Laura Jane Williams

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's not doing well. Already slashed to £2.50 on Amazon, the Kindle is back down to 99p, and the rankings are poor. Aggressive and desperate measures I think.
The lower priced kindle and paperback are actually what you want as an author. Publishers have to negotiate these deals with the retailer to promote higher sales. Not that she deserves it - but hugely successful writers are given these kinds of deals too.

I saw her new book for £2.50 in my local Tesco today. Bargain basement a week after publication isn’t a good sign
I was just coming on here to comment about it being on sale ALREADY. Tragic. How many more of these does she have to do?!

Another day, another live...another grand total of live viewers: 26.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
I bought it for very little on kindle. Please read it, come back and let's discuss further. :giggle:
Ok. So I begrudgingly purchased Becoming on Kindle last night (first attempted to find a free copy). So sorry that I’m late to the party and most of you have already read it. Please skip my comment it you’re not interested!

I got about half-way through, and I’ve been making notes so I don’t forget anything. There are a LOT of notes, because she is so very... well, just read my bullet points:

- Narcissistic. We all knew that, but the levels of it know no bounds. Let’s just say that every single man in the book adores her beauty and her incredible arse, and repeatedly tells her. Even the gay men want to sleep with her. She talks about being happiest when she’s centre of attention and it doesn’t ever seem to occur to her that her friends might want to talk about something other than HER. One of the most breath-taking moments is when she compares her doomed relationship with Chad (an 18-year old American boy totally out of his depth with her) to a story her friend told her about ACTUALLY ALMOST DROWNING. Actually capsizing in a boat and fearing she would die. Yes, LJW makes that comparison without a hint of irony.

- Very predatory about men. Some of her sexual escapades, if you reversed the sexes people would be calling her “rapey”. Begging the French guy to duck her when he’d said no, and unbuckling his belt, attempting to get him to “resign” to the fact it was going to happen? CREEPY AS HELL. Oh, AND she’s gotten with two different 18-year olds so far, when she’s around mid-twenties at the time, I think?

- Insanely needy and emotionally draining and not at all embarrassed by it. Her friend stops answering her calls because she rings her DAILY for WEEKS to discuss her ex, she pours her heart out to unsuspecting strangers in chip shops, even her own dad admits he finds her exhausting!

- Calum is quite misogynyistic - calls her “sugartits” and at one point essentially says that it’s not the patriarchy that pits women against each other, it’s that we all get confused because we give each other too much advice and we all need to chill out and women’s magazines are the cause of this anti-feminist cancer (so I’m really interested to hear his thoughts on Laura’s Grazia and Red Magazine columns?)

- oh I forgot, not only does everyone think she’s a world-class writer but she is also a renowned travel expert, everyone wants her opinion and asks her questions as if she is some kind of new world explorer, AND she is a culinary genius and total foodie who at one point threatens to “cut” Calum if he ever puts ketchup on her lovingly-prepared omelette again. Should point out she has yet to make anything more complicated than a omelette, and I am sure many of you remember her Instagram Story years ago admitting she had never roasted a chicken before and needed help. But yes, she is an expert foodie!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
OMG. Yes, agree on every point. You name it, she's the best at it. Shagging, teaching, being a roommate (goes into the bathroom to have a frig, how jolly decent of her), travelling, drinking, smirking. Her ego knows literally no bounds.

But, that is what I found so fascinating. Wondering does she actually believe this, because if so she must be absolutely insufferable to be around. Or is it just complete bravado and bluster? Probably a combination of the two.

The 'relationship' with the second American guy (also much younger) is just bloody wow. When she goes to visit him in NY. Cringe. In the space of a few pages it goes from being the most profound love in the universe to back peddling so fast she got whiplash.

• Heart
If anyone remembers the Italian guy that was similar. The world’s greatest love affair until it wasn’t. Also saying how hard it was to be in a relationship. After 3 weeks, which might suggest it was NOT a great love affair.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Yes! He had a mad hipster moustache didn't he? And it was the greatest love of all for about 4 months until they broke up and she said he was a controlling misogynist and she was moving back to Derbyshire and going celibate. Not extreme in the slightest, no way.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I think there is a lot of evidence that despite her multiple edicts about how happy she is to be single, she really is desperate for this huge, unrealistic, movie-esque romance to sweep her away.

