Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My lesson today went so so well! Really given me a massive confidence boost that I can do this and i am a good driver. My instructor had barely any comments to make

Reactions: 6
Just failed my test. Examiner was actually so horrible from the get go ... “step back step back you’re too close” ... also really unclear with communication.. I’m actually in shock at how poor communication was and also when I made a mistake she was making lots of “tutting” sounds/sounds of frustration 😢

• Sad
  • Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm in the same boat (well, I was, prior to these repetitive lockdowns). I passed my theory test in 2018 and started the lessons then. Well, 3 years later, I still don't have my full license which is a huge frustration!

1. First instructor (School A) - Terrible, one lesson, he was rude and asked me to do more lessons before starting the EDT. Ridiculous.

2. Second instructor (School B) - Great lady, but she ended up leaving the school.

3. Third instructor (School B) - Great instructor, but he was really pushing to get me to book more lessons as he knew I was solely relying on them to get some driving experience. I was spending tons of money on those and they were getting rather expensive with no discount. The school was also quite pushy to get me to book lessons. One time, he mentioned about how some of his students gave him tips after they passed and said we should go for a drink after the lesson. I stopped the lessons right after that. It's inappropriate to expect me to give him an additional tip when I'm already paying a fortune on lessons (most expensive school in Dublin).

At that point, I already had one year experience (3/4 hours per week).

4. Fourth instructor (School C) - Father of a former colleague. Complete car crash. Took lessons with him for a year in addition to the above mentioned year. Failed the test twice in Raheny. Second time around, he increased the price of the test car rental on the spot right before my test because he saw I didn't have any change (price was 135, but I only had 150 and he said "Oh it's 150" - complete lie as he had only charged me 135 the last time and never mentioned any price increase). Then I went on to take the test and the tester took me for a one hour drive (not the usual process). Then when got back to the center, he said the car was not road worthy and he knew it as soon as he got into the car but didn't want to stop the test because I had paid (lol). Failed the test obviously and he asked whether I ever drove in a different country as I was confusing my right and left (complete joke, I only have experience in Ireland - obviously prejudiced as he saw I was born overseas). The instructor said his car was perfectly fine (bit of a lie as the car was indeed roaring the whole time). Needless to say, I never took lessons with him again.

At this point, I still have my provisional, but hoping to take automatic lessons once this lockdown is up and with a bit of luck, I'll be able to put this disaster behind me. If I'd known then, I would have gone for automatic instead of this manual hassle, but at least I have some experience now. Next test might not be in Raheny though. Pass rates are low and testers are quite rude.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Just failed my test. Examiner was actually so horrible from the get go ... “step back step back you’re too close” ... also really unclear with communication.. I’m actually in shock at how poor communication was and also when I made a mistake she was making lots of “tutting” sounds/sounds of frustration 😢
Oh no, I’m sorry to hear that. Did you talk it over with them and your instructor?

I'm in the same boat (well, I was, prior to these repetitive lockdowns). I passed my theory test in 2018 and started the lessons then. Well, 3 years later, I still don't have my full license which is a huge frustration!

1. First instructor (School A) - Terrible, one lesson, he was rude and asked me to do more lessons before starting the EDT. Ridiculous.

2. Second instructor (School B) - Great lady, but she ended up leaving the school.

3. Third instructor (School B) - Great instructor, but he was really pushing to get me to book more lessons as he knew I was solely relying on them to get some driving experience. I was spending tons of money on those and they were getting rather expensive with no discount. The school was also quite pushy to get me to book lessons. One time, he mentioned about how some of his students gave him tips after they passed and said we should go for a drink after the lesson. I stopped the lessons right after that. It's inappropriate to expect me to give him an additional tip when I'm already paying a fortune on lessons (most expensive school in Dublin).

At that point, I already had one year experience (3/4 hours per week).

4. Fourth instructor (School C) - Father of a former colleague. Complete car crash. Took lessons with him for a year in addition to the above mentioned year. Failed the test twice in Raheny. Second time around, he increased the price of the test car rental on the spot right before my test because he saw I didn't have any change (price was 135, but I only had 150 and he said "Oh it's 150" - complete lie as he had only charged me 135 the last time and never mentioned any price increase). Then I went on to take the test and the tester took me for a one hour drive (not the usual process). Then when got back to the center, he said the car was not road worthy and he knew it as soon as he got into the car but didn't want to stop the test because I had paid (lol). Failed the test obviously and he asked whether I ever drove in a different country as I was confusing my right and left (complete joke, I only have experience in Ireland - obviously prejudiced as he saw I was born overseas). The instructor said his car was perfectly fine (bit of a lie as the car was indeed roaring the whole time). Needless to say, I never took lessons with him again.

At this point, I still have my provisional, but hoping to take automatic lessons once this lockdown is up and with a bit of luck, I'll be able to put this disaster behind me. If I'd known then, I would have gone for automatic instead of this manual hassle, but at least I have some experience now. Next test might not be in Raheny though. Pass rates are low and testers are quite rude.
Don’t give up. I’d been learning for 12 years (!!) on and off before I found an instructor I’m happy with.

