LBC Chit Chat #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
IMO, Darren would be better suited to that time - he's far too aggressive for 'easy listening' overnight. Not just his demeanor, but his voice - too shouty. It was a pleasure listening to Clive Bull instead of Darren recently. Clive is made for late night broadcasting (y)

Darren reminds me of Duncan Barkes, thankfully Duncan mellowed quite a bit after leaving LBC to go to BBC RL.

I forgot about Clive! How could I? 🤦‍♀️

Yep. Move him to Darren's weekday slot, Richard Spurr to Clive's spot and Darren into Tom's spot.

Or ... complete throwback, Clive to 10pm slot #Bliss

Re Duncan Barkes, you have to wonder how in control they are of their shows. Listening to Nick Abbot in his podcast with Carol and he drops a few hints he is not completely in control on the style of his show.

Reactions: 1
I forgot about Clive! How could I? 🤦‍♀️

Yep. Move him to Darren's weekday slot, Richard Spurr to Clive's spot and Darren into Tom's spot.

Or ... complete throwback, Clive to 10pm slot #Bliss

Re Duncan Barkes, you have to wonder how in control they are of their shows. Listening to Nick Abbot in his podcast with Carol and he drops a few hints he is not completely in control on the style of his show.
#Bliss indeed! I always loved the banter between Clive and his producer, Bob. I enjoyed how Bob was part of Clive's programmes and allowed to speak live on-air, unlike the one-sided nonsense with Steve Allen and his producers.

Both Duncan Barkes and Petrie Hosken said they had more freedom and control of the topics on their programmes on BBC RL after the restrictions on LBC. Yes, I would think Nick Abbot is still under the the same LBC thumb... I don't like him so never listen, but what I read, his weekends programmes are 'The Real Nick', whereas when covering for other presenters at other times, he has to toe the company line, which isn't is forte.

I am not sure that Darren would be a good fill for the 10pm slot. Admittedly I have only heard small parts of his programme, but haven't been impressed. I haven't heard Richard Spurr, so cannot comment on his suitability.
Richard Spurr was quite good from 4-7am on weekends a while back when Steve stopped doing Sat & Sun.
I think he has a short fuse, I detected a simmering tension at times, which has the potential to be entertaining 😁

Steve was on a cruise, it docked in Rome, "it was far too hot with graffiti everywhere ladies & gentlemen"
so instead of visiting The Coliseum he stayed on board & bought a dvd about The Coliseum to watch in his cabin.

:love:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Richard Spurr was quite good from 4-7am on weekends a while back when Steve stopped doing Sat & Sun.
I think he has a short fuse, I detected a simmering tension at times, which has the potential to be entertaining 😁

Steve was on a cruise, it docked in Rome, "it was far too hot with graffiti everywhere ladies & gentlemen"
so instead of visiting The Coliseum he stayed on board & bought a dvd about The Coliseum to watch in his cabin.

I can just imagine Steve doing this 🙈

Reactions: 2
Poor old James is in a right pickle. He is still trying to spin the story about Boris Johnson not being invited to the EU meeting.
I know it is painful for James but we left in 2016. Trudeau of Canada and Erdogan of Turkey did not go either.
He has learnt nothing from yesterday when he posted a heavily edited video and tried to present it as fact?

I went to a very posh school
I have friends of every socio-economic type
Some have huge trust funds
It's nearly quarter past ten

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I didn't last very long with Andrew Castle today. He had a woman on from Reclaim The Streets. The minute she said 'state sanctioned sexual abuse' re the police searching kids, I turned off.

I don't understand why you would have someone on who would have such obvious bias to discuss a subject like that.
She seemed to be coming from that place of seeing the world as made up entirely of oppressors and victims. All fault lies with the evil oppressor and none with the blameless victim. That makes all conversations so entirely boring and predictable.

Andrew, a man in search of a personality.
I agree - he appears to have no depth of personality of knowledge whatsoever. Really quite remarkable. At least he’s not as smug as Jobbie?

@Bobby Chariot, amusing to see your comments nearly quoted verbatim 'elsewhere' ;) - Fame at last! :cool:

• Haha
I agree - he [Andrew Castle] appears to have no depth of personality of knowledge whatsoever.
He hasn't. A caller once texted-in and said to him: "Andrew, all you've ever done is play tennis". That upset Andrew and he replied: "But I was British No. 1". I wanted to call-in and ask who the No.2 was? Paul from Accounting? I mean, Eddie Edwards was No.1 British Ski-Jumper ... Andrew, love, what's you point? Oh that's right, you haven't got one.

Then there was Andrew's take on Russia, it couldn't have been more middle-class: "I was talking about Russia once with my Israeli doubles partner as we walked around Florence during a tournment we were playing there". Geeezus wept. The other annoying thing about Andrew is that he has that godawful mid-atlantic voice where he americanizes words. So bleeping pretentious for a man whose never actually done anything other than hit a little ball across a net in a field and read an autocue on breakfast TV. Get him off, ffs.

ps. I'm probably being a little harsh on Andrew, people probably want someone lightweight on their radio on a Saturday morning. Andrew reminds me of all the male BBC TV presenters insofar as I think they would make wonderful cabin-crew for an airline or stewards on a cruise ship.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.