Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I keep going between manual and automatic (i’ve had lots of manual lessons years ago) because I know there are people who judge others that have learnt in an automatic car but honestly I’ll be happier when I can just drive and if I can do it quicker in an automatic then I’m fine with that

Reactions: 2
I keep going between manual and automatic (i’ve had lots of manual lessons years ago) because I know there are people who judge others that have learnt in an automatic car but honestly I’ll be happier when I can just drive and if I can do it quicker in an automatic then I’m fine with that
I passed in a manual and my first car will definitely be automatic. There are so many narrow roads and side streets in England, I'd rather not stall every 2 minutes and possibly cause a crash and have much less anxiety on the roads. Manuals will be phased out soon anyway, dont feel ashamed to pass in an automatic.

I learnt in an auto. Best decision I ever made.

Electric cars are always auto so they are the future.

My husband had been driving for 15 years and got an auto and has never looked back.

It makes driving a lot less stressful in my opinion and I certainly enjoy driving more than when I tried a manual.

No one has judged me for passing in an auto. When I'm discussing cars at work etc people might suggest some smaller cars and I have to say they don't make that in an auto so it isn't an option and they then remember I can't drive manual.

At the end of the day I think you get far more stick for not driving than you do for "only" driving an auto

Reactions: 6
I passed in a manual and my first car will definitely be automatic. There are so many narrow roads and side streets in England, I'd rather not stall every 2 minutes and possibly cause a crash and have much less anxiety on the roads. Manuals will be phased out soon anyway, dont feel ashamed to pass in an automatic.
I think me worrying about being judged for learning to drive in an automatic proves that I overthink things, so I’m probably better off learning in an automatic and taking the worry of using the gears away from driving 🤣🤣

Reactions: 4
I learnt in a manual, I had a manual car for my first year of driving but it made me so anxious always worried about stalling, rolling back on hills etc. I switched to an automatic (5 years ago now) and I have absolutely no desire to go back to a manual! It's taken so much stress out.

Since getting my auto car I've also found out just how many people have them, it's way more common than I ever realised. It's a weird thing to have a bit of stigma about, I literally couldn't give a tit if I changed the gears or if my car does it itself 🤷‍♀️ it seems to be more of a man thing and them wanting to feel like they are "in control of the car" but I've never felt like I didn't have control over my auto??!

I posted early in the thread that i took loads of lessons in a manual and then freaked the night before my test. My instructor suggested using the automatic - I passed 3 months later at my second attempt.

And yes, I did get a couple of sarky comments from people who passed years ago and who probably wouldn't pass the test these days.

But!!! What do I care! I get in my fiesta and off I go. Its really made a difference to my life and my mum's. I'd be lost with my wee car.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I have my test booked for April- the very last date I can do before my theory runs out! 4th time lucky I hope!
@under the ivy Auto is the way to go!

• Heart
My friend passed in an automatic, my stepdad is a car salesmen and can’t understand why I’ve always had manuals... I’ve now seen the error of my ways and the next car I buy is going to be an automatic, absolutely no shame in it at all and a lot more common now than you think!

Hiya! So I learnt manual when I was 17 had driving lessons on and off and didn’t pass I think 3 tests (I also went to uni, moved away etc so stopped learning) anyway I passed first time on automatic, bought myself an automatic car when I was 25 and honestly learning auto was the best decision I made. Wish I learnt automatic when I was 17 I would have passed first time I reckon! I’m a bit of an anxious driver I think because I passed late I don’t like driving far or hills, I think if I did it at 17 I would have been driving up and down the country🤣

Reactions: 3
I’m so glad this thread exists! I’ve been having lessons on and off with a manual and really hate it. I’ve done about 25 hours now and know that it takes time, but really just want to pass in an auto. I absolutely hate the weird comments that people make about automatics, I’m so stressed when I’m in a lesson and can’t focus on anything but the gears.

