Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

kittypaws

VIP Member
I passed my test yesterday!!!! 😭 Still can’t quite believe it, I was convinced I was going to fail! Everything just went my way and I only got 2 minors!

A year ago I was an absolute mess when it came to driving. I hated my lessons, felt sick the day and morning before and would even cancel them cos my anxiety was so bad. I’ve been learning on and off for 10 years and had so many barriers it’s been unreal. It’s been such a long journey but I never gave up. I was close at times but I was determined and I have FINALLY done it! To anyone reading this who is feeling like I used to, please take it from me that you CAN do it. I never thought I would and today I’ve driven to Asda by myself and filled my car up with diesel. This is just the very start of the rest of my life 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 22

Glaschelle

VIP Member
I had loads of lessons and several instructors. The night before my first test i couldn't do anything! My instructor said he would still take me for my test but i cancelled it. Told him, dont mind embarrassing myself but didn't want to embarrass him.

He suggested changing to automatic and I agreed cos of I felt i had to salvage something out of the £££££ I'd spent.

I passed 2nd time at the age of 52!!! It's made such a difference to my life. Being able to chuck my shopping in the back and not have to humph it on and off buses. Being able to go places without having to panic about bus or train times. Not having to wait for taxis at the end of a night out (I don't drink)

It's also meant I've been able to get my mum out and about. She's getting frail and it was difficult getting on buses and trains. We wouldn't have survived lockdown without the car. Being able to drive to the riverside (5 min drive) and sit with a flask of tea has been life saver.

What I would say to you is to keep at it. It'll be worth it in the end. Your test is really about making sure you can control the car safely and are aware of what's going on around you. And I think is the most important thing - not that you're the best driver but that you aren't a danger to other road users.

Also if you're in the UK watch that series the secret of the driving test - guaranteed to make you feel like you're Lewis Hamilton!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Katiesmale

Hi everyone,

At the age of 35, I passed my driving test today. I wanted to share this in case it gives others hope. I always thought that driving wasn’t for me. I never needed it for work and my husband always drove. Last year, my husband passed away after a four year battle with bowel cancer. I suddenly found myself as a widow and sole parent to our beautiful daughter. I knew I needed to learn to drive to be able to give us some freedom. However, it did not come easy to me! I’ve actually had lessons, on and off, for the last ten years. It was only last summer when I finally got stuck in.

I had my test this afternoon as cannot believe I have managed to pass. I was so nervous in the lead up but all those nerves disappeared as soon as I started the test. I feel like I barely have any recollection of doing the test and couldn’t even tell you which roads I went down. I guess I was very ‘in the zone’.

I literally think that, if I can pass, then anyone can. And I sincerely mean that!

I’m now nervous because I’m going to have to buy a car and go for my first solo drive before contending with a sassy five year old in the back!
If you’re nervous, keep going! x

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Lalla

VIP Member
I only passed my test 4 years ago (in my 40s). I started lessons on my 17th birthday but my instructor was awful - if you've ever seen the Peep Show episode where Mark has a driving lesson, I swear that guy was modelled on my first instructor. I eventually took 3 tests at 17/18 but I failed them all, which tbh was right because I couldn't drive :ROFLMAO:

So then I went off to uni, and just started living a life as a non driver. You just find ways round it. I was totally comfortable travelling anywhere by public transport, know all the local bus routes, underground, getting from A to B I'm the expert. Had my railcard (young persons initially, then family & friends once I had kids...) I managed, because you do.

Anyway about 5 years ago my then partner challenged me to do my theory test, which I did and (to my surprise) passed. So then I thought maybe I could actually learn to drive. I bought myself a tiny car, and we used to pootle around the local streets in it, going to the shop, or to pick up a takeaway, just little everyday journeys. I then started lessons - my driving instructor was like the nicest man in the world, always had something good to say, really positive (but not in an OTT way), and I just used to chat to him, and drive. Took a test - failed for a stupid reason. Took another test - ditto.

The morning of my 3rd (or 6th if you count the other 3) test I cried and said to my partner it was all too much, I couldn't cope with the pressure. He said to cancel, but being tight I didn't want to waste the money :ROFLMAO: so I went along...and I only bloody passed!! It was probably one of the best feelings in my entire life. I cried!

I love driving now, even on motorways, it's been one of the things I missed since lockdown, barely using my car. I can't believe I made my life so much harder than it needed to be for so many years by not driving. I have spent £1,000s probably on lessons but it doesn't matter really because I can drive now so it was all worth it :)

So to anyone doubting yourself, don't. If I could pass anyone can. I have quite poor spatial awareness (I'm very over cautious about distances!) and lack co-ordination. At first I thought I'd never get the hang of gears, and I still ride the clutch far too often, but none of that matters.

The thing that I didn't really realise until after I passed my test was that the examiner doesn't expect perfection, just that you are consistently good and safe for that 40 mins. And they expect you to make mistakes, because it's how you resolve them that shows if you are capable or will just panic.

Reactions: 16

Kmacg

Just thought id add my own story and hope I can help someone out 😇

Started to learn at 17, had 2 instructors and 20+ lessons and simply couldnt drive. My brain couldnt cope with gears, speed, mirrors, I was a nervous wreck the whole time so I quit.

January last year I decided to try again at age 32! Had 4 lessons with the most amazing, calm, patient instructor then lockdown hit 2 weeks after I passed my theory 1st time. Test was booked for April that obviously got cancelled. I bought a cheap run around car, insured it, slapped L plates on and had my dad take me out once a week. Had 2 lessons and passed 1st time in August! With 4 minors for stalling x2, clearance and speed approaching a junction.

