Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m 10 months in passing and owning the car and it potentially needs some expensive work doing to it 😭😫 I probably wouldn’t have got a brand new car but get the best that you can afford. I wish we spent a bit more on ours! It’s really put us off buying a ‘second hand’ one again so looking into leasing or finance now and tbh leasing is looking a bit more appealing to us which I didn’t expect!

Reactions: 1
I’m 10 months in passing and owning the car and it potentially needs some expensive work doing to it 😭😫 I probably wouldn’t have got a brand new car but get the best that you can afford. I wish we spent a bit more on ours! It’s really put us off buying a ‘second hand’ one again so looking into leasing or finance now and tbh leasing is looking a bit more appealing to us which I didn’t expect!
I second this. I think leasing is a good way to go. My first car only cost £1000 but broke down several times (once on a major slip road which was terrifying). It was just too much stress for me when I’d only been driving a few weeks!! Luckily my second car was ok but you never know what you’re buying. My car clearly had issues before it was sold to me :mad:

I got a brand new fiesta on PCP for my first car.

Servicing is every other year so that's cheaper too. No MOT for first 3 years. Peace of mind it isn't going to break and if it does you have a warranty.

I loved it and never dinked it or scraped an alloy or anything

Yeah now that it’s happened I can’t drive anywhere by myself unless it’s really local because im scared it’s going to break down, not worth the stress of it. Taking it to the garage today and if it’s more than 500 to fix we’re going to scrap it 😭😭

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on buying your first car? Like should I try to buy it outright, or is finance okay? I've been looking around on autotrader, gumtree Arnold Cark etc and really like the look of a mini countryman. I have no idea what to look for, no one I know drives and can offer any advice.
I got mine on finance. £129 a month. I pay everything else for it every August (I have it 18 months before passing) it’s a nice little Ford Fiesta!

Reactions: 2
My best friends work for big car dealers and say don’t go brand new but 6-12 months old, you’ll save quite a bit. Luckily they’re gonna sort me my first car.

I have my first ever driving lesson at 2pm and I'm close to tears just thinking about it. Really hope it isn't a big disaster! 😔

• Heart
I have my first ever driving lesson at 2pm and I'm close to tears just thinking about it. Really hope it isn't a big disaster! 😔
I’m sure you will do great. Nerves are completely normal, it’s a huge thing learning to drive. Let us know how you get on x

• Heart
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on buying your first car? Like should I try to buy it outright, or is finance okay? I've been looking around on autotrader, gumtree Arnold Cark etc and really like the look of a mini countryman. I have no idea what to look for, no one I know drives and can offer any advice.
I had a £500 corsa for my first car, then financed a newer model. My advice would be if you're going to finance, DON'T feel pressured to use the finance the dealership is offering you - shop around for your own finance. I got mine on a "car loan" through my bank and my finance was around £70/£80 per month when it would have been £120 if I'd have used the finance the dealership offered.
My partner works with cars and he says Mini's are notorious for going wrong unfortunately.

I’m sure you will do great. Nerves are completely normal, it’s a huge thing learning to drive. Let us know how you get on x
It will be fine. We all started at the beginning.
How did you get on?
Thank you all for your kind words! ❤ It was a lot of information in 1 hour for me but I am a complete novice. I stalled once because I panicked but the driving instructor was nice about it and I didn't stall after that. I am really pleased with myself for going ahead and not cancelling the lesson because I am notorious for talking myself out of things. I have another session booked for next Saturday so hopefully I don't forget how to start the car!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Thank you all for your kind words! ❤ It was a lot of information in 1 hour for me but I am a complete novice. I stalled once because I panicked but the driving instructor was nice about it and I didn't stall after that. I am really pleased with myself for going ahead and not cancelling the lesson because I am notorious for talking myself out of things. I have another session booked for next Saturday so hopefully I don't forget how to start the car!
Glad it went well.

• Heart
I really recommend DGN Driving School on YouTube. It's so helpful to watch between lessons and he does mock tests with people where you can see what went wrong and why. I'm a visual learner and this has been so helpful.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Does anyone know when they release new test dates? My instructor says I have to check everyday until I get one.

Does anyone know when they release new test dates? My instructor says I have to check everyday until I get one.
Just keep checking, they only show 3 months ahead anyway I think but keep checking and see if you can get a cancellation

Guys. I had my second driving lesson ! Much better instructor and I felt a little more confident making left turns. Can't wait for the next lesson now

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I really recommend DGN Driving School on YouTube. It's so helpful to watch between lessons and he does mock tests with people where you can see what went wrong and why. I'm a visual learner and this has been so helpful.
I was going to recommend DGN too! I watched the channel often when I was learning to drive, it really helped. He does mock tests and a weekly video of a lesson with a learner.

I passed last August at 25 weeks pregnant but haven't driven since! Buying a car went on the back burner after having baby :ROFLMAO:

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.