Reactions: 2
So sorry, I hope you get to try again soon 🙁 I would have to say something if they were tutting, that’s so unprofessional!

That says a lot about them as a teacher. I’m sorry she was so rude- fingers crossed for a more professional examiner next time.

Reactions: 1
I had my first manual driving lesson last week and although the actual driving part went well my instructor was terrible. He would use his phone and blast it on speaker which would distract me so much. He asked me personal questions about my relationship and if I loved my partner. He done a whole lot of talking about everything except driving. Didn't go through the Cockpit drill properly. Didn't teach me nothing about mirrors. Threw me straight on the road and kept kissing his teeth when I made a mistake despite me telling him I'm nervous and it's my first time. What really had me questioning his professionalism is when he asked me if I could drive back home! Honestly that session was enough to put me off but I've booked another instructor for 2 weeks time and also in an automatic car this time. Hopefully I'll have a better experience. Good luck to you all doing your theories and/or practical test x

• Angry
Reactions: 5
I had my first manual driving lesson last week and although the actual driving part went well my instructor was terrible. He would use his phone and blast it on speaker which would distract me so much. He asked me personal questions about my relationship and if I loved my partner. He done a whole lot of talking about everything except driving. Didn't go through the Cockpit drill properly. Didn't teach me nothing about mirrors. Threw me straight on the road and kept kissing his teeth when I made a mistake despite me telling him I'm nervous and it's my first time. What really had me questioning his professionalism is when he asked me if I could drive back home! Honestly that session was enough to put me off but I've booked another instructor for 2 weeks time and also in an automatic car this time. Hopefully I'll have a better experience. Good luck to you all doing your theories and/or practical test x
It’s so disheartening when you get a dodgy instructor. Your instructors sounds like my old one (asking questions about my relationship status, saying I’m attractive, taking the wheel as soon as I’ve moved off). I’m doing automatic now with a female instructor and it’s a lot easier. Best of luck x

Reactions: 3
For everyone who is having bad experiences with instructors, please report them. If you don’t, they will continue getting away with taking money from learners and providing a sub standard service.
Your instructor shouldn’t be using their mobile phone during your lesson, they shouldn’t be asking you personal questions about anything, they shouldn’t be tutting at you or sighing if you make an error. If you feel you are getting bad service please report them. If they work for a larger company then report them to their employer and file a complaint as above.

Reactions: 5
Instructors like this make me wonder how they manage to stay in business. Sorry it was such a horrible experience ❤

For everyone who is having bad experiences with instructors, please report them. If you don’t, they will continue getting away with taking money from learners and providing a sub standard service.
Your instructor shouldn’t be using their mobile phone during your lesson, they shouldn’t be asking you personal questions about anything, they shouldn’t be tutting at you or sighing if you make an error. If you feel you are getting bad service please report them. If they work for a larger company then report them to their employer and file a complaint as above.
Thank you for sharing this Betty! I wish so much I had reported my penultimate instructor. Fleeced me out of hundreds, was always trying to make out he was doing me a favour because I was a single mother, used to tell me about his sex life!

I have something very exciting to report 😁 had my first driving lesson going out with my sister and it went so well! Completely boosted my confidence 😁 I'm now excited for my driving lesson next week and for my test next month. I'm like a completely different person. I now realise I CAN drive. And I am actually a good driver.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I've been feeling more positive about driving lessons again! Suddenly the clutch isn't as awful as I made it out to be.

• Heart
Lessons going well thanks! So glad I switched to automatic. Got my theory on Sunday, so revising all week.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’m still waiting on my first automatic lesson but have had a quick go in our new auto car. Haven’t quite got the hang of it but pleased to have made some steps forward.

Getting a little anxious about meeting new instructor etc but nothing I can’t handle.

Just hope I can get enough practice in and get confident on the road before my test date/ theory runs out 😬

Was going to check in on everyone today and see how you’re all doing! My driving test is only 6 lessons away which is so scary 😭 I feel prepared apart from the huge islands and roundabouts where I just never know what lane I should be in. The only reason I know is cos my instructor tells me and I check with her. I would feel so pressured to pass my test if there wasn’t such a massive waiting list for tests atm. God knows when my next one would be 😭

Was going to check in on everyone today and see how you’re all doing! My driving test is only 6 lessons away which is so scary 😭 I feel prepared apart from the huge islands and roundabouts where I just never know what lane I should be in. The only reason I know is cos my instructor tells me and I check with her. I would feel so pressured to pass my test if there wasn’t such a massive waiting list for tests atm. God knows when my next one would be 😭
For your next few lessons, ask your instructor not to prompt you with the lanes - explain to her that this is where you feel unconfident and ask her to allow you to start making the decision for yourself. Don’t be afraid to raise it with her, she needs to know how you feel so she can help you!

• Heart
Hey everyone! So happy to have found this thread. I start my lessons tomorrow. I’m a complete beginner 🤦🏼‍♀️ at driving but passed my theory last year. Had a taster lesson with my instructor last week and she was so lovely and made me feel at ease. I’m ridiculously nervous now though. I’ve been watching YouTube videos etc. but are there any tips you can offer which you would of liked to have been given when you were in my position?

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.