Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

KINGAA

VIP Member
I don’t think her new single is that great but I can’t agree with this whole black fishing thing. You can’t win these days, if she said she doesn’t like black culture, rnb music etc she would be called racist, when she does say it and imitate it she’s accused of black fishing. Feels like this is the latest buzzword that everyone wants to get hysterical about and it’s getting really boring.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 226

Achilles

I don’t think her new single is that great but I can’t agree with this whole black fishing thing. You can’t win these days, if she said she doesn’t like black culture, rnb music etc she would be called racist, when she does say it and imitate it she’s accused of black fishing. Is Eminem black fishing? Feels like this is the latest buzzword that everyone wants to get hysterical about and it’s getting really boring.
You can like black culture and music without trying to look black yourself. People who don't know Jesy are thinking she is a black/mixed woman because she wears such dark fake tan, wears massive curly wigs, injects her lips so much, etc. No one has ever looked at Eminem and thought he was a black/biracial man!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 213

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I don’t think her new single is that great but I can’t agree with this whole black fishing thing. You can’t win these days, if she said she doesn’t like black culture, rnb music etc she would be called racist, when she does say it she’s accused of black fishing. People talking about her tan? I mean, is there a tan limit that white people now can’t cross? Feels like this is the latest buzzword that everyone wants to get hysterical about and it’s getting really boring.
I think racism is being dragged into a lot of arguments (unnecessarily) lately.
But I urge you to research black fishing, it’s actually very interesting, it’s not about liking Beyoncé and wearing fake tan,
It’s about taking all the positive attributes from being a black woman and benefiting from them, whilst never understanding the struggles that black women face on the daily because of these attributes,
I’m not in a position to explain it but from what I’ve read I can see why it’s an issue.

• Heart
Reactions: 191

Bbbexster

I don’t think her new single is that great but I can’t agree with this whole black fishing thing. You can’t win these days, if she said she doesn’t like black culture, rnb music etc she would be called racist, when she does say it she’s accused of black fishing. People talking about her tan? I mean, is there a tan limit that white people now can’t cross? Feels like this is the latest buzzword that everyone wants to get hysterical about and it’s getting really boring.

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 167

jackolantern

VIP Member
People need to shut up about cultural appropration as it's fucking nonsense. Where does it end? We won't be able to eat Indian food soon or wear pyjamas or do anything that didn't originate in our own country 🙄
And how exactly does this benefit anyone in the world?

Honestly I think Jesy is a pathetic little twat and the music and fashion is hideous. It's a bit rich that everyone is jumping on her though as she's not the only woman in the world who puts on too much fake tan, has those gross duck lips or wears her hair curly. Enough already.

Why on earth is this thread dedicated to being down on Jesy for her appearance?
I'm definitely not a fan of her hideous taste in fashion but that's her choice.
What we should be criticising here is her lack of originality or talent.

Does she have any ability as a songwriter or musician? I'm guessing that she doesn't, so her solo career probably isn't going to last very long anyway.
It's physically painful that you think Jesy's behaviour is the equivalent of saying someone can't eat Indian food or use products from another country. And unbelievably disrespectful to say the least. The issues people are raising are fuck all to do with 'being down on Jesy for her appearance'. Honestly the fact that there are still people can't see the issue here, shows how much of a problem it really is.

I'm white so while I may find your initial statement disgusting, I hope you realise there are many black, mixed or women of many other races in this thread and saying that to them is horrific beyond belief. You don't get to tell people how they feel about their own cultures and experiences.

