Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m so sorry to hear that. My lessons have been cancelled, nowhere near as bad as losing a test.
please let them extend theory certs this time!
I really hope they extend the theories - but I only re-passed mine in Sept so that wouldn't massively affect me.
Thank you! It's just one of those things though, unfortunate but I can't do anything about it, so no point stressing about it!

Reactions: 1
Hi hoping someone sees this before tomorrow 🤣 I have my 2nd driving test lol tomorrow, I failed the first for a reverse parallel park but the curb was flat so kinda wasn’t fair but whatever, anyway I’m quite a nervous driver, I don’t have much confidence in myself and so I’m worried nerves will get the better of me and I’ll make some stupid mistake, I just wanna pass and have something to be proud of, does anyone have any tips for tomorrow? How to stay calm? And no let myself get too nervous

Reactions: 2
Hi hoping someone sees this before tomorrow 🤣 I have my 2nd driving test lol tomorrow, I failed the first for a reverse parallel park but the curb was flat so kinda wasn’t fair but whatever, anyway I’m quite a nervous driver, I don’t have much confidence in myself and so I’m worried nerves will get the better of me and I’ll make some stupid mistake, I just wanna pass and have something to be proud of, does anyone have any tips for tomorrow? How to stay calm? And no let myself get too nervous
try not to think of it as a test. Just view it as another lesson - you’ve done it once so you know the drill. You can do it, just drive. You will be fine!!!!

• Heart
I unfortunately failed :( literally the last 30 seconds when I had to do a reverse bay park, I felt my instructor was abit mean towards things though and seemed to put a massive downer on everything.
Aw sorry to hear that. Have you booked another one?

I can’t because the uk will be in lockdown from Thursday, so there is no test slots now
That's a real shame you can't book a other test date right away. Please don't let it put you off. As soon as you can get a test date, book it 👍👍👍

Hopefully it won't be too long 😀😀😀

I’m learning and I love it. I get so excited for my lessons so I’m gutted that they are on hold.

My instructor wants me passed ASAP into the new year but there’s no test slots until February and March in my area due to the backlog from lockdowns.

I'm starting to learn early next year. I'm planning on buying a small little car first as I want to learn in my own car. I've also decided to learn in an automatic. I'm not here for a discussion for what's better as I'm early thirties and I would rather take the slightly easier route - thankfully I've a friend whose agreed it's what's best 🤣 I'm just annoyed and embarrassed that I can't drive yet, but I lived in London for years and never had the need too 9my excuse anyway).

Now where I live it's hard to get a job without a car and the mobility needed. I start a new job soon and being mobile is going to be a huge requirement.

Long story short, what cars did most people learn to drive in?

I'm starting to learn early next year. I'm planning on buying a small little car first as I want to learn in my own car. I've also decided to learn in an automatic. I'm not here for a discussion for what's better as I'm early thirties and I would rather take the slightly easier route - thankfully I've a friend whose agreed it's what's best 🤣 I'm just annoyed and embarrassed that I can't drive yet, but I lived in London for years and never had the need too 9my excuse anyway).

Now where I live it's hard to get a job without a car and the mobility needed. I start a new job soon and being mobile is going to be a huge requirement.

learnt in & now drive a manual.

Can I ask - you said it’s an easier option to learn in an automatic,but it doesn’t sound like you’ve ever had any experience in driving yet, you might be surprised that actually a manual
Car really isn’t hard to learn in. I think a lot of people put a huge emphasis on changing gears as being some sort of barrier to learning to drive but actually once you’ve learnt how to do it, you can do it. I think the more difficult aspect of learning to drive is getting everything else right - trusting your judgment, being aware of what’s going on, speed, manoeuvres etc

I’m not saying you are wrong or whatever I’m just interested as to why lots of people see a manual car as hard to learn in.

My theory has been cancelled and my lessons have been cancelled too.
I’m going to change instructors though - not told anyone this but he’s made a few sexual comments which I brushed aside but it was affecting my learning. He was asking if I was single, said I was attractive (how can he tell when I’m wearing a mask) and I once said ‘what are we going to do today’ and he went ‘there’s lots of things I’d like to do with you’ 🤨. Decided to look for a female instructor and resume in the new year. So annoying!

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 7

Can I ask - you said it’s an easier option to learn in an automatic,but it doesn’t sound like you’ve ever had any experience in driving yet, you might be surprised that actually a manual
Car really isn’t hard to learn in. I think a lot of people put a huge emphasis on changing gears as being some sort of barrier to learning to drive but actually once you’ve learnt how to do it, you can do it. I think the more difficult aspect of learning to drive is getting everything else right - trusting your judgment, being aware of what’s going on, speed, manoeuvres etc

I’m not saying you are wrong or whatever I’m just interested as to why lots of people see a manual car as hard to learn in.
Ive had plenty of conversations with friends and family and have actually tried driving before albeit a long time ago. It’s just a personal choice for me!

My theory has been cancelled and my lessons have been cancelled too.
I’m going to change instructors though - not told anyone this but he’s made a few sexual comments which I brushed aside but it was affecting my learning. He was asking if I was single, said I was attractive (how can he tell when I’m wearing a mask) and I once said ‘what are we going to do today’ and he went ‘there’s lots of things I’d like to do with you’ 🤨. Decided to look for a female instructor and resume in the new year. So annoying!
please report this scum bag to the people he works for (if he’s not self employed) and the police.

Reactions: 5

I did 12 hours in a manual when I was 19 and then left it for 9 years! Passed at 29 in an automatic.

Best decision I ever made was switching to auto. They are the future as Belulah says. And your left leg gets a rest 🤣

Means you can concentrate on manoeuvres and driving technique without having to master gear changes first 👍🏻

• Heart

Totally agree with this. I’ve only ever driven a manual, I was terrified of driving at first and I wanted to learn in an automatic, but I’m so glad I was pushed to learn in a manual because I don’t regret a thing.

I also agree that the gears and gear changes aren’t the hard part, once you’ve learnt those, which doesn’t take long, the bit you really have to learn that is trickier is managing the steering, position in the road, being aware of speed and other road users ect.

My friend learnt to drive in an automatic, I had 45 hours lessons, she had 40, we both passed second time. She hates driving, always has and when I’m in her car sometimes, she flies around corners so fast that she ends up on the wrong side of the road. I think it’s because she doesn’t have gears to slow her down and because she’s never learnt to manage her speed. She even says now, it doesn’t matter whether it’s auto or manual, she isn’t suited to driving at all.

Fair enough but it's my choice at the end of the day and after conversations I've had I'd prefer to learn automatic 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 6
Of course "once you've learnt" how to use gears, they're easy, like most things... but you know what's easier? Not having to learn them in the first place. ;)

Anyone who's learning - do you do anything outside your lessons? Obviously driving another car is helpful but honestly, watch YouTube videos of others lessons. Bonus if they're local to you. Hands down the best thing I did when learning tbh.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.