Joe Biden - The 46th President of the United States

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Exactly, if they axe Joe now it undermines everything Trump says because then he would be the old man. Is it a case of precedent? Is it unheard of for an election not to be contested by the sitting president?
IIRC every president has sought reelection (but several have lost making them one term presidents).

The exception is Lyndon B Johnson who said he wouldn’t seek a second term owing mostly to the criticism he received over the Vietnam War. LBJ had already been president for six years though given he assumed the presidency following JFK’s assassination and held that for two before winning his own presidential bid.

So it’s been done, but only once.

Reactions: 5
IIRC every president has sought reelection (but several have lost making them one term presidents).

The exception is Lyndon B Johnson who said he wouldn’t seek a second term owing mostly to the criticism he received over the Vietnam War. LBJ had already been president for six years though given he assumed the presidency following JFK’s assassination and held that for two before winning his own presidential bid.

Franklin Pierce wasn’t nominated by his party to re stand for election. They got fed up with him.

Reactions: 2
How do you mean contested, I think in America they have elections every 4 years?
I meant as in announcing they wouldn't run again whilst already President.

There is an age limit on becoming President too young there I think, maybe they need to enforce it on candidates over 75 too.

Reactions: 3
America what is going on?
Your current president is clearly unfit for office and the Republicans are trying to get the divisive Trump re-elected.
It's unbelievable that these 2 could be running against each other in the next election.

This begs the question who is really running America?
Military industrial complex just like President Eisenhower warned 60 years ago.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
I keep reading that the reason they are keeping Joe is because he’s the only one who can win against Trump? Which makes no sense because even Democrats must be waking up to the fact he’s too ill to lead
The problem is they've left it really late, super tuesday is less than a month away now!

I've created a separate thread for the election, because Joe won't be in the race for that much longer

I keep reading that the reason they are keeping Joe is because he’s the only one who can win against Trump? Which makes no sense because even Democrats must be waking up to the fact he’s too ill to lead
I think the problem isn't so much that the Democrats think that Biden is the only one who can win against Trump, but rather it's the presidential system itself. Even though Biden is a Democrat, there isn't a party structure that he is the head of. He's running under his own steam essentially although of course he represents them. That's why Trump became president representing the Republicans, even though he'd never actually held any political office. So there isn't the equivalent of the 'men in grey suits'. in say the Conservative Party, who can step in.

The problem for the Democrats is/was that it's very hard for another Democrat to go against a sitting president. Someone like Gavin Newsom, who is talked about as a potential president, would have known that he was unlikely to get the Democratic nomination if he ran against Biden. Among other reasons, he wouldn't have been able to finance his campaign as the main donors are behind Biden. He would also have been seen as disloyal and when he inevitably lost, that would damage any future campaigns.

Ordinarily Harris would be the automatic pick for the next election, but I expect people like Newson will challenge her as she has proved to be such a poor VP and is really unpopular. And her unpopularity is another problem for the Democrats, because that's another line of attack for Trump; vote for Sleepy Joe and likely get Harris at some point.

The Democrats really have got themselves into a pickle now over Biden's mental fitness, or rather lack of. The only way out is for Biden himself to decide to step down. Unfortunately, the person whose mental faculties are declining, for whatever reason, is always the last to recognise and accept this. There's no excuse for Jill Biden though. Even on a human level, I find it hard to understand how anyone could let their loved one endure such pressure knowing that they're not well. Has she tried and failed to get him to stand down so is now just trying to manage the situation? Or is she too hooked on the trappings of power to do the right thing? I expect it's the latter.

Reactions: 10
The problem is they've left it really late, super tuesday is less than a month away now!

I've created a separate thread for the election, because Joe won't be in the race for that much longer

You know what unbelievable as it may seem I wouldn’t be surprised if he clings on for dear life. He has a massive ego and I don’t see him willingly bowing out anytime soon.

You know what unbelievable as it may seem I wouldn’t be surprised if he clings on for dear life. He has a massive ego and I don’t see him willingly bowing out anytime soon.
Yup, the way he came out swinging yesterday showed that he has no sense of his own frailty. And the Democrats are coming out backing him in the media which won't help. However, even if he have a vague sense of his decline, all politicians have such a big ego that they think that the country can't survive without them. I suppose in part it's what makes them successful, but it also makes it impossible for them to recognise when it's time to step down. That's why the US now wisely has a two-term limit.

Biden is a career politician, so his whole life has been leading up to him being president in his mind. Of course, if Beau hadn't passed away in 2015, he might have been fought against Hillary Clinton for the 2016 Democratic nomination. He would have been well placed as the incumbent VP, and the world might never have known a Trump presidency. In choosing Hillary Clinton, the Democrats probably picked the only Democrat who could fail to beat Trump. This then became the battle cry of Biden that only he could beat Trump. In reality, it wasn't the case then, and it certainly isn't now.

I remember watching this during history class

But he didn't really have much choice as he wasn't going get the nomination.

I think the problem isn't so much that the Democrats think that Biden is the only one who can win against Trump, but rather it's the presidential system itself. Even though Biden is a Democrat, there isn't a party structure that he is the head of. He's running under his own steam essentially although of course he represents them. That's why Trump became president representing the Republicans, even though he'd never actually held any political office. So there isn't the equivalent of the 'men in grey suits'. in say the Conservative Party, who can step in.

The problem for the Democrats is/was that it's very hard for another Democrat to go against a sitting president. Someone like Gavin Newsom, who is talked about as a potential president, would have known that he was unlikely to get the Democratic nomination if he ran against Biden. Among other reasons, he wouldn't have been able to finance his campaign as the main donors are behind Biden. He would also have been seen as disloyal and when he inevitably lost, that would damage any future campaigns.

Ordinarily Harris would be the automatic pick for the next election, but I expect people like Newson will challenge her as she has proved to be such a poor VP and is really unpopular. And her unpopularity is another problem for the Democrats, because that's another line of attack for Trump; vote for Sleepy Joe and likely get Harris at some point.

The Democrats really have got themselves into a pickle now over Biden's mental fitness, or rather lack of. The only way out is for Biden himself to decide to step down. Unfortunately, the person whose mental faculties are declining, for whatever reason, is always the last to recognise and accept this. There's no excuse for Jill Biden though. Even on a human level, I find it hard to understand how anyone could let their loved one endure such pressure knowing that they're not well. Has she tried and failed to get him to stand down so is now just trying to manage the situation? Or is she too hooked on the trappings of power to do the right thing? I expect it's the latter.
That is what I really cannot understand. How can his wife see what an absolute state he is in, yet rather than step up and remove him from the situation she lets him go on and make even more of a fool of himself knowing that he's clearly not well or coping with the pressure of it all. It says a lot about what kind of person she is.

I do wonder though, from an "occams razor" type view, whether the fact that his wife seemingly hasn't said anything shows that he's not actually as bad as people might think.

Reactions: 2
I do wonder though, from an "occams razor" type view, whether the fact that his wife seemingly hasn't said anything shows that he's not actually as bad as people might think.
So he keeps his best behaviour for when he's at home and not in the public eye and saves his severe geriatric behaviour for when he is on the world stage?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
That is what I really cannot understand. How can his wife see what an absolute state he is in, yet rather than step up and remove him from the situation she lets him go on and make even more of a fool of himself knowing that he's clearly not well or coping with the pressure of it all. It says a lot about what kind of person she is.
Maybe she has tried. I imagine he's quite a mean, stubborn old goat.

Reactions: 6