LBC Chit Chat #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
According to Global and Eddie himself, he's retiring.

I would be surprised he would be upset at losing the hour. He did a two hour show for the BBC and initially joined LBC with a two hour show. I always thought he was just filling in until they sorted out a proper schedule for the 6pm slot.
I'll miss Eddie, always thought he was one of LBC's better hires. Fair play if he is retiring though, even though its only 4 days a week he does take quite heavy calls and I can imagine its quite emotionally draining after a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
It must be pretty grinding doing it for hours 4 days a week. But to go from that to nothing is a big leap.

I wonder if his retirement will last longer than the couple of weeks that David buik from aquis exchange did 😆

• Haha
It must be pretty grinding doing it for hours 4 days a week. But to go from that to nothing is a big leap.

I wonder if his retirement will last longer than the couple of weeks that David buik from aquis exchange did 😆
What happened with him, I remember there was a new lady and then suddenly he was back. When I here Buik on I realise I'm running late for work.

What happened with him, I remember there was a new lady and then suddenly he was back. When I here Buik on I realise I'm running late for work.
Nick Ferrari gave David buik a sentimental long sendoff because he was retiring. Then a few weeks later he was back. I either missed his return announcement or they didn't mention it.

Nick's joked a few times about he was forced out of retirement due to world events. But I'm thinking it's probably more a case of his work is his hobbies and he's too long in the tooth to change.

I never quite got why the companies he was affiliated with rotated around so much, seemed like some sort of ad.

Reactions: 2
Eddie Mair doing a flounce because he doesn't like Andrew Marr being given an hour of his show. That's according to the Mail. LBC's statement simply says he's retiring in August.

Reactions: 1
Eddie Mair doing a flounce because he doesn't like Andrew Marr being given an hour of his show. That's according to the Mail. LBC's statement simply says he's retiring in August.
Wouldn't surprise if Eddie popped up on Newsnight with Emily Maitlis leaving?
Or maybe the new host of Andrew Marr's old sunday morning show on bbc 1?

I wonder who gets the drive time show. Unless they were to get a big name, I imagine someone else gets promoted.

Eddie is a huge loss. A consummate professional and one of the few I had time for on the weekday schedule.

I wonder who gets the drive time show. Unless they were to get a big name, I imagine someone else gets promoted.

Eddie is a huge loss. A consummate professional and one of the few I had time for on the weekday schedule.
They've got Emily Maitlis and Jon Sopel joining so maybe one of them will take it or possibly Tom Swarbrick gets moved from the 10pm slot.

D
According to Global and Eddie himself, he's retiring.

I would be surprised he would be upset at losing the hour. He did a two hour show for the BBC and initially joined LBC with a two hour show. I always thought he was just filling in until they sorted out a proper schedule for the 6pm slot.
I too would be surprised if that was the case, his show was only extended to three hours after Nigel Farage’s departure. If anything would have thought he’d be pleased, if two hours a day was fine two years ago what difference now🤔

D

I too would be surprised if that was the case, his show was only extended to three hours after Nigel Farage’s departure. If anything would have thought he’d be pleased, if two hours a day was fine two years ago what difference now🤔
Actually that should be four years ago, same point though

D

Oops .. posting problems .. can’t seem to fix.

D

Oops .. posting problems .. can’t seem to fix. no sign of an edit button 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise if Eddie popped up on Newsnight with Emily Maitlis leaving?
Or maybe the new host of Andrew Marr's old sunday morning show on bbc 1?
That would be funny :)

Net this may be a loss for LBC as Eddie Mair had settled into his role. The main hope will come from Emily Maitlis as a successful female presenter would add to the station's balance although with the success of Shelagh that is not as urgent as it was.

Competing with the great James O'Brien cannot be easy. How do you even create an LBC show close to that level? Eddie was doomed from the start.

• Haha
The article that suggested that Eddie maybe leaving LBC is pure speculation. Maybe his contract ends at that time. In broadcasting when somebody tells their employers they are leaving, they are told to hang up their headphones and shut the door on the way out! They will have completed their final programme. They are not usually allowed to say "goodbye" to their listeners, and tell them they will be on Radio XYZ from next week !!!

Obviously there is always someone that goes against the rules, but this is the general principle.

The article that suggested that Eddie maybe leaving LBC is pure speculation. Maybe his contract ends at that time. In broadcasting when somebody tells their employers they are leaving, they are told to hang up their headphones and shut the door on the way out! They will have completed their final programme. They are not usually allowed to say "goodbye" to their listeners, and tell them they will be on Radio XYZ from next week !!!

Obviously there is always someone that goes against the rules, but this is the general principle.
LBC have put out a statement saying he's retiring in August 2022.

LBC have put out a statement saying he's retiring in August 2022.
That makes a difference, inasmuch as he is not leaving the station under a cloud either from himself or his employers side. He will be handed an LBC mug and the grateful thanks from the Management. Probably his ex-BBC colleagues will organise a bigger collection .... a Radio 1 mug !!!!

I suppose Swarbrick could move up and then totally new talent gets the 10pm slot. I reckon Nick Abbot would stick to weekends though.

I suppose Swarbrick could move up and then totally new talent gets the 10pm slot. I reckon Nick Abbot would stick to weekends though.
Personally, I would move Swarbrick to 4pm, Darren to 10pm and bring Richard Spurr to the 1pm slot.

Nick A definitely needs to stick to weekends though. He's not good doing totally serious shows. It seems to take it out of him.

Personally, I would move Swarbrick to 4pm, Darren to 10pm and bring Richard Spurr to the 1pm slot.

Nick A definitely needs to stick to weekends though. He's not good doing totally serious shows. It seems to take it out of him.
Abbott doing serious shows takes it out of me too 😁

• Haha

Swarbrick has a young family. He'd hardly get to spend time with his kid(s) if he did the late afternoon slot.

Darren to 10pm and bring Richard Spurr to the 1pm slot.
I am not sure that Darren would be a good fill for the 10pm slot. Admittedly I have only heard small parts of his programme, but haven't been impressed. I haven't heard Richard Spurr, so cannot comment on his suitability.

I am not sure that Darren would be a good fill for the 10pm slot. Admittedly I have only heard small parts of his programme, but haven't been impressed. I haven't heard Richard Spurr, so cannot comment on his suitability.
IMO, Darren would be better suited to that time - he's far too aggressive for 'easy listening' overnight. Not just his demeanor, but his voice - too shouty. It was a pleasure listening to Clive Bull instead of Darren recently. Clive is made for late night broadcasting (y)

Darren reminds me of Duncan Barkes, thankfully Duncan mellowed quite a bit after leaving LBC to go to BBC RL.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.