Kylie Flavell #4 Purloining the Patreon Purse

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My theory about the 'female greengrocer' & the 'girlfriends' is she's trying to shake off the flirty persona who would be gifted the parsley because of her allure (stupid, it's a common thing to throw in a twist of parsley + celery at a local greengrocer' even without a manic laugh or bare midriff, and the idea now that she has new wedded status she will hang out with a posse of girlfriends rather than the raggle taggle exes of yore. Respectability is the next new role of the chameleon. Still smarting about the fake aioli because yet again she lies to impress. Couldn't possibly say "I'm going to whip up some mayo", no, it has to be aioli but forgot the garlic press. How dumb do you think we all are"?
@PlinyinTorquay ..those sumptuary laws weren't a total success were they? Women appealed to the Pope over the Patriarch of Venice & won the right to their jewellery & learnt to gather their skirts up in folds and generally flouted the law until the magistracy gave up. Was recently re- reading a book about Venice by James Morris (as he was then) full of interesting anecdotes but certainly not on a level with your accademia ! Again I recently bought a historical novel on the basis of the cover which featured Tiziano's Venus of Urbino & though I generally, no make that never, read or watch historical novels or films, this one by Sarah Dunnant In the Company of the Courtesan had me hooked till the end. It brought to life the kaleidoscope of Venice in the 16th century. Tiziano's Madonna's gaze goes straight to the viewer - very unmadonna like. According to Morris, at the end of the 16th century there were 2,889 patrician ladies, 2,508 nuns, but 11,654 courtesans - obviously of different rankings, but gives a picture of a freewheeling society.

@nostoneunturned how funny was that comment 'today's rooster tomorrow's feather duster' - did you invent it? 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
But if you're on a budget nothing can beat a tin of sardines on a nice slice of toasted sourdough with a little salad of spinach leaves and cherry tomatoes!
@VeeJayBee

Ok, with all the talk about pilchards, sardines, fish tins and toast/tomatoes, I searched out my local COOP and found some tins of Alici or anchovy. Going to try it with pan and olive oil toast;

1627425139939.jpeg

Reactions: 5
My theory about the 'female greengrocer' & the 'girlfriends' is she's trying to shake off the flirty persona who would be gifted the parsley because of her allure (stupid, it's a common thing to throw in a twist of parsley + celery at a local greengrocer' even without a manic laugh or bare midriff, and the idea now that she has new wedded status she will hang out with a posse of girlfriends rather than the raggle taggle exes of yore. Respectability is the next new role of the chameleon. Still smarting about the fake aioli because yet again she lies to impress. Couldn't possibly say "I'm going to whip up some mayo", no, it has to be aioli but forgot the garlic press. How dumb do you think we all are"?
@PlinyinTorquay ..those sumptuary laws weren't a total success were they? Women appealed to the Pope over the Patriarch of Venice & won the right to their jewellery & learnt to gather their skirts up in folds and generally flouted the law until the magistracy gave up. Was recently re- reading a book about Venice by James Morris (as he was then) full of interesting anecdotes but certainly not on a level with your accademia ! Again I recently bought a historical novel on the basis of the cover which featured Tiziano's Venus of Urbino & though I generally, no make that never, read or watch historical novels or films, this one by Sarah Dunnant In the Company of the Courtesan had me hooked till the end. It brought to life the kaleidoscope of Venice in the 16th century. Tiziano's Madonna's gaze goes straight to the viewer - very unmadonna like. According to Morris, at the end of the 16th century there were 2,889 patrician ladies, 2,508 nuns, but 11,654 courtesans - obviously of different rankings, but gives a picture of a freewheeling society.

@nostoneunturned how funny was that comment 'today's rooster tomorrow's feather duster' - did you invent it? 😂
Well ... @Spirit of place ... Modesty had hitherto prevented me from saying this, but when I was in Paris, I urgently needed some water and was gifted a 500 ml bottle by a man in an organic grocery shop in Montmartre. Could it have been that he was beguiled by my feminine charm and fell instantly in love with me? Maybe it was because I only had an EU 50 note, and he didn't have change. Perhaps he recognised me as the sardine and anchovy supremo and hoped I'd give him a good deal on bulk purchase of canned fish? Or maybe my business card slipped out of my handbag, and he hoped I'd recommend the purchase of his great-grandmother's Boucher for Qatar? Embedded in these myriad possibilities is the correct answer! 🤣

