Jesy Nelson #2 Is she back or white? Either way her song is sh..

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't recall Xtina ever receiving such backlash after her "Can't hold us down" video though. :unsure: That was a quite obvious black fishing...

View attachment 801826
If she did it now she would, times have (thankfully) moved forward, well in some aspects anyway. But you are very much right - just as unacceptable. However I think a huge difference is, Jesy has been called out so many times on blackfishing and she shows blatant disregard, even when her own bandmate and supposedly 'sister' went through everything she did. Christina hasn't acted like this in many moons and I'd like to think it was more a sign of the times than her own selfishness. People did alot of dodgy tit 20 years ago that wouldn't happen now. Jesy is still doing it.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
I find it utterly ridiculous and more than a little concerning that in 2021 there still needs to be explanations of why blackfishing and cultural appropriation is not okay.

ETA - Jesy has shown a blatant disregard for educating herself when concerns have been raised. This screams of someone who only wants to take the positive aspects of a cultural and use them for her own gain, while disregarding how those of that culture feel about her actions.

• Heart
Reactions: 73
I don’t think her new single is that great but I can’t agree with this whole black fishing thing. You can’t win these days, if she said she doesn’t like black culture, rnb music etc she would be called racist, when she does say it she’s accused of black fishing. People talking about her tan? I mean, is there a tan limit that white people now can’t cross? Feels like this is the latest buzzword that everyone wants to get hysterical about and it’s getting really boring.
The tan limit you speak of, in my opinion, is crossed when countless people think you’re mixed race when in fact you are caucasian. Many people have posted tweets and such where they’re genuinely surprised that Jesy isn’t black at all.

Those who are black are ridiculed and shamed for the bodily and facial features e.g their kinky/curly hair, dark skin tone, etc. But they cannot change these things. A black fisher, however, can take off the extreme tan or change their hair style easily when they get tired of it or don’t feel like it suits them anymore. It’s much deeper than tanning though.

Reactions: 33
I find it utterly ridiculous and more than a little concerning that in 2021 there still needs to be explanations of why blackfishing and cultural appropriation is not okay.

ETA - Jesy has shown a blatant disregard for educating herself when concerns have been raised. This screams of someone who only wants to take the positive aspects of a cultural and use them for her own gain, while disregarding how those of that culture feel about her actions.
It's quite ironic actually because she clearly finds black culture beautiful - and rightfully so. But what's really interesting to me is how she's happy to use black culture as a 'look' or 'image' for popularity, while being completely ignorant of the fact there was one mixed race and one black girl stood by her side for 10 years, who have directly told her how much harder they have had to work to get the same level of recognition, just because of that 'look'. Yet Jesy does it and gets instant #1 and can see no problem with this.

She knows, she just doesn't give a duck because remember Leigh "deals with it better" witch get out.

Reactions: 63
I just think everyone wants to jump on the new buzz word and get hysterical about it. Everyone knows she’s white, she’s spent the last 10 years in little mix. It’s ridiculous saying she’s too tanned. On the one hand we are meant to let people be who they want to be, whether that be trans, lgbt etc but then on the other she’s not allowed to do what she want. If she wants to wear dark tan and sing rnb then she’s allowed to right? Where is the line, it’s becoming ridiculous. Anyway, I’ll leave you guys to carry on about what a horrible racist she is 👍🏻
Is that you Jesy

• Haha
Reactions: 32
I don't recall Xtina ever receiving such backlash after her "Can't hold us down" video though. :unsure: That was a quite obvious black fishing...

View attachment 801826
That could be said for ANY offensive thing that’s ever happened in the past. Times change, and times change fast. What some people may of turned a blind eye to 10, 20 heck even 2yrs ago is no longer the case, thats doesn’t make it ok for that time. But what we do as people is learn from such situations and learn from those minorities crying out, calling out people and stand by them rather than continue to turn a blind eye and point fingers at other people!

Reactions: 32
Its not even just about the tan, it´s the lyrics, the video. People should look up some black tiktokers who are talking about this and get educated. If you think it is ok what she is doing, that is very sad. All of it is cultural appropriation. She is turning into the next Rachel Dolezal.

Reactions: 24

View attachment 801826
That song came out nearly 20 years ago, we didn't have the social media platforms to discuss these things like we do now. If it came out today it would have been discussed as blackfishing.

Reactions: 35
lmao long time lurker here

im black and defs agree that im not about to riot in the streets because a celeb can’t beat the blackfishing allegations BUT i will say i think it’s super disingenuous for jesy to give all of these “rah rah love yourself” lil interviews when she doesn’t even look like herself??? sends a weird message to me lol like im not even against people wanting to get cosmetic enhancements i just want for them to own up to it

• Heart
Reactions: 75
The absolute ignorance of some people that can’t see what’s actually so wrong with what she’s doing and the fact it’s mainly all white people saying it speaks volumes sorry 🙈

Reactions: 35
Leigh, Jade and Perrie have all unfollowed Jesy… their new song really is fitting for her now.

• Wow
Reactions: 53
It's physically painful that you think Jesy's behaviour is the equivalent of saying someone can't eat Indian food or use products from another country. And unbelievably disrespectful to say the least. The issues people are raising are duck all to do with 'being down on Jesy for her appearance'. Honestly the fact that there are still people can't see the issue here, shows how much of a problem it really is.

I'm white so while I may find your initial statement disgusting, I hope you realise there are many black, mixed or women of many other races in this thread and saying that to them is horrific beyond belief. You don't get to tell people how they feel about their own cultures and experiences.
And as you don't know anything at all about my background or family you are making a lot of assumptions which are all wrong. So climb down off your high horse.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
And as you don't know anything at all about my background or family you are making a lot of assumptions which are all wrong. So climb down off your high horse.
can we all at least agree that jesy’s pores have to be crying out for help?

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Point to where any assumptions were made. Good luck, because there wasn't any. They were all comments to *your own* statements. If you are referring to your skin tone, sure I know nothing on that - but it isn't relevant. You could be white, asian, black, none if it matters, if someone else feels their culture is being appropriated and you tell them to shut the duck up about that - that is disgusting, it doesn't matter if you have the same culture as them. It is invalidating someone elses struggles just because you don't feel the same way. That is never ok and to be honest worse if you are indeed black, know what fellow black women have faced and still don't give a tit.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.