Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The thought of going 40mph is terrifying!
And Thankyou, I just need to get in the mind frame of “I can do it one day” instead of “I will never ever do it”

sometimes I wish I just learnt at 17 like most people! Xxxxxx
I was the same, I never learnt at 17 because I was terrified and then I kept putting it off. It took me many years and prob hundreds of lessons because I kept stopping/ starting them. But I did eventually get there! Il be honest, I hate driving even now!! I still get scared.
But the freedom it gave me is amazing! I couldn’t have carried on my job as cabin crew if I hadn’t passed. So it’s been a life line.
My advice would be tell the instructor how scared you feel, but go in there and just give it a go. They won’t let you do anything dangerous and they are always there and can have full control of the car if need be.
I think the more you do something the less scary it eventually becomes.
I think my fear came because my brothers best friends sister died two weeks after she passed her test in a road accident and it played on my mind so much that I just kept hiding away from lessons- but one day I realised that I can’t keep thinking that way. It was stopping me from actually living my life and doing the job I wanted to do.
I’m not going to lie. I do the minimum driving I can! I go the easy route to places, or the routes I feel most comfy with. I still am scared but I do think you get used to it, you get used to driving and the things you do and don’t like about it and sort of adapt to that.
I truly sympathise with you all being scared. I used to hate it when people used to laugh at me when I say it! But i don’t care anymore, Iv passed and I’m still scared but so what?!! I make sure I try and be a sensible driver and I don’t take chances or intimidate people when I drive, im patient with learner drivers and older drivers and I try and keep to speed limits . So I think I’m deserving to drive and that I do take my license seriously.
Please don’t shy away from it and give it a go. Some people on this thread suggested watching you tube videos and said it helped, I think that would have helped me when I started learning.
I really do sympathise and totally get where you are coming from though- good luck xxx

I’ve just had my final lesson before my test!
@kenbarlow You will get there! I bet your mum doesn’t think it went nearly as badly as you do!
Good luck! Don’t worry if you don’t pass, just see it as a practice run!
But you have it in you to pass and to be able to hold that license in your hand soon!
You’ve got this!
I’m wishing you loads of luck and just take your time.
I’m so excited for you. Let us know how it goes xxxx GOOD LUCK AND SAFE DRIVING 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you everyone for you good vibes! I will let you all know how I get on!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My test is first thing tomorrow. I am trying so hard to be positive and breathe! I want to pass so much. Hope everyone else is getting on well with lessons and tests.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Good luck for those going for their tests. The best advice I can give is do commentary driving, give yourself instructions (I need to turn right here, so I check all mirrors, etc..) keep focus and concentration from start to FINISH and breathe! Doesn’t matter if you’re a crap driver as long as you’re a safe one. Show them how safe you are!
You deserve your freedom, best of luck! 😉

• Heart
I failed :( didn’t stop fully at a give way. Such a stupid mistake.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I failed :( didn’t stop fully at a give way. Such a stupid mistake.
Awww hey well done for going for the test and doing it!!
That’s brilliant in itself!!! Good on you. And that’s such an easy mistake to do, but next time you will know and be more aware of it. God on some of my tests I made some real hum dingers! I think the examiner was terrified at points!
Don’t be harsh on yourself. I’m so proud of you for having a go and doing it!!
This wasn’t your time but next time it might be! You keep going because I think you are doing amazingly well. Xxx

• Heart
I went down a one way street the wrong way and the examiner ended the test on my first one 🙈 lots of us have been there. It doesn’t mean you can’t drive, you just haven’t passed the test yet. Don’t give up you will get there!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm sorry you didn't pass Belulah,please don't let it put you off though, next time lucky!

I went down a one way street the wrong way and the examiner ended the test on my first one 🙈 lots of us have been there. It doesn’t mean you can’t drive, you just haven’t passed the test yet. Don’t give up you will get there!
Haha that nearly happened on my first one too. The road went round to the left and I didn't realise and tried to go straight on into a one way street the wrong way! He stopped me in time but that was obviously a fail.

I've had lesson number 3 of my restart today. Not sure if it's because I'm older and calmer or because I like this instructor much more but it's going well. Did maneuveres today, I'm very relieved to find out I don't need to do reverse round a corner or 3 point turns anymore, they were not my strong point. I never really spent much time on bay parking last time though as I don't know if my test centre did them but apparently this one will so I had to spend some time practicing today.

Sorry to here that, What happened? ❤

COVID guidelines mean the instructors are meant to fully sanitise/valet their car which my instructor hadn't done! Managed to book another test, get a new instructor and earlier cancellation :oops: Six months wait to not even be allowed to sit it what a joke

• Sad
  • Wow
Did maneuveres today, I'm very relieved to find out I don't need to do reverse round a corner or 3 point turns anymore, they were not my strong point.
Is this the case for every test? I did reverse out of parking bay the other day and it went well but I didn’t like doing it 😂

Reactions: 1
Is this the case for every test? I did reverse out of parking bay the other day and it went well but I didn’t like doing it 😂
I got told the 4 I could get are:
Reverse bay park
Forward bay park
Parallel park
Reverse on the right hand side of the road

Apparently the old test centre in my town never did bay parks because they shared a car park but then they moved so now they do. I don't remember the test centre in my previous city doing them but I may have just been lucky in my 3 tests!

In test number 3 I had to do reversing round the corner of a road and I hated iiiit and stopped and cried because I was waiting for a car to go round me so I could continue but they just stayed there and beeped me instead and I didn't know what to do!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.