Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm a lot more confident on the road in my automatic lessons - I think it's a combination of automatic and my instructor.

I've written before on this thread about my last instructor. It makes the world of difference.

Reactions: 3
The right instructor definitely makes a difference

My first instructor was so rude and obnoxious

Second one completely got my nerves and was very patient and friendly

Reactions: 1
I’ve had 3 all together. First one; his car was filthy and I found it distracting. Didn’t turn up one lesson to pick me up at home, I was stood looking out of the window and he texts me saying I didn’t turn up?!

Second one; Tried it on with me, made comments about my looks. Whenever I did something ‘wrong’ he would take the wheel from me, use his pedals, and proceed to give me a lecture. Bye

Im with a female now and she is lovely, we talk about all sorts while I’m driving and it really helps me. She gives me good tips and tells me what I need to focus on.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
This week's lesson was an improvement on last week, but so frustrating that I was test level prior to lockdown and now I'm not. Feel like I'm wasting my money.

Reactions: 2
This week's lesson was an improvement on last week, but so frustrating that I was test level prior to lockdown and now I'm not. Feel like I'm wasting my money.
It’s not a waste of money, if it’s all going towards getting you ready for your test. When you say you were test ready prior to lock down but now aren’t, what is it that you feel you have lost since then? Is it just the confidence of driving? If so - and if it’s just that - then I’d hammer a few lessons a week and get your test booked now. If you are technically fully able to do everything and it’s just building the confidence again then just bite the bullet, get a test booked and work towards that.

• Heart
My lesson is at 2pm and I really don’t fancy it. Test centres are all booked up with no dates available at all and I just feel like I’m wasting my money. My friend lives three hours away and they have no test dates until October!

I ask him what I need to focus or work on and he says nothing.

• Sad
My lesson is at 2pm and I really don’t fancy it. Test centres are all booked up with no dates available at all and I just feel like I’m wasting my money. My friend lives three hours away and they have no test dates until October!

If he’s saying that you don’t need to work on anything and therefore are “test ready” then just tell him that you will drop down to 1 lesson a month or whatever for now instead of wasting money on lessons that you don’t need and then get your test booked for as soon as you can and then have a few additional lessons in the run up to it? Remember you are paying him for a service- you decide when you have lessons, not him! If he’s saying you have nothing to work on then he shouldn’t have an issue with you doing the above.

Reactions: 4
It’s not a waste of money, if it’s all going towards getting you ready for your test. When you say you were test ready prior to lock down but now aren’t, what is it that you feel you have lost since then? Is it just the confidence of driving? If so - and if it’s just that - then I’d hammer a few lessons a week and get your test booked now. If you are technically fully able to do everything and it’s just building the confidence again then just bite the bullet, get a test booked and work towards that.
It is purely just my confidence. I dont have anyone who can let me drive their car outside of lessons so I guess that doesn't help 😅

Keep checking for cancellations, you may get lucky 🤞🏽 I know it's frustrating regarding the backlog of tests meaning you've got a good 5+ months to wait 😭

If he’s saying that you don’t need to work on anything and therefore are “test ready” then just tell him that you will drop down to 1 lesson a month or whatever for now instead of wasting money on lessons that you don’t need and then get your test booked for as soon as you can and then have a few additional lessons in the run up to it? Remember you are paying him for a service- you decide when you have lessons, not him! If he’s saying you have nothing to work on then he shouldn’t have an issue with you doing the above.
Thank you. I feel it’s pointless just joy riding around while he tells me boring old stories but I know he won’t want to lose the money either.

The right instructor definitely makes a difference

My first instructor was so rude and obnoxious

Second one completely got my nerves and was very patient and friendly
Yes I will deffo find a good new instructor.The last woman told me to book my test manually after one lesson with her.Then 2 days before the test I reminded her my test was booked she told me I wasn’t ready.So I cancelled.London is full of horrible driving instructors my next will be my fifth 😆🙏

• Wow
I already have my licence but dunno where else to post this

I'm driving on completely new (to me) roads tonight and I'm honestly bricking it lol why am I like this 🤷‍♀️ tell me you experienced lot if you still get a bit nervous in new places, even when you know you can drive it's just all in your head

I'm driving on completely new (to me) roads tonight and I'm honestly bricking it lol why am I like this 🤷‍♀️ tell me you experienced lot if you still get a bit nervous in new places, even when you know you can drive it's just all in your head
I think for sure it’s all a mind thing. I’m a nervous wreck before my lessons - I always Google how to start a car before my lessons 😂 then I get to the car and I just do it like it’s natural! So weird.

• Haha
I think for sure it’s all a mind thing. I’m a nervous wreck before my lessons - I always Google how to start a car before my lessons 😂 then I get to the car and I just do it like it’s natural! So weird.
God my current mood haha think I'll just grab a bit of fuel first to get back into the swing of it before the drive

I'm like this too , I worry about getting parked etc . I think it's anxiety playing tricks on me. I'm sure I've got worse over the years , not better.

Oh parking 😂 that is one thing that bugs me in a new place as I just "know" the bays in my regular places

Stg some bays are proper narrow and hard to park

I’m doing some parking on my next lesson. I’m finding everything so much easier with an automatic!

Oh parking 😂 that is one thing that bugs me in a new place as I just "know" the bays in my regular places

Stg some bays are proper narrow and hard to park
I can imagine myself once I pass to use forward parking bays only 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Lol me I only reverse park if I have no other choice
I'm the complete opposite. I can't for the life of my front bay park 🤦🏼‍♀️

If I can't reverse in it, or drive right through so I'm front on for pulling out, I'm not parking there haha

• Haha
I'm the complete opposite. I can't for the life of my front bay park 🤦🏼‍♀️

If I can't reverse in it, or drive right through so I'm front on for pulling out, I'm not parking there haha
I find it easier to reverse in too, I know where cars end at the back , but I can't tell at the front.

I find it easier to reverse in too, I know where cars end at the back , but I can't tell at the front.
I think that's my problem I can't see the front end haha.

Also I don't like reversing out if spaces as it isn't always easy to see if something is coming. Prefer to pull out front on

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.