Jesy Nelson #2 Is she back or white? Either way her song is sh..

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just think everyone wants to jump on the new buzz word and get hysterical about it. Everyone knows she’s white, she’s spent the last 10 years in little mix. It’s ridiculous saying she’s too tanned. On the one hand we are meant to let people be who they want to be, whether that be trans, lgbt etc but then on the other she’s not allowed to do what she want. If she wants to wear dark tan and sing rnb then she’s allowed to right? Where is the line, it’s becoming ridiculous. Anyway, I’ll leave you guys to carry on about what a horrible racist she is 👍🏻
Tbh, as someone who's never been a massive follower of Little Mix, I thought she was mixed race

Reactions: 78
I just think everyone wants to jump on the new buzz word and get hysterical about it. Everyone knows she’s white, she’s spent the last 10 years in little mix. It’s ridiculous saying she’s too tanned. On the one hand we are meant to let people be who they want to be, whether that be trans, lgbt etc but then on the other she’s not allowed to do what she want. If she wants to wear dark tan and sing rnb then she’s allowed to right? Where is the line, it’s becoming ridiculous. Anyway, I’ll leave you guys to carry on about what a horrible racist she is 👍🏻
Your use is the word racist is flawed, noone is actually called her racist. She isn't prejudiced or antagonistic towards other cultures, she is appropriating them, it's a totally different subject and one you should look into properly if you are going to tell us we are wrong. I'm from the UK have followed Little Mix their entire career and genuinely had no idea she wasn't mixed. Also comparing this to trans and LGBT issues is honestly ridiculous.

It's not about he tan, it's not about her singing R&B, it's the *whole* package deal. There is so much more to this than those singular issues. Any of the ways she is behaving wouldn't be questioned if they were the only things, there are plenty of tanned girls, girls with curly hair, girls who sing R&B, girls who wear "street" fashion, who don't get accused of what Jesy is. Why is that? Because noone questions their race and it is appreciation not appropriation.

In the same way your Eminem argument makes no sense, has anyone ever questioned whether Eminem is white? Jesy is making a career of pretending to be something she isn't and in turn, having faced struggles she has no idea of (whilst also perpetuating some of the very negative stereotypes that have caused these struggles - a.k.a. black men are 'bad boyz'). That's the problem.

• Heart
Reactions: 71
I don’t think her new single is that great but I can’t agree with this whole black fishing thing. You can’t win these days, if she said she doesn’t like black culture, rnb music etc she would be called racist, when she does say it she’s accused of black fishing. People talking about her tan? I mean, is there a tan limit that white people now can’t cross? Feels like this is the latest buzzword that everyone wants to get hysterical about and it’s getting really boring.
First question. Are YOU black??????????
From the way you contextualise this I would say 1000000% no so please respectfully stay outta black people business. Respectfully

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 106
Just for clarification as I'm curious and I'm not really sure but I want to be taught so that I am aware .is none black people not allowed curly hair and stuff ? As I'm just a little confused .like my hair is straight but sometimes when I go out I curl it .is this not allowed ? As if so I won't do that anymore ?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
If you’re not black you have no business telling black people how to feel about issues of their own culture and identity.

^in response to what’s her face up there letting us know that white people should be allowed to do whatever the feck they want as usual.

(I am white.)

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Just for clarification as I'm curious and I'm not really sure but I want to be taught so that I am aware .is none black people not allowed curly hair and stuff ? As I'm just a little confused .like my hair is straight but sometimes when I go out I curl it .is this not allowed ? As if so I won't do that anymore ?
While people can have curly hair, lots of people do (myself included but I straighten it to death). It’s about how you wear it, as I said in a previous thread - Jess Glynne is a great example of what to do.

What not to do is tan yourself so you look darker than your black friends, coworkers and dress yourself in such a way to cement that!

Rachel Dolezal is a great person to read about, it’s basically what Jesy is doing!

• Heart
Reactions: 38
People need to shut up about cultural appropration as it's bleeping nonsense. Where does it end? We won't be able to eat Indian food soon or wear pyjamas or do anything that didn't originate in our own country 🙄
And how exactly does this benefit anyone in the world?

Honestly I think Jesy is a pathetic little twit and the music and fashion is hideous. It's a bit rich that everyone is jumping on her though as she's not the only woman in the world who puts on too much fake tan, has those gross duck lips or wears her hair curly. Enough already.

Why on earth is this thread dedicated to being down on Jesy for her appearance?
I'm definitely not a fan of her hideous taste in fashion but that's her choice.
What we should be criticising here is her lack of originality or talent.

