Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had one instructor in a manual car. He got on my nerves so I stopped going. We needed to travel down south so I decided I needed to pass my test quickly. I got an automatic instructor and passed my test within about 6 weeks. It was good because all you have to learn really is the rules of the road and so on as the car is literally start stop. I would recommend it. Even my partner who is used to manuals always says he would always get an automatic because it just makes no sense to get a manual.
I keep seeing cars ilike that happen to be automatic, but I can't get my head around them cos I've always driven manuals . I stall the car I have now fairly often , considering how long I've been driving for , but I blame the car cos I didn't have that problem in my previous cars .

Reactions: 1
So glad I found this thread! So I have been learning to drive in an automatic since May 2019. I have Cerebral Palsy so learning to drive has not been easy! My instructor wasn't very patient or understanding either so I'm not confident that I'm up to test standard (in Ireland).

We're in full lockdown at the moment, so I've cancelled my instructor and won't be continuing my lessons until I can afford my own car, (which should be by December time!). I applied for my full test last September but I have no idea when I will be invited to book my test.

My instructor really didn't give me much confidence in myself, constantly nit-picking my small mistakes and even being quite condescending. I'm quite intelligent but my legs just don't work as well as they should haha. He would tell me when to release the break, etc and never gave me the chance to independently make that decision for myself; despite me asking him multiple times. I'm looking forward to driving again and I really hope I can find a better instructor to suit my needs.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
My instructor really didn't give me much confidence in myself, constantly nit-picking my small mistakes and even being quite condescending. I'm quite intelligent but my legs just don't work as well as they should haha. He would tell me when to release the break, etc and never gave me the chance to independently make that decision for myself; despite me asking him multiple times. I'm looking forward to driving again and I really hope I can find a better instructor to suit my needs.
I had this issue with the two instructors I’ve had, they’d tell you to indicate/brake/use gears before I had a chance to make the decision myself! I felt like I just wasn’t learning anything, and I really noticed it when I bought my own car.

I’m in Ireland too, and it’s hard going without lessons atm!

I had this issue with the two instructors I’ve had, they’d tell you to indicate/brake/use gears before I had a chance to make the decision myself! I felt like I just wasn’t learning anything, and I really noticed it when I bought my own car.

I’m in Ireland too, and it’s hard going without lessons atm!
It's so frustrating! I'm hoping I can learn better and make my own decisions when I do buy my own car. Yeah, I'm hoping things open up soon. Have you done your full test?

My instructor yesterday told me to slow down on approach to roundabouts, but then said don’t start braking too early. So which one is it 🤣

She also said wear thinner shoes. Anyone else have ‘driving shoes’?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
My instructor yesterday told me to slow down on approach to roundabouts, but then said don’t start braking too early. So which one is it 🤣

How confusing! My instructor was like that too 😂 I don't have designated driving shoes but I often drive in a pair of vans or the memory foam trainers from Penneys (or primark if you're in the UK).

It's so frustrating! I'm hoping I can learn better and make my own decisions when I do buy my own car. Yeah, I'm hoping things open up soon. Have you done your full test?
I haven’t even applied yet! I probably should soon, seeing how long it could take!

I haven’t even applied yet! I probably should soon, seeing how long it could take!
I applied last September, haven't heard anything. Not too fussed because I'm not ready yet, I want to build up practice and confidence and do it in my own car. My partner drives a motorcycle and he booked his full test a month after I did and he got a test invite about 2 months ago!

I have driving shoes! Only because I like to feel the pedals and my other shoes are either heels or running shoes, so bigger profiles

Well done for passing!!

I usually throw on some Gazelles.
My next lesson is tomorrow and I’m gonna tell him to stop talking bollocks and let me focus on my driving or I’ll never pass 😂

Reactions: 2
I have driving shoes! Only because I like to feel the pedals and my other shoes are either heels or running shoes, so bigger profiles
I wore Vans yesterday and I couldn't feel them as well. On my previous lesson, I wore my gym trainers what are 'flatter' and I drove better than yesterday 🤣 So I think my gym trainers are going to be my lesson shoes!

