Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Agreed on the comments regarding Lammy. Doing the occasional show or maybe just the one show a week is OK but consistently doing fills for James OB isn't on in my book when he's a public servant paid by taxpayers and should be serving both his constituency and is serving as Shadow Foreign Secretary.

The lineup is garbage over the holidays I'm afraid - can't stand Lammy, can't stand Devon, can't stand Wright and then Ferrari is on holiday as well. I know that Maajid can be a bit crazy and he may want to spend time with family but I feel his absence this time. At least we have Nick Abbot and Steve.
I genuinely don't know how much longer LBC can keep employing Maajid. His twitter timeline is a thing to behold. He behaves when he is on air but away from LBC he is a full on conspiracy nutcase. He's on a ban from Face Book apparently. Today he's got a bee in bonnet about Tobias Elwood.

It was off air activities that did for Hopkins and Farage.

Reactions: 12

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
Actually I don't mind a bit of the Lamster and had a listen whilst doing some chores. It did not go that well for him as someone pointed out the success of the UK vaccine campaign ( with the hint that Labour calling for more Xmas restrictions was wrong). But to the fair to the Lamster he let the caller speak unlike James O'Brien who would have interrupted and tried to put the caller off and deployed the fader button.
The issue I have with David Lammy is, as a current MP, I don't think he should be presenting a radio show. It makes LBC seem bias, as they don't have a current Tory MP on there presenting regular slots. I don't think current politicians should be anywhere near a radio station as presenters. Just my view on it.

Reactions: 10

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
* Mr Chariot's end-of-year LBC Audit *
(Sponsored by Galliard Homes - 'homes you cannot afford')

4am-7am
Steve Allen - Love him or hate him, many hate, but I like him.
Steve knows what he's doing, occasionally overstepping the mark in these 'cancelling' times, a luxury suite in Brinsworth House awaits when he decides to quit bitching.
Ian Payne - (weekends) - An erstwhile sports journalist, prone to the odd bout of oversleeping.
Ian may well be at a crossroads in life, ex-wife, driving around for hours only to end up at his mother's house, haunted by his chorister school education Ian's a man on the edge.

7am-10am
Nick Ferrari - Mr Tabloid, a presenter from another era, commands the biggest audience figures for Global but a definite marmite character, got to admire his dedication to duty though.
Andrew Castle - (weekends) - 'Can someone help me out here' is Castle's catchphrase.
I reckon Andrew needs guidance at times, has a consumate knowledge of tennis mind you & became a grandfather this year.

10am-1pm
James O'Brien - Jobby, O'bingo, JOB, a manchild, who craves recognition for his output via social media.
However this presenter also knows the game inside out & has established himself well at Global.
Also sells board games.

1pm-4pm
Shelagh Fogarty - A presenter with the gentle touch, not to be provoked though as Shelagh does not suffer fools gladly.
A safe pair of hands during a mid-afternoon nap.
Maajid Nawaz (weekends) - Started off well with some thought provoking output, something has gone very wrong with this fading star though.
Will Andrew Marr be his replacement??

4pm-7pm
Eddie Mair - a prize capture for Global from the BBC & with a voice like Manuka Honey he's a great, witty orator/broadcaster.

7pm-10pm
Iain Dale - I find Iain another highly competent presenter, even-handed & balanced, willing to listen, Iain lends a certain gravitas to LBC evenings.

10pm-1am
Tom Swarbrick - A tad bland, Tom goes through the motions at times, another safe pair of hands he struggles a little with certain callers.
Despite this Tom knows how the political/PR machine works.
Nick Abbot - Nick can be great at times, at other times he gets fixated on one topic, still I think LBC would be poorer without him & his sound effects.
I've listened to Abbot since his Virgin days.
His end of year A-Z had clearly been plagiarised from me 😁

1am-4am
Darren Adam - Only listen to this presenter if you suffer from insomnia, instant sleep & bed rest awaits
Clive Bull (weekends) - Lovely man, happy to work the graveyard shift, placates irate callers with ease.