She really imbues a lot of meaning into every encounter with a man in Becoming, whether it’s actually there or not. All the stuff about the Italian on Instagram was incredibly telling. It was like she bigged him up not because she adored him and saw him that way, but because by making him seem like this incredible man, it raised her profile in other people’s eyes.

I’ve just had the thought now that this is the reason she’s attempting to keep her privacy around relationships now - because the great big all-encompassing love hasn’t materialised, and she’s self-aware enough to realise that not having a serious relationship since early adulthood makes people question what mistakes she might be making.

She can’t become the next Elizabeth Gilbert or Glennon Doyle without a well of relationship wisdom to draw from, so instead she’s pivoted to pretend it’s about keeping her followers in the dark about who she is shagging, despite oversharing to the point of nausea previously.

I'd never heard of Glennon Doyle but her books sound interesting, I'll have a read.

But, I'm not keen on Elizabeth Gilbert, she is another who bigs up every relationship as lightning bolts, intensity, a hither to unknown love but now she's on about the 5th incarnation of this. It kind of makes you wonder if she has any idea about love and the difficulties of maintaining a longterm relationship because she seems to have her head turned on the reg.

Reactions: 1
Excellent summary @Lanavalentine, I read it about a year or two ago so it's not quite as fresh in my mind but I do remember reading it and being continuously horrified by it, and also baffled as to how these men actually found her at all appealing? Sorry to be blunt, but, come on!

There's just so much awful needless sexual detail, I would just die if I was the author of something like that. I wonder if she regrets it?

Reactions: 2
Guys...I know she deleted her blog but her blog posts are still up on Goodreads, so until she reads this post and deletes those swiftly, may we all remember this post, titled Fabio https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/15694016-fabio

:oops:
I look at you sometimes, and I think: give me your seed. I look at you and I think, give me your seed. Plant yourself inside of me and grow and grow and grow, let two become one become three and let’s build something beautiful, together, forever. I love you. I am you. We are we.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 13
If anyone remembers the Italian guy that was similar. The world’s greatest love affair until it wasn’t. Also saying how hard it was to be in a relationship. After 3 weeks, which might suggest it was NOT a great love affair.
she literally wrote about how HARD she found it to travel to his ... I think it was an hour by bus or something because she won't take the tube, because she needed to be at her house and near her fav cafe to write... she takes boundaries to the extreme.

• Haha
Guys...I know she deleted her blog but her blog posts are still up on Goodreads, so until she reads this post and deletes those swiftly, may we all remember this post, titled Fabio https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/15694016-fabio

I look at you sometimes, and I think: give me your seed. I look at you and I think, give me your seed. Plant yourself inside of me and grow and grow and grow, let two become one become three and let’s build something beautiful, together, forever. I love you. I am you. We are we.
Sweet jesus. Are we sure she dumped him?, we only have her word for this. Imagine reading this about yourself. Poor Fabio!

God, I have read the whole thing. She is cock out crazy.

• Haha

https://web.archive.org/web/2020081...oodreads.com/author_blog_posts/15694016-fabio

Archived here in case she deletes

Christ, three weeks in and already fighting lots and upsetting each other. Great going.

I had forgotten about this blog entry, I remember reading it at the time. Now in hindsight it’s just absolutely rammed full of blinding red flags. 😬

It's like she wears their arguments as a badge of honour and presents it as something to be envied. They're just sooo passionate and intense, you see. But passion doesn't have to mean rowing three weeks into your relationship.

• Heart
She also really likes that shot where she is kissing him on the back of the neck and looking coquettishly at the camera. She had virtually the same pic with the Indian guy she fetishised like crazy and who was another instant connection, no greater love on earth and then turned out to be a philanderer.

She also really likes that shot where she is kissing him on the back of the neck and looking coquettishly at the camera. She had virtually the same pic with the Indian guy she fetishised like crazy and who was another instant connection, no greater love on earth and then turned out to be a philanderer.
Omg yes!!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.