Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My instructor is annoyed I'm self isolating as my child has covid-19 symptoms. He's saying how do I expect to pass my test if I'm cancelling lessons šŸ˜’
I beg of you - please, find a new instructor, everything youā€™ve posted about him is just ringing alarm bells.

Reactions: 2
My instructor is annoyed I'm self isolating as my child has covid-19 symptoms. He's saying how do I expect to pass my test if I'm cancelling lessons šŸ˜’
I would seriously get rid. I remember my first driving instructor, I text him to say I needed to cancel as my mum had gone missing and he replied saying ā€œwell Iā€™m outside your houseā€. So I said ā€œwell Iā€™m not home, Iā€™m out looking for my mumā€ and he just replied ā€œI think we should take a break from lessons for a whileā€. (I couldnā€™t give him advanced notice as I literally had a call 20 mins before my lesson to say she was missing). I never heard from him again. šŸ™„

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I would seriously get rid. I remember my first driving instructor, I text him to say I needed to cancel as my mum had gone missing and he replied saying ā€œwell Iā€™m outside your houseā€. So I said ā€œwell Iā€™m not home, Iā€™m out looking for my mumā€ and he just replied ā€œI think we should take a break from lessons for a whileā€. (I couldnā€™t give him advanced notice as I literally had a call 20 mins before my lesson to say she was missing). I never heard from him again. šŸ™„
I had similar with my first instructor when my dog died.

I was glad to be shot of him

I had similar with my first instructor when my dog died.

I was glad to be shot of him
Wow thatā€™s awful. Some people are just ridiculous. Iā€™m so glad it gave me the push to get a different instructor, otherwise I probably wouldnā€™t be able to drive now!

Reactions: 1
Remember you are paying him, if heā€™s going to be a twit take your money elsewhere.

Iā€™m on the final straw with mine. I had to change my test from November because he was double booked - fair enough.
I managed to find one for September - he moaned and complained until I changed it as it was too early in the day. 9am.
I was lucky to find one in August. All fine, he wrote it in his diary and we planned my next month of lessons and then he rings me Saturday saying heā€™s double booked AGAIN. Iā€™ve just found one for October and will be checking like mad for an earlier cancellation but I will be complaining to him when I see him for my next lesson. Iā€™ve got a lot going on atm so I changed it instead of adding more stress by trying to change instructors but if he messes me around one more time thatā€™s it.

Remember you are paying him, if heā€™s going to be a twit take your money elsewhere.
So many people said that to me about my penultimate instructor, who was always cancelling lessons and saying heā€™d told me things over the phone when he hadnā€™t- I suffer from paranoia so just assumed I was the one making mistakes, but for some reason I felt like I couldnā€™t tell him I didnā€™t want lessons. He always went on and on about me being a single parent (as if I was there with my begging bowl) and how he was being so nice to me by knocking Ā£3 or Ā£4 off a block of lessons. He charged me Ā£600 for lessons before lockdown 1 and never contacted me or responded to my messages. So much for giving my a discount for a single parent.

• Wow
So many people said that to me about my penultimate instructor, who was always cancelling lessons and saying heā€™d told me things over the phone when he hadnā€™t- I suffer from paranoia so just assumed I was the one making mistakes, but for some reason I felt like I couldnā€™t tell him I didnā€™t want lessons. He always went on and on about me being a single parent (as if I was there with my begging bowl) and how he was being so nice to me by knocking Ā£3 or Ā£4 off a block of lessons. He charged me Ā£600 for lessons before lockdown 1 and never contacted me or responded to my messages. So much for giving my a discount for a single parent.
Jesusā€¦ you didnā€™t have my old instructor did you?
Mine used to make a big deal out of the fact that I lived in a terrace house, heā€™d regularly tell me that theyā€™re full of problems, but cheap and affordableā€¦ and then heā€™d drive me past his detached four bed (not joking) šŸ™„.

He also said to me ā€œDubai is nice, if you can ever afford itā€. I slipped it in convo once that I go to Florida each year and he asked ā€œdo you go in a group? Itā€™s very expensive going thereā€¦ā€ as if I couldnā€™t afford to go?šŸ™„ and once when I said I was taking my mum to Gran Canaria, he said he went and it was cheap and nastyā€¦ šŸ™„

i mean the funniest thing was when he used to say ā€œyou could do with two hours a week, but you wouldnā€™t be able to afford thatā€. Baring in mind, we had NEVER discussed my finances and Iā€™d never said that I couldnā€™t afford two hours! Yes I worked in a call centre, but I was on 19k and my partner was an IT engineerā€¦šŸ™„ i laugh about it now, but my god he was a knob! šŸ˜‚

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Mine used to make a big deal out of the fact that I lived in a terrace house, heā€™d regularly tell me that theyā€™re full of problems, but cheap and affordableā€¦ and then heā€™d drive me past his detached four bed (not joking) šŸ™„.

