Little things in life that annoy you immensely #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Possibly controversial here but maternity leave.

I feel it has got to the stage where women are now totally taking the utter piss. A colleague had her first baby (genuinely pleased for her) then took a year off then came back part time and then handed in her notice as soon as she could. She got a new job and has just announced that she is pregnant again with her second. So she was pregnant at interview stage. So now, this company has hired someone who will be out of action for potentially a year in order to support her maternity leave. The cherry on the cake is she said she left the original job as she was overlooked for a promotion. The reason she was overlooked is frankly because she came back part time, did the bare minimum and wasn’t up to scratch over things that had happened whilst she was on maternity leave! Instead, the role was deservedly given to someone who worked full time (and then some!) and took on further duties to show how much they wanted and deserved this promotion.

We want equality but we want to have our cake and eat it. We want to have the top jobs but only work part time. I’m sick of working all hours to cover for other colleagues who have to race off to collect from nursery and constantly retrain somebody who is replacing someone who is on maternity leave who then comes back part time. It’s like a revolving door at my work at the moment!

In all fairness, if I was a manager hiring someone for a job and it was a choice between a man and a woman with an identical skill set I would 100% choose the man. This isn’t sexism or inequality. It’s simply choosing people who are value for money in terms of running a company.

Please don’t get me wrong, I get the whole maternity thing. I’m glad women are supported but please don’t cry out inequality when you are overlooked in your job because of your choice to have children.
Yeah I've noticed, to be fair, it gets to you when they can pick the hours they do like they cant do a night shift or a early start etc. But expect to be able to become a supervisor without putting the hours in people without kids do.

Reactions: 7
Men whose sole topic of conversation seems to revolve around tech/phones/computer games :sleep::sleep:

And this one which is probably unique to me. The radio edit of Motorcycle Emptiness by Manic Street Preachers. An absolute hatchet job which cuts out most of the guitar solo and the lovely coda at the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2

I feel it has got to the stage where women are now totally taking the utter piss. A colleague had her first baby (genuinely pleased for her) then took a year off then came back part time and then handed in her notice as soon as she could. She got a new job and has just announced that she is pregnant again with her second. So she was pregnant at interview stage. So now, this company has hired someone who will be out of action for potentially a year in order to support her maternity leave. The cherry on the cake is she said she left the original job as she was overlooked for a promotion. The reason she was overlooked is frankly because she came back part time, did the bare minimum and wasn’t up to scratch over things that had happened whilst she was on maternity leave! Instead, the role was deservedly given to someone who worked full time (and then some!) and took on further duties to show how much they wanted and deserved this promotion.

We want equality but we want to have our cake and eat it. We want to have the top jobs but only work part time. I’m sick of working all hours to cover for other colleagues who have to race off to collect from nursery and constantly retrain somebody who is replacing someone who is on maternity leave who then comes back part time. It’s like a revolving door at my work at the moment!

In all fairness, if I was a manager hiring someone for a job and it was a choice between a man and a woman with an identical skill set I would 100% choose the man. This isn’t sexism or inequality. It’s simply choosing people who are value for money in terms of running a company.

Please don’t get me wrong, I get the whole maternity thing. I’m glad women are supported but please don’t cry out inequality when you are overlooked in your job because of your choice to have children.
I get where you’re coming from and I can see where it would cause problems especially if it was a small company. However, I also feel like women can’t win sometimes. Most of us will still need to work after having kids because it’s not financially viable to stay at home even we wanted to and honestly I don’t see anything wrong with prioritising your family and kids over work. If someone is super ambitious and work orientated then that’s their choice just like having kids is a choice. Personally, I only work to pay the bills so I do what I need to do (I’d never leave my colleagues to pick up my slack!) but I won’t go above and beyond because I know I’m replaceable.

Reactions: 10
When I make a meal from scratch (not all that often!) and my husband quizzes me on what is in it and exactly how I made it. I just want to enjoy it once I’m sat down, not give a blow by blow account of what I’ve just done. Plus I feel like he’s trying to catch me out that I’ve missed an ingredient. Ruins the dinner!!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
When I make a meal from scratch (not all that often!) and my husband quizzes me on what is in it and exactly how I made it. I just want to enjoy it once I’m sat down, not give a blow by blow account of what I’ve just done. Plus I feel like he’s trying to catch me out that I’ve missed an ingredient. Ruins the dinner!!
My partner does this too I get what brand how long you cooked it for etc

Reactions: 2
People that join a new thread on Tattle by saying something like 'just marking my place' when they could just click 'watch'.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Lost Electricity for over an hour tonight, thankfully my Kindle has videos' on it and the AUX lighting worked okay.
Soon as the power came on, boiled the kettle and made a cup of kiss my arse.

Last edited:
People who can't spell your name right even if it's right in front of them. Like on an email for example.
People with zero manners.
People that breathe ridiculously loud.