I realise that R Johnson, N Devon, M Frei etc have not been monitored here but I cannot listen 24hrs per day, 7 days a week like the shit-chatters can 😁

All the best for a better 2022

• Heart
  • Haha

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
All things LBC related past and present :)

Here is where we left off:

Some folk are apoplectic about 'Teflon Steve'
All those calls they made to Ofcom 😁
The thing is most of those complaints will have come from people who have never heard of Steve or listened to his show. They just heard the clip and went go straight to OFCOM. I think people generally have the wrong idea what OFCOM are there for. I saw a lot of people complaining OFCOM took no action about Diversity and their BLM dance. OFCOM is not there to take off anything you don't like.

It is interesting that one of the reasons no action was taken is because 'it said it would not launch a formal investigation because the remarks were brief and listeners to Allen's show were used to him being 'provocative'. '

I have seen that reasoning before for complaints made about Steve and it's true. If you don't like it, turn it off. There are plenty of people who do like it. The radio and TV is not there just there for your enjoyment and to endorse your way of thinking.

Last edited:

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Maajid is unhinged these days. I really can't listen to him.

I'm all for strong and differing opinions but he just sounds like a ranting mad man.

Reactions: 8

Fledgling Psycho

VIP Member
Does anyone recall the days when LBC was not so political? I used to love it the. Friday nights was Susan Spence & Jim Davis (?) A sex & relationships show. Much detail about anal sex.
There was a David Preever on at around 2 pm. Robbie Vincent on a Sunday night (yonks ago). Clive getting calls from Jean & an Irish guy who said Pughgeot for Peugeot. 😂 It was such fun back then.
Of course Steve Allen with his guests. Alan Dodgeon, John Warrington ❤ and Nathan Morley. I recall Alan & Steve trying some soup which heated up in a can and they were in hysterics laughing 😂 I got my son to record it for my phone ringtone.
It went off in the dentists once when I was in the chair. I seem to recall Alan Dodgeon had something to do with the birth of Twitter. I miss those days.

* think the Irish guy was Brendan.

* and Christo

Lady_H

VIP Member
Wow, haven’t listened to LBC in ages but this thread is making me feel like giving it another go!

Not at 10am though. I can’t listen to even a moment of JOB, his smug voice makes me cringe now. His general treatment of people who supported Brexit turned me from a diehard Remainer into someone who really empathised with Brexiteers and their ideas.

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
I am not sure that Darren would be a good fill for the 10pm slot. Admittedly I have only heard small parts of his programme, but haven't been impressed. I haven't heard Richard Spurr, so cannot comment on his suitability.
Richard Spurr was quite good from 4-7am on weekends a while back when Steve stopped doing Sat & Sun.
I think he has a short fuse, I detected a simmering tension at times, which has the potential to be entertaining 😁

Steve was on a cruise, it docked in Rome, "it was far too hot with graffiti everywhere ladies & gentlemen"
so instead of visiting The Coliseum he stayed on board & bought a dvd about The Coliseum to watch in his cabin.

:love:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7

Lady_H

VIP Member
I find Shelagh to be quite depressing. I tried to listen yesterday but it’s all so miserable. She covers some worthy subjects I guess and she’s not as smug as James but but between the two of them you’d think that we lived in the worst, most problematic, awful country in the world.

• Heart

glasgow27

VIP Member
Agreed on the comments regarding Lammy. Doing the occasional show or maybe just the one show a week is OK but consistently doing fills for James OB isn't on in my book when he's a public servant paid by taxpayers and should be serving both his constituency and is serving as Shadow Foreign Secretary.

The lineup is garbage over the holidays I'm afraid - can't stand Lammy, can't stand Devon, can't stand Wright and then Ferrari is on holiday as well. I know that Maajid can be a bit crazy and he may want to spend time with family but I feel his absence this time. At least we have Nick Abbot and Steve.

Lambeth Walk

The issue I have with David Lammy is, as a current MP, I don't think he should be presenting a radio show. It makes LBC seem bias, as they don't have a current Tory MP on there presenting regular slots. I don't think current politicians should be anywhere near a radio station as presenters. Just my view on it.
Especially in light of the recent row over politicians having second jobs and left in particular condemning it. Smacks of do I say but not as I do?

Meanwhile, it looks like Occy's getting yet another pasting from the Leftwaffe over on another forum.

Reactions: 6

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
Steve made me laugh yesterday at the beginning of his show. He was talking about the weather and that we could get snow, or at least in Scotland. He said we could get six inches, then proceeds to say 'its been a while since I last had six inches' :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6