He also said to me ā€œDubai is nice, if you can ever afford itā€. I slipped it in convo once that I go to Florida each year and he asked ā€œdo you go in a group? Itā€™s very expensive going thereā€¦ā€ as if I couldnā€™t afford to go?šŸ™„ and once when I said I was taking my mum to Gran Canaria, he said he went and it was cheap and nastyā€¦ šŸ™„

i mean the funniest thing was when he used to say ā€œyou could do with two hours a week, but you wouldnā€™t be able to afford thatā€. Baring in mind, we had NEVER discussed my finances and Iā€™d never said that I couldnā€™t afford two hours! Yes I worked in a call centre, but I was on 19k and my partner was an IT engineerā€¦šŸ™„ i laugh about it now, but my god he was a knob! šŸ˜‚
I think we mustā€™ve because mine used to drive me past his house every lesson!

• Wow
Why are there so many SHITE driving instructors around?
Iā€™ve not had terrible experiences but I feel like sharing a few of mine šŸ˜‚ BELT UP, itā€™s a long one!

First instructor I ever had I was with for a while but then I had a huge cystic acne breakout which was VILE to look at, was so painful and I wouldnā€™t even leave the house. Anyway I text her to cancel my lesson 2 days in advance, explained what happened and said how sorry I was. We had a lesson booked in the following week but she never replied to my text and never turned up to the lesson the following week so I gave up with her.

Found another instructor who advertised that she taught pupils in my town but it seemed she rarely came to my area. I told her my address, had the first lesson booked. Waited for ages on the day and she never turned up. So I text her and she said she turned up but couldnā€™t find my house! Then she apparently realised sheā€™d gone to the same name road in another town and couldnā€™t find my house number, even asked the postman apparently. Then rather than ringing me she just drove off and never contacted me as I was the one who messaged her!? So booked another lesson, she turned up that week with another pupil in the car and she had to drive him home first which was about 25 mins away. Then she made me drive from his house back to mine, having no idea how good or safe I was at driving and Iā€™d never done main roads before. Got back to my house and she said she was going in for surgery and wasnā€™t available for 4 weeks. Told me to text her in 4 weeks for another lesson and she also said she would contact me. Neither of us bothered so that was the end of her šŸ˜‚

I moved to another city and found an elder lady with loads of experience to teach me. On my first lesson I got to her car she couldnā€™t believe how tiny she was and she was well in her 70s! She had really old fashioned ways of teaching and didnā€™t understand why I was struggling with certain things and got really impatient - Iā€™m a bleeping learner! Her lessons made me so bloody anxious I binned her as well.

The next one was ok but we didnā€™t quite gel. Then she turned into a right twit. She worked for a driving school who used a computer booking system to book in lessons. I had a week off cos I was busy so then text her to book my next lesson in She offered me a time which I agreed then the booking confirmation text was the wrong day so I text her and told her I couldnā€™t do the day she had booked me in for as we had agreed the day before. She text back and said sheā€™d book me in for another day. I never got another booking confirmation text so I was confused. That Saturday I went to my mums and my driving instructor rung me saying Iā€™m outside where are you? I said I didnā€™t know we had a lesson!? I never got a text. She text back saying sheā€™s booked me in for the following week but I still got no booking confirmation. The day before my supposed lesson she text me checking I could still do the next day. I said ā€œno? I didnā€™t know we had a lesson tomorrow I got no text about it?ā€. She was really arsey and I sent her a clear text explaining that I am NOT receiving the confirmation texts from the driving school for some reason so can she please text me personally with the day and time otherwise I have no idea when the lesson is. She said the problem must be my phone.Then a few days later she texts me at 8am ā€œif youā€™re awake I can do a lesson now?ā€ wtf!? I was so fucked off with her that I binned her as well šŸ˜‚

I am FINALLY with an amazing instructor now but I went through hell to get here šŸ˜‚

• Wow
Reactions: 6

I would have slammed the breaks on an exploded.

The only reason Iā€™m sticking with mine is because heā€™s in his 40th year of teaching and everyone knows him/has passed with him so Iā€™m trusting his judgment.

I would have slammed the breaks on an exploded.

The only reason Iā€™m sticking with mine is because heā€™s in his 40th year of teaching and everyone knows him/has passed with him so Iā€™m trusting his judgment.
Doesnā€™t mean heā€™s any good!

Sounds similar to a driving instructor I had (but opposite) - she had a weird chip on her shoulder because she seemed to think I came from money or something and she would make these odd comments. I was living at home at the time and was about 22 working part time so definitely not rich but as I was living at home she seemed to assume I was a sponger living off my ā€œrichā€ parents. We had a nice house but nothing extravagant. I stupidly kept her for ages as she made me feel like I was the one with the issue - itā€™s hard to explain. My self esteem was really low at the time so I just accepted it.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Still having lessons! Not learning anything new though. Wish my test was sooner šŸ˜©
Use your lessons to do mock tests. Thereā€™s no point just driving around aimlessly, tell your instructor you want to do mock tests and just drill all the manouvers/test routes/independant drives etc - they should be using the time YOU are paying them for properly.

• Heart
Howā€™s everyone getting on?
Iā€™ve got a new test date for October after he was double booked for my august test. Iā€™m just going to hope we arenā€™t back in restrictions by then..! Enjoying my lessons, Iā€™m kinda glad itā€™s been pushed back as I feel more confident every lesson

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.