Jimmy Savile

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Good grief, I hate looking at this man. He scared LT by getting his home address, obviously he was no stranger to intimidation. I'd like to know who else was involved, someone mentioned the royals 🧐

Reactions: 18
After he died I remember one woman on different chat shows saying she was his child. She looked a bit like him. Everyone was saying she was after his estate.
His gravestone was huge as it had all his accomplishments engraved on it as per his request. Then after the story broke it got ground down into tiny pieces.
As much as I read at the time I don’t remember how or why his hideous crimes eventually made headlines, after everything being hushed up for so long, despite people reporting him. Anyone remember?
Yes everyone started going to the papers/media and they published it because he was dead and could no longer sue them.

Reactions: 6
Yes everyone started going to the papers/media and they published it because he was dead and could no longer sue them.
I guess everyone was too scared to do so while he was alive. Especially given his connections 😞

Reactions: 10
I guess everyone was too scared to do so while he was alive. Especially given his connections 😞
His autobiography includes a tale about him visiting an illegal out-of-hours drinking establishment run by a gangster he was friends with, and a high-ranking policeman or detective he was also friends with coming in one night. Although ostensibly a humorous anecdote, it was plainly sending out the subliminal message of how Savile had powerful contacts on both sides of the law.

• Sad
Reactions: 24
On YouTube there is the episode of Crimes That Shook Britain about him. His nephew was taken by a grooming gang and Savile turned up at the house with more kids in tow. The nephew thought “Uncle Jimmy” was there to rescue him. Now he realises that he wasn’t.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 34
I was very disappointed with the documentary. Much of it was behavioural ‘experts’ looking at his interviews and drawing conclusions which they already knew to be true. There is a lot of focus on an interview with Andrew Neill. It is clear he is trying to get Savile to open up but he doesn’t play ball. Couldn’t be clearer everybody knew.

Didn’t the theme tune start ‘your letter is only the start of it’?

They knew
Agreed about the documentary, I assumed it was going to be good from the preview. I watched it yesterday evening but it did not really tell us anything new, like you say. Although I had not seen the banana thing before and it was very strange behaviour indeed, although everything about him was.. I would bizarre but it's more than that - creepy, eery, unsettling. I've seen better documentaries on TV about him.

Oh, they definitely knew.

Reactions: 12
I live in the same area he lived and it was widely known that he was into very young girls. I've said on here before all what I know, so everyone will have read what I wrote last time.
What was very very bad was that the BBC knew and a programme was made about him being a paedophile and another one commemorating his death. Guess which one was shown? Also he used to have a meeting with top Police and others in authority at his flat once per week, and they used to deal with any allegations of his crimes. I mean WTF was going on?. He must have had things on them to be able to do that. How he was allowed to offend for so long is an absolute disgrace and no one has been held to account for it ever.

Reactions: 29
He had friends in high places, I believe he spent Xmas with Thatcher at chequers

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
I find it all so strange, it's not like he was charming in any way shape or form, not funny or witty in any way that I could see.

Reactions: 27
I remember watching 'Jim'll Fix it' as a child and hating Saville them. Couldn't stand his creepy face, ghastly tracksuits and his horrible yodelly voice. I remember my mum suggesting that I should write in to the show and I told her that I didn't want to meet him!

Unfortunately I can't claim any great insight here as I used to love Rolf Harris because he was a brilliant artist. He used to paint in a really amazing way and it was his influence that got me into art as a child. I was absolutely gutted when I found out what he'd been up to years later.

Anyway like everyone else I was appalled when all the revelations about Saville came out but I do get a bit annoyed with people accusing everyone else of a cover up like it was their fault. Saville was a very forceful and evil person. He cultivated friends in high places right up to royalty. He hid behind his charitable ventures and if anyone challenged him he would go for the throat.

I remember watching the Louis Theroux documentary and thought that Louis went about as far as he could get away with probing Saville. I'm sure he must have suspected what an awful personality he was dealing with but how could Louis Theroux actually prove anything when Saville's victims were too scared to speak out?

The criminal predator was Saville, blaming others for not outing him is underestimating the evil person that he was.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Then the following year the truth came out... how did it get kept covered up and why did everyone protect him?
This was because this greasy bastard threatened to sue, like he did with The Sun, except The Sun had photographic evidence that he had visited the children's home and he backed off. It would not surprise me if he had blackmail material on people to cover his ass. At the end of it all, if they did't have concrete evidence of it happening, anyone who didn't fear this creepy asshole willing to come forward, the cops couldn't do anything.

JS, like a media outlet once said, he groomed a nation. Take the charity work for instance;that was a complete smokescreen that served a dual purpose. JS's ego is boosted, he gains brownie points in the eyes of the public, he is doing good and then he gains access to influencial people and potential victims.

