Jimmy Savile

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
in the 70's or 80's Radio 1 DJ's could make or break a singles chart performance. Madness released a song called 'Cardiac Arrest' which talk about a man overstressing about work, and asking him to calm down and relax before he has a heart attack (which he does). As a Radio 1 DJ's family member had had a heart attack 6 months before, Radio 1 banned it, so it was the first Madness song not to get into the top 10. The writer of record was incensed pointing out that he own father had had a heart attack, and it was a song designed to try to get people to relax so they didn't have heart attacks!!!
Banning could work the other way! Remember Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood?

Reactions: 19
Banning could work the other way! Remember Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood?
That only worked because of all the publicity the song had already received.

In the 70s and 80s DJs chose their playlists and if they decided not to play your record then that was it for you, no exposure and no sales. It was very controlled un those days.

Reactions: 10
I don’t know whether any of you are fans of the crime writer Val McDermid, but she has a character in a couple of her books that were based on Savile. The characters name is ‘Jacko Vance’, he’s a celebrity paedophile who abducts, rapes and murders young girls. The first book he features in was published in 1997, and the fact the character is based on Savile is unmistakable when reading the book. She’s since admittedly publicly that she wrote the character based on interviews with Savile that she did during her time as a journalist in the late 70’s and rumours that were circulating even that far back.

• Wow
Reactions: 33
I don’t know whether any of you are fans of the crime writer Val McDermid, but she has a character in a couple of her books that were based on Savile. The characters name is ‘Jacko Vance’, he’s a celebrity paedophile who abducts, rapes and murders young girls. The first book he features in was published in 1997, and the fact the character is based on Savile is unmistakable when reading the book. She’s since admittedly publicly that she wrote the character based on interviews with Savile that she did during her time as a journalist in the late 70’s and rumours that were circulating even that far back.
I wonder if Savile ever committed murder?

• Wow
Reactions: 13
Wow I might check that book out!
Rumours weren't enough to challenge people like Saville in those days. You had to be able to prove it and someone like Saville could get anyone fired easily if they tried to challenge him. That's why I think it's a bit unfair to put the blame on people who suspected him or others like him because the reality was that there was little people could really do in those days.

Remember the real criminal was Saville, not those around him who knew that if they tried to expose him that they would be ridiculed, possibly prosecuted and would lose their jobs.

Reactions: 20
Rumours weren't enough to challenge people like Saville in those days. You had to be able to prove it and someone like Saville could get anyone fired easily if they tried to challenge him. That's why I think it's a bit unfair to put the blame on people who suspected him or others like him because the reality was that there was little people could really do in those days.

Remember the real criminal was Saville, not those around him who knew that if they tried to expose him that they would be ridiculed, possibly prosecuted and would lose their jobs.

I agree to an extent but Esther Rantzen was in a position of power and could have done something. The fact that she started ChildLine speaks volumes IMVHO.

Reactions: 22
I grew up in London and we used to look out for him in the marathon, it went past my nan's house. He was like a hero to kids growing up in thr 80s.

There was some coverage of him abusing kids who were disabled in a hospital ward. Kids who weren't able to speak etc. Horror beyond words.

It was a bit after that the ridiculously big, chavvy memorial was removed. The family refused to accept the allegations for a week or two.

Reactions: 12
I agree to an extent but Esther Rantzen was in a position of power and could have done something. The fact that she started ChildLine speaks volumes IMVHO.
Remember Esther is a woman and women weren't taken seriously when they complained about sexual predators. Despite the fact that she was well known on TV at the time she got the job through her husband.

Unless she had concrete evidence anything that she would say could be deemed 'hearsay' and as a woman her word would never have been taken as seriously as that of a man's in those days.

Knowing how women were treated at that time makes me feel sorry for her as she probably felt powerless. At least she did set up Childline and she should be given some credit for that.

Reactions: 22
I guess we’ll never know about his involvement in any murders. I do remember seeing quite a lot of stuff online suggesting there might be links between the disappearance and murder of the Hebden Bridge schoolgirl Lindsay Jo Rimer. Savile holidayed in a caravan very close by. There’s also been speculation that Savile might be the serial killer ‘Bible John’ but that seems less likely. He was also very friendly with Peter Sutcliffe during his visits to Broadmoor.

• Wow
Reactions: 19
Remember Esther is a woman and women weren't taken seriously when they complained about sexual predators. Despite the fact that she was well known on TV at the time she got the job through her husband.

Unless she had concrete evidence anything that she would say could be deemed 'hearsay' and as a woman her word would never have been taken as seriously as that of a man's in those days.

Knowing how women were treated at that time makes me feel sorry for her as she probably felt powerless. At least she did set up Childline and she should be given some credit for that.

She could have used her husband to make the claims. Sorry, I just find her nauseating.

