Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Of course "once you've learnt" how to use gears, they're easy, like most things... but you know what's easier? Not having to learn them in the first place. ;)

Anyone who's learning - do you do anything outside your lessons? Obviously driving another car is helpful but honestly, watch YouTube videos of others lessons. Bonus if they're local to you. Hands down the best thing I did when learning tbh.
To be fair, I didn’t find it difficult learning how to use gears, that was my point, gears are the easy bit. ;) if anything the thing I would say most people struggle with in a manual is the clutch and the bite point. I have a work colleague who had a few lessons and could not get the car to move because she couldn’t handle the clutch, she’s got a motorbike now instead.
I really struggled with learning to drive, not because of the gears or clutch, it was more just that I’m a nervous person and I have a terrible sense of position and judgment!🤣
I didn’t have anyone else to help me either, I had my one lesson a week and that was that, which probably didn’t help.

To be fair, I didn’t find it difficult learning how to use gears, that was my point, gears are the easy bit. ;) if anything the thing I would say most people struggle with in a manual is the clutch and the bite point. I have a work colleague who had a few lessons and could not get the car to move because she couldn’t handle the clutch, she’s got a motorbike now instead.
I really struggled with learning to drive, not because of the gears or clutch, it was more just that I’m a nervous person and I have a terrible sense of position and judgment!🤣
I didn’t have anyone else to help me either, I had my one lesson a week and that was that, which probably didn’t help.
Yeah definitely, it’s more so clutch control and trying not to conk the car for me! The gears you get used to but I did need to practice matching them to the speed especially when going down in gears around a bend etc.

Reactions: 1
Gears and clutch are one in one though. I didn't realise you guys were specifically talking about confusion relating to gears vs. speed etc. Change my original comment from "gears" to "manual" lol. Either way, an automatic *is* easier. There's absolutely no denying that. I have zero intention of ever driving one and I personally think you forgo an element of control for the sake of ease, but it is still easier, especially for new drivers. I do think it makes a lot more sense to learn in a manual and then drive an auto knowing you can do both but a lot of people simply wouldn't drive if that were their only option.

I had 0 lessons which is why I highly recommend YouTube videos, basically free driving lessons. Watch the YouTube, practice it under your own supervision, repeat. It's comforting watching other learners get flustered by the same things you are too. I sat in on 2 of my partner's lessons and I think the instructor was a bit full-on. All my friends telling me stories of the instructor grabbing the wheel or preventing them from stalling by dipping the clutch, or the worst - instructors encouraging people to move off using only the clutch?! 2 people I know still stall a year after passing because they think you don't need to put revs in. :eek: I didn't progress to roads until I felt comfortable (started in an empty Tesco car park and thought I'd crash going 5mph LOL) but I think knowing I only had myself to rely on, not dual controls, made me learn quicker tbh.

Gears and clutch are one in one though. I didn't realise you guys were specifically talking about confusion relating to gears vs. speed etc. Change my original comment from "gears" to "manual" lol. Either way, an automatic *is* easier. There's absolutely no denying that. I have zero intention of ever driving one and I personally think you forgo an element of control for the sake of ease, but it is still easier, especially for new drivers. I do think it makes a lot more sense to learn in a manual and then drive an auto knowing you can do both but a lot of people simply wouldn't drive if that were their only option.

I had 0 lessons which is why I highly recommend YouTube videos, basically free driving lessons. Watch the YouTube, practice it under your own supervision, repeat. It's comforting watching other learners get flustered by the same things you are too. I sat in on 2 of my partner's lessons and I think the instructor was a bit full-on. All my friends telling me stories of the instructor grabbing the wheel or preventing them from stalling by dipping the clutch, or the worst - instructors encouraging people to move off using only the clutch?! 2 people I know still stall a year after passing because they think you don't need to put revs in. :eek: I didn't progress to roads until I felt comfortable (started in an empty Tesco car park and thought I'd crash going 5mph LOL) but I think knowing I only had myself to rely on, not dual controls, made me learn quicker tbh.
Honestly I remember being terrified driving at 5 miles an hour, seeing pedestrians 200m away thinking I was going to kill them!

