Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks for your all tips! I am really conscious of using my mirrors (there’s some idiots on the road where I drive) but I think the art of being subtle isn’t working with my instructor 😅
This sounds ridiculous but I’ve heard this advice and it can’t hurt - if you have long hair put it in a pony tail or consider some dangly earrings 😆

Reactions: 1
Hope you’re all doing well!

I’ve just come back from a lesson where my instructor says I need to use my mirrors. I’m not being stubborn by writing this, but I do thoroughly use my mirrors before signalling etc. How can I make it more obvious that I’m looking at the mirrors?!
Put your hair in a high ponytail! Put a scarf in it if possible!

Reactions: 2
I’m on my third instructor, had a first lesson with him today…

Feel like giving up on driving. :( I genuinely thought I was an alright driver (maybe a bit nervous), but alright all the same.
I came back from it wanting to give up altogether.

I’m going to look for another instructor.

I have to work on everything regarding driving.. I just feel disheartened.
What don’t you like? Are you giving them a good chance?

Had a really frustrating lesson the other day, I thought I was doing really well until we got to a manoeuvre and it turns out my first instructor taught me completely wrong (apparently) which then sent me in to a "well i'm terrible anyway" mindset which then took the rest of the lesson down with it. Some days I feel quite confident and then others are just...eurgh.

Had a really frustrating lesson the other day, I thought I was doing really well until we got to a manoeuvre and it turns out my first instructor taught me completely wrong (apparently) which then sent me in to a "well i'm terrible anyway" mindset which then took the rest of the lesson down with it. Some days I feel quite confident and then others are just...eurgh.
Manoeuvres never made sense to me until I was doing them out in the wild so to speak!

Same! "When will I ever need a 3 point turn ffs" erm today 🤣 been lurking through this thread and it takes me back!
3 point turns are so pointless that they don’t even teach them anymore! They don’t do reverse around a corner either!

to be honest though, I’ve never parallel parked since passing!🤣

My mother in law lives at the end of a private road with a really long driveway and I literally cannot leave her house without either doing a 3 point turn or reversing around the corner and up the drive to turn so those two are invaluable to me. I've never reversed in to a bay in my life though 🤷‍♀️

3 point turns are so pointless that they don’t even teach them anymore! They don’t do reverse around a corner either!

to be honest though, I’ve never parallel parked since passing!🤣

My mother in law lives at the end of a private road with a really long driveway and I literally cannot leave her house without either doing a 3 point turn or reversing around the corner and up the drive to turn so those two are invaluable to me. I've never reversed in to a bay in my life though 🤷‍♀️
We didn’t do them on lessons so I’ve literally never done either. I guess it just depends on where you drive and that. Obviously I’ve done a turn in the road, but I couldn’t say if it was 3 points or not!🤣 I don’t reverse into bays either; I did it on my test and haven’t really done it since.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Any tips on how to choose a driving instructor? We want to move out of the city in the next few years and I need to be able to drive before we move.

I am really nervous about learning. What would help me to prepare? The thought of actually getting behind the wheel makes me feel a bit sick.

Any tips on how to choose a driving instructor? We want to move out of the city in the next few years and I need to be able to drive before we move.

I am really nervous about learning. What would help me to prepare? The thought of actually getting behind the wheel makes me feel a bit sick.
Do your theory test first

try to get out in a car a few times prior to your lessons - get someone with a car to take you to an empty car park for example and practice turning the car on, going into 1st gear, moving off etc and stopping the car etc and get comfortable with how to operate the indicators/wipers etc

if you can, ask others for personal recommendations for instructors. Or if this isn’t possible just book a single lesson in with a few over a week or so and see who you feel most comfortable with. Remember that you are paying them for a service so if you find you don’t click with one or whatever just go to someone else.

Just waiting for my lesson… my hair is in a ponytail so I hope my instructor sees me check my mirrors!

• Haha
Just waiting for my lesson… my hair is in a ponytail so I hope my instructor sees me check my mirrors!
Did it work?

I’m very proud of myself drove from Norfolk to Kent and back again. Conquered the M25 and Dartford tunnel! First time driving on a motorway- and I only had my two year old for company!

Reactions: 7
Did it work?

I’m very proud of myself drove from Norfolk to Kent and back again. Conquered the M25 and Dartford tunnel! First time driving on a motorway- and I only had my two year old for company!
Well done on your first motorway drive! My instructor said I drive really well and didn’t mention my mirror checks at all, so must’ve worked, thanks for the tip! X

Reactions: 4
I've lurked on this thread loads and used to see the manual/automatic debate

I used to be a very nervous driver. I passed in a manual, drove 200mi a week commuting in a manual, but the idea of driving outside of my comfort zone used to stress me out to the point of crying.

Two weeks ago I bought an automatic and I LOVE driving, why didn't I do this sooner?! I'm up and down the mway and just driving out to all sorts of new places.

If anyone here is a nervous driver and gets scared - I've been there, and please try an automatic before disregarding driving altogether

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I've lurked on this thread loads and used to see the manual/automatic debate

I used to be a very nervous driver. I passed in a manual, drove 200mi a week commuting in a manual, but the idea of driving outside of my comfort zone used to stress me out to the point of crying.

Two weeks ago I bought an automatic and I LOVE driving, why didn't I do this sooner?! I'm up and down the mway and just driving out to all sorts of new places.

If anyone here is a nervous driver and gets scared - I've been there, and please try an automatic before disregarding driving altogether
May I ask what it is about the manual thats given you this boost?

May I ask what it is about the manual thats given you this boost?
The fact I don't have to think about the clutch

My clutch control is fine, but it's just one more thing to think about especially given I drive in heavy traffic most of the time

It's hard to describe - I think people should try a manual as you learn a lot about driving and how cars work, but don't stress if it doesn't "click" as I've driven for years and it never clucked

Reactions: 6
I had over 20 hours of lessons in a manual before switching to automatic. I can do the clutch but it takes me longer to think about everything else and I feel safer in an automatic. Plus I drive better in an automatic, especially when coming to junctions, traffic lights etc.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.