Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I got overtook loads on my lesson last Sunday, I'm a learner! I'm learning how to drive safely, no acting like an idiot with no patience!
Don’t pay any attention to anyone who overtakes you - just as long as you are driving at an appropriate speed for the road and conditions. Try to keep to the speed limit and not drive too much slower, if you are on a 60mph road try to be going at 60, or whatever speed the road is.

Do any of you have advice for the theory side of it all?

I keep being pushed to start learning and tbf it would be very useful, but having looked at some theory books I have no clue where to start or what to do
Get the official DVLA theory test kit and app on your phone. Try doing a mock test, and then go from there. Just do the mock tests daily and anything you don’t know then look up and learn. Practice the hazard perception part.

Reactions: 6

I keep being pushed to start learning and tbf it would be very useful, but having looked at some theory books I have no clue where to start or what to do
Check if your library provide free access to theory test pro or similar. Mine did and I just used that and got 50/50 on the questions and can't remember what I got on hazard perception but I passed first time!

I think if you're an older learner you know more of the answers from experience of being in cars etc

Get the official DVLA theory test kit and app on your phone. Try doing a mock test, and then go from there. Just do the mock tests daily and anything you don’t know then look up and learn. Practice the hazard perception part.
100% recommend this app! I put it on my ipad, used it every night for a few hours, did all the quizzes, games and mock tests and passed my theory first time!

Just got back from my lesson, my confidence has improved so much I'm really happy! Those pesky roundabouts still need some work but everything else is generally ok and I actually enjoy my lessons now as I'm not scared of driving! It's so good to read everyone elses posts as well and know I'm not alone in learning to drive as previously I've only been able to talk to people who have already passed!

• Heart

Don’t bother with books. Pay for the app and just practice the mock test over and over. 99% of the questions are common sense and a piece of piss.

Reactions: 3
With the app you can also flag the questions you struggle with, so there were some which were piss easy and I got right every time, but there were some that every time it cropped up I was like "tit I can't remember" so I flagged those ones so they appear more often and you eventually you'll remember the answer if you answer it often enough if that makes sense? For me personally there were about 10 questions which I could never remember and I just focused on those and made sure I always got them right and the rest were common sense.

I was so overwhelmed at the beginning when I started revising and thought "do I really need to read all this" there were some sections I definitely did need to read but generally what I kept doing is doing the mock tests and seeing which areas I was really weak on and I'd go and read that section.

Reactions: 3

The official theory app was a god send

Reactions: 1
I also got the James May app which was good for hazard perception :)

just moved house and booking a new instructor for next week which is terrifying! Two hour lessons make me so nervous 😬

I had one instructor in a manual car. He got on my nerves so I stopped going. We needed to travel down south so I decided I needed to pass my test quickly. I got an automatic instructor and passed my test within about 6 weeks. It was good because all you have to learn really is the rules of the road and so on as the car is literally start stop. I would recommend it. Even my partner who is used to manuals always says he would always get an automatic because it just makes no sense to get a manual.

I have my last lesson before my test on half an hour. This time tomorrow I’ll be at the test centre 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I have my last lesson before my test on half an hour. This time tomorrow I’ll be at the test centre 😬
Ooh exciting. Good luck!!

Before lockdown I really liked my instructor but since we’ve came back he’s got comfortable around me and a bit cocky. I like the general chit chat but he’s trying to laugh and carry on like my friend and takes away my attention too much. Next week I think I’m going to say I need to focus and crack on because I want to pass and not joyride for the fun of it.

Reactions: 2
Ooh exciting. Good luck!!

Before lockdown I really liked my instructor but since we’ve came back he’s got comfortable around me and a bit cocky. I like the general chit chat but he’s trying to laugh and carry on like my friend and takes away my attention too much. Next week I think I’m going to say I need to focus and crack on because I want to pass and not joyride for the fun of it.
My previous instructor was like that- felt like I was paying to give him a tour of local country roads while he went on about how amazing he was!

How did everyone find their first lesson after lockdown? I'm in Scotland so mine restart this week but I'm so nervous.

Good luck!!

How did everyone find their first lesson after lockdown? I'm in Scotland so mine restart this week but I'm so nervous.
Mine wasn't great tbh, wasn't as bad as I was expecting but wasn't as good as it could have been. Ultimately I'm glad I did it

Mine was fine, run through the basics in your head first and you should pick it up no problem.

My previous instructor was like that- felt like I was paying to give him a tour of local country roads while he went on about how amazing he was!
He’s done it for almost 40 years so I trust him but don’t want to waste time either. I ask him what I need to work on and he doesn’t say anything 🤷🏼‍♀️ Putting my foot down a bit this week

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.