• Heart

Yes and no, you use gears and clutch together, but one is a stick you move into position, the other is about finding the bite point and learning how much to rev ect. Yes automatic is definitely easier (although I’ve never tried it), but manual isn’t too hard either. I agree with what you’ve said, I always tell people it’s better to just grin and bear it and get your test passed in a manual, because that way you have options when you’ve passed and you can choose automatic if you want to. Whereas if you choose automatic then you’re stuck with that unless you go and do more lessons and another test.

there wasn’t anyone I knew that had a car I could practice in and I couldn’t afford a car when I was learning, so sadly I had to have the lessons. I had two driving instructors and neither of them ever stepped in (maybe I didn’t need them to?), I am also a really untrusting person so I never ever relied on the dual controls! 😂 as I say, the only thing I found hard in the beginning was positioning in the road and just general nerves because of other drivers ect. Considering I have dyspraxia, I found the actual basis fairly easy.

My first driving lesson after lockdown 2 is in 30 minutes. I’ve been avoiding driving my own car for weeks. I just don’t think I can do it. I have to drive the test route to get to work each day and even travelling along the road with someone else driving I have heart palpitations and shortness of breath.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
My first driving lesson after lockdown 2 is in 30 minutes. I’ve been avoiding driving my own car for weeks. I just don’t think I can do it. I have to drive the test route to get to work each day and even travelling along the road with someone else driving I have heart palpitations and shortness of breath.
Good luck @Belulah hope it all goes okay today

I’m back! Lesson went well- few mistakes but nothing terrible. Feel so much better for talking to my instructor!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Good luck @Belulah you can do it.

If it makes you feel less alone, I haven’t driven AT ALL since failing my test in October and I have another one booked next month.

It is frustrating how we can go from test ready to scared of getting in the car so quickly. But we’re not starting from square one each time ❤

• Heart
Hi everyone!

I’m trying to find a new instructor for when restrictions ease off in April. I’ve also been thinking of learning automatic - 1) because I want to pass ASAP and save money with lessons 2) honestly, gears & clutch are what make me anxious. I know people say learn manual then you have the best of both but I’m just not bothered. I’d be happy buying/leasing automatic cars. It would make me a more confident driver as I’m able to focus on what’s going on around me I think.

Has anyone learnt just automatic?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I am so glad I have found this thread, and I’ll be spending the next few days catching up, driving is a sore subject for me. It feels like a stigma to be an older learner or to not drive, certainly where I live with poor public transport.

I learnt when I was 17 with a difficult instructor, who unfortunately had a lot of personal issues and then a mental breakdown. I was given another instructor who didn’t know the local routes, I didn’t feel confident enough but was off to uni 150 miles away and my parents wanted the test under my belt for the future. I failed miserably, I’d never been so nervous in my 18 years of life! I hit the kerb whilst driving on a straight road, I swore non-stop and the examiner told me if I didn’t get in control he would have to take over 🥺

I picked up lessons at Uni and it felt easier on new roads, there weren’t relics of bad lessons haunting me. I passed and that was 17 years ago, I havent driven since.

Ive spent 17 years with people saying “Oh you get the bus? Why don’t you drive? It’d be easier if you drove there!”. When it comes down to it, I just didn’t want to drive. Nothing would change my mind. I never even entertained it!

The past year has been hard and there have been so many times I’ve just wanted to get in a car and see someone. I’ve felt isolated as a result of not having a car. It’s now got to the point where I WANT to drive! I’ve got refresher classes booked post-lockdown to build my confidence and familiarise myself with the rules of the road and I’m actually excited to do it!

The first hurdle is getting back in to the drivers seat. For me, the biggest hurdle is wanting to drive and I feel I’m already half way there mentally! I’ll be getting an automatic. I’m not bothered about gear changes, it’s the biting point and stalling it that gives me anxiety. So many people around me have said it’s more enjoyable in an automatic. I passed in a manual but probably won’t ever drive one.