Reactions: 12
People who can't spell your name right even if it's right in front of them. Like on an email for example.
THIS!!

My name is on my email address and at the bottom of the email, and it gets misspelt alllllll the time. It makes the sender look really bad. Take a second to double check! It's not bloody rocket science.

Rant over

• Heart
Reactions: 7
People who can't take no for an answer :mad::mad:

I said no. Stop trying to coerce me into doing what you want. The answer is no.
I hate this! ..i have a friend who does this quite often..brow beating until she thinks I'll break and say yes..thing is the more people try to force me to do stuff by going on and on ..the more i will resist! ...

• Heart
Reactions: 6
He sounds like an ex of mine. 🙄 Used to completely ruin my appetite.

Reactions: 1
Or people who you went to school with that you haven’t spoken to in 20 odd years adding you on FB
Oh I got that after our school closed and then a girl from our year died. Look you made my life living hell for seven years, do you really think I need you in my life after 25 years plus therapy? One I added by mistake, then messaged me a few weeks later, she'd never like any of my stuff as jealous of what I'd become and posted (usually writing and photography, which I use for my mental health).

Reactions: 4

I feel it has got to the stage where women are now totally taking the utter piss. A colleague had her first baby (genuinely pleased for her) then took a year off then came back part time and then handed in her notice as soon as she could. She got a new job and has just announced that she is pregnant again with her second. So she was pregnant at interview stage. So now, this company has hired someone who will be out of action for potentially a year in order to support her maternity leave.
To be fair, if she was pregnant at interview she probably won’t be entitled to maternity leave pay as she won’t have been with them for long enough in the qualifying period. I think she’ll be maternity allowance which isn’t paid by the company and she’d have been entitled to anyway. (It’ll depend on her dates but very likely) Also, you don’t get paid for a whole year, you’re just entitled to take a year without jeopardising your job. If you take the basic leave (26 weeks) you’re entitled to the same job and conditions but if you take over this, up to a year, they just have to give you a job with no less favourable conditions. Really all the company is in for is giving her a job at some point in the future and the hassle of re-recruiting. She hasn’t really gained anything but a little job security, but she could have to go back to a totally different

She’d have probably been better off staying with the first company so while I understand your irritation in general, she hasn’t got it as good as you think she has in the least.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Facebook crafters flogging their utter tat as a business! You know the type that sell sweet cones for an extortionate price?

No joke, I’ve just seen a cardboard cut out of a flower and someone has stuck a load of malteasers in the middle of it. It’s £5 for a bit of cardboard and 6 malteasers. £7 if you are feeling fancy and want a bleeping Ferraro Roche.

A) Clearly you haven’t been bothered to see if anyone likes your product. If nobody likes it then it’s never going to be a business. Whoever has gone- you know what I need for a party? A bit of cardboard with malteasers stuck on it

B) Your pricing is ridiculous. I can get an entire box for £1 in Poundland!

Just STOP IT. Get a job that requires some semblance of putting a bit of graft in at least.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
People who moan about their dog and the responsibility that comes with being a dog owner. Mainly on social media. A lot of fanny influencers do this. The whole I’m so busy with the kids and my job and the dogs thing is so irritating. Just don’t have dogs then!! If your life is so bloody jam packed. Then they talk about getting another dog. No! Just no.
Completely agree. I cannot have children, and getting too old now, people say why don't you adopt a dog. Trying to explain that I'm in no position financially or personally to do so, It's not fair on the dog.

• Sad
Facebook crafters flogging their utter tat as a business! You know the type that sell sweet cones for an extortionate price?

No joke, I’ve just seen a cardboard cut out of a flower and someone has stuck a load of malteasers in the middle of it. It’s £5 for a bit of cardboard and 6 malteasers. £7 if you are feeling fancy and want a bleeping Ferraro Roche.

A) Clearly you haven’t been bothered to see if anyone likes your product. If nobody likes it then it’s never going to be a business. Whoever has gone- you know what I need for a party? A bit of cardboard with malteasers stuck on it

B) Your pricing is ridiculous. I can get an entire box for £1 in Poundland!

Just STOP IT. Get a job that requires some semblance of putting a bit of graft in at least.
Completely agree. The ‘treat box’ was especially annoying during lockdown. Basically just a box of sweeties and chocolates! And people saying ‘omg this is amazing for the kids’. Wtf, just buy them yourself?? It’s much cheaper and you can choose what you actually like. The one thing that was never in short supply during lockdown was chocolate! People just trying to capitalise and make money. Those sweetie cones are a prime example. Also, pre made Christmas Eve boxes fall in to this category! Why the hell would you buy cheap crap put together for your child when you can easily buy a few wee bits yourself?? Really annoys me.

When chat shows/news still say 'this event/program has been cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak' yes I'm sure we all know that by now.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.