Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So my instructor is thinking of postponing my test (booked for end of sept) as he's questioning if I'm gonna be ready by then 🙃
I made 2 mistakes today during the entire lesson:

1/ checked my mirrors as I was slowing down rather than before
2/selected 4th gear rather than 2nd (but realised and corrected myself before he said anything)

He said it was a fantastic lesson, I'm making his job really easy and I need to be consistently driving well.

He's not happy about next week but said he can't reschedule for another day and just to let him know as soon as I know if I need to cancel or not.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
So my instructor is thinking of postponing my test (booked for end of sept) as he's questioning if I'm gonna be ready by then 🙃

2/selected 4th gear rather than 2nd (but realised and corrected myself before he said anything)

He said it was a fantastic lesson, I'm making his job really easy and I need to be consistently driving well.

He's not happy about next week but said he can't reschedule for another day and just to let him know as soon as I know if I need to cancel or not.
You seriously need to try a lesson with another instructor.

Based on everything you post, your current instructor sounds incredibly difficult and as if he is stringing you along. Please please please try another instructor as least for 1 lesson just to see what they say.

Reactions: 3

Do not let him postpone it further! September is a few months away, and if they are your only errors then it’s not a big deal at all! (I done worse on the hours lesson before my test) 😂 as the above poster said, I would try a different instructor, this one seems a bit strange? But I totally get that they all have waiting lists etc just now, so it may not be possible!

This doesn’t add up at all, those are barely mistakes and September is months away, you sound totally capable of passing and from what you post your worries are more about your instructor than the driving. For some reason this person isn’t helping your confidence.

I know it’s a really tricky time for finding a new instructor and confidence with driving due to all the uncertainty. Think about what you might advise someone else if they described your situation. Good luck xx

• Heart

your instructor is taking the utter piss out of you. He’s stringing you along to carry on getting money out of you.

ive said this a few times now but you don’t seem to want to answer but why not now go to someone else? This guy is doing you no favours. Go and have a few lessons with someone else, tell them nothing about your other instructor and see what they say.

Reactions: 2

He’s taking you for a ride £££
Find someone else!

I'm nervous about the idea of looking for another instructor for several reasons:
- availability. My lessons are on my day off during school hours, so perfect time for me
- different instructions teach things differently, so I'm worried that would confuse me/cause a set back
- I'm worried that other instructors may not be as good
- maybe I am the problem

• Heart
I'm nervous about the idea of looking for another instructor for several reasons:
- availability. My lessons are on my day off during school hours, so perfect time for me
- different instructions teach things differently, so I'm worried that would confuse me/cause a set back
- maybe I am the problem
Just a quick one here - you are NOT the problem. We all learn in different ways at different speeds (as this thread shows!) you’re not doing anything wrong.

• Heart
- maybe I am the problem
You’re not the problem. I think you need to be firm with him and tell him you’re not changing your test again, the last dates I saw on there were for the last week in December and they were snapped up!

I boss the tit out of mine when he starts getting irritable, he soon shuts up and changes his tune 😂

• Heart
- maybe I am the problem
Hasn't he already postponed your test once?

If you won't try another instructor, you need to put your foot down and tell him you are having your test in September and he needs to ensure you are 110% ready. Remind him it is you employing him to teach you. You pay his wages. This isn't negotiable.

If he says he won't provide the car for the test then sack him off and find another instructor. He sounds totally toxic

Reactions: 4
- maybe I am the problem

You won’t know about other instructors availability until you ring round and make some enquiries.

stop worrying about being set back - you can already drive!!!!!! the person holding you back is your instructor. At this point it’s not about being taught anything - it’s simply hours behind the wheel gaining the experience of driving before your test. Frankly, you could do the same thing in a car with someone else who can already drive.

you are not “the problem“ - but please stop allowing this guy to take the piss.

if you can’t get a new instructor then you are going to have to put your foot down now and tell your instructor that you ARE taking that test in September and that you are PAYING HIM for his service to get you test ready - and remind him that according to him you were infact test read in June. If he says another word about postponing the test again - tell him you are taking your money elsewhere and bin him off. The guy is taking advantage.

Reactions: 4
- maybe I am the problem
Babe unless you don’t try, you never know! At least have a look for an instructor, you don’t have to take the plunge. During school hours would be much easier than after 5pm or weekends as most people work, I’d actually see this as a positive for you. And what if they teach you more efficiently, effectively and build your confidence? What if you pass quicker? What if you spend less overall? So what if they spend 2 weeks checking out your knowledge and skills, they might actually be able to get you driving sooner! Go for it, we are routing for you 🚗

• Heart
Reactions: 6
If it helps, I had my first lesson with a new instructor today - I was really nervous and he put me completely at ease, and was incredibly positive with me - he did suggest I change test centres and we drove to the one he suggested today and I agree it's a nicer area with bigger roads, so I've cancelled my September test and booked one in for December... that I'm hoping with the help of Testi I can creep back a bit!

You can definitely find a better instructor for you, and you deserve someone putting you first and helping you!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’m onto my fourth instructor, sod them if they aren’t right for you. There’s plenty more out there.

Reactions: 6
I’m onto my fourth instructor, sod them if they aren’t right for you. There’s plenty more out there.
I had loads of instructors too, if they annoyed me in any way I found another. I even went back to a previous one cos my new one was worse .

- maybe I am the problem
I had 2 different instructors. I spent a lot of money with the first one but he just kept saying I wasn't ready for my test. I then decided enough was enough and tried somebody else out, after my first lesson with him my test was booked! I do echo what other posters have said in that it sounds like your instructor is taking the mick a little. You might be pleasantly surprised if you try someone else - I'm sure there's plenty who can accommodate your time requirements

• Heart
I failed one test, took a few weeks off driving lessons, then covid hit so it was all cancelled for ages. Came back to it, drove in lessons with a new instructor who massively focused on my confidence as a driver, and that made the difference for me. My actual driving examiner was also a great person, really put me at ease. Said he wanted to see that u was a safe driver, not a perfect driver. I passed second time!

• Heart
I had two instructors. My first one made me a bag of nerves to the point that I was considering only learning automatic. I’d only had three lessons with him. My second one was completely different. I had around 40 lessons and passed first time. He put me at ease, was really happy for me when I passed. Usually just need someone who has faith in you. Well I did when I was learning as a nineteen year old.

Agree with everyone who says ‘sod ‘em’ re: having loyalty or leaving. If you aren’t clicking with someone and/or it isn’t working, at the end of it all you’re paying for a service.

is the testi app worth the £9.99?
I think so, it’s the easiest way to look for new tests quickly rather than having to log on to dvsa all the time. On Tuesday I booked a test for end of December and I’ve already got it down to start of November :)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.