Good luck to all learners, those that have been ridiculed, mocked, embarrassed. I’m rooting for you 🍀

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hi everyone!

I’m trying to find a new instructor for when restrictions ease off in April. I’ve also been thinking of learning automatic - 1) because I want to pass ASAP and save money with lessons 2) honestly, gears & clutch are what make me anxious. I know people say learn manual then you have the best of both but I’m just not bothered. I’d be happy buying/leasing automatic cars. It would make me a more confident driver as I’m able to focus on what’s going on around me I think.

I always used to say no - persevere with a manual but to be honest I think most new cars in the near future will be Electric and eventually they will probably all be automatic anyway? So if you think it would be easier then maybe that’s the option for you. I will say though as someone who failed their test multiple times and really struggled with gears and biting point... that has never been something I’ve found difficult since passing my test and driving around. The gears are now the easy bit for me! It does eventually just click and become second nature, but I know how hard it is at the time when you’re just desperate to pass!

I’m intending to book some automatic lessons once restrictions lift.

My fear is much more about being on the road and my own concentration rather than clutch/gears/operating the car itself but I feel like simplifying the process will help me focus.

I resisted trying automatic for ages but I’m so tired of the stop start of lessons and tests and anxiety over the last few years and want to do what I can to get going.

You know yourself and your driving and your own priorities! It is so nice to read experiences of other people who understand these anxieties. We will all get there one way or another. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 2
Hi everyone!

Yep I’ve done just automatic no regrets! Got it done within a couple of months and saved a lot of money. I can get quite bad anxiety and not having to change gear was just one less thing to think about. If it makes you feel better go for it!

a lot of people told me to do manual and when I asked them what they drove guess what? Automatic 🥴 and they would never go back to manual lol

Yep I’ve done just automatic no regrets! Got it done within a couple of months and saved a lot of money. I can get quite bad anxiety and not having to change gear was just one less thing to think about. If it makes you feel better go for it!

a lot of people told me to do manual and when I asked them what they drove guess what? Automatic 🥴 and they would never go back to manual lol
I was just talking to a friend and she said ‘learn manual’ but it’s easy for them to say that when they’ve been driving 10+ years. I just want to drive!!!! 🤣

Everyone talked me into having to learn manual so
I bought a manual car. But I just don’t get very far with learning. I wish I’d just bought an automatic and ignored everyone.

Everyone talked me into having to learn manual so
I bought a manual car. But I just don’t get very far with learning. I wish I’d just bought an automatic and ignored everyone.

I’m learning automatic at the moment (last lesson was before Xmas) and have my test booked for May at 39 weeks pregnant🙈😂 I’m so nervous for the test but I think it’s the pressure of trying to do it before baby arrives and knowing if I fail I could be looking at a good few months wait to resit!! I’m 35 and this is my 3rd attempt at learning to drive since turning 17 and I wish I had tried automatic years ago! It’s made driving so much easier and enjoyable for me, I’ve bought a little auto car for myself and have no anxieties about just jumping in and driving whenever we go out where as before I was a nervous wreck! My husband now drives auto and has said he will never go back to manual now! Honestly couldn’t recommend it enough!

• Heart
Trying to set up lessons for my 17 year old at the moment (18 later this year) all have waiting lists for newbies of 5 months or so 😭 one told me tests in our area are so backed up it could take 12 months to get back up to speed and there’s even current waiting lists of theory tests of 3 months.. I feel so sorry for anyone wanting to learn but who can’t due to the current situation especially those who are isolated and live in villages (like us) with poor transport links 😔

• Sad
  • Wow
I’ve emailed 2 automatic driving schools, hope I get a response. My theory is booked for June. If I could pass my test by the end of the year I’ll be so pleased.

I think another reason I want to learn automatic is the waiting lists for lessons because of Covid. The quicker I can learn, the quicker I can pass.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.