Does she have any ability as a songwriter or musician? I'm guessing that she doesn't, so her solo career probably isn't going to last very long anyway.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 53
You can enjoy and celebrate other cultures without appropriating them… to do that you actually have to learn about the history and accept the notion of white privilege. Listen to the people from those cultures and what they say they are comfortable with and fight alongside them. Jesy has done none of these things, she has just said “well I like black culture so duck you”

• Heart
Reactions: 49
TBH, if she just had a dark tan and that’s it I don’t think many people would bat an eyelid. Just look at early TOWIE episodes and see the tans on those girls - just look at Lucy Meck for reference.

But reading through the thread, there’s a lot of issues around the way she’s singing with a Jamaican twang. The way she dresses in the video and the connotations of what a ‘bad boy’ is to her. It’s very inappropriate.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
People need to shut up about cultural appropration as it's bleeping nonsense. Where does it end? We won't be able to eat Indian food soon or wear pyjamas or do anything that didn't originate in our own country 🙄
And how exactly does this benefit anyone in the world?

Honestly I think Jesy is a pathetic little twit and the music and fashion is hideous. It's a bit rich that everyone is jumping on her though as she's not the only woman in the world who puts on too much fake tan, has those gross duck lips or wears her hair curly. Enough already.

Why on earth is this thread dedicated to being down on Jesy for her appearance?
I'm definitely not a fan of her hideous taste in fashion but that's her choice.
What we should be criticising here is her lack of originality or talent.

Does she have any ability as a songwriter or musician? I'm guessing that she doesn't, so her solo career probably isn't going to last very long anyway.
It's physically painful that you think Jesy's behaviour is the equivalent of saying someone can't eat Indian food or use products from another country. And unbelievably disrespectful to say the least. The issues people are raising are duck all to do with 'being down on Jesy for her appearance'. Honestly the fact that there are still people can't see the issue here, shows how much of a problem it really is.

I'm white so while I may find your initial statement disgusting, I hope you realise there are many black, mixed or women of many other races in this thread and saying that to them is horrific beyond belief. You don't get to tell people how they feel about their own cultures and experiences.

• Heart
Reactions: 146
People in the UK don’t know Jesy is white. I wouldn’t call myself a huge little mix fan but I’ve casually followed their careers and liked many of their songs since the xfactor days and I only learnt a few months ago that Jesy is 100% white. Having curly hair or a bit of a tan isn’t the issue - obviously they’re not attributes exclusive to black people. It’s the extent to which she goes to make herself appear racially ambiguous because racial ambiguity sells. The durags, the stereotypical street wear etc. Entirely different to your classic Essex or Scouse white girls who love a fake tan but look orange, not mixed race. But tbh, the whole lip filler, BBL rise is because the curvaceous bodies of WOC are now ‘in style’ whereas years ago, black women were bullied for their features (and tbh big bums and big lips are still much more appreciated when they’re on white women or lighter skinned WOC). At the end of the day, Jesy can take out the extensions, scrub off the fake tan, dissolve the lip fillers and she won’t be subjected to racism like Leigh Anne, Jade and all the other people of colour in the music industry and beyond are. If the blackfishing wasn’t enough, the whole message of the song is just inappropriate and she has a lot of explaining to do. Of course she isn’t the first to do it. Cardi B said she didn’t even consider herself black a few years ago and now she doesn’t have a single song where she isn’t saying the N word. Gwen Stefani, P!nk, Xtina etc were doing it more subtly 20 years ago. Even Ariana Grande has been accused of it. Jesy’s is the most blatant and disgusting case of blackfishing and cultural appropriation I’ve seen in recent times in western music though. It’s so rife in the kpop industry too. So yes it is serious and it isn’t just a bunch of people on the internet trying to be ‘woke’. Telling a large portion of black people that they’re being hysterical and are over-reacting is gaslighty and racist.

• Heart
Reactions: 142
Get a bloody clue people it isn't about the tan or having curly hair as loads of people use fake tan have curly hair. its about the fact she's ACTING like shes mixed race/black. Wearing grills, the way she dresses and the way she sings tbh Im surprised she not gone the whole hog and had braids in her hair.

Reactions: 79
I'm mixed race and it absolutely boils my piss that some white people are acting like what Jesy is doing is fine. NO it isn't.

