Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anyone in the process of learning to drive? I start with my 5th (?!) instructor next Monday. Have a good feeling about this one. I’m 29 and have to rely a lot on other people. I hate how much my sister has to run around after me.
Driving does not come naturally to me at all. It took me 5 times to pass my theory and I’ve failed two practicals! I do have a car so lot of time on the road!

Reactions: 13
Have you tried learning in an automatic instead? You don’t have to worry about gear changing.

Reactions: 16
I would also recommend learning in an automatic. My sister in law is a very intelligent woman but for the life of her couldn't pass her driving test after 11 attempts and 3 years she decided to try automatic and passed first time

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I tried manual for ages and failed miserably! Gave up completely for years. Started again with automatic..failed 3 times!!! Passed on my 4th attempt and now drive everyday. You will get there, just keep at it! Just to add, I was THE most nervous driver but it took an amazing instructor and taking the pressure off slightly by driving an auto and I got there 🙈 good luck !!!

Reactions: 6
Don’t worry, just keep going. It took my husband 8 tries to pass his pratical test & he’s never looked back.
Personally I wouldn’t change to automatic unless you have big issues with clutch control. Its better to master a manual if you can. Automatics have their own set of skills and challenges.
Eventually a manual will become so ingrained you won’t have to think about it. In fact it becomes ‘automatic’ - haha see what I did there.
What you could do is try both and see how you feel.

Reactions: 11
I would stick with manual if you can. I was doing pretty bad and took me ages to learn. Passed 2nd time but had so many lessons. Now I drive an automatic but could drive a manual (only if my life depended on it to be fair, but still). You'll get there eventually, at least you're getting lots of practice so you're coming across more situations. Unlike people who pass first time after a few lessons

Is anyone in the process of learning to drive? I start with my 5th (?!) instructor next Monday. Have a good feeling about this one. I’m 29 and have to rely a lot on other people. I hate how much my sister has to run around after me.
Driving does not come naturally to me at all. It took me 5 times to pass my theory and I’ve failed two practicals! I do have a car so lot of time on the road!
Good luck! I honestly believe it’s down to luck on the day too, I hope the roads are kind to you.

Reactions: 5
My post on my driving test is knocking about on here somewhere!!
I HATE it. I’ve had a million different instructors, a million different lessons over the years and never really took it seriously. In August last year I started again and took it seriously. I hate every single minute of it but this time I WILL do it. I failed my first ever test in March For something very silly and it’s been on hold ever since for obvious reasons. I’m dreading starting up again but I’ve just got to get through it. The problem I have is that I’m frightened of it. I’m frightened of being in control and frankly I don’t think I’m very good at it!! I have no words of wisdom otherwise I’d give them to myself but we’ll get there eh?!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
My post on my driving test is knocking about on here somewhere!!
I HATE it. I’ve had a million different instructors, a million different lessons over the years and never really took it seriously. In August last year I started again and took it seriously. I hate every single minute of it but this time I WILL do it. I failed my first ever test in March For something very silly and it’s been on hold ever since for obvious reasons. I’m dreading starting up again but I’ve just got to get through it. The problem I have is that I’m frightened of it. I’m frightened of being in control and frankly I don’t think I’m very good at it!! I have no words of wisdom otherwise I’d give them to myself but we’ll get there eh?!
Honestly I'm the same, someone once gave me this advice:
"eventually you'll realise that's its all good because you'll know its not the car that's in control, you're in control"
That's exactly what I'm scared of 😂 I don't drive much but can do it if I have to. Still hate it though, never understand people who go for a drive for fun

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Honestly I'm the same, someone once gave me this advice:
"eventually you'll realise that's its all good because you'll know its not the car that's in control, you're in control"
That's exactly what I'm scared of 😂 I don't drive much but can do it if I have to. Still hate it though, never understand people who go for a drive for fun
Neither do I! There is nothing remotely fun about it! I literally want to be able to drive the 3 miles to work and back. That’s it. My lessons are on a Thursday and I start getting nervous on a Tuesday afternoon! Bloody horrible experience so it is.

Reactions: 9
Neither do I! There is nothing remotely fun about it! I literally want to be able to drive the 3 miles to work and back. That’s it. My lessons are on a Thursday and I start getting nervous on a Tuesday afternoon! Bloody horrible experience so it is.
You'll be fine, especially if that's mainly going to be the extent of your driving and then you'll get used to it. My first trip on my own was 300 mile round trip on windy scottish roads and I made it (with only a few dodgy/illegal moments 😬)

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I was like that with my last instructor. Hoping my new one will make me feel a bit more comfortable. I love driving around in my car but hate lessons.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I failed a few driving tests, probably due to anxiety. The best advice I got was ;

If you aren't happy with your instructor, try another. I had about 5, the last 1 made me realise how much I preferred one of the others

Doing your observations is the thing you can control in your test . Do it ,react accordingly and make sure the examiner sees you do it.

Good look.

Reactions: 3
I failed my theory test 5 times, and driving test 3 times passing on my forth. I was still driving around industrial estates on my 30th lesson, I wasn’t at all a natural. Now I’ve been driving 8 years, drive the length of the country numerous times, drove city centres, drove abroad. It’s all Experience and confidence

I really reccomend automatic. I passed my test somehow in a manual a few years ago and getting back in a manual car was horrible. I will never drive manual again so wasn't worth the extra lessons. Soon automatic will be the main type of car with electirc cars becoming more popular. Just keep trying, automatic takes away the stress of looking down at the gears.

Reactions: 7
I couldnt get to grips with a manual, even my instructor told me I was wasting my time. Went to an automatic and passed both my theory and practical first time. This was around 5 years ago and ive driven maybe twice since then.
I hate it, my concentration isnt the best and for my safety and the safety of others I dont drive.

Reactions: 2
Good luck! I drive automatic, way easier than manual as there is not so much to "think" about and you can completely focus your mind on the road, etc.

Reactions: 4
I had loads of lessons and several instructors. The night before my first test i couldn't do anything! My instructor said he would still take me for my test but i cancelled it. Told him, dont mind embarrassing myself but didn't want to embarrass him.

He suggested changing to automatic and I agreed cos of I felt i had to salvage something out of the £££££ I'd spent.

I passed 2nd time at the age of 52!!! It's made such a difference to my life. Being able to chuck my shopping in the back and not have to humph it on and off buses. Being able to go places without having to panic about bus or train times. Not having to wait for taxis at the end of a night out (I don't drink)

It's also meant I've been able to get my mum out and about. She's getting frail and it was difficult getting on buses and trains. We wouldn't have survived lockdown without the car. Being able to drive to the riverside (5 min drive) and sit with a flask of tea has been life saver.

What I would say to you is to keep at it. It'll be worth it in the end. Your test is really about making sure you can control the car safely and are aware of what's going on around you. And I think is the most important thing - not that you're the best driver but that you aren't a danger to other road users.

Also if you're in the UK watch that series the secret of the driving test - guaranteed to make you feel like you're Lewis Hamilton!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Thank you for your stories everyone!! Will keep you all updated! Would love to follow overs stories x

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.