Keto Diet

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have PCOS too! Ice been doing a lot of reading about insulin resistance in PCOS which is why I decided to go the Keto route. I was a terrible chocolate binge eater and I want to overcome it. I’ve quit booze, smoking, now it’s time for sugar 👍 It’s funny isn’t it, when you get diagnosed with PCOS you get zero information on how to manage it/what you need to be more aware of. (At least it was in my case)
Pcos definitely responds well to keto and low carb. I personally find it very hard to give up alcohol. I love beer and cava but I’ve had a word with myself and said if I want booze it will have to be gin and vodka and sugar free mixers. I’m not too much of a food binger but I get myself into lazy habits sometimes!!!

Yep totally agree, my doctor told me to go to weight watchers and treated me as though I’m just a greedy slob and said the gym is pointless. It was almost comical. I’m currently 1.5 stone down. Really need to get another 2 off me in order to be prescribed clomid. I’m currently taking inafolic alpha instead of metformin so will see how that goes!

Well done on everything you’ve managed to quit!!!

Reactions: 2
Pcos definitely responds well to keto and low carb. I personally find it very hard to give up alcohol. I love beer and cava but I’ve had a word with myself and said if I want booze it will have to be gin and vodka and sugar free mixers. I’m not too much of a food binger but I get myself into lazy habits sometimes!!!

Yep totally agree, my doctor told me to go to weight watchers and treated me as though I’m just a greedy slob and said the gym is pointless. It was almost comical. I’m currently 1.5 stone down. Really need to get another 2 off me in order to be prescribed clomid. I’m currently taking inafolic alpha instead of metformin so will see how that goes!

Well done on everything you’ve managed to quit!!!

That’s great to know. I think we have to be careful as PCOS is linked to Diabetes! (Something I didn’t find out from my doctor .. ha..)

Wow, 1.5 stone! Well bloody done. I know how hard it is to have patience in weight loss, you should be proud of yourself!

Thank you! It’s been 2 years since I stopped drinking - crazy I can say that as I was a problem drinker. I drank because if my anxiety which in turn lit a flame under my mental health. Very glad to be sober :)

Have a look at taking Inositol for PCOS. It’s reLly good, I bought my tablets for under £10 off Amazon for a 69 day supply. (This sure explains it all very well: https://www.google.as/amp/s/www.smartfertilitychoices.com/inositol-pcos/amp/)

Here was me lunch! (At 3pm. I’m definitely feeling fuller eating fats!)

A salad made with baby spinach leaves, salted cucumber, few olives, bacon, 10g Full fat mayo and this German smoked cheese (omg it was delish)

Attachments

Reactions: 1
That’s great to know. I think we have to be careful as PCOS is linked to Diabetes! (Something I didn’t find out from my doctor .. ha..)

Wow, 1.5 stone! Well bloody done. I know how hard it is to have patience in weight loss, you should be proud of yourself!

Thank you! It’s been 2 years since I stopped drinking - crazy I can say that as I was a problem drinker. I drank because if my anxiety which in turn lit a flame under my mental health. Very glad to be sober :)

Have a look at taking Inositol for PCOS. It’s reLly good, I bought my tablets for under £10 off Amazon for a 69 day supply. (This sure explains it all very well: https://www.google.as/amp/s/www.smartfertilitychoices.com/inositol-pcos/amp/)

Here was me lunch! (At 3pm. I’m definitely feeling fuller eating fats!)

A salad made with baby spinach leaves, salted cucumber, few olives, bacon, 10g Full fat mayo and this German smoked cheese (omg it was delish)
Wow you honestly should be so proud of yourself. I drink more out of habit, I love getting to a Saturday night and getting really pissed! I wish I could shake that. I’m feeling very strict about cutting out the beer and fizzy stuff!!

I’ve actually started back on inafolic!! I’ve ordered 3 months worth of inafolic alpha. I just need to set timers to remember to drink them!! What results have you seen?

That lunch is so up my street. I had left over gammon, two boiled eggs and a couple of spoons of beetroot salad (not keto friendly) but it needs eating.

Tonight I’m having sausages (not a fan but need to clear down the feeezer), brocolli, buttered leeks and swede. The beetroot took me to about 10g carbs and the leeks brocolli and swede will take me to around 30g.

Have you been exercising too? I deffo find exercise more punishing when I am carb cutting. I just got back from a run and struggled. Don’t suppose anyone has any good advice on how I combat that?

Dinner tonight - cauliflower cheese 🧀 I followed the Headbangers kitchen recipe but the sauce was too runny... next time only 150ml cream and more cheese instead! Also there was 9.7g carb per small portion... 🥺 I won’t add an onion if I make it again!