Reactions: 117
I don’t think her new single is that great but I can’t agree with this whole black fishing thing. You can’t win these days, if she said she doesn’t like black culture, rnb music etc she would be called racist, when she does say it she’s accused of black fishing. People talking about her tan? I mean, is there a tan limit that white people now can’t cross? Feels like this is the latest buzzword that everyone wants to get hysterical about and it’s getting really boring.
You're entitled to your opinion. I just find it sad and sort of gaslighty when people call these kinds of criticisms 'hysterical' and 'boring' - sort of telling people that they're not allowed to feel annoyed that a white person is getting praise and profiting from something that black people get tit on for (e.g. talking about the hood, gold teeth, black women's style etc - ppl have always made fun of these things and looked down on them). It'd be like being white and having red hair and being teased for it all your life and then someone blonde going red and being fawning over it - as a redhead, you might find that annoying and upsetting given your own history of bullying and trauma around that and you're ENTITLED TO THOSE FEELINGS, and it's HELPFUL TO HAVE THOSE FEELINGS VALIDATED. It's not 'PC gone mad' to acknowledge double standards in society and the fact some people are so sensitive about acknowledging this stuff says it all about who the real snowflakes are lol. Maybe people in minorities have had enough of being told to shut up about their traumas and that's why it's being talked about so much now? Unless you're part of a black community, or poc, you might be unaware that poc have talked about this tit for DECADES but it's only now entering the popular vernacular. These aren't buzzwords, this is reality.
No two black people will have the same opinion and some black people might even agree with your take which again is their opinion but I'd hope you could try to be open-minded enough to see why some might levy this kind of criticism towards Jesy.
This kind of tit happens to lots of communities - e.g. poor white people being called chavs for wearing tracksuits but then all of a sudden loungewear becomes a bouji thing that rich people are adopting. People who grew up being called chavs are allowed to be miffed at that double standard.
Again, you're entitled to your opinion cos I know people who agree with you and I can see why but a little empathy here costs nothing - and might even help make the world a better place sometimes.
Of course, I also have had this conversation with plenty of people who've laughed in my face and said anyone who feels like that is too sensitive and needs to grow up so there's a chance I've wasted my emotional energy posting this reply lol

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 85
jesy is very vocal about liking all things black- the music, the culture or whatever.. fine appreciate it, but where the duck was her voice during the whole BLM movement after the the george incident? Considering she was in the band, where was her support for her ‘sister’ Leiganne and her document!?

She can’t pick and choose when she wants to ‘appreciate’ black culture.

for the ones who are on the fence about her blackfishing- take a look at lipstick alley (a forum for black women, mainly from USA) most of them thought she was mixed and are pissed as hell about the blackfishing.

• Heart
Reactions: 88
I don't recall Xtina ever receiving such backlash after her "Can't hold us down" video though. :unsure: That was a quite obvious black fishing...

KPm7jZ0.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Is that that Dilem girl with her? The one who Jesy recorded singing the "n" word and instead of apologising she just made her instagram private to avoid criticism.

I wonder if Jesy or her team are deleting negative comments on her latest Instagram post. Every single one is positive about how great the song is, I refuse to believe she's had no comments about the blackfishing.
I thought that! I had a look yesterday and the difference between the comments on her Instagram and Twitter is painfully obvious!

I don't recall Xtina ever receiving such backlash after her "Can't hold us down" video though. :unsure: That was a quite obvious black fishing...

View attachment 801826
There was backlash - my friends and I were teens dissecting this and whether we felt honoured to see someone repping this tone/this aesthetic or annoyed that a white woman was being fawned over for this whilst we got made fun of for our style and skin tones. The white girls we knew didn't have the same conversations about it and why would they? They have no understanding of it. This was before twitter when they had no chance to stumble across black twitter dissecting this stuff.

The difference between Xtinas music video and 2021 is that now Buzzfeed and every journo out there LOVES to use race as part of their hottakes, so now white people hear about it all the time; much to their annoyance. But trust me, these critiques span decades if not longer in our communities. It's upsetting that hearing these critiques prompts mainly white people to tell us to shut up tbh....
Also, it's not black twitters fault that the daily mail or buzzfeed take their comments on twitter to each other and make them into sensationalist headlines e.g. PEOPLE CALL JESY RACIST FOR NEW MUSIC VIDEO. Like wtf? That's not what people are doing? They're just side eyeing a white girl getting loved on for cosplaying black culture, a story as old as time for the poc communities tbh. It's not like we're bleeping rioting over it? If anything it's led to memes that you've been enjoying? So I dont get the need to be defensive and butthurt tbh. I will never get over how fragile some people are about criticism like this. So hearing white people say PC gone mad and people are too sensitive feels hilarious considering we aren't asking for this coverage or for your opinions, we just want a space to critique same as anyone else does.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 90
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.