Keto Diet

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey everyone. Been lurking in the thread and finally ready to tackle going keto. Wanted to ask what your fav brand of cauliflower rice is? I'm not a big fan of rice in general actually but thinking the cauliflower rice may be a nice accompaniment to the chicken dishes I have planned.
Also favourite pasta substitutions? Wary of asking as I really don't want zucchini noodles or anything like that but just in case someone has something that's similar to pasta and low carb!
I use spinach as a base for my meals, just wilt in microwave is is filling and has a good fibre content. I have been doing Ketogenic for over 5 years it is tough at times but the best way of eating I have found. Coconut oil is brilliant for keeping cravings at bay good luck

Reactions: 3
I wish I had the willpower to do the keto diet... I did it for 2 weeks and then lost the will to live because I was craving fries 😩😩 Plus I found it hard to stick to 5gs carb.

I wish I had the willpower to do the keto diet... I did it for 2 weeks and then lost the will to live because I was craving fries 😩😩 Plus I found it hard to stick to 5gs carb.
It’s 20g net carb, though 5% of your intake from food, with most being on fat.
Celeriac fries are good. Not the same but a good makeshift

Reactions: 1
Butternut squash crinkle chips are quite good if you cook them till they’re crispy. I need to get back to being more strict on the carbs, I lost 1/2 a stone and got a bit stuck, need to boost it again.

I use spinach as a base for my meals, just wilt in microwave is is filling and has a good fibre content. I have been doing Ketogenic for over 5 years it is tough at times but the best way of eating I have found. Coconut oil is brilliant for keeping cravings at bay good luck
5 years that’s good going! Teach me all of your tricks please 🙏🤓

Reactions: 2
I lost 4 st after having a stroke, broke my foot and put 2 back on due to lack of motivation and not being able to workout! 😢 need to get back on it!

I have been on it since the end of December and I am down two stones! I have another 3-4 stones to lose.

Reactions: 6
Hey I am starting keto this week I have tried a couple diets in the past, calorie deficit and slimming world. I’ve heard it can be dangerous if breastfeeding so a bit worried. Do I need to buy ketosis test strips? Also any decent foods from Tesco whilst I do my online shop? Already found a chicken and vegetable soup which is low carb

Also any low carb recipes / alternatives for tomato ketchup? I can’t cope without it

Hey I am starting keto this week I have tried a couple diets in the past, calorie deficit and slimming world. I’ve heard it can be dangerous if breastfeeding so a bit worried. Do I need to buy ketosis test strips? Also any decent foods from Tesco whilst I do my online shop? Already found a chicken and vegetable soup which is low carb
No don't worry about the strips. Just stick to under 20 net carbs per day and you will be fine. Do you plan to track calories?

Eggs, meat, fish, canned fish, cheese, cold cuts, salad leaves, vegetable (avoid higher carb ones like sweetcorn, peas and carrots), 85% chocolate,peanut butter, butter, double cream for coffee.

No don't worry about the strips. Just stick to under 20 net carbs per day and you will be fine. Do you plan to track calories?

Eggs, meat, fish, canned fish, cheese, cold cuts, salad leaves, vegetable (avoid higher carb ones like sweetcorn, peas and carrots), 85% chocolate,peanut butter, butter, double cream for coffee.
To be honest for the first few weeks I was just going to track carbs till I get used to things, should I be tracking calories etc?

To be honest for the first few weeks I was just going to track carbs till I get used to things, should I be tracking calories etc?
I think that sounds sensible. Most people do lazy keto (just tracking carbs) until they stop losing. I don't think you need to start tracking calories unless you aren't losing. Good luck!

Don't forget electrolytes - magnesium (supplements) potassium (I use lo-salt) and sodium (from normal salt)

The keto and ketouk subreddits on Reddit are gold resources.

Also any low carb recipes / alternatives for tomato ketchup? I can’t cope without it
I never found a good ketchup so made my own substitute with (homemade) mayo in a blender with a little tomato purée, Himalayan salt & a liquid sweetener. It’s not the same but the best substitute I found.

Hey all you cool cats and keto-ers

I’m getting ready to start Keto in a few days (need to clear my cupboards and do a food shop and read the book I ordered off Amazon first) I’m excited! Mainly doing it firstly for: Weight Loss, but also because I have PCOS and an addiction to sugar which is definitely something that needs to be nipped in the bud. I thought I’ll stick to it for a month then I will re-assess. It seems like a lot of work cooking etc instead of being able to grab something from the freezer but hey, I’ve got time on my hands due to recent events.

