Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Im so glad this thread is there (thank you!!!)
I have my theory on Sunday. I'm crapping it. Im practising on my app continually but I seem to have triggered my anxiety badly with not knowing what will happen on the day. Can someone help explain it? Like from when you enter the building etc? Do you pick hazard first? What if you want to finish before the time is up? If you fail do you get a bit of paper? Does everyone there know you've failed?
Jesus my anxiety about going in a room and not knowing what to expect is worse than doing the test I think.
Sorry if this is pathetic - I usually can't go anywhere new without a friend or my partner, so I'm expecting my nerves to get the better of me. (Tempted to pop a diazepam🤣 these are prescribed to me btw)
Good luck, sometimes the fear of things is worse than the actual thing, I hope that it won’t be as bad as you fear x

people who intimidate learner drivers are knobs, they had to learn once too! X

Reactions: 2
I have my theory on Sunday. I'm crapping it. Im practising on my app continually but I seem to have triggered my anxiety badly with not knowing what will happen on the day. Can someone help explain it? Like from when you enter the building etc? Do you pick hazard first? What if you want to finish before the time is up? If you fail do you get a bit of paper? Does everyone there know you've failed?
Jesus my anxiety about going in a room and not knowing what to expect is worse than doing the test I think.
Sorry if this is pathetic - I usually can't go anywhere new without a friend or my partner, so I'm expecting my nerves to get the better of me. (Tempted to pop a diazepam🤣 these are prescribed to me btw)
This is how it was pre covid, I imagine the only difference will be sanitisation and distancing (potentially masks until you sit down/for the duration).

You arrive at the test centre and book in. You’ll be given a locker to put all of your things away and they will check that you don’t have anything like your phone in your pocket to cheat. They will also check you have no writing on your arms ect. They’ll check your ID also, you take your ID in to the test with you.

you’ll be directed to a booth and your details will be there to confirm, then you’ll get instructions on screen with headphones on how the test works and a quick practice. If your unsure of anything or your computer is not working then you can usually raise your hand and someone will arrive to help you.

You’ll take the theory part first and if you finish early you just need to confirm on screen when you’ve done you’re happy to proceed to the next step. It will also give you the option of a break before starting. The hazard perception will then start. Once you’re done sometimes they ask you some research questions on screen but you can opt out of these.

You don’t need to tell anyone you’ve finished you just get up and see the person outside the test room. They print your result there and then and give you the paper. Only the person printing your results will know the result.

Hope this helps, once seated I always feel a bit more relaxed. If you have any other questions just ask!

Also the app I used with incredibly similar to the actual test experience so if you’re doing well on that it’s very positive!!

Reactions: 4
Mine was a week or so ago - other test centres might do it differently but:
- it was first slot in the morning, so had to queue outside the building
- once allowed in we had to queue socially distanced away from the desk (if you want to pop to the loo I’d suggest going before this point)
- once at the desk I had to show my ID, lower my mask for a couple of second so they could check my face, and sign a document confirming I understood the rules - I didn’t read it, but it might help your anxiety and give your brain a minute to slow down if you do? Entirely up to you.
- then I was given a key for a locker to put all my stuff into, which I did (literally everything goes in there, nothing in your pockets, take your watch off, but I kept my engagement ring on)
- once my stuff was away I walked to talk to the monitor lady who overviews the room, and she told me which numbered desk to take.
- you go to that desk, and you check your name is right on the screen.
- if it is, then you can start your test - i put the headphones on for the whole thing as it helped to keep my concentrating
- the theory questions are first, you answer them as you would on the practice , if you’re unsure on any, then flag them and come back to them later, just take it nice and slow at your own pace.
- I then read through all the questions a second time once I’d finished to make sure I was happy with my answers
- then you submit your answers.
- at that point you can have up to five (I think) minutes to break before your hazard perception, but you have to stay at the desk
- then your hazard perception test takes place very similar to the practice ones
- then you’re done - you walk out of the test room into the main room to get your results, get your stuff, return the key, and all done :)

• Heart
This is how it was pre covid, I imagine the only difference will be sanitisation and distancing (potentially masks until you sit down/for the duration).

You arrive at the test centre and book in. You’ll be given a locker to put all of your things away and they will check that you don’t have anything like your phone in your pocket to cheat. They will also check you have no writing on your arms ect. They’ll check your ID also, you take your ID in to the test with you.

you’ll be directed to a booth and your details will be there to confirm, then you’ll get instructions on screen with headphones on how the test works and a quick practice. If your unsure of anything or your computer is not working then you can usually raise your hand and someone will arrive to help you.