• Heart
Reactions: 146

orlyb1310

VIP Member
People in the UK don’t know Jesy is white. I wouldn’t call myself a huge little mix fan but I’ve casually followed their careers and liked many of their songs since the xfactor days and I only learnt a few months ago that Jesy is 100% white. Having curly hair or a bit of a tan isn’t the issue - obviously they’re not attributes exclusive to black people. It’s the extent to which she goes to make herself appear racially ambiguous because racial ambiguity sells. The durags, the stereotypical street wear etc. Entirely different to your classic Essex or Scouse white girls who love a fake tan but look orange, not mixed race. But tbh, the whole lip filler, BBL rise is because the curvaceous bodies of WOC are now ‘in style’ whereas years ago, black women were bullied for their features (and tbh big bums and big lips are still much more appreciated when they’re on white women or lighter skinned WOC). At the end of the day, Jesy can take out the extensions, scrub off the fake tan, dissolve the lip fillers and she won’t be subjected to racism like Leigh Anne, Jade and all the other people of colour in the music industry and beyond are. If the blackfishing wasn’t enough, the whole message of the song is just inappropriate and she has a lot of explaining to do. Of course she isn’t the first to do it. Cardi B said she didn’t even consider herself black a few years ago and now she doesn’t have a single song where she isn’t saying the N word. Gwen Stefani, P!nk, Xtina etc were doing it more subtly 20 years ago. Even Ariana Grande has been accused of it. Jesy’s is the most blatant and disgusting case of blackfishing and cultural appropriation I’ve seen in recent times in western music though. It’s so rife in the kpop industry too. So yes it is serious and it isn’t just a bunch of people on the internet trying to be ‘woke’. Telling a large portion of black people that they’re being hysterical and are over-reacting is gaslighty and racist.

• Heart
Reactions: 142

jackolantern

VIP Member
I don’t think her new single is that great but I can’t agree with this whole black fishing thing. You can’t win these days, if she said she doesn’t like black culture, rnb music etc she would be called racist, when she does say it and imitate it she’s accused of black fishing. Is Eminem black fishing? Feels like this is the latest buzzword that everyone wants to get hysterical about and it’s getting really boring.
257205.jpeg

Come again? This isn't even close to the best example of her blackfishing - but it is the only photo I could find of her *actual* skintone as a white woman, which tells you everything you need to know. She has literally blackfished so long history has her basically written as a mixed race woman.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 131
I think people are missing the point that Jesy is using the fetishisation of black men being “bad boys” to her advantage financially and musically. She is also being very ethnically ambiguous to advantage her.

I was talking to my OH (a black man) about this Jesy business. He says he must count as a bad boy because of the amount of times he has been stopped and searched for simply looking the way he does. And it breaks my heart knowing that our son will only experience the same. Because in this day and age it is cool for white people to be black to benefit them but they have the ability to turn that off for their white privilege to reengage within acceptable societal norms.

He wants me to also tell you all that the song is shit too....

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 123

AdApathy

VIP Member
I'm mixed race and it absolutely boils my piss that some white people are acting like what Jesy is doing is fine. NO it isn't.

Reactions: 117

urghmummybloggers

VIP Member
Just in case my original post was missed...Christina Aguilera is mixed race. She's half latina...her father is ecuadorian.

Let's not compare a mixed race artist to a white lass from romford thinking she's from the hood with her grills and homies.....
This….. she’s a Latina woman who was born in New York and could have been heavily influenced by the chola aesthetic growing up.

Not Jesy Nelson from fucking Romford who shagged a love island contestant for a bit and is now out here wearing basketball shorts and riding around on low ride bikes talking about bad boyz with an all black male line up behind her.

Genuinely baffled at how people don’t see any issue with that - calm down Julie, no ones coming for your Saturday night curry, we just don’t want white women backfishing and treating our culture as a fashion statement to sell a shit single.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 114

GossWhore

VIP Member
First question. Are YOU black??????????
From the way you contextualise this I would say 1000000% no so please respectfully stay outta black people business. Respectfully

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 106

jackolantern

VIP Member
She's so fucking narcissistic it's nauseating. Proper eyefucking herself in every selfie, no confidence my arse.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 99

peachesncreammm

Chatty Member
Something doesn’t sit right with me about this guy going after a young black woman, who has newborn twins, at 10 o clock at night, being upset by her former band mate capitalising off the very same culture that she gets scrutinised for.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 96

jackolantern

VIP Member
She is a shit singer
With a shit song
From a shit girl group
Who were put together on a shit tv show

None of them are talented or likeable, and they will all be totally controlled by their management - from their God awful videos, to whoever they collab with.

I am so glad I have never liked manufactured pop music - getting my knickers in a twist about a group called 'Little Mix' and an ugly bint called Jesy Nelson ffs...
I mean you've taken the effort to come into a thread about song and video you hate, from a genre you hate, by a person you hate, who used to be in a band you hate, from a show you hate. Seems to me, your knickers are indeed fairly strongly in a twist if at no point in that chain did you not stop and think, what a fucking waste of my time? :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 95

Damocles

Chatty Member
Thanks to me for the winning thread title with 70+ votes.

previous thread here

Quick recap...

after what seems like forever, she finally released her debut solo song "Boyz".

