Line of Duty #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t think Carmichael is bent. I think she’s absolutely ruthless and wants to elevate her career but AC-12 doesn’t feature in that.

it wouldn’t surprise me if she turned out to be a bit of a hero next week when things unravel.

Reactions: 27
If Ted didn't give Steph £50k, what was in the brown envelope he took to her in the graveyard? That's one of the loose ends to tie up in the final episode, unless Jed is going let it ride until (hopefully) Series 7.

Reactions: 11
If Ted didn't give Steph £50k, what was in the brown envelope he took to her in the graveyard? That's one of the loose ends to tie up in the final episode, unless Jed is going let it ride until (hopefully) Series 7.
Also didn’t Steve run the serial numbers from Stephs cash and it matched the dodgy pile?

Reactions: 16
Why WHY WHY did they release the trailer when we’ve got what feels like 6 months to wait till Sunday 😒😒😒😒

Reactions: 9
I think it’s accepted that he did, this is from a digital spy article...

Mercurio says that Ted "used multiple hiding places" for the cash, which is why the police didn't recover it all. "He realised the money was hot and he was endeavouring to return it, but he was also aware that he was leaving money in a vulnerable position in the hotel room."

"So we didn't see where he put the other £50k, but he must've put it somewhere else – another hiding place – and that money was then something he could use for his personal gain, but he chose to use it as a form of atonement."

Reactions: 7
I don't get why Jo remained under OCG control either. She makes out she had no choice but OCG had no bargaining power, they couldn't make her do it at the threat of something happening to her Mum as she was already dead. Unless she has a child we don't know about.

I think there will be another series. I still enjoy it but I'm a bit disappointed by this one really. It's easy to watch, well made TV but sometimes I find myself watching things play out on screen (such as the car chase) and laugh at myself for being lost but then start wondering how it all hangs together.

Reactions: 7
I don’t think Carmichael is bent. I think she’s absolutely ruthless and wants to elevate her career but AC-12 doesn’t feature in that.

it wouldn’t surprise me if she turned out to be a bit of a hero next week when things unravel.
I don't think she's bent either. I think she has some sort of vendetta against Ted. She 100% doesn't trust him that's for sure and she is quite content to be helping the CC phase him out for her own personal gain. She shuts down the "H" line of questioning because she thinks it's a wild goose chase and just wants Ted to leave quietly, not make a scene running around accusing high ranking officers of being bent.

Reactions: 3
Just listened to Craig Parkinson podcast and he thinks the garage will lead to the basement of Jo’s apartment bloc. Interesting theory.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I don't get why Jo remained under OCG control either. She makes out she had no choice but OCG had no bargaining power, they couldn't make her do it at the threat of something happening to her Mum as she was already dead. Unless she has a child we don't know about.
I think it’s because her Duncle (dad/uncle) started to coerce her when she was young and without a mother or any family support she fell deeper and deeper in and once you’ve been living a life for so long it’s hard to escape.

I agree, I reckon with Carmichael it'll be Denton 2.0 when we hated Lindsay for ages then she came good at the very end of series 3 😢

Reactions: 2
Her mum didn’t run off to Spain to be found dead with Thurwell. Especially when they revealed in the glass box interview that Jo’s mum died by suicide years ago. It is not possible she could be the female dead body in Spain next to the assumed Thurwell.
I know. I was saying the theory it is her is ridiculous because of what Jo had been told about her backstory (even if you buy a faked suicide which I don’t).

She was 16, her mum had just killed herself (with the implication that Jo blames herself for it) and she clearly knew what Tommy was capable of generally (her mum hated what her family were). He moved her to a different place (nobody knew me down here) so she’d have been entirely alone and was hugely vulnerable to both grooming and coercion.

Then once she’d done something as a copper, there was their hold, and like a frog in a pot the water around Jo would get hotter and hotter. She saw what happened to Tommy when he crossed the OCG and the coppers too.

Her rep actually attempted to get them to properly acknowledge the control and treat her as vulnerable but Carmichael just moved on from Hunter.

It’s a really interesting parallel with Terry Boyle’s story, they’re actually both incredibly vulnerable and on the surface it looks like they could have got out earlier - but Terry is seen as visibly vulnerable while Jo isn’t.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I love LOD, it is still up there as one of my favourite all time shows (seasons 2&3 especially).

It has almost become a bit comical now though, especially Ted's one liners (yes they make me laugh and Adrian Dunbar is the perfect Ted) but it is almost like a parody at times (especially this season).

Just felt really disappointed with the last episode as really wanted Ryan to be interviewed in the glass box and it felt a little flat in places (but I was expecting a knock out episode).

I don’t think much would’ve come out of interrogating Ryan tbh. He would have “no commented” his way through an interview too. I think it was important that it be Jo because she revealed little snippets of information that Ryan probably wouldn’t know much (if anything) about. Kelly’s acting was really good here, she conveyed so much for saying so little.

Reactions: 22
Shrine of Duty podcast out early this week! Just listening now. Extra mention to Kate's incredible cheekbones!
I can’t see it on Apple podcasts? 😢 still showing the latest was for episode 5. Anyone else?

Reactions: 1
I don’t think much would’ve come out of interrogating Ryan tbh. He would have “no commented” his way through an interview too. I think it was important that it be Jo because she revealed little snippets of information that Ryan probably wouldn’t know much (if anything) about. Kelly’s acting was really good here, she conveyed so much for saying so little.
Yeh your probably right about him no commenting. Just thought his ending was a bit meh and I would have liked to have seen him squirm.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I agree. It also set up the question of who it was in the room Jo didn’t trust and why - she obviously trusted Steve but she looked between both Carmichael and Hastings when she was no commenting and stuck to it about the police stuff. We know Kate had just told her in front of the car Steve had told her some stuff about Hastings. So there’s the dilemma of whether it’s just that or does she know something tying Carmichael and/or Hastings into it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.