You’ll take the theory part first and if you finish early you just need to confirm on screen when you’ve done you’re happy to proceed to the next step. It will also give you the option of a break before starting. The hazard perception will then start. Once you’re done sometimes they ask you some research questions on screen but you can opt out of these.

You don’t need to tell anyone you’ve finished you just get up and see the person outside the test room. They print your result there and then and give you the paper. Only the person printing your results will know the result.

Hope this helps, once seated I always feel a bit more relaxed. If you have any other questions just ask!

Also the app I used with incredibly similar to the actual test experience so if you’re doing well on that it’s very positive!!
Thank you so much, made me feel better! Can I ask what app you use? I wondered if they would use the same videos for hazard perception 🤣 x

Reactions: 1
No problem! I used theory test success. The videos were different unfortunately but very similar! They are like sims type virtual reality videos in the actual test so it’s actually clearer than the ones they use where it’s a camera mounted on a car. X

Thank you so much, made me feel better! Can I ask what app you use? I wondered if they would use the same videos for hazard perception 🤣 x

You arrive at the desk and they check your license.
Then you have to put all belongings in a locker (I think you have to turn your phone off in front of an invigilator)
Then you wait to be called through.
Then a second person explains how the tests work and which starvation to sit at.
You can take a practice question first. It’s multiple choice, case study then hazards.
Once you have finished you go back to the first desk and are given you’re results. :)

I had mine on Thursday. Get to the building, sign in at the desk and they’ll give you a rule sheet. Once you’ve read it you go back to the desk and they’ll check ID and ask you to pull your mask down just to check. Then they’ll give you a locker key and ask you to prove your phone is turned off and place all items in your locker. You then go the entrance for the e test. Another member of staff will check ID again, this is all your allowed to keep on you. They’ll explain a few rules and pointers of the test. If you wear glasses they’ll ask you to put them on the desk to check over and then you have them back. This is apparently due to people using Bluetooth headsets to cheat.

once seated you go through an explaination of how the test works, examples etc then you start the 50 questions. Very similar to the app I had 45ish question in the same layout as the app and then a case study (4 small paragraphs) and had to answer the remaining questions on this. You can flag and review any questions at the end and then once happy you click to move into hazard perception. You can take all or part of your allotted time. If you finish early you simply leave early I completed all mine in around 25 minutes.

you can have up to a theee minute break seated at your desk before moving on. hazard perception again they do a example question and explain, they’ll ask you to put the headphones provided on for this. Then the perception is the same as on the phone except their CGI not real scenes but realistic enough. again once completed you click to end the test and there’s someone in the viewing station who will point for you to leave most of the time otherwise just leave the room. I was asked to complete some trial questions and leave feedback on mine. It’s random and optional.

once you leave you empty your locker, give the key back in with your ID and they’ll give you a folded sheet of paper. No announcement of passing or failing. Once you have this you can leave. Sorry it’s long but I had the same anxiety I hope This helps.

Reactions: 3
What a dick. My sister was once out with L plates on practicing and some wanker told her to learn to drive! What did he think she was trying to do?
Best of luck @judsmum I’ll be thinking of you!
LOL. I was out once, I was still on my learners but driving with my husband which is allowed... well, I was doing a left turn (we drive on the right here) downtown and it was a busy intersection and I was too nervous to turn. Well, the light went red, and then I had to wait for the protected green left turn light (no on coming traffic). So I did my turn, then the car behind me, pulls into the lane next to me and puts his window down and asks if I even have my license, and starts shouting. My husband tries to diffuse it but the guy won't stop, eventually, I yell "duck off" at him and drive off. Pull in on the next block and burst into tears. HAHAHA. Now that I have been driving 3 years, I never interact with any other driver on the road. I never thought I would see the day where I actually enjoy driving and do it to "relax" and put my music on and sing... well now I do. I was the most nervous of drivers, I feel like if I can do it, anyone can.

I passed my driving mock today after taking the blockers! Feel much better about the real thing now

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Good luck im sure you will be fine xxx

I passed my driving mock today after taking the blockers! Feel much better about the real thing now
That’s brilliant news!!!☺☺☺So happy for you. It will give you abit more confidence for the real thing xxxx

Just come back from a really good lesson - I did my first forward bay park and reverse and they both went really well! Such a confidence boost 😁 Hope people’s lessons have gone well this week!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
So, after me posting about my anxiety for my test tomorrow, I've woken up with an awful sore throat and i can't taste much. Given its a symptom of corona I'm going to have to cancel. I'm actually so upset.
My partner says he thinks I'm just run down from the worry and pressure I put on myself the past couple of days and I should wait to see how i feel tomorrow. (My test is at 8am!)
In all honesty my body aches all over and my headache is getting worse, not going to risk anyones life for a theory test. I won't be able to get in do it again for another 3 months though so I'm gutted. I have driving lessons weekly and I'm ready to do my test. So I'm thinking of doing maybe one or 2 lessons a month to save some money until I get my theory done?!
Sorry for the long rant. I'm so frustrated and annoyed with myself.