Please don’t anyone worry about what anyone thinks about automatics. I used to be the same, I thought they were for people who couldn’t drive properly because that’s what I’d grown up listening to my dad saying, well he ended up getting an automatic! My husband made me test drive one against my will 😄 and I was sold, I’d never go back now. No one is thinking about what you drive but if it helps at all a lot of high end cars don’t even offer the option of manual and I do think manual will be a thing of the past in the next decade or so because of the gradual change to electric cars. Driving an automatic is a dream! ☺

Hi everyone! I’ve been following this thread for a while, hope everyone is well!

I’ve been learning to drive for about 18 months now and to be honest, I don’t think I’m getting any better!

I still get panicked going out onto the road when it is busy - I feel I drive with confidence when the roads are empty (I’ve mainly been heading out for practice early morning or late nights).

Does anyone have any tips to overcome anxiety? I know I really have to go out more at busier times, has anyone tried Rescue Remedy or similar?

Hi everyone! I’ve been following this thread for a while, hope everyone is well!

I’ve been learning to drive for about 18 months now and to be honest, I don’t think I’m getting any better!

I still get panicked going out onto the road when it is busy - I feel I drive with confidence when the roads are empty (I’ve mainly been heading out for practice early morning or late nights).

Does anyone have any tips to overcome anxiety? I know I really have to go out more at busier times, has anyone tried Rescue Remedy or similar?
I had rescue remedy before my lessons and sometimes if I know I have a big drive ahead. I’m quite an anxious person anyway and I found that it helped, even if it was a placebo.

honestly the biggest difference for me was my instructor, I felt very safe with her and she talked the whole lesson and had the radio on so it waspretty relaxing!

When I had my test the guy who did it was super relaxed which really helped, we joke that we had the easiest test ever lol

I had rescue remedy before my lessons and sometimes if I know I have a big drive ahead. I’m quite an anxious person anyway and I found that it helped, even if it was a placebo.

honestly the biggest difference for me was my instructor, I felt very safe with her and she talked the whole lesson and had the radio on so it waspretty relaxing!

When I had my test the guy who did it was super relaxed which really helped, we joke that we had the easiest test ever lol

I’d be an anxious person as well. What helps if I have a route planned in my head, it doesn’t feel as bad! I might try Rescue Remedy.

I haven’t had any lessons in about 8 months unfortunately, between not being able to book any and being cancelled, but I am on the lookout for a new instructor.

The hypnosis app by Paul mckenna and the rescue remedy pastilles help me. Also eating a banana beforehand. Probably all placebo but it is my little routine

Don’t be hard on yourself, learning to drive can be a nerve-racking experience. Take as long as it needs and hopefully your driving instructor is supportive and understanding.

I put off learning to drive for a while as I lost my father in a car accident in my teens and it terrified me, I am also quite a highly anxious person. The thought of getting behind a wheel was a big NO.

It got to the point where I did not want to let this define me and I started driving lessons with a very supportive and highly recommended instructor. We took things at my pace and it took me over 2 years of lessons to feel confident enough to do my practical and I passed first time.

I did feel down a few times as it was taking me a long time and I was not getting anywhere. The hours I put into it help me overcome my fear and also learn to be a safe and conscientious driver.

Sorry for the long post. Rescue Remedy as other posters have mentioned is good. Wishing you all the best.

• Heart
I have three lessons next week before my test and my sister has taken me out twice. Still don’t even feel in the ball park of prepared.

If I don’t pass this time my theory expires- should I sell my car and give up or hope I can renew my theory at some point?

Something thats helped me start to overcome my nerves is I’ve actually wanted to drive, I want the freedom. Set a goal like “I want to drive to my Grandads on a Saturday and see him”. It really spurs me on to think of things I’ll be able and want to do.

Before you set out on a lesson or drive, remind yourself of the reasons you’re doing this, for a job, for freedom. It also helps when I think of people who are idiots/thick as duck already on the road not batting an eyelid just happily driving along. Are they better than me? NO. Well, go out there, shake yourself down and keep your chin up!

• Heart
I’m booked in for Wednesday and I can’t wait, I love my lessons.

It has taken me 12 years of learning on and off to find the perfect instructor. If you’re not happy, change. I’ve had some that have taken the piss big time. I think they saw me a tiny blonde they could swindle.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.