Knappily Ever After

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For those questioning their DVC cost, just watched a couple of old videos of theirs…

They paid £27k for the 200 Cooper Creek points. Money borrowed from Callum’s parents, which they pay back monthly. Their yearly dues are around £1k.
Lording it up and it is all on the back of Bank Of Mom & Dad???

This has made my day.

Reactions: 7
For those questioning their DVC cost, just watched a couple of old videos of theirs…

They paid £27k for the 200 Cooper Creek points. Money borrowed from Callum’s parents, which they pay back monthly. Their yearly dues are around £1k.
I am so confused to how DVC even works and if it is even worth it? They have to pay 27k out right for 200 points? What happens once you've used those 200 points?

Reactions: 2

27K!! Jeez, is that the average price?

How do you know this 🤔

Reactions: 1

~$188/point in 2019 (link), 200 points so $37,600ish, $0.78 to the pound in 2019 soooo just a touch under £30k.

Probably a over-estimate, as DVC give discounts when you purchase over 100 points and so on, so its more likely to be $160-170/point, but still that's 25kish
Guess I wasn't too far off then, looks like $170/point.

Reactions: 3

My dad lent me £4000 for a car as mine went unexpectedly but I would never in a million years ask for £27000 for DVC neither would they give it to me for that reason. I assume the parents go to WDW with them but still.....

Reactions: 7
Some people's lives really are an enigma to me. I can't imagine being in my thirties (?) and borrowing money off my parents for anything other than a total emergency. If I asked for money to go on holiday past the age of 18 they'd tell me to piss right off 😂 how the other half live

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Do you have a microphone in my house?!? 🤣 , me and the other half were talking about it this morning. I wonder if they have long service holidays or something that would take them up to 30 days, but it seems A LOT for a full time employee.
so I may have some insight here … I worked for John Lewis when I was at university many moons ago just weekend work folding clothes and manning the tills on the children’s wear department in one of the London stores .. I was only part time but all of my full time colleagues got rotaed to get a “4 day leisure” once a month where they had Sat, Sun, Mon & Tues off .. if Dullum (love it!) gets those which he may well do , he might be using his holiday very wisely and only need to book 3 days off for a week off , if that makes sense ?

Also John Lewis and Waitrose are very generous with their perks for length of service .. I think if you’ve worked there for 30 years your entitled to 6 months off as a paid sabbatical .. someone who I worked with had that option !

also on the topic of how much Dullum earns .. not so much the last few years but don’t forget how generous Waitrose and John Lewis are with bonuses .. ! I know Covid has messed this up last year and probably for this year but in years gone by he will have made bank from that … when I worked there I got £1000 and I was only on 16 hours a week and it made my student life !!

John Lewis & Waitrose are overall great employers , I really used to like working there .. they used to let me transfer stores over Xmas and the summer so I could go home to my parents house .. if Callum has been there a while he’ll no doubt be reaping the benefits

I am so confused to how DVC even works and if it is even worth it? They have to pay 27k out right for 200 points? What happens once you've used those 200 points?
It’s 200 points per year so they get new points every year and I think that is for life so once you’ve paid off the 27k it is free holidays

Reactions: 6
Informational DVC post time.

So buy points in a resort at a certain $ value, say $160/point, then for each point you have to pay yearly dues, which vary per resort, but are in the $7-11/point range. Your contract with DVC is for 50 years, so as long as you keep up your dues you'll be allocated points every year.

You get allocated these points each year on a set 1st of the month (called your Use Year), which covers the next twelve months, So for example, if your use year is September 2021, those points can be used to book a trip any time from the 1st Sept 2021 to 31st Aug 2022.

You can then use the points to book rooms at the resort you selected up to 11 months in advance, or at other DVC resorts 7 months in advance. Rooms at each resort vary, from 13 points a night for a Studio up to 50+ for some of the 2-3 bedroom villas.

Your points can be banked to your next use year, or borrowed from a future use year. Lots of people buy a low amount of points and then bank/borrow to have a bigger holiday every 2-3 years. In Knapp's case 200 points is more than enough to have a week or more at Disney each year, depending on the resort.