I wore Vans yesterday and I couldn't feel them as well. On my previous lesson, I wore my gym trainers what are 'flatter' and I drove better than yesterday 🤣 So I think my gym trainers are going to be my lesson shoes!
Honestly anything to make you focus more on driving and less on things like pedal feel is ideal as a new driver

When I drive to running/hiking places I change my shoes when I arrive.. like my friends think it is odd but I don't care 😂😂

Well done for passing!!

I usually throw on some Gazelles.
My next lesson is tomorrow and I’m gonna tell him to stop talking bollocks and let me focus on my driving or I’ll never pass 😂
Gazelles are my driving shoes too!
Thank you everyone- I can hand on heart say that I never thought I would pass the test! I was even googling is it possible to pass a practical driving test! To me it seemed impossible!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Yes! Amazing! Please tell us everything!!
I was so nervous. I had my jaw clenched for the entire hour I spent with my instructor. I couldn’t speak to her at all- normally we chat nonstop.
When we got to the test centre I reversed into the spot- totally messed that up! Then we went to wait by the door. The first examiner to come out had failed me twice so I thought here we go again but luckily he called someone else’s name!
My examiner was really friendly and made me feel really calm. We did the eye test then he explained the test-I’m glad he did as that gave me time to focus and clam down in the car. He asked me my tell me question which I can’t remember and within five minutes my show me question (side window). Then the first time he asked me to pull over on the left we were two car lengths from a parked car and I was convinced it would be a parallel park! I was so relived when he asked me to pull away. My manoeuvre ending up being driving into a bay! It was really early on and after that I felt I could just relax because I’d got so worked up thinking it would be a parallel park. The rest went in a blur! When we got back to the test centre he said we’d wait for my instructor to come over. I thought it would be a fail and he wanted to discuss what I had to work on. My instructor didn’t see us so stood chatting away to other instructors! I thought this is a bit mean if I have failed and then he said “I’m pleased to inform you have passed”- then he talked through my minors (I got 4) but I was too giddy to pay attention!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I keep seeing cars ilike that happen to be automatic, but I can't get my head around them cos I've always driven manuals . I stall the car I have now fairly often , considering how long I've been driving for , but I blame the car cos I didn't have that problem in my previous cars .
I don’t think automatics stall so that might help! I couldn’t cope with the stress of stalling!

I don’t think automatics stall so that might help! I couldn’t cope with the stress of stalling!
I’ve been driving about 7 years and I still stall all the time, especially when I’m trying to park and someone is watching me 😂

I have had the worst experiences with instructors both men and women.It’s put me off would love my licence but don’t have anyone who would allow me to drive with them away from lessons for hours on end so have currently stopped all together.Attached some of the many back and forth between me and my so called instructors.I have tried an intensive course but was told on the last day I wasn’t ready for the day a complete waste of 20hrs and my entire week and over £600.Not sure what way to turn to after all this.Maybe automatic??Any advice welcome

Attachments

I’ve been driving about 7 years and I still stall all the time, especially when I’m trying to park and someone is watching me 😂
I've been driving for years too, I've been fine with my old cars, it's just this particular one. I've had it a while and it's not getting any better.

I have had the worst experiences with instructors both men and women.It’s put me off would love my licence but don’t have anyone who would allow me to drive with them away from lessons for hours on end so have currently stopped all together.Attached some of the many back and forth between me and my so called instructors.I have tried an intensive course but was told on the last day I wasn’t ready for the day a complete waste of 20hrs and my entire week and over £600.Not sure what way to turn to after all this.Maybe automatic??Any advice welcome
Change your instructor again if you aren't happy , you have employed them to provide a service for you. Also, changing lesson times all the time isn't fair , that's an inconvenience .
Re intensive course , personally in learning new skills ( generally, not just driving) , it takes time for it to 'click' and this isn't always related to the amount of practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Definitely change instructor. Changing lesson times like that is not right.

I have commented before about automatic being great and the future with electric cars etc. However if you have already done a fair few lessons and were booking tests in a manual I don't think you need to switch to auto. You just need a more reliable instructor

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.