LBC Chit Chat #8 Steve Allen has left the building

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm struggling and I'd like to know what other Steve Allen addicts are doing. I've abandoned LBC because I'm bored shitless with 101 versions of the same topic by similar-sounding, woke cautious presenters (who have families and/or mortgages and don't want to be brutally cancelled), Radio4 is almost as bad and lacks variety, Talk Radio seems to be crap.......what else is there? I want variety, humour, information about arcane subjects from enthusiasts, decent plays, 'light entertainment', stuff for adults, you get the drift.

I've been listening to Steve Allen The Whole Show podcasts endlessly since the awful deed (I'm on mid October at the moment) because it contains a mix of all the things I want (at the lightest level) from a grown-up with plenty of life experience, a benign outlook, humour, observation, and a nicely acid way with words.

I'm not the only one adrift.......what are you listening to, please guide me to a decent speech station?

I've been going back a year exactly so he's starting the programme with today's date (sad I know) They have, understandably, been a bit Ukraine heavy even for Steve

• Heart
Reactions: 2
B
I'm struggling and I'd like to know what other Steve Allen addicts are doing. I've abandoned LBC because I'm bored shitless with 101 versions of the same topic by similar-sounding, woke cautious presenters (who have families and/or mortgages and don't want to be brutally cancelled), Radio4 is almost as bad and lacks variety, Talk Radio seems to be crap.......what else is there? I want variety, humour, information about arcane subjects from enthusiasts, decent plays, 'light entertainment', stuff for adults, you get the drift.

I've been listening to Steve Allen The Whole Show podcasts endlessly since the awful deed (I'm on mid October at the moment) because it contains a mix of all the things I want (at the lightest level) from a grown-up with plenty of life experience, a benign outlook, humour, observation, and a nicely acid way with words.

I'm not the only one adrift.......what are you listening to, please guide me to a decent speech station?
BBC WorldService for news from around the globe, stuff that might not get covered on the usual outlets, short documentaries.
Radio 4 Extra has plays, old programmes, comedy etc.
Agree with @Piff paff puff Desert Island Discs is great, you can listen to tons of old episodes.
I miss Allen as well, there is nothing left like him on radio now.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
When up early I've been enjoying Jason Rosam, he does a show that goes out nationally to all BBC local radio stations from 5am to 6am weekdays. I find him smart and funny, he's a fan of the stage, lots of references to musicals and theatre. The show opens with "Five at Five" where he briefly addresses some main news items but then moves on things like bird noises, listeners have to guess the bird. :ROFLMAO: He takes calls and I love hearing the many regional accents of callers. Last Tuesday he asked listeners about the sounds they wake up to, their responses were very evocative. Each day he plays out an item that was featured on different BBC local radio stations which is often interesting. There are a couple of music tracks which I don't mind except when one of the BBC autobot repetitous playlist tracks comes on.

At 6 o'clock he does another hour, but this goes out only on BBC radio London until their 7am breakfast show.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I am hoping that James O'Brien will stand in solidarity with Gary Lineker and refuse to present his LBC show.

You know you want to James...

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Just seen there's a podcast app called Castbox that have all Steve's shows going back to 2009 (4,400 of them) . Get 3 days free then it's £24.99 for a year. At just under 7p a night, I'm going for it. Feels a bit cumbersome to navigate to earlier years, I'll have a play and see if there's a short cut.

I am hoping that James O'Brien will stand in solidarity with Gary Lineker and refuse to present his LBC show.

You know you want to James...
What is it about white middle-aged men? They all seem to go bonkers. I'm only asking coz I am one and I don't want to go don't their route ... :ROFLMAO:

I
I wondered if Ian Payne was hoping to get the MOTD gig.
MOTD should just use AI technology. Not being funny, when I watch I forward-wind the bits when the pundits and presenters talk because it's so bleedin' dull ... not sure if you've noticed but the majority of ex-sporting people are dull. I guess it's down to them all being institutionalised for 30 years 'in the game' ... a bit like some radio hosts ironically, in their lovely bubbles and gated-communities. :rolleyes:

MOTD should just use AI technology. Not being funny, when I watch I forward-wind the bits when the pundits and presenters talk because it's so bleedin' dull ... not sure if you've noticed but the majority of ex-sporting people are dull. I guess it's down to them all being institutionalised for 30 years 'in the game' ... a bit like some radio hosts ironically, in their lovely bubbles and gated-communities. :rolleyes:
I must defend Test Match Special, back in the golden days when the BBC covered Test Matches all day on radio and TV. Like many people, I would watch on TV with the sound off and listen to the radio. I believe it was listened to by many people who weren't actually interested in cricket! They just loved hearing Johnners', Aggers', Blowers' and Fred Truman's banter.

