Little things in life that annoy you immensely #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Soap opera actors, who decide they've outgrown the show and decide to leave and become a bigger star. Only to realise the grass isn't always greener(i.e. they don't have the acting talent) and subsequently end up back in the same show!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Soap opera actors, who decide they've outgrown the show and decide to leave and become a bigger star. Only to realise the grass isn't always greener(i.e. they don't have the acting talent) and subsequently end up back in the same show!
I never understand when they do this as soap acting is (relatively) stable for an actor in an industry which is anything but

Reactions: 3
Got another one. When people say things like "you've got too much time on your hands" or "I wish I had the time to do that" when you get to do something you enjoy or just a little hobby or anything really, its just so belittling and rude.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Got another one. When people say things like "you've got too much time on your hands" or "I wish I had the time to do that" when you get to do something you enjoy or just a little hobby or anything really, its just so belittling and rude.
Related to this, nowwadays people just seem to brag about how busy they are all the time, everyone seems to have "side hustles" (another term I hate). I don't see how people think it is a positive to not have any free time to relax

Reactions: 7
Related to this, nowwadays people just seem to brag about how busy they are all the time, everyone seems to have "side hustles" (another term I hate). I don't see how people think it is a positive to not have any free time to relax
Completely agree. Drives me insane.

Reactions: 1
When it comes to someone asking our name, why do people say "<surname>, <forename, surname>"

I will always give my forename first because that seems more logical, but sometimes if I'm in a waiting room for an appointment someone calls me by my surname first and then my full name! Why?

My Father was from the Ukraine, I have kept his surname because I am proud of it. However people tend to mis-pronounce it, which irritates me greatly. If I am on the phone to someone, I always spell out my name. But I'll be damned if I'm going to change my name, just to make things easier for myself.

Park in an almost empty carpark. only to return later to find someone has parked their car either adjacent or at the front/rear of mine, despite there being ample empty parking spaces available throughout the park!

Reactions: 5
When there’s two lanes that go into one but some clever selfish dick (usually in a range or a bmw) ignores everyone queuing and goes to the front to eventually be let in.

This sounds contradictory but ALSO people that don’t merge in immediately. I’m talking about adjoining traffic. I’ve flashed to let you in, go in front!!!!! but no they use ALL the mergey bit of road to eventually go in front creating more congestion. DRIVES ME INSANE!

Reactions: 10
I’m a mum to a boy and I hate that people who are mums to girls think I have absolutely no idea what it’s like to parent a girl - ‘you just wouldn’t understand’. Hold on, was I not a girl once? Am I not female? True I’m not a mum to a girl but I remember what it’s like to be a little girl. This has annoyed me for years. It’s like because I’m a ‘boy mum’ I’m not longer female it would seem.

Also, the way some women look down on having a boy. I have a friend who used to do this to, she had one girl at the time. She’d wrinkle her nose and say I just can’t imagine having a boy, as if it was the worst thing ever. She has a boy now and I reminded her what she said and she denied it! Hmm yes you definitely used to ‘feel sorry’ for me because I had a boy and couldn’t dress my kid in pink girly things. She said as much!

This same friend is so stuck in the pink is for girls, blue is for boys BS that it’s hard to talk to her about it. My son was trying to talk to her daughter about dinosaurs and she interrupted and said ‘x just likes LOL dolls’. As if she can’t also learn about dinos? I said to her daughter ‘you know 50% of dinosaurs were female’ lol that didn’t go down well!
Kind of related but it’s the gate keeping parents do in general. For instance ‘Mummy friends, do you have any recommendations for somewhere to take the kids this weekend?’ - why just Mummy friends? Why not everyone who’s capable of recognising somewhere appropriate to take children? Daddies. Grandparents, aunts and uncles, friends. We’re aware of what facilities are like too.

I absolutely despise when people say ‘as a parent I...’ then go on to claim something any normal, reasonable person would think. ‘As a parent I hate child killers’. This isn’t unique to parents! What about step-parents? Are they allowed to feel like that? Or a parent who’s child is now deceased? What about them? If you’re unable to have children, can you not have the same level of interest or outrage? Adoptive or Forster parents, people that act as caregivers but aren’t parents. There are Parents that abandoned their children, do they know better than a non-parent?
But no, you wouldn’t understand or feel as strongly because you’re not ‘a parent’.
I’m not a parent yet but I still have an opinion about child education, healthcare, social issues affecting children, danger etc

There are very few situations where this qualifier works without a further qualifier that makes their understanding/insight more unique.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Kind of related but it’s the gate keeping parents so in general. For instance ‘Mummy friends, do you have any recommendations for somewhere to take the kids this weekend?’ - why just Mummy friends? Why not everyone who’s capable of recognising somewhere appropriate to take children? Daddies. Grandparents, aunts and uncles, friends. We’re aware of what facilities are like too.

I absolutely despise when people say ‘as a parent I...’ then go on to claim something any normal, reasonable person would think. ‘As a parent I hate child killers’. This isn’t unique to parents! What about step-parents? Are they allowed to feel like that? Or a parent who’s child is now deceased? What about them? If you’re unable to have children, can you not have the same level of interest or outrage? Adoptive or Forster parents, people that act as caregivers but aren’t parents. There are Parents that abandoned their children, do they know better than a non-parent.
But no, you wouldn’t understand or feel as strongly because you’re not ‘a parent’.
I’m not a parent yet but I still have an opinion about child education, healthcare, social issues affecting children, danger etc

There are very few situations where this qualifier works without a further qualifier that makes their understanding/insight more unique.
I find anyone who constantly has to make reference to themselves being a parent completely nauseating. I totally get that to some people, their kids are their life...but it's not a competition! I have a friend whose FB page consists of those inspirational quotes about how wonderful it is to be a mum, 'my kids are my life, I would do anything for them - share if you agree'. Yes, I do agree, but I need neither affirmation from Facebook friends nor the need to bleat on about it every single day 😩