I am a very anxious person, massive overthinker and worrier soI never thought I could drive. I was still nervous for months after passing (and no one tells you about that first solo drive after your test! I even had my kids in the car!) Now im almost 10 months in and ive gained so much confidence, I drove 400 miles to Scotland and 400 back on motorways, weve been on holidays to the coasts, Ive driven on busy roads, country roads, dirt roads! And i am VERY good at parallel and reverse bay parking thanks to my instructor!

You are very much able to do anything you set your mind to, no matter your age, experience, confidence or skills, its just about pushing yourself and not giving up ❤

• Heart

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Have you tried learning in an automatic instead? You don’t have to worry about gear changing.

judsmum

Chatty Member
My post on my driving test is knocking about on here somewhere!!
I HATE it. I’ve had a million different instructors, a million different lessons over the years and never really took it seriously. In August last year I started again and took it seriously. I hate every single minute of it but this time I WILL do it. I failed my first ever test in March For something very silly and it’s been on hold ever since for obvious reasons. I’m dreading starting up again but I’ve just got to get through it. The problem I have is that I’m frightened of it. I’m frightened of being in control and frankly I don’t think I’m very good at it!! I have no words of wisdom otherwise I’d give them to myself but we’ll get there eh?!

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Belulah

VIP Member
Yes! Amazing! Please tell us everything!!
I was so nervous. I had my jaw clenched for the entire hour I spent with my instructor. I couldn’t speak to her at all- normally we chat nonstop.
When we got to the test centre I reversed into the spot- totally messed that up! Then we went to wait by the door. The first examiner to come out had failed me twice so I thought here we go again but luckily he called someone else’s name!
My examiner was really friendly and made me feel really calm. We did the eye test then he explained the test-I’m glad he did as that gave me time to focus and clam down in the car. He asked me my tell me question which I can’t remember and within five minutes my show me question (side window). Then the first time he asked me to pull over on the left we were two car lengths from a parked car and I was convinced it would be a parallel park! I was so relived when he asked me to pull away. My manoeuvre ending up being driving into a bay! It was really early on and after that I felt I could just relax because I’d got so worked up thinking it would be a parallel park. The rest went in a blur! When we got back to the test centre he said we’d wait for my instructor to come over. I thought it would be a fail and he wanted to discuss what I had to work on. My instructor didn’t see us so stood chatting away to other instructors! I thought this is a bit mean if I have failed and then he said “I’m pleased to inform you have passed”- then he talked through my minors (I got 4) but I was too giddy to pay attention!

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Magee

VIP Member
Today I reached a huge milestone, I drove 160 miles alone, topped up the diesel for the first time, and drove in the dark for the first time! I actually felt like a real driver. Worked so hard to build my confidence up and I’m so proud of myself. To some people this won’t seem like much but to me it’s everything. I passed 11 years ago and hadn’t driven since my test! I look back over the last few months and I can’t believe how far I’ve come! To anyone reading this thinking of getting back in to driving or lessons, go for it! Take baby steps if you need to but you will only regret not taking any steps.

Next stop, home bargains!!! Still shit at parking though x

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Scvee13

I would also recommend learning in an automatic. My sister in law is a very intelligent woman but for the life of her couldn't pass her driving test after 11 attempts and 3 years she decided to try automatic and passed first time

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Belulah

VIP Member
Is anyone in the process of learning to drive? I start with my 5th (?!) instructor next Monday. Have a good feeling about this one. I’m 29 and have to rely a lot on other people. I hate how much my sister has to run around after me.
Driving does not come naturally to me at all. It took me 5 times to pass my theory and I’ve failed two practicals! I do have a car so lot of time on the road!

Reactions: 13

Sallyspal

VIP Member
Just failed my test. Examiner was actually so horrible from the get go ... “step back step back you’re too close” ... also really unclear with communication.. I’m actually in shock at how poor communication was and also when I made a mistake she was making lots of “tutting” sounds/sounds of frustration 😢

• Sad
  • Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 12

Lollypad

VIP Member
It has taken me approximately 58 hours of lessons, and finallyyyyyy something has clicked. I’ve had self esteem issues for years, and honestly thought I’d never make it but my last few lessons have been ok and I’ve started trusting my judgement more. We are all capable of doing this guys ❤

• Heart

Thank(space)you

VIP Member
I have something very exciting to report 😁 had my first driving lesson going out with my sister and it went so well! Completely boosted my confidence 😁 I'm now excited for my driving lesson next week and for my test next month. I'm like a completely different person. I now realise I CAN drive. And I am actually a good driver.

• Heart

batherine

I've been lurking here for a while. First test was just after Christmas but cancelled due to snow, second test in May and felt really confident but made a stupid mistake (did not check mirrors changing lanes) and got a major and failed. Today I PASSED!!! I was so nervous, my left leg was shaking throughout, stalled early on at a junction due to my violent leg shake. Examiner told me to pull over and compose myself. It was at a test centre I managed to get a cancellation at so didn't know the area very well, school kids everywhere, spent 95% of it in 2nd gear below 23mph. Thought it was a disaster. Probably my worst drive in the past 9 months but I managed to pass with only 1 minor due to that stalling!!!! Very happy and it's nice to feel free. So keep at it as you never know what will happen :)

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Rlaw1978

VIP Member
Don’t worry, just keep going. It took my husband 8 tries to pass his pratical test & he’s never looked back.
Personally I wouldn’t change to automatic unless you have big issues with clutch control. Its better to master a manual if you can. Automatics have their own set of skills and challenges.
Eventually a manual will become so ingrained you won’t have to think about it. In fact it becomes ‘automatic’ - haha see what I did there.
What you could do is try both and see how you feel.

Reactions: 11