One question I am deliberating over is whether to count calories or not? I’d rather not and just Keep a count of carbs ... someone on another forum said you will lose weight on keto just by counting your carbs

Hey all you cool cats and keto-ers

I’m getting ready to start Keto in a few days (need to clear my cupboards and do a food shop and read the book I ordered off Amazon first) I’m excited! Mainly doing it firstly for: Weight Loss, but also because I have PCOS and an addiction to sugar which is definitely something that needs to be nipped in the bud. I thought I’ll stick to it for a month then I will re-assess. It seems like a lot of work cooking etc instead of being able to grab something from the freezer but hey, I’ve got time on my hands due to recent events.

One question I am deliberating over is whether to count calories or not? I’d rather not and just Keep a count of carbs ... someone on another forum said you will lose weight on keto just by counting your carbs
Correct. I printed a load of meal plans off the Diet Doctor website, you can get a month of premium free! Focus only on counting carbs, especially at the start.

Correct. I printed a load of meal plans off the Diet Doctor website, you can get a month of premium free! Focus only on counting carbs, especially at the start.

Thank you so much, that place is a treasure trove of information! Plan is tomorrow to spend the entire day A) making myself a ‘keto’ cupboard and B) doing my two-weekly food shop! I’m excited 😀😀

Doing my food shop and meal plan to start Keto, thought id share some of the recipes I'll be making:

LUNCHES or DINNERS

Creamy coconut chicken curry with green beans

Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Crispy Bacon

Keto Fried Chicken wings with blue cheese dressing

Chicken wrapped in bacon & bbq sauce with cauliflower mash

Cheese stuffed meatballs in a tomato basil sauce

Cobb Salad – Chicken/Smoked cheese, olives, rocket, cucumber blue cheese dressing

Jalapeno Poppers

Buffalo sauce wings with blue cheese dip

Tomato, mozzarella and basil with pesto

Hollandaise sauce with bacon and eggs

Fathead nachos with jalapeno Philly

Sausage and cauliflower mash with green beans & gravy

Chaffles

Chicken in a cream sauce, mushrooms

Shakshuka egg with crumbled Goat Cheese

Courgette Fritters with a poached egg

DESSERTS:

Hot chocolate with whipped cream

Keto brownies

Sugared pecans

Chocolate orange mug cake

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Doing my food shop and meal plan to start Keto, thought id share some of the recipes I'll be making:

LUNCHES or DINNERS

Cobb Salad – Chicken/Smoked cheese, olives, rocket, cucumber blue cheese dressing

Jalapeno Poppers

Chaffles

DESSERTS:

Keto brownies

Sugared pecans

I love jalapeño poppers!! Thanks for writing these down, some good inspiration

I think I might go back to Keto, have been feeling a bit fluffy since lockdown and when I wrote down what I was eating in another thread all 3 meals were SO carb heavy. It’s my birthday this weekend though so starting after I’ve had the cake 😂

My only issue is exercise, I do fairly tough exercise regularly and I’m reluctant to give it up especially while we’re not able to do much else, might have to try something a little less intensive to start off with I guess!

LUNCHES or DINNERS

Jalapeno Poppers

Chaffles

DESSERTS:

Keto brownies

Sugared pecans

This is a great list, thanks! I have a good variety of bfast, lunch, dinner and savoury snacks but struggle a bit with sweet/desserts. Could you share the mug cake recipe link pls?

Just to update you guys I had to give up I woke up feeling incredibly ill and shaking and really tired to the point where I wouldn’t be able to look after my baby if I had continued and have opted for a low carb diet instead, however I don’t feel hungry at all, I’m not craving sweet things like I usually do

This is a great list, thanks! I have a good variety of bfast, lunch, dinner and savoury snacks but struggle a bit with sweet/desserts. Could you share the mug cake recipe link pls?
10g butter
20g almond flour
10g cocoa powder
20g Erythritol (or more to taste)
1 egg
Orange essence
2.5g baking powder

Melt the butter in a mug for 20 seconds first to coat the mug then add the rest of the ingredients and microwave for about 1.5 mins on 800W and serve with double cream

Just to update you guys I had to give up I woke up feeling incredibly ill and shaking and really tired to the point where I wouldn’t be able to look after my baby if I had continued and have opted for a low carb diet instead, however I don’t feel hungry at all, I’m not craving sweet things like I usually do
On no poor you! What day were you on? I’ve heard the Keto flu isn’t fun

• Heart
Reactions: 2