ETA: I used 1kg bag of cauliflower Split between 6 portions so think that’s where the rest of the carb value comes from ... damn, it’s hard to stay under 20g!

I had this as a little sweet snack earlier, a couple of squares of Godiva 90% dark chocolate with 15g peanut butter spread on top. Was actually nice like that. I can’t eat dark choc on its own quite yet.. 😋

Attachments

Last edited:
Dinner tonight - cauliflower cheese 🧀 I followed the Headbangers kitchen recipe but the sauce was too runny... next time only 150ml cream and more cheese instead! Also there was 9.7g carb per small portion... 🥺 I won’t add an onion if I make it again!

ETA: I used 1kg bag of cauliflower Split between 6 portions so think that’s where the rest of the carb value comes from ... damn, it’s hard to stay under 20g!

I had this as a little sweet snack earlier, a couple of squares of Godiva 90% dark chocolate with 15g peanut butter spread on top. Was actually nice like that. I can’t eat dark choc on its own quite yet.. 😋
Woooooiii that looks good. Do you have a link to recipe? I struggle with any recipes that require me to use flour as I can’t use almond flour as I have a really bad tree nut allergy.

I have 85% chocolate which I love, never thought to top with peanut butter. Deffo need to try that!!!! Do you use one in particular?

No almond flour needed 😀👍 I’ve seen lots of recipes say you can sub almond flour for coconut flour, you just use 3/4 less as it’s absorbent!

The PB I got was just the bog standard smooth, I wasn’t paying crazy amounts to get a slightly lower carb count 🤣.

I've been reading this thread for a while & got some inspo to start Keto (as well as loads of insta pages)

It's my first week and I've cut to 40g of carbs a day (which is half of what I'd usually be eating:oops:)! But I'm struggling to not feel guilty when I see the fat content of the food I'm eating (especially saturated fats!) and I don't know whether that's just from always believing fat was bad or is it because I should be avoiding anything high in saturated fat and just eating good fats?

I'm not sure if that made any sense haha but I'm hoping someone gets my gist! (ps thank you for this thread, it'll be so much easier to do if I know I can write here) x

First day done! Managed 26g carbs most of which came from cashews but they’re gone now, easy to overdo the nuts isn’t it!

Had a really nice dinner, the beef and pork mince from Asda is 👌 and the courgetti was decent too, didn’t miss the pasta too much, but I do have a headache now - chugging the water now to help.

I read that it takes 21 days (roughly) to become fat adapted so I’ve done a little tick off countdown on my notes app for a little visual to help

Attachments

• Heart
I've been reading this thread for a while & got some inspo to start Keto (as well as loads of insta pages)

It's my first week and I've cut to 40g of carbs a day (which is half of what I'd usually be eating:oops:)! But I'm struggling to not feel guilty when I see the fat content of the food I'm eating (especially saturated fats!) and I don't know whether that's just from always believing fat was bad or is it because I should be avoiding anything high in saturated fat and just eating good fats?

I'm not sure if that made any sense haha but I'm hoping someone gets my gist! (ps thank you for this thread, it'll be so much easier to do if I know I can write here) x
I know *exactly* what you mean! It’s because Keto is so so different to other diets... the focus is on a completely different way of fueling the body.. I come from calorie counting and to have real butter and double cream in the fridge is like ‘say what?!’ I’ve been watching Gingers Keto in the UK on YouTube, her videos explaining the science of Keto are amazing - she’s got a thick accent so I watch with captions but she’s so clever how much she knows. I watched her video ‘3000 calories of fat’ where she lost weight just eating fat. It explains that carbs and protein need to be limited (aka carbs at 20g and protein at 100-130g) but fat can be looser.

First day done! Managed 26g carbs most of which came from cashews but they’re gone now, easy to overdo the nuts isn’t it!

Had a really nice dinner, the beef and pork mince from Asda is 👌 and the courgetti was decent too, didn’t miss the pasta too much, but I do have a headache now - chugging the water now to help.

I read that it takes 21 days (roughly) to become fat adapted so I’ve done a little tick off countdown on my notes app for a little visual to help
Bloody hell that looks amazing! I need a Spiralizer 🤤

I’m drinking crazy amounts of water, my mouth is dry!

Bit scared of the next few days, just hope I don’t get really ill!

Getting through 21 days to become fat adapted is a great motivation... we should stick to this for at least 20 more days so we can start to feel the true benefits. I would absolutely love to reset my tastebuds and start finding things sweeter. I’d also love to have a clearer calmer mind, even if it’s not a dramatic change.

