LBC Chit Chat #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Absolutely cringing at Jim's noon monologue(s)
He sounds like a teenager that has just discovered he has a willy.

• Sick
Reactions: 1
James seems to have forgotten when he was telling us to believe every word that Dominic Cummings says

Anyone remember Anna Raeburn doing a relationships phone in at 2 pm on a weekday? I used to love LBC back then. So varied, not so endlessly political and some regular zany phone ins. Clive, Jim Davis & Susan Spence giving sex advice. David Prever? I miss those days.
Yes I remember. Before that she used to do a lunch time show on Talk Radio (now Talk Sport) when it first started up in the mid nineties. They also had Ceezer the Geezer on in the evenings.

Also I remember agony uncle and counsellor Phillip Hodson on LBC when he finally got his own show on Sunday nights back in the mid/late nineties. Excellent days.

He still speaks about drinking prosecco. I thought he had gave it up. Not for long eh haha.b
He's still partial to those kentucky fried chicken meals too.

Reactions: 3
Little snippet from Private Eye this week:

"Two top journalists were spotted going as guests to the tories fundraising summer party at the victoria & albert museum ... Theo Usherwood, political editor of LBC walked past journalists who were trying to report on the closed event .... He joined party donors at the fundraiser ... standard tickets cost 1500, with premium tickets 2000, Private Eye asked LBC whether its political eitor had crossed a line by going to the fundraiser, but it delicned to answer."

Wonder how Jimbo feels about that?

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Little snippet from Private Eye this week:

"Two top journalists were spotted going as guests to the tories fundraising summer party at the victoria & albert museum ... Theo Usherwood, political editor of LBC walked past journalists who were trying to report on the closed event .... He joined party donors at the fundraiser ... standard tickets cost 1500, with premium tickets 2000, Private Eye asked LBC whether its political eitor had crossed a line by going to the fundraiser, but it delicned to answer."

Wonder how Jimbo feels about that?
"Summon Theee Usherwood"
😁

Iain Dale has lost over a Stone in weight, being unwell the past week or so.
I caught some of his last show before he went off and he sounded terrible, he was quite aggressive too, used the word bollocks in response to a caller who was annoying him.
😁

Iain Dale has lost over a Stone in weight, being unwell the past week or so.
I caught some of his last show before he went off and he sounded terrible, he was quite aggressive too, used the word bollocks in response to a caller who was annoying him.
😁
I saw that so had a look through his twitter. I think he's had Covid.

Oh dear Old Big One, you must have been too busy watching your soaps to remember Lucy Beresford. She would have made dear Anna blush!
Lucy is far too recent ! I was referring to the 'old days', of presenters when Anna was broadcasting on LBC. As the OP said, Clive (Bull, presumably). I know he is still on LBC, but certainly doesn't offer sex advice on his programme these days! Likewise I don't remember Susan Spence giving that sort of information!

Anyway, my radio automatically switched itself off on a Saturday evening when Lucy Beresford was on ;) Obviously you switched your radio on !!

Reading on, I had forgotten about Phillip Hodson. Also I must have missed Jim Davis' involement in those programmes!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
Lucy is far too recent ! I was referring to the 'old days', of presenters when Anna was broadcasting on LBC. As the OP said, Clive (Bull, presumably). I know he is still on LBC, but certainly doesn't offer sex advice on his programme these days! Likewise I don't remember Susan Spence giving that sort of information!

Anyway, my radio automatically switched itself off on a Saturday evening when Lucy Beresford was on ;) Obviously you switched your radio on !!

Reading on, I had forgotten about Phillip Hodson. Also I must have missed Jim Davis' involement in those programmes!
Susan Spence? I would hope not as she was Steve Allen's Soaps contributor. Can you imagine Emily Bishop and Norris Cole phoning in for 'bedroom' advice? 😲

Dear Big One, I think you mean Susan Quilliam as Fenella kindly reminded us. Her surname always made me and the notorious DS LBC thread Bad Boy have a good laugh as it sounds too much like what she used to speak about... 😉

Twas my mistake saying Susan Spence. It was of course Susan Quillam. She was always suggesting wrapping things in clingfilm before entry!
My other memory was of Steve Allen's guests. I used to love John Warrington. There was also Darren someone a techy (switch it off and on again), Alan Dodgeon (self warming soup laughing incident) Paul Savoury I think & Nathan Morley a travel presenter.
Steve Allen was on for two hours on a Sunday morning as well.
I stopped listening somewhere along the way

I definitely think you win the prize for longest and most dedicated listener @The Big One and we should really give you some kind of clock for LBC listening services above and beyond the call of duty. I thought I was doing well going back to the 80s but you have me beat!

I jremember LBC back then as being really fun, strangely intimate and hilariously funny - laughing away to myself listening in late at night or whenever. Amazing characters like Brian Hayes and Mike Dickens. My LBC-addicted friends would talk about it at school the next day and I remember hearing people I knew getting on air at least 2 or 3 times. It had the feel of a small and cosy community back then, it felt as if you were part of something almost like a kind of secret club. I also remember Philip Hodgson very well - learned so much from those very ear- and eye-opening shows as a teenager. He was brilliant.

I had a long gap in the middle though before coming back to it so haven’t been very consistent. Would you say the phenomenon of wanting to bang your head against the wall while listening is a relatively recent one? It’s not something I remember from way back when.

Twas my mistake saying Susan Spence. It was of course Susan Quillam. She was always suggesting wrapping things in clingfilm before entry!
My other memory was of Steve Allen's guests. I used to love John Warrington. There was also Darren someone a techy (switch it off and on again), Alan Dodgeon (self warming soup laughing incident) Paul Savoury I think & Nathan Morley a travel presenter.
Steve Allen was on for two hours on a Sunday morning as well.
I stopped listening somewhere along the way
A couple of them came in with him one Christmas morning. Steve didn't like one of their gifts (i think it was some piece of gadgetry) so he gave it to the following presenter because she said her son would like it. This was in front of the gift giver!

You are fooling nobody, we are all aware that you regularly called Lucy Beresford....as "Mike from Enfield".
😁

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Good god, Natasha Devon is on, she feels the need to tell people about her sexuality, dropping the subject into virtually every conversation she has with people.
"This confit duck is glorious"
"Just to let you know I am bisexual"
"That's nice dear, each to their own and all that....are you going to finish those potatoes"
This presenter is rivalling O'brien in the lengthy monologue stakes.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Good god, Natasha Devon is on, she feels the need to tell people about her sexuality, dropping the subject into virtually every conversation she has with people.
"This confit duck is glorious"
"Just to let you know I am bisexual"
"That's nice dear, each to their own and all that....are you going to finish those potatoes"
This presenter is rivalling O'brien in the lengthy monologue stakes.

Oh Bobby. You just don't understand. Natasha doesn't like it when you say you don't care :rolleyes:

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.