Lily Pebbles #20 Nobody’s told her her content is REEL-Y bad

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You should always read to a child from a very young age. Most parents do this from when they’re born, I think that’s normal.
Agree. Absolutely normal. I think it was the reading Julia Donaldson out loud while pregnant that drew the stares.

I'm sure someone like Lily would have considered me to be unhinged.

Reactions: 7
It’s a skill but is fun too or should be I’m not a Steiner fan.

If she learns her phonics and is read to and therefore picks reading up from you, you’re on to a winner. I’ve worked in primary education for many years. Some in early years and so many children are held back because parents don’t bother. It’s different in other countries but if you’re in the UK, you’re doing the right thing👍🏻👍🏻
((not that it really matters, but I was read to from an early age and both my parents are avid readers. I saw their love for books and wanted to emulate them. I love reading to this day and it’s probably my biggest hobby))

Reactions: 11
I could read before 4 too, but there really is no point and it has nothing to do with intelligence. Reading is a skill. In fact, there are plenty of school systems that advise not to read before 7, because it immediately takes away from other skill sets like memorising and imagination as soon as a child can read, according to some. Steiner schools have that principle for example. Or Waldorf.
We live in a country that has this approach and we hate it. I didn’t have an opinion on it beforehand but now I’m like nope, this tit does not work. Our family knows multiple (admittedly newly) 8 year olds who cannot read and write without assistance - that’s too old!

I actually find lack of literacy to be barrier to creativity and imagination. It’s not a matter of intelligence; it’s a matter of opening doors: new experiences, points of view, moments in history, etc. I can’t imagine having to wait until 8 years old to experience my favorite literary characters one-on-one. It feels heartbreaking, which I know sounds dramatic! It also builds vocab and sequencing skills, just to name a couple, so there’s definitely a lot of logic behind getting a head start.

It’s also, as you say, an extremely important skill to be a confident and accurate reader - emergencies, online learning, if they god forbid get lost etc.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
((not that it really matters, but I was read to from an early age and both my parents are avid readers. I saw their love for books and wanted to emulate them. I love reading to this day and it’s probably my biggest hobby))
Same, I knew Pushkin's poems by heart when I was 2, always wanted people to read me books... and here's the kicker - I didn't know how to read properly until I was 8. All these discussions about children reading early because they were being read to from birth, it doesn't always work like that.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Lily having to tell everyone her lips are sore again. How do brands hire her when she always has issues behind the scenes? Each time she’s working on a job or brand deal she has something to complain about. Why doesn’t she put on that cream the doctor prescribed her instead of complaining. Imagine us complaining to our clients each time our manager asked us to do something lol..

Attachments

• Sick
Reactions: 25
I too was read to a lot, language was very much a thing in our household. At school age 4/5/6 we did exercises like tracing letters and sounding things out, but you did not learn to read properly until about 7. It did not hinder my creativity or my joy for reading and language.

I am still shocked at how surprised Lily seemed to be that Grey keeps going back to this 'coffee table book', which in reality is just a very expensive ABC book. If she likes that sort of books so much, why not get one of the hundreds if not thousands of options out there? Have we ever seen Lily sit on the sofa and read to Grey? Reading together is such a lovely 'activity', Lily! Seeing as you're always looking to fill your time with her......

Reactions: 8
Lily having to tell everyone her lips are sore again. How do brands hire her when she always has issues behind the scenes? Each time she’s working on a job or brand deal she has something to complain about. Why doesn’t she put on that cream the doctor prescribed her instead of complaining. Imagine us complaining to our clients each time our manager asked us to do something lol..
Imagine filming a video to show our boss how difficult is our job.

First, my alarm woke me up a 9am, then I turn on my laptop, answer some emails, pull up some PPT slides.....Idk why she feels the need to show us behind the scene, is it meant to be blooper? Maybe is a creative thing

I too was read to a lot, language was very much a thing in our household. At school age 4/5/6 we did exercises like tracing letters and sounding things out, but you did not learn to read properly until about 7. It did not hinder my creativity or my joy for reading and language.

I am still shocked at how surprised Lily seemed to be that Grey keeps going back to this 'coffee table book', which in reality is just a very expensive ABC book. If she likes that sort of books so much, why not get one of the hundreds if not thousands of options out there? Have we ever seen Lily sit on the sofa and read to Grey? Reading together is such a lovely 'activity', Lily! Seeing as you're always looking to fill your time with her......
To be honest, I never see Grey's bookz laying around her living room. I don't know about kids but if it is not placed in a handy place, kids probably won't touch it. She bought a set of books few weeks ago, and put a lamp above it. Books for Lily is deco at best....

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Sorry Lily but eczema doesn't just decide to flare up for no reason whatsoever.
It's either something you ate, something you applied to your skin, something Rich applied to his skin that transferred (very common cause of flare-ups)... you have to do the work to eliminate products and note reactions to identify triggers. It's a pain in the arse but it's not that complicated: even Lily could do it if she wanted to. But I suppose she can't because nobody told her 🙄

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 30
Foils and water, they aren't really bright.

It's either something you ate, something you applied to your skin, something Rich applied to his skin that transferred (very common cause of flare-ups)... you have to do the work to eliminate products and note reactions to identify triggers. It's a pain in the arse but it's not that complicated: even Lily could do it if she wanted to. But I suppose she can't because nobody told her 🙄
"is my job to try products"

• Haha
Same, I knew Pushkin's poems by heart when I was 2, always wanted people to read me books... and here's the kicker - I didn't know how to read properly until I was 8. All these discussions about children reading early because they were being read to from birth, it doesn't always work like that.
Being read to isn’t the only way children learn to read obviously. It just makes reading “normal”. Some of the homes I’ve had to visit before a child starts school don’t have a single book in the house. They need intervention much earlier but that’s a whole other debate!

Reactions: 6
She's not interested. It would mean cutting down on all the freebies, and putting in all that effort of tracing when it flares up. No can do. She is a busy London mum, you know?

It's either something you ate, something you applied to your skin, something Rich applied to his skin that transferred (very common cause of flare-ups)...
I thought for a second you were going to say ‘something Rich applied to her skin’ 💦 and I thought ‘that’s not going to help them make a baby!’ Sorry for lowering the tone! 🤪

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
I’ve got eczema on my eyelids so I do have a tiny amount of sympathy. I’ve ruled it down to stress and Nivea cream weirdly enough! Surely Lily can find out the cause? Oh no that would mean she wouldn’t be moaning!

Think we need a new thread!

I thought for a second you were going to say ‘something Rich applied to her skin’ 💦 and I thought ‘that’s not going to help them make a baby!’ Sorry for lowering the tone! 🤪
The would require Lily to make an effort, it ain't happening. Missionary all the way

Thanks for the image!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
What a waste of tin foil - something that is not easily recycled.

What was her charity update this month? It's 3 days before the end of the month and I honestly can't recall seeing it.

Reactions: 12

What was her charity update this month? It's 3 days before the end of the month and I honestly can't recall seeing it.
Erm she shared something about Sarah, does that count? :unsure:

• Sad
Reactions: 3

idk if she reads here, but she updated her folder

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.