It isn't very good, infact Its safe to say its fucking awful.

She loves black music, black culture so thats her get out blackfishing jail free card..

I love curry but I don't call myself Sanjay do I...

claims her team runs her socials when asked about the deleting of comments regarding the blackfishing allegations..

You may continue....

• Haha
Reactions: 95

Ceecee3

I don't recall Xtina ever receiving such backlash after her "Can't hold us down" video though. :unsure: That was a quite obvious black fishing...

View attachment 801826
There was backlash - my friends and I were teens dissecting this and whether we felt honoured to see someone repping this tone/this aesthetic or annoyed that a white woman was being fawned over for this whilst we got made fun of for our style and skin tones. The white girls we knew didn't have the same conversations about it and why would they? They have no understanding of it. This was before twitter when they had no chance to stumble across black twitter dissecting this stuff.

The difference between Xtinas music video and 2021 is that now Buzzfeed and every journo out there LOVES to use race as part of their hottakes, so now white people hear about it all the time; much to their annoyance. But trust me, these critiques span decades if not longer in our communities. It's upsetting that hearing these critiques prompts mainly white people to tell us to shut up tbh....
Also, it's not black twitters fault that the daily mail or buzzfeed take their comments on twitter to each other and make them into sensationalist headlines e.g. PEOPLE CALL JESY RACIST FOR NEW MUSIC VIDEO. Like wtf? That's not what people are doing? They're just side eyeing a white girl getting loved on for cosplaying black culture, a story as old as time for the poc communities tbh. It's not like we're fucking rioting over it? If anything it's led to memes that you've been enjoying? So I dont get the need to be defensive and butthurt tbh. I will never get over how fragile some people are about criticism like this. So hearing white people say PC gone mad and people are too sensitive feels hilarious considering we aren't asking for this coverage or for your opinions, we just want a space to critique same as anyone else does.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 90

Pinkii

VIP Member
jesy is very vocal about liking all things black- the music, the culture or whatever.. fine appreciate it, but where the fuck was her voice during the whole BLM movement after the the george incident? Considering she was in the band, where was her support for her ‘sister’ Leiganne and her document!?

She can’t pick and choose when she wants to ‘appreciate’ black culture.

for the ones who are on the fence about her blackfishing- take a look at lipstick alley (a forum for black women, mainly from USA) most of them thought she was mixed and are pissed as hell about the blackfishing.

• Heart
Reactions: 88

Ceecee3

You're entitled to your opinion. I just find it sad and sort of gaslighty when people call these kinds of criticisms 'hysterical' and 'boring' - sort of telling people that they're not allowed to feel annoyed that a white person is getting praise and profiting from something that black people get shit on for (e.g. talking about the hood, gold teeth, black women's style etc - ppl have always made fun of these things and looked down on them). It'd be like being white and having red hair and being teased for it all your life and then someone blonde going red and being fawning over it - as a redhead, you might find that annoying and upsetting given your own history of bullying and trauma around that and you're ENTITLED TO THOSE FEELINGS, and it's HELPFUL TO HAVE THOSE FEELINGS VALIDATED. It's not 'PC gone mad' to acknowledge double standards in society and the fact some people are so sensitive about acknowledging this stuff says it all about who the real snowflakes are lol. Maybe people in minorities have had enough of being told to shut up about their traumas and that's why it's being talked about so much now? Unless you're part of a black community, or poc, you might be unaware that poc have talked about this shit for DECADES but it's only now entering the popular vernacular. These aren't buzzwords, this is reality.
No two black people will have the same opinion and some black people might even agree with your take which again is their opinion but I'd hope you could try to be open-minded enough to see why some might levy this kind of criticism towards Jesy.
This kind of shit happens to lots of communities - e.g. poor white people being called chavs for wearing tracksuits but then all of a sudden loungewear becomes a bouji thing that rich people are adopting. People who grew up being called chavs are allowed to be miffed at that double standard.
Again, you're entitled to your opinion cos I know people who agree with you and I can see why but a little empathy here costs nothing - and might even help make the world a better place sometimes.
Of course, I also have had this conversation with plenty of people who've laughed in my face and said anyone who feels like that is too sensitive and needs to grow up so there's a chance I've wasted my emotional energy posting this reply lol

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 85