 24
I could literally scream....I'm so angry at this point šŸ˜”
She's a sick person one way or the other. Say she didn't kill these babies, she still clearly "enjoyed" the parents pain on some level. She's exactly the type of person who should not be in ANY kind of caring profession.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.