Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey everyone! So happy to have found this thread. I start my lessons tomorrow. I’m a complete beginner 🤦🏼‍♀️ at driving but passed my theory last year. Had a taster lesson with my instructor last week and she was so lovely and made me feel at ease. I’m ridiculously nervous now though. I’ve been watching YouTube videos etc. but are there any tips you can offer which you would of liked to have been given when you were in my position?
It’s completely normal to feel nervous! Learning to drive is a huge thing to do! I still get anxious before my lessons and I’ve got almost 20 hours under my belt.

Your instructor will probably just go through the basics on your first lesson (cockpit drill, starting and stopping) and build from there. The main thing I’ve learnt in my lessons is to not compare myself to other drivers on the road and remember this is a skill I’m learning.

Let us know how you get on 😊

Reactions: 3
Hey everyone! So happy to have found this thread. I start my lessons tomorrow. I’m a complete beginner 🤦🏼‍♀️ at driving but passed my theory last year. Had a taster lesson with my instructor last week and she was so lovely and made me feel at ease. I’m ridiculously nervous now though. I’ve been watching YouTube videos etc. but are there any tips you can offer which you would of liked to have been given when you were in my position?
Best of luck with your lessons, enjoy the learning experience and it is great you got good vibes from your instructor.

I would say do not doubt yourself, do not be too hard on yourself if you make mistakes, it is normal and okay to be worried/stressed or anxious and do not feel pressure to learn or pass the practical exam in a certain amount of time. Everyone is different and learns at a different pace.

It took me over 2 years to learn/pass. At first I kept comparing myself to others but eventually told myself that I was doing it at my pace.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I'm having my first ever driving lesson on Thursday and I'm already talking myself out of it. I think I really need to do this for my own independence and just to show myself I can do it. I have bad anxiety around driving and I've been putting it off since I was in sixth form. I just don't know a lot about cars, driving and the roads which makes it so much worse for me!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm having my first ever driving lesson on Thursday and I'm already talking myself out of it. I think I really need to do this for my own independence and just to show myself I can do it. I have bad anxiety around driving and I've been putting it off since I was in sixth form. I just don't know a lot about cars, driving and the roads which makes it so much worse for me!
I’ve been learning on and off since my early 20s and it’s only since I’ve been doing lessons post-lockdown that my confidence driving / on the road has grown. It is a great life skill to have in my opinion and gives you so much freedom - try and channel that into your lessons. It is anxiety inducing but maybe talk to your instructor about your worries? X

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Bananas and/or rescue remedy to help with nerves
Make sure you tell you're instructor if things are progressing at a rate you're not comfortable with
Deep breaths when/if you feel panicky

• Heart
I’m flying through my lessons but still no tests available in my area. My instructor said I would have passed January this year if it wasn’t for the lockdowns 😝

• Sad
I’ve been learning on and off since my early 20s and it’s only since I’ve been doing lessons post-lockdown that my confidence driving / on the road has grown. It is a great life skill to have in my opinion and gives you so much freedom - try and channel that into your lessons. It is anxiety inducing but maybe talk to your instructor about your worries? X
It's really positive to hear that your confidence driving has grown. ☺ Yes I think I need to keep reminding myself how much freedom I will have because I've just started using public transport again this week after being driven to appointments for the past year and it's really stressed me out. I didn't realise so much had changed with the routes and it made me realise how much independence I've lost. I have briefly mentioned it to him over the phone and he was quite nice about it so I'm just hoping he'll be a good 'un in person too. x

I’m flying through my lessons but still no tests available in my area. My instructor said I would have passed January this year if it wasn’t for the lockdowns 😝
I hope you can get booked in soon! Fingers crossed for you. 🤞

For your next few lessons, ask your instructor not to prompt you with the lanes - explain to her that this is where you feel unconfident and ask her to allow you to start making the decision for yourself. Don’t be afraid to raise it with her, she needs to know how you feel so she can help you!
I will do, thanks! I think also I’m struggling cos I can’t see the road signs clearly enough. Went for an eye test a few weeks ago and I need glasses for driving! Picking them up in the morning and I think that will really change things for me as well. I think I’ll be shocked at how poor my sight is at the mo 😳

Reactions: 1
I will do, thanks! I think also I’m struggling cos I can’t see the road signs clearly enough. Went for an eye test a few weeks ago and I need glasses for driving! Picking them up in the morning and I think that will really change things for me as well. I think I’ll be shocked at how poor my sight is at the mo 😳
Did your instructor not do an eye test with you on your very first lesson?! Yes, being able to see is pretty important!!! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
When I started out learning I knew absolutely nothing. I remember on my first lesson my instructor asked me to push the clutch down and I asked "sorry, what?". But the instructor has probably seen hundreds of people before you who were on the same level as you or worse, it's what they're there for. It is nerve-wracking, there's no denying that but I promise you once you've had even just 1 lesson you'll wonder what you were so worried about! I was a bag of nerves, but your confidence will build. The independence which comes from driving is absolutely worth the time, money and nerves when you're learning. Good luck!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Did your instructor not do an eye test with you on your very first lesson?! Yes, being able to see is pretty important!!! 😂
Hahaha yes she did but I had cataract surgery a few years ago (I'm not 80 I'm only 29 😂) and my eye has clouded up again recently (need another op!). It became apparent when I couldn't see the road signs hahaha. I've got my glasses now and the difference is remarkable so I can't wait to get in my car now and be able to see :ROFLMAO:

Had a driving lesson today, did really well. Instructor says practice as much in between lessons as possible (which isn't very much sadly) but on track for passing driving test next month 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Thank you all so much for your positive advice. Just finished my lesson now and I feel so good! We spent the majority of the time on a small car park and ended up on a quiet road getting into 2nd gear and pulling up. It seems crazy the amount of things you need to be doing but I know it will all come in time.
Worryingly she doesn’t know if a test date will become available this year as she said a lot of larger companies which offer intensive courses are block booking them as soon as the times become available making it harder for those doing weekly lessons but I’m sure as more restrictions are lifted the more tests will become available.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on buying your first car? Like should I try to buy it outright, or is finance okay? I've been looking around on autotrader, gumtree Arnold Cark etc and really like the look of a mini countryman. I have no idea what to look for, no one I know drives and can offer any advice.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on buying your first car? Like should I try to buy it outright, or is finance okay? I've been looking around on autotrader, gumtree Arnold Cark etc and really like the look of a mini countryman. I have no idea what to look for, no one I know drives and can offer any advice.
I am looking for a car that is in a low insurance group and is 1.4L engine or less. I'm learning in a Vauxhall Corsa and they are quite good! Citreon C1/Peugeot 107 are the same car and are good first cars. As are Skoda Citigo/Seat Mii/VW Up! (all the same car). Mini's are expensive to insure and I think are a pain to repair? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

• Heart
Nearly cancelled my lesson for Thursday but talked myself out of it. I need to do this for myself!

Reactions: 1
Get a cheap little runaround as your first car. A second hand, small engine, cheap to insure little car, less than £1000. In your first year or so of driving after you pass, that’s when you actually learn to drive - you want something cheap to run, cheap to insure and that if you ding it, it’s not the end of the world. Don’t get sucked into getting a car on finance as your first car!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.