• Sad
  • Heart
@Pussy Galore You are doing the right thing, at times like we this we need to watch out for each other and it’s best not to put anyone at risk.
Is there a chance for you to visit the building (the outside) with your partner before the test to help your nerves?

So, after me posting about my anxiety for my test tomorrow, I've woken up with an awful sore throat and i can't taste much. Given its a symptom of corona I'm going to have to cancel. I'm actually so upset.
My partner says he thinks I'm just run down from the worry and pressure I put on myself the past couple of days and I should wait to see how i feel tomorrow. (My test is at 8am!)
In all honesty my body aches all over and my headache is getting worse, not going to risk anyones life for a theory test. I won't be able to get in do it again for another 3 months though so I'm gutted. I have driving lessons weekly and I'm ready to do my test. So I'm thinking of doing maybe one or 2 lessons a month to save some money until I get my theory done?!
Sorry for the long rant. I'm so frustrated and annoyed with myself.
Oh no, hope you feel better soon. It is so unlucky but I think you are making the right call.

Your plan makes sense. I was ready for my test (ish) before Covid and so once lessons started again I had one once every two weeks just to keep myself going with it and now that my test is booked again I’m focusing on it more. I hate to think how much money I’ve spent on this but it is what it is. is it possible to get cancellations with theory tests?? I’m sure this will be a frequent occurrence these days.

No problem! I used theory test success. The videos were different unfortunately but very similar! They are like sims type virtual reality videos in the actual test so it’s actually clearer than the ones they use where it’s a camera mounted on a car. X
To correct myself I use Driving theory test 4 in 1 kit. It’s still £4.99.The logo on the app says driving test success. They also have a practical test element that also cost £4.99 it go through manoeuvres, questions and clips to teach various aspects. I’m going to purchase it also as I really rate the theory element they have.

Glad I found this thread, and the comments have been very useful!

I’m 28 and have never had the desire to drive (quite frankly cars terrify me)

but unfortunately I’m currently in a position where basically I need to learn, my son requires a lot of appointments for health issues.

My mum took me to a car park to have a go - it was my first time behind the wheel and I was so anxious. I slammed the breaks every time the car moved about 10cm 😩🤣

has anyone ever been absolutely terrified yet managed to get there in the end???

I just hate the thought of being in control of a car, and even though I’ve only tried this one time I’m convinced I will never be able to do it 😩

• Heart

but unfortunately I’m currently in a position where basically I need to learn, my son requires a lot of appointments for health issues.

My mum took me to a car park to have a go - it was my first time behind the wheel and I was so anxious. I slammed the breaks every time the car moved about 10cm 😩🤣

has anyone ever been absolutely terrified yet managed to get there in the end???

I just hate the thought of being in control of a car, and even though I’ve only tried this one time I’m convinced I will never be able to do it 😩
I really think it’s about finding the right instructor - I was terrified to drive on a road in case I hurt people (it was never me I was scared for), 5mph was scary, etc. But my instructor put me at total ease. I haven’t passed yet, so not a complete success story, but I’m definitely a lot more confident than I was. I’d explain upfront that you’re very nervous, I think it helps them help you :)

• Heart

I totally get that level of fear, I was the same for years. Not a total success story here either as I don’t yet have my licence but I have my test in a few days. I still get nervous but I CAN drive, I can go above 40mph and I now believe I can pass my test and belong on the road as much as anyone else does.

For me it has not been easy but I firmly believe if I can get to this stage you can too! Good luck x

• Heart
I totally get that level of fear, I was the same for years. Not a total success story here either as I don’t yet have my licence but I have my test in a few days. I still get nervous but I CAN drive, I can go above 40mph and I now believe I can pass my test and belong on the road as much as anyone else does.

For me it has not been easy but I firmly believe if I can get to this stage you can too! Good luck x
The thought of going 40mph is terrifying!
And Thankyou, I just need to get in the mind frame of “I can do it one day” instead of “I will never ever do it”

sometimes I wish I just learnt at 17 like most people! Xxxxxx

• Heart
I’ve just had my final lesson before my test!
@kenbarlow You will get there! I bet your mum doesn’t think it went nearly as badly as you do!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.