Kate Lawler #3 Didn’t want a baby but gave it a go, Night Nanny helps to soften the blow.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have you ever tried to breast feed?
She’s right though, there does seem to be issues going on, probably multi-level, on why the UK rates are pretty cack in comparison to the rest of the world. I could list a few myself (gov funding in post natal care I’m certain about, as I know I nearly gave up myself on the back of panicking but then didn’t as someone with the knowledge stepped in)…but having said that, rates are good from what I hear in countries without that even in place.
I defo think immediately family support is key too. Since kate commented saying her mum wanted her to stop “from day 1” there ya go!

Reactions: 7
It’s tricky isn’t it because as a mum if you saw your child struggling to breastfeed to an extent where you could see it was affecting their mental health you would want them to stop. Maybe that’s why Kates mum wanted her to stop. As someone who really struggled with breastfeeding to the point it was make me extremely unhappy I know that my family wanted me to stop. That wasn’t them being unsupportive of me that was them actually knowing what was best for me.

Reactions: 19
Have you ever tried to breast feed?
No but when I worked as a midwife I had to ensure bf mums were successfully breastfeeding before they were discharged and also had to offer support when I was out in the community. I know it's hard and I would never say it wasn't but it is also the norm in many cultures despite the challenges. That's not the case in the UK where it feels like giving up when you hit an obstacle is encouraged.

Reactions: 12
Come on Kate, give your twin sister some cash to get some work done. They look completely different! Her sister looks so rough and haggard
I'd rather look 'not as good' as my twin; but be a decent non-narcissistic, loving, kind parent that look like self-obsessed Kate and have no bond with my child.

Come on Kate, give your twin sister some cash to get some work done. They look completely different! Her sister looks so rough and haggard
I'd rather look 'not as good' as my twin; but be a decent non-narcissistic, loving, kind parent that look like self-obsessed Kate and have no bond with my child.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
She’s right though, there does seem to be issues going on, probably multi-level, on why the UK rates are pretty cack in comparison to the rest of the world. I could list a few myself (gov funding in post natal care I’m certain about, as I know I nearly gave up myself on the back of panicking but then didn’t as someone with the knowledge stepped in)…but having said that, rates are good from what I hear in countries without that even in place.
I defo think immediately family support is key too. Since kate commented saying her mum wanted her to stop “from day 1” there ya go!
I don’t mean it confrontational. I was going to explain why and how it is actually really bleeping hard but then thought ‘well if this person has ever breastfed they’ll know’.
In a country where everyone breastfeeds the peer support would be incredible. Here, in a pandemic, it’s difficult to access help. (I understand Kate can throw money at it but not everyone can)
It’s also incredibly mentally and emotionally difficult. ‘Is my baby getting enough? Am I providing for my child? Should I top up? Why can’t I do the simplest thing of providing food for my baby when so many people can, does that make me a bad mother?’ It can be mentally crippling.
Physically being tied to your baby every three hours at least. The cracked, bleeding, raw nipples maybe having to see your child throw up your blood and having to keep doing it again a few hours later. Limited options for medications, skin care etc For me, I’ve had to entirely change my diet for my baby, no dairy or soy, it’s totally doable and not ‘hard’ but there is sacrifice.
There are a lot of reasons we in this country don’t have the same support but it makes it all the more hard and that should be appreciated. The ‘in our day it was the only option, you just got on with it’ or ‘in some countries they don’t have the option’ you hear only makes you assume it’s easy and it feel more like it should just happen which I think leads to a lot of the guilt when you can’t. It definitely should be a big deal then women would be more prepared instead of being told ‘oh it’s no big deal’ so feeling incompetent when they struggle and women choosing to bottle feed would be less criticised rather than the assumption they ‘didn’t bother’ which can happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
I dont want to get into a breast/bottle debate and i can only speak from my own experience. I bottle fed my first, and breast fed my second. To this day i believe my lack of breastfeeding my first contributed to my PND and my own feeling of not really being able to bond with my first child. And even now my first child is 8, i still worry about the bond i have with him compared with my daughter.
Also, did anyone else find breastfeeding didnt help with weight loss??!

• Heart
I dont want to get into a breast/bottle debate and i can only speak from my own experience. I bottle fed my first, and breast fed my second. To this day i believe my lack of breastfeeding my first contributed to my PND and my own feeling of not really being able to bond with my first child. And even now my first child is 8, i still worry about the bond i have with him compared with my daughter.
Also, did anyone else find breastfeeding didnt help with weight loss??!
Me, I can’t stop eating 🐷