With Tiepolo's Lady with the McCaw, I decided in the end that she is a fantasy portrait of a courtesan 'type', indeed there were laws differentiating what ladies and courtesans could wear. But this is the tip of the iceberg and there is much fascinating information about courtesan culture. I touched on Titian's Venus of Urbino in the dissertation, ditto Giorgione's Laura. I was also thinking about Petrarch's Laura and ideal female beauty https://www.jstor.org/stable/3049531. Undeniably Laura would have been given a complimentary twist of parsley or even a whole pot of basil if she'd slipped down to the market in Avignon without having to expose her midriff. Mary Laven's 'Virgin's of Venice' is an intriguing read and derives from Mary's PhD thesis on ladies in enclosed orders. Amazon product

@Jerry, thank you for sharing that very striking tin of anchovies with me. I hope that you enjoy them on your toast. Can I suggest that you try Gentleman's relish? https://www.fortnumandmason.com/fortnum-mason-s-relish-42-5g It is an English speciality that became popular in the early nineteenth century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman's_Relish

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
@VeeJayBee

Ok, with all the talk about pilchards, sardines, fish tins and toast/tomatoes, I searched out my local COOP and found some tins of Alici or anchovy. Going to try it with pan and olive oil toast;

View attachment 683135
Thanks @Jerry gratefully received! I always have tinned anchovies in the cupboard, handy for an emergency pasta meal with garlic, chilli and lemon. I'll add chopped parsley, when gifted from a smitten costermonger.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
@PlinyinTorquay Gentleman's Relish - from the rubbish at the back of my mind came the picture of a little ceramic pot of Patum Peparium - posh fish paste (like Aioli lol) which was delicious on toast. Was that it ? Spelling probably wrong.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Coming Friday. I do love the piano, I'm curious how this turned out. View attachment 684158
Yea, I saw that with some foreboding because I love Chopin & I'm sure she'll f*#k it up in some way, her usual way.
@Jerry what an eagle eye you have - made me laugh so much - took 15 tries to crack an egg? really? Then the camera fell on the food - glasses dirty etc. What's happened to her perfectionism? Guido, the influencer has taken to overseeing the result probably & advises her to just sling the flog together because it's not worth bothering, the money rolls in just the same from the philistines.

Yea, I saw that with some foreboding because I love Chopin & I'm sure she'll f*#k it up in some way, her usual way.
@Jerry what an eagle eye you have - made me laugh so much - took 15 tries to crack an egg? really? Then the camera fell on the food - glasses dirty etc. What's happened to her perfectionism? Guido, the influencer has taken to overseeing the result probably & advises her to just sling the flog together because it's not worth bothering, the money rolls in just the same from the philistines.
I also feel some foreboding, the subject sounds promising ... a private Palazzo in Siena & beautiful music, a man who believes in coincidences (as do I after Gondolier-slipper gate). I love Siena. My fear is that it will still be all about K.

• Wow
very much seems like she has been reading here, finally doing something cultural that doesn't feature her in front and centre

• Wow
@Jerry what an eagle eye you have - made me laugh so much - took 15 tries to crack an egg? really?
First try she missed the bowl edge altogether.

I thought she tried three or four times until I counted ! 15

Even at that, it looks like she pressed both her thumbs into the middle of the egg to finally crack it !

• Haha
Reactions: 1
First try she missed the bowl edge altogether.

I thought she tried three or four times until I counted ! 15

Even at that, it looks like she pressed both her thumbs into the middle of the egg to finally crack it !
what video was this?!

what video was this?!
winner winner chicken dinner @ 9:20

where an egg costs €0.19 and a teaspoon of mustard costs €0.04

even her math is wrong as she says 6 eggs cost €1.19, closer to €0.20

• Haha
Reactions: 2
winner winner chicken dinner @ 9:20

where an egg costs €0.19 and a teaspoon of mustard costs €0.04

even her math is wrong as she says 6 eggs cost €1.19, closer to €0.20
evidently wasn;t paying enough attention :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
I'm going to nit pick, and realise maybe it's just my personal preference...but a video inside a private home with a pianist might better be saved come autumn. With things open now and such nice weather, I guess I thought to see her going places and doing things outdoors. Not in her kitchen making chicken or showing the interior of a palazzo.

I guess I expected something different given their proximity to the Tuscan coast.

I'm going to nit pick, and realise maybe it's just my personal preference...but a video inside a private home with a pianist might better be saved come autumn. With things open now and such nice weather, I guess I thought to see her going places and doing things outdoors. Not in her kitchen making chicken or showing the interior of a palazzo.

I guess I expected something different given their proximity to the Tuscan coast.
is this part of the tuscan travel series of this is just another thing?