• Heart
I know *exactly* what you mean! It’s because Keto is so so different to other diets... the focus is on a completely different way of fueling the body.. I come from calorie counting and to have real butter and double cream in the fridge is like ‘say what?!’ I’ve been watching Gingers Keto in the UK on YouTube, her videos explaining the science of Keto are amazing - she’s got a thick accent so I watch with captions but she’s so clever how much she knows. I watched her video ‘3000 calories of fat’ where she lost weight just eating fat. It explains that carbs and protein need to be limited (aka carbs at 20g and protein at 100-130g) but fat can be looser.
Thank you for the recommendation!! The 'fattiest' thing I ate today was 25g of 85% dark chocolate (7g of fat) and I've felt guilty for it ever since 😂 I'll stick with it for definite, I don't like some of the foods keto endorses so atm it's trial and error for me anyways

well done! Gosh that looks delicious. Yes, nuts for me are a slippery slope! So moreish. I’ve read pecans are slightly better than cashews for carb content.

I managed to succeed today also! Pork crackling from Sainsbury’s = game changer! Keeps you so full and zero carbs 🤪

• Heart
When I did Atkins eons ago (which is what keto essentially is) one of my favorite treats was mixing half a pack of cream cheese with double cream, an egg, and a splash of vanilla. Put it the microwave and it turned into a fake cheesecake in seconds. 😛 It was all the rage back then on literally every forum. Will fill you up for days!

Another popular one was cheeseburger pie using cooked minced beef as the base with whatever seasoning you wanted or could spare with your carbs, and then top with a mixture of cheese, cream cheese, egg, and cream and bake in the oven like a cottage pie. Serve with a large green salad. When you can add more carbs add cauliflower in that topping mix. Yum.

Now my stomach cannot tolerate dairy so as much as I’d still like to be low carving I cannot manage to keep the fat high enough without dairy. 🙄

We are so conditioned to think that low fat is good, full fat is bad. It’s so hard to change your mind. You will definitely see a major difference in how full you feel when you have foods with a higher fat content!

I cannot stand courgette anymore. If you want to try something interesting Holland and Barrett sells zero carb pasta. It stinks when you take it out and wash it and the texture is like rubbery (which I weirdly enjoyed) but it does fill a hole!

When I did Atkins eons ago (which is what keto essentially is) one of my favorite treats was mixing half a pack of cream cheese with double cream, an egg, and a splash of vanilla. Put it the microwave and it turned into a fake cheesecake in seconds. 😛 It was all the rage back then on literally every forum. Will fill you up for days!

Another popular one was cheeseburger pie using cooked minced beef as the base with whatever seasoning you wanted or could spare with your carbs, and then top with a mixture of cheese, cream cheese, egg, and cream and bake in the oven like a cottage pie. Serve with a large green salad. When you can add more carbs add cauliflower in that topping mix. Yum.

Now my stomach cannot tolerate dairy so as much as I’d still like to be low carving I cannot manage to keep the fat high enough without dairy. 🙄
Hell yeaaah they sound AMAZING!!!

Day 2

So I tried cream cheese pancakes this morning from I breath I’m hungry and they were nice but a total pancake fail lol, think my pan was way too big. Maybe I’ll stick with bacon!

Lunch is a take on ikea meatballs, using some of the meatballs I made last night and making a sauce with double cream and beef stock pot thingy

Dinner is chicken satay from the body coach book with salad.

Love a good food day 😁 I do find it easier being at home then at work, there’s more time to make recipes and fit some workouts in, doing some of Shaun t’s t25 at lunchtime

Day 2

So I tried cream cheese pancakes this morning from I breath I’m hungry and they were nice but a total pancake fail lol, think my pan was way too big. Maybe I’ll stick with bacon!
It took me ages to get the hang of keto pancakes. I make the ones on diet doctor's website and they were so good, top with thick cream, get in my belly.:love:

Do you have a recipe? I have a hankering!!
I can't access it anymore (my free trial ended), but I could send you a photo of my printout!

ETA: never mind I found it

I can't access it anymore (my free trial ended), but I could send you a photo of my printout!

ETA: never mind I found it

Thanks so much!!x

Those pancakes sound amazing! I haven’t got psyllium husk powder but I found a recipe to do some with almond flour tonight as my sweet treat!

One thing I like about Keto, is that because you’re cutting a lot of food groups out, once you’ve bought the cupboard essentials And got enough cheese/double cream/meats in you can make pretty much any keto recipe

I have been feeling a tad nauseous and then just now came over all sick and faint, anyone else experiencing this? It came in a wave and is gone now but still feel a bit light headed. Gonna tough it out but maybe just go lay in bed if it gets worse. I hate being ill.