• Haha
I don’t mean it confrontational. I was going to explain why and how it is actually really bleeping hard but then thought ‘well if this person has ever breastfed they’ll know’.
In a country where everyone breastfeeds the peer support would be incredible. Here, in a pandemic, it’s difficult to access help. (I understand Kate can throw money at it but not everyone can)
It’s also incredibly mentally and emotionally difficult. ‘Is my baby getting enough? Am I providing for my child? Should I top up? Why can’t I do the simplest thing of providing food for my baby when so many people can, does that make me a bad mother?’
Physically being tied to your baby every three hours at least. The cracked, bleeding, raw nipples maybe having to see your child throw up your blood and having to keep doing it again a few hours later. Limited options for medications, skin care etc For me, I’ve had to entirely change my diet for my baby, no dairy or soy, it’s totally doable and not ‘hard’ but there is sacrifice.
There are a lot of reasons we in this country don’t have the same support but it makes it all the more hard and that should be appreciated. The ‘in our day it was the only option, you just got on with it’ or ‘in some countries they don’t have the option’ you hear only makes you assume it’s easier and it feel more like it should just happen which I think leads to a lot of the guilt when you can’t.
Hey I never said it was easy and it wasn't a mental and physical stuggle. And there absolutely should be more support for bf mums (and post natal support in general, it's notoriously shite). I don't want to seem like I'm lecturing but the data speaks for itself. Low income countries have a very high uptake of bf and many do it up to two years of age. That is clearly out of necessity and because that is the only option hence it is deeply embedded in the culture. Mothers in western Europe and the USA have more options so obviously if they don't enjoy the bf experience the don't have to do it. But mothers in the Congo still have the same issues and I doubt very much they expect a round of applause because they've bf for two years.

Reactions: 5
It’s also incredibly mentally and emotionally difficult. ‘Is my baby getting enough? Am I providing for my child? Should I top up? Why can’t I do the simplest thing of providing food for my baby when so many people can, does that make me a bad mother?’ It can be mentally crippling.
There are a lot of reasons we in this country don’t have the same support but it makes it all the more hard and that should be appreciated. The ‘in our day it was the only option, you just got on with it’ or ‘in some countries they don’t have the option’ you hear only makes you assume it’s easy and it feel more like it should just happen which I think leads to a lot of the guilt when you can’t. It definitely should be a big deal then women would be more prepared instead of being told ‘oh it’s no big deal’ so feeling incompetent when they struggle and women choosing to bottle feed would be less criticised rather than the assumption they ‘didn’t bother’ which can happen.
There is a breast feeding thread if you want to discuss these matters.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
I don't think I've ever seen anything so sad as her Instagram. She's clearly not bonding with her baby, and frankly needs a kick up the arse as to how lucky she is. After my 2nd was stillborn, I cherished every baby second with the other 2 I had..... even the tough nights and bad days, because they are such a short phase of their life.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
It's not off topic though? Many of us predicted Kate would go down the convenient 'Noa won't breastfeed anymore' route from the get go.
It is a bit though, personally I’m not here to hear about other people’s breastfeeding journeys, don’t mean to sound harsh but it’s getting a bit mumsnet 😬

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
It's not off topic though? Many of us predicted Kate would go down the convenient 'Noa won't breastfeed anymore' route from the get go.
Discussing BF is dull as dirty dishwater. Some do, some don't - who cares about BF in the congo? It wasn't for Kate and she's dropped it. Let's also drop it. I will be honest and I don't care about cracked nipples or babies puking your blood. That in depth chat is for the BF thread. I've scrolled past most of it but really.. it's been done to death

Discussing BF is dull as dirty dishwater. Some do, some don't - who cares about BF in the congo? It wasn't for Kate and she's dropped it. Let's also drop it. I will be honest and I don't care about cracked nipples or babies puking your blood. That in depth chat is for the BF thread. I've scrolled past most of it but really.. it's been done to death

It is a bit though, personally I’m not here to hear about other people’s breastfeeding journeys, don’t mean to sound harsh but it’s getting a bit mumsnet 😬
Exactly. There is something about this thread that triggers people and they feel the need to tell us their own experiences. This is not the rave thread for KL and extensive discussion over your personal BF journey is irrelevant and frankly boring.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Can we ask Kate to button it then on her stories 🤣. I guess it keeps coming up on here because she’s blaming Noa. Noa doesn’t want my milk etc etc.

Exactly! I don’t care whether she breastfeeds or not. I don’t care how anyone chooses to feed their child but it’s a bit annoying for Kate to have a night nanny 3 times a week confusing poor Noa and then wonder why she is ‘refusing’ her boobs and blaming her for it!

Reactions: 11
It’s bleeping boring and divisive! I agree with you.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Discussing BF is dull as dirty dishwater.
I get that, that’s why I responded briefly, but i don’t think it was taken how I meant it so I expanded.
In regard to Kate, I don’t even understand why She has made this such a large part of her content. Is it an effort at ‘real life, tell it how it is’ style and talking about your tits is cool or has she just got naff all else to talk about? Either way, she can’t put herself out there as the ‘keeping the bf mums company at 4am, we’re in the same boat’ if she’s actually up to pump while someone else takes care of her baby. Boob, bottle, combi, express, she just wants a piece of all the action - something for everyone,
So ReLaTaBLe. I’d have more respect for her if she stopped bleeping about, went to formula, shut up about Phil and Grant and put the time and energy into bonding with Noa

Last edited:
Can we ask Kate to button it then on her stories 🤣. I guess it keeps coming up on here because she’s blaming Noa. Noa doesn’t want my milk etc etc.
Kate mentions it because it generates engagement on Insta, it doesn't mean we need to discuss the highs and lows of Sharon or Tracy's bf journey here. Those personal stories are for the BF thread.

Reactions: 6
Kate mentions it because it generates engagement on Insta, it doesn't mean we need to discuss the highs and lows of Sharon or Tracy's bf journey here. Those personal stories are for the BF thread.
Sorry but are you a mod? Because if you're not, you are not supposed to be policing threads. You can always mute people or skip replies you're not interested in. The fact is Kate is talking about breastfeeding a lot and so it's natural for there to be a discussion around that.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.