Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry to hear that Bellulah! At least it’s extra practice on that particular area.
my son is waiting for a cancellation to come up, he sat his test first time 24th september and didn’t pass. He was devastated and I feel for him, especially as one by one his friends are passing first time 🤦🏻‍♀️.
To be fair, I started learning at 17, took about 11 lessons with about 4 different instructors lol. I didn’t like any of them. I didn’t start back up again til I was 29 (I’m 42 now) I chose a lady instructor and she was bloody amazing! Things felt different that time, before when I was younger I was just concentrating around the car and in the car but seeing as I had got used to the car back then I started to focus more ahead of me this time. Anyhoo I had a 10 hour block booking, I didn’t even look forward to my lessons! Even though I liked my instructor! (Go figure lol) but I used to dread them 🤔 I took my first test and beforehand I went over board, looking up all the roundabouts I could go on, the test routes, potential questions he could ask me... I was making myself a nervous wreck! Although my instructor was so confident I’d pass she went shopping on during my test 🤣 i didn’t get any minors but I got a big fat dangerous on the way back - a route we did the day before. Approaching a roundabout; left hand lane was to go immediate left and right hand side lane to go straight ahead or right. He asked me to go straight ahead, even repeated his instructions. I didn’t clock and stayed in the left hand lane and he had to put on the brakes cos a car thought I was going left 🙋🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️
I got back to the test centre and bawled my frigging eyes out! I was so torn up for my stupidity! BUT it taught me valuable lessons and i re sat my test 2 weeks later and passed. Phew.
Wow I ain’t half babbled, but just wanted to let those who are struggling or not yet taken their test or who have and it’s taking longer to pass - it’s ok if you don’t get it first time! Some of the best drivers I know took a couple of gos to pass. As long as you don’t give up, you will get there. You deserve it! X

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I failed :( didn’t stop fully at a give way. Such a stupid mistake.
Sorry to hear you didn’t pass. Well done to you for getting through it. I failed mine today too. So disappointed.

I made a whole load of mistakes but to me it felt better than my previous test as I felt more in control and calmer. Prob going to be ages before I can do another test though.

I know I need to practice more in my own car instead of just lessons as I really struggle with trusting my own judgement without my instructor there. My partner and I both hate doing it though!

Also thinking maybe I should consider automatic but that would mean having to get a new car not to mention a new instructor.

ARGH this is tough!

Reactions: 3
Sorry to hear you didn’t pass. Well done to you for getting through it. I failed mine today too. So disappointed.

I made a whole load of mistakes but to me it felt better than my previous test as I felt more in control and calmer. Prob going to be ages before I can do another test though.

I know I need to practice more in my own car instead of just lessons as I really struggle with trusting my own judgement without my instructor there. My partner and I both hate doing it though!

Also thinking maybe I should consider automatic but that would mean having to get a new car not to mention a new instructor.

ARGH this is tough!
I’m sorry to hear that! Bite the bullet and just start some small journeys in your car. The more practice the better xxx

Thanks everyone. Just feel a bit stupid and a bit annoyed.
don’t worry about it, we’re always so hard on ourselves. Get back on that booking page and get booking another one. Don’t let it get you down xxx

I failed :( didn’t stop fully at a give way. Such a stupid mistake.
Honestly you will get there! We all make silly mistakes when we’re nervous! Ill tell you some of dumb things I did in tests that I never did in lessons and have never done since... such as -

instead of going right around the mini-roundabout just turning right and driving the wrong way.

mounting a central reservation

Stopping at a GREEN light for ages

being too scared to go over 40mph on a dual carriageway and crying when he said I need to speed up

reversing into a bin

stalling 6 times in a row

I hope this has made you feel better about your small mistake! I was bloody awful and even resigned myself to never passing but you will get there eventually. I love driving now and have been told I’m a very good driver! Keep going :)

• Heart
Hi, hope everyone is well! I’m still looking my wounds after the fail. I haven’t driven since when normally I drive to work everyday and have my lesson on a Saturday. I just don’t see the point right now. :(

Reactions: 1
Hi, hope everyone is well! I’m still looking my wounds after the fail. I haven’t driven since when normally I drive to work everyday and have my lesson on a Saturday. I just don’t see the point right now. :(
I know you must feel crap right now and deflated! But that’s the worst thing you can do. Don’t do what I did and keep putting it off, because it gets worse. Just dust yourself off bevAuse I think you did amazingly well! To even get in the car and go ahead with the exam is amazing. You should be so so proud. You will get there, Iv been where you are and I know it feels like a never ending tunnel, but keep going, don’t give up. You are nearly there. Xxx

Im grateful to have read this thread!
I have zero issues driving, but my daughter took 40 lessons and 5 fails to pass.
2 years on, shes doing great and is confident in herself
Keep going everyone!

• Heart
I feel for you. I have felt quite down about my fail and frustrated by that because I thought I would be able to just dust myself off this time and carry on. Has really dented my confidence.

I think part of it is the adrenaline come down, I was so so focused on the test and psyching myself up for it and now it’s just .... next test isn’t til jan and there’s no point having lessons at the min so my routine is all out of whack.