Which brings me tenuously to another pet peeve. People who buy you presents, but buy what they like, not what you like. My in-laws are terrible for this. They are obsessed with personalisation; I absolutely hate it. They know I'm not a particularly mumsy person (as already stated, I love my kids but I am also my own person). They also know I have an allergy to certain metals so I am very selective with the jewellery I wear. So what did they buy me a few years ago? A necklace with my children's names engraved on it, in a metal I am allergic to 🥴

Similarly their house is full of those crappy, fake coat of arms surname things that some bloke has designed on a computer rather than having any basis in actual heraldry. I had to try so hard to stifle my giggles when husband opened his very own, framed coat of arms from them on his last birthday.

God I'm such an ungrateful cow 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Kind of related but it’s the gate keeping parents do in general. For instance ‘Mummy friends, do you have any recommendations for somewhere to take the kids this weekend?’ - why just Mummy friends? Why not everyone who’s capable of recognising somewhere appropriate to take children? Daddies. Grandparents, aunts and uncles, friends. We’re aware of what facilities are like too.

I absolutely despise when people say ‘as a parent I...’ then go on to claim something any normal, reasonable person would think. ‘As a parent I hate child killers’. This isn’t unique to parents! What about step-parents? Are they allowed to feel like that? Or a parent who’s child is now deceased? What about them? If you’re unable to have children, can you not have the same level of interest or outrage? Adoptive or Forster parents, people that act as caregivers but aren’t parents. There are Parents that abandoned their children, do they know better than a non-parent?

Totally agree, it also must be horrible for someone who wants children and hasn't been able to to hear this constantly

Reactions: 4

YES! Also when you comment on a certain parenting technique or what you would do for example and then people say "Oh you're not a parent you wouldn't know"

Like yeah I'm not a parent but I have been a child? I know how I felt as a kid when my parents did certain things or handled certain things. It's not ridiculous stuff either, I'm not being like "oh I'm only going feed my kids organic vegan quinoa whole food paleo air borne diet". It's things like, I'm not going to make my kid hug people they don't want to or hit them as disicipline or pull their trousers down in front of people or tell them their feelings and opinions don't matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
YES! Also when you comment on a certain parenting technique or what you would do for example and then people say "Oh you're not a parent you wouldn't know"

Like yeah I'm not a parent but I have been a child? I know how I felt as a kid when my parents did certain things or handled certain things. It's not ridiculous stuff either, I'm not being like "oh I'm only going feed my kids organic vegan quinoa whole food paleo air borne diet" it things like, I'm not going to make my kid hug people they don't want to or hit them as disicipline or pull their trousers down in front of people or tell them their feelings and opinions don't matter.
Yes! I’m sure we can all admit there are ‘ideal world’ things that might fall by the wayside (no sweets until x age, say) but fundamental beliefs aren’t going to change or be flexed; suggesting otherwise is quite offensive. No, I can categorically tell you my child will never be forced to kiss relatives, ever. Also, it’s everyone’s journey to learn and adapt, advice is sometimes welcome but being told what you will and won’t do because that’s what they did or being laughed at is unfair and arrogant.

My best friend essentially co-parents her nephew due to family issues. She’s also qualified in childcare. I have another friend with a son they’ve not seen for 7 years since birth. The argument ‘you’re not a parent so you wouldn’t understand’ is so shortsighted.

• Heart
Yes! I’m sure we can all admit there are ‘ideal world’ things that might fall by the wayside (no sweets until x age, say) but fundamental beliefs aren’t going to change or be be flexed; suggesting otherwise is quite offensive. No, I can categorically tell you my child will never be forced to kiss relatives, ever. Also, it’s everyone’s journey to learn and adapt, advice is sometimes welcome but being told what you will and won’t do because that’s what they did or being laughed at is unfair and arrogant.

My best friend essentially co-parents her nephew due to family issues. She’s also qualified in childcare. I have another friend with a son they’ve not seen for 7 years since birth. The argument ‘you’re not a parent so you wouldn’t understand’ is so shortsighted.
You've articulated it so well that's exactly how i feel about it!!
Another reason I think it annoys me so much is because it's very personal for me. I've always wanted kids and my childhood was bad, my parents were honestly useless. So for me, I know there are things I'd never do because I had role models of what I DON'T want to be like as a parent and I have first hand experience of how I felt when things were done and said to me. I've had 8 years of therapy for various different mental health issues to try and overcome the problems I've been left with, TRUST ME when I say, I will not be doing xyz with my kids.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
People who are incapable of using their indicators at roundabouts, or who wait until they're half way over before remembering to use them 😡 😡 😡

• Angry
Reactions: 9
People who let their kids touch anything and everything in shops. Just been in poundshop family little ones touching mask sweets even picking up batteries in queue. Mother said stop it but laughed it off father with mask in his pocket. No wonder its getting worse. Personally if you don't need your kids in a shop keep them at home don't be letting them with their snotty noses touch everything

Crosse & Blackwell baked beans. Why oh why can't they add a ring pull on their cans?

And on the subject of ring-pulls. A lot of them are incredibly stiff to pull up with a finger or finger nail, so have to resort to using a knife.

And those plastic ring-pulls under the caps of bottled milk sometimes tear off, or can't be pulled off at all.

Not huge deals of course unless you're arthritic

• Heart
People who are incapable of using their indicators at roundabouts, or who wait until they're half way over before remembering to use them 😡 😡 😡
This is on the increase, it's not just BMW and Audi drivers, this really annoys me.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.