Thats the basics, I'm sure other owners can add more/correct me if I've missed something.

not for life. It’s for the length of the deed contract.
Copper creek is 2068

so calculation
$27000 buy in
$1000 dues per year X 47 years remaining (it will go up yearly but ignore That for now)
total cost of ownership circa $74000
divide by 47 years
$1575 cost per year

but a studio per week at copper creek ranges from 102 pts in low low Season to 183 pts in high (Xmas or Easter) season

so 200 doesn’t even get two weeks per year

• Wow
so I may have some insight here … I worked for John Lewis when I was at university many moons ago just weekend work folding clothes and manning the tills on the children’s wear department in one of the London stores .. I was only part time but all of my full time colleagues got rotaed to get a “4 day leisure” once a month where they had Sat, Sun, Mon & Tues off .. if Dullum (love it!) gets those which he may well do , he might be using his holiday very wisely and only need to book 3 days off for a week off , if that makes sense ?

Also John Lewis and Waitrose are very generous with their perks for length of service .. I think if you’ve worked there for 30 years your entitled to 6 months off as a paid sabbatical .. someone who I worked with had that option !

also on the topic of how much Dullum earns .. not so much the last few years but don’t forget how generous Waitrose and John Lewis are with bonuses .. ! I know Covid has messed this up last year and probably for this year but in years gone by he will have made bank from that … when I worked there I got £1000 and I was only on 16 hours a week and it made my student life !!

John Lewis & Waitrose are overall great employers , I really used to like working there .. they used to let me transfer stores over Xmas and the summer so I could go home to my parents house .. if Callum has been there a while he’ll no doubt be reaping the benefits

It’s 200 points per year so they get new points every year and I think that is for life so once you’ve paid off the 27k it is free holidays
Free holidays? - only if you can walk to your hotel and don't want to pay for park tickets.

Flights for a family of 4 and park tickets don't come cheap.

It’s very, very tying (unless you sell, in which case you’ve not really had much of the benefit - aside from the other perks, but are they worth the admin of DVC?!), as you have to go to Orlando (or other DVC places) all the time. I can imagine the kids will be bored of it by the time they’re 18, and there’s still 30+ years on the lease.

I’d prefer to do the every 3 years and bank from the bookend years approach, that sounds more workable. Or rent on the points every X years, it would get so boring otherwise!

It’s very, very tying (unless you sell, in which case you’ve not really had much of the benefit - aside from the other perks, but are they worth the admin of DVC?!), as you have to go to Orlando (or other DVC places) all the time. I can imagine the kids will be bored of it by the time they’re 18, and there’s still 30+ years on the lease.

I’d prefer to do the every 3 years and bank from the bookend years approach, that sounds more workable. Or rent on the points every X years, it would get so boring otherwise!
just rent the points out or stay at some of the other dvc resorts in California, Hawaii,vero beach or Hilton head

Dullum used to work for M&S and only moved to Waitrose a few years ago so definitely not entitled to those long perks.

You can give them away to your children/grandchildren if you wanted to. Also you can exchange them into the RCI programme and go just about anywhere in the world. DVC will work for some and not for others.
If you like staying in the deluxe resorts then DVC can save you money.

You can give them away to your children/grandchildren if you wanted to. Also you can exchange them into the RCI programme and go just about anywhere in the world. DVC will work for some and not for others.
If you like staying in the deluxe resorts then DVC can save you money.
With so much uncertainty about air travel affordability post C19 I expect a few of our friends are a little twitchy about their DVC memberships.

With so much uncertainty about air travel affordability post C19 I expect a few of our friends are a little twitchy about their DVC memberships.
Absolutely, this has highlighted to me the potentially fragile agreements we depend on to allow international tourist travel. For the moment the DVC rental and resale market is still healthy so I can rent my points until we get some better answers and potentially sell if its going to be a persistent problem.

Free holidays? - only if you can walk to your hotel and don't want to pay for park tickets.

Flights for a family of 4 and park tickets don't come cheap.
I know that , I meant free accommodation ! I’ve been to Disney many times and understand the costs :)

Dullum used to work for M&S and only moved to Waitrose a few years ago so definitely not entitled to those long perks.
Oh interesting !

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.