Be gentle with yourself and start small when you fee ready x

I’ve not had a lesson for 2 weeks, been really busy with my work where I’ve had to work at weekends too 😖 Hoping to get back into it next week. Don’t worry @Belulah, you will do it next time! Just think to yourself that you’ve done it once before so you can do it again! X

Thanks everyone. Just feel a bit stupid and a bit annoyed.
Honestly don’t sweat it. I failed my first test - the whole thing was an absolute disaster from start to finish, the examiner was horrible, he shouted at me and I started crying and then because I was so flustered I went through a red light and that was a fail but he kept the test going and just made me more & more upset - by the time we got to the test centre I was a mess. It was awful!!!!!!!!! Anyway, I re-booked the test for a few weeks later and I passed that time. I think the second time round I just didn’t put any pressure on myself; I knew what to expect so I just drove the car, did what I was asked - it wasn’t perfect, I stalled twice at 2 different round a bouts and I was speeding a few times!!!!!!! But I passed!!!!!

just try not to put loads of pressure on yourself. Just view it as an extended lesson and if you pass then that’s awesome but if you don’t, well it’s just more experience for the next time.

Reactions: 2
So sorry to hear this!!!

but how amazing you’ve got to the point where you are ready to take tests!! That alone is such a massive achievement!!
Sending all the luck/ love/ good vibes and what not!
Fingers crossed for you, and keep positive 💪🏻

Im grateful to have read this thread!
I have zero issues driving, but my daughter took 40 lessons and 5 fails to pass.
2 years on, shes doing great and is confident in herself
Keep going everyone!
I’m the same took me 6 attempts to pass. I had 3 tests in the space of a year then gave up for 8 months, then did a crash course and took another 3 in the space of 3 months and passed the day before my theory expired. I’m a perfectly fine driver and actually really enjoy it but the test environment and build up to it gave me awful anxiety and made me make stupid mistakes. Unfortunately all you can do in that situation is just keep going and not give up.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’m the same took me 6 attempts to pass. I had 3 tests in the space of a year then gave up for 8 months, then did a crash course and took another 3 in the space of 3 months and passed the day before my theory expired. I’m a perfectly fine driver and actually really enjoy it but the test environment and build up to it gave me awful anxiety and made me make stupid mistakes. Unfortunately all you can do in that situation is just keep going and not give up.
Yes, 100%
The test itself, I suspect, causes so much anxiety in an otherwise confident driver. Well done 👏 🙌

How are we all doing with our learning? I have my first lesson in 3 weeks today - really anxious that I’m going to forget everything I’ve learnt. I have my theory test next Friday as well. Hope everyone is ok x

Hello everyone 👋

Glad I’ve found this thread. I’ve failed my test 3 times :confused: the last one was four years ago and I haven’t taken a single lesson since.

I am 35 and felt like I’d never become a driver, but reading this thread has motivated me to think about booking in some lessons again. I may take the advice some of you have given and learn in an automatic. I think not having to think about the clutch and gears, will make it far easier for me.

Has anyone ever done a week intensive learning course with the test at the end of it? If so, how did you find it. As a lot of people have also mentioned, I get super anxious before a lesson, and don’t think I can deal with going through that, every single week for months and months.

x

• Heart
How are we all doing with our learning? I have my first lesson in 3 weeks today - really anxious that I’m going to forget everything I’ve learnt. I have my theory test next Friday as well. Hope everyone is ok x
Good luck with your theory! Let us know how you get on! I had my first lesson today since I failed and I drove to pick up my daughters birthday cake and drove to her birthday day out. I only wish I could’ve done it without having to drag my poor mum with me!

Glad I found this thread, and the comments have been very useful!

I’m 28 and have never had the desire to drive (quite frankly cars terrify me)

but unfortunately I’m currently in a position where basically I need to learn, my son requires a lot of appointments for health issues.

My mum took me to a car park to have a go - it was my first time behind the wheel and I was so anxious. I slammed the breaks every time the car moved about 10cm 😩🤣

has anyone ever been absolutely terrified yet managed to get there in the end???

I just hate the thought of being in control of a car, and even though I’ve only tried this one time I’m convinced I will never be able to do it 😩
Yep! I did my driving lessons 3 years ago, aged 25. I cried during every single one. My driving instructor was amazing though and very patient. Where I live (Canada), most drive automatic and you only have five 1 hour lessons (you can get more but they're v expensive). I did my five and then went out driving with my husband..well, you can imagine how that went. I was terrified of driving, I am not sure exactly why but my anxiety would be through the roof. But we got a puppy and I had to drive in case he ever needed to go the vet and my husband was at work...i am originally from UK and had no reason to drive before. It took a year but I finally sat my test and I passed first time. I would go out with my husband before and we would set up cones so I could parallel park, as well as driving mostly in industrial areas on the weekend when they are quiet. We get a lot of snow here, so that was something else I had to learn, how to drive safely in it. Now, I am at the point where I love driving. I will go for a drive to relax, lol. I never thought I would see that day. I still get a bit wobbly if I have to drive somewhere new but more about parking than anything else. I still have moments where I make a mistake, previously I would have burst into tears but now I just learn from it.

Reactions: 5
Well that's my test cancelled! I hope you lot aren't too affected!
I’m so sorry to hear that. My lessons have been cancelled, nowhere near as bad as losing a test.
please let them extend theory certs this time!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.