I find it all so strange, it's not like he was charming in any way shape or form, not funny or witty in any way that I could see
No he wasn't, but back then in the 70s and 80s, I remember Britain being this quaint and cloistered place. The newspaper could make or break people. Three tv channels and BBC ruled the joint. Radio 1 was THE pop station and by extension their DJs were stars in their own right seen on TOTP. Old creepster had his family friendly show going great guns. I knew it was country with a larger population than my own, but it always felt like it operated like a small town.

Saville was a very forceful and evil person
A nasty piece of work.

Reactions: 18
I remember watching 'Jim'll Fix it' as a child and hating Saville them. Couldn't stand his creepy face, ghastly tracksuits and his horrible yodelly voice. I remember my mum suggesting that I should write in to the show and I told her that I didn't want to meet him!

Unfortunately I can't claim any great insight here as I used to love Rolf Harris because he was a brilliant artist. He used to paint in a really amazing way and it was his influence that got me into art as a child. I was absolutely gutted when I found out what he'd been up to years later.

Anyway like everyone else I was appalled when all the revelations about Saville came out but I do get a bit annoyed with people accusing everyone else of a cover up like it was their fault. Saville was a very forceful and evil person. He cultivated friends in high places right up to royalty. He hid behind his charitable ventures and if anyone challenged him he would go for the throat.

I remember watching the Louis Theroux documentary and thought that Louis went about as far as he could get away with probing Saville. I'm sure he must have suspected what an awful personality he was dealing with but how could Louis Theroux actually prove anything when Saville's victims were too scared to speak out?

The criminal predator was Saville, blaming others for not outing him is underestimating the evil person that he was.
Excellent points and love the bit about his yodelling voice. I thought he was vile and he made my skin crawl. I never saw through Rolf either I loved watching him paint I thought he was a nice guy and I was v shocked when his disgusting behaviour was revealed.

Reactions: 15
No he wasn't, but back then in the 70s and 80s, I remember Britain being this quaint and cloistered place. The newspaper could make or break people. Three tv channels and BBC ruled the joint. Radio 1 was THE pop station and by extension their DJs were stars in their own right seen on TOTP. Old creepster had his family friendly show going great guns.
That sort of media monopoly is gone forever in the days of the internet.

Reactions: 12
This was because this greasy bastard threatened to sue, like he did with The Sun, except The Sun had photographic evidence that he had visited the children's home and he backed off. It would not surprise me if he had blackmail material on people to cover his ass. At the end of it all, if they did't have concrete evidence of it happening, anyone who didn't fear this creepy asshole willing to come forward, the cops couldn't do anything.

JS, like a media outlet once said, he groomed a nation. Take the charity work for instance;that was a complete smokescreen that served a dual purpose. JS's ego is boosted, he gains brownie points in the eyes of the public, he is doing good and then he gains access to influencial people and potential victims.

No he wasn't, but back then in the 70s and 80s, I remember Britain being this quaint and cloistered place. The newspaper could make or break people. Three tv channels and BBC ruled the joint. Radio 1 was THE pop station and by extension their DJs were stars in their own right seen on TOTP. Old creepster had his family friendly show going great guns. I knew it was country with a larger population than my own, but it always felt like it operated like a small town.
Yes you make an excellent point here. People who are too young to remember the 70s and 80s can't really grasp that the establishment had total control over people. There was limited media coverage compared to today and those at the top seemed very remote to the general population. There was little you could do to challenge the status quo.

Sure you could voice your opinions to your mates down the pub but actually having a platform to challenge the establishment in any effective way was very difficult in those days and completely different to now.

Also women were often not believed if they reported rape or assault. In the 1980s I had a boss who regularly tried to grope me. When I complained to the HR department about how he treated me I was told in no uncertain terms that he was very important as a Director of the company and I was not. It was suggested that I should leave if I didn't like it!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
Yes you make an excellent point here. People who are too young to remember the 70s and 80s can't really grasp that the establishment had total control over people. There was limited media coverage compared to today and those at the top seemed very remote to the general population. There was little you could do to challenge the status quo.

Sure you could voice your opinions to your mates down the pub but actually having a platform to challenge the establishment in any effective way was very difficult in those days and completely different to now.

Also women were often not believed if they reported rape or assault. In the 1980s I had a boss who regularly tried to grope me. When I complained to the HR department about how he treated me I was told in no uncertain terms that he was very important as a Director of the company and I was not. It was suggested that I should leave if I didn't like it!
in the 70's or 80's Radio 1 DJ's could make or break a singles chart performance. Madness released a song called 'Cardiac Arrest' which talk about a man overstressing about work, and asking him to calm down and relax before he has a heart attack (which he does). As a Radio 1 DJ's family member had had a heart attack 6 months before, Radio 1 banned it, so it was the first Madness song not to get into the top 10. The writer of record was incensed pointing out that he own father had had a heart attack, and it was a song designed to try to get people to relax so they didn't have heart attacks!!!

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.