Reactions: 1
I must defend Test Match Special, back in the golden days when the BBC covered Test Matches all day on radio and TV. Like many people, I would watch on TV with the sound off and listen to the radio. I believe it was listened to by many people who weren't actually interested in cricket! They just loved hearing Johnners', Aggers', Blowers' and Fred Truman's banter.
It's good soothing background radio ... something you can be creative to. Or if you aren't near a paint brush or pen ... that pile of ironing will do. :sneaky:

I don't think Matt Stadlen has quite got a grasp of analogies. :rolleyes:

Matthew Stadlen
@MatthewStadlen
If Gary Lineker isn’t allowed to condemn Suella Braverman’s divisive language, why is Alan Sugar allowed to mock inclusive traffic lights in London? They both present flagship BBC programmes.

Just seen there's a podcast app called Castbox that have all Steve's shows going back to 2009 (4,400 of them) . Get 3 days free then it's £24.99 for a year. At just under 7p a night, I'm going for it. Feels a bit cumbersome to navigate to earlier years, I'll have a play and see if there's a short cut.
Ssshhhh.....don't tell anyone. Last time a podcasting site like this got found out about a few years ago on social media their LBC podcasts going back ten years or more all strangely disappeared. I think most podcast sites got told to remove broadcasts of a certain age due to complications with intellectual property rights or changes in their subscription models such as was the case with Global. Enjoy those Castbox ones while they remain available.

I'm currently back in Jan. '09 again for the second time in recent years with those old fanny allen shows. Paul Savoury sat in with him on the New Year's day show. We'd just gone in to recession then and Steve was bashing the BBC over their defence of expenditure on a TV special called Big Cat Live. It took 94 staff, £300 a night in hotels, 35 tons of equipment and 13 truck loads when everyone else was cutting back.

They had just settled in to the new global studios in Charing Cross Road/Leicester Square, we had the tale of Steve's Auntie Enid covering herself in Nivea cream which repelled his Uncle Jack across the room during an attempted embrace and David Lamy making a fool of himself on a recent appearance of celebrity mastermind over Christmas. On the subject of childhood birthday cards, Steve Allen used enjoy finding a ten shilling note inside or half a crown sellotaped to back. Apparently there was such a thing as silver three ha'penny coin which was half the size of a thrupenny bit. Celebrity Big Brother was just about to start with Ulrica Jonsson and that little Vernon Troyer character.

Last edited:
There's a load here you can get for nothing ... I've haven't checked them, so at your own risk etc. etc.

• Heart
I don't think Matt Stadlen has quite got a grasp of analogies. :rolleyes:

Matthew Stadlen
@MatthewStadlen
If Gary Lineker isn’t allowed to condemn Suella Braverman’s divisive language, why is Alan Sugar allowed to mock inclusive traffic lights in London? They both present flagship BBC programmes.
Stadlens Twitter is frequently a car crash......I doubt he enjoyed this reply.

"You still pissed the BBC turned you down for being second rate?"

The hell did LBC find this Ali Mirage guy from?
Nobody gets a word in edgeways, reminds me of Maajid Nawaz minus the conspiracy theories.
He also just claimed to be a part-time International House music DJ in his spare time 😁

The hell did LBC find this Ali Mirage guy from?
Nobody gets a word in edgeways, reminds me of Maajid Nawaz minus the conspiracy theories.
He also just claimed to be a part-time International House music DJ in his spare time 😁
Clicky on:

" ... We're asking 'has Gary Lineker destroyed the BBC' ?"

Clicky off.

No LBC for me for about 72 hours I think. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.