Reactions: 12
She could have used her husband to make the claims. Sorry, I just find her nauseating.
Well I'm not a fan of Esther either but her husband wouldn't have put his career on the line unless he could prove anything because he would have been threatened with legal action in a heartbeat. Saville had a huge amount of power and influence that is difficult for anyone to grasp now.

• Angry
Reactions: 11
This is no excuse at all but it was all so different then. I remember the term 'kiddie fiddler' being bandied about when I was growing up and people just seemed to accept that some men were creepy and kept away from them but not enough to warrant any police involvement. It's awful.

Thinking about it, I thought most of those TV presenters were weird old men in some, way, shape or form - Forsyth, Savile, that guy from 'It's a knock out'.....

The whole concept of consent was very blurred too. I've said this before but I remember watching an old Carry on film where part of the 'plot' featured a young, posh woman deciding to travel on her own by train (think it was 'up the khybe'r). She was warned it wasn't safe as men would 'have their way with her' but she went anyway. There followed a scene where a succession of men went into the train carriage and pulled the blinds down. So we were supposed to think she was either just accepting of it all or was being raped and it was all a 'laugh'. Times have changed a great deal and all the better for it. I still can't see how he could get away with it all though. The sheer scale was horrific.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
This is no excuse at all but it was all so different then. I remember the term 'kiddie fiddler' being bandied about when I was growing up and people just seemed to accept that some men were creepy and kept away from them but not enough to warrant any police involvement. It's awful.

Thinking about it, I thought most of those TV presenters were weird old men in some, way shape or form - Forsyth, Savile, that guy from 'It's a knock out'.....

The whole concept of consent was very blurred too. I've said this before but I remember watching an old Carry on film where part of the 'plot' featured a young, posh woman deciding to travel on her own by train (think it was 'up the khybe'r). She was warned it wasn't safe as men would 'have their way with her' but she went anyway. There followed a scene where a succession of men went into the train carriage and pulled the blinds down. So we were supposed to think she was either just accepting of it all or was being raped and it was all a 'laugh'. Times have changed a great deal and all the better for it. I still can't see how he could get away with it all though. The sheer scale was horrific.
Oh god yes, it was assumed that the young woman in question would be delighted with all the male attention it was quite sickening.🤮

The point I was trying to make was that it's easy to look back and say why didn't any women do anything without realising what they were up against at the time. Sexism was everywhere.

When I was a child I used to watch 'Miss World' on the TV. Never at any time did I think it was dreadful that the girls were just being judged on their looks and that sashaying down a catwalk draped in a mink coat was wrong. It never occurred to me! Now you can say that I was a dumbass not to have grasped that but the vast majority just accepted that as the norm.

In sitcoms at the time there were only 2 types of women - the sexy young girl that all the men lusted after or the middle aged battleaxe (all other women over 35). Stereotypes were everywhere.
Young attractive women were just there for men to paw and older women weren't taken seriously and ridiculed.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
I do not understand all this hate towards Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris and Gary Glitter, all these people wanted to do was settle down and have kids !!;)
Hilarious 🙄

I thought it was a bit unfair, Piers Morgan asking Johnny Rotten if he did anything about JS...he spoke out and was banned so he was hardly going to get a warm welcome reporting it to the Director General of the BBC. And it seems the rumours were rife even back in the 70s but JS really was untouchable.

Another recommendation for ‘In Plain Sight’, it’s a fascinating and horrifying read.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
Do you know, I recently remembered something from my childhood that only now can I see was wrong. When I was about 9 I went on a school trip with another school and on the first night after we had spent the day camping, we had showers. There was one bathroom and one of the male teachers stood and supervised all the girls coming in and out of the shower. At the time it seemed perfectly innocuous (and he didn't touch anyone or anything) but he stared at us all intently. In hindsight, it was extremely yucky.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
I can't with this. Like seriously. How the duck was this allowed to continue?

Well we know why, because they didn't give a tit about the lives of the children he ruined as long as he was making the BBC money.

This site has been a real eye opener, l'm beginning to think only non celebs are normal...!

Last edited:
Reading this there at till midnight last night, then had dreams of being chased by him. Awful.
Has anyone heard the supposed link between Diana and Jill Dando? Both knew the extent of the link between saville and the royals. Could be just wild theorys or there could be something in it.

Reactions: 14
Hilarious 🙄

I thought it was a bit unfair, Piers Morgan asking Johnny Rotten if he did anything about JS...he spoke out and was banned so he was hardly going to get a warm welcome reporting it to the Director General of the BBC. And it seems the rumours were rife even back in the 70s but JS really was untouchable.

Another recommendation for ‘In Plain Sight’, it’s a fascinating and horrifying read.
Right, especially when you wonder if Morgan himself may heard things himself being editor of one of the biggest tabloids at that time.

I've just purchased the book on Kindle.

I read somewhere that he had access to a hospital morgue and liked spending time with dead bodies alone

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.