Jessontheplussize #16 could go down a size or more, ITS has made her such a bore

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just seen on Instagram that the owner of Donald Stanley is throwing in the towel and closing the business down. Not surprising given the recent issues she spoke about. The other day I was seriously tempted to buy a turban from her, she was selling them on her stories and they weren't bad for £15 - especially when you think what she charges for her sacks, sorry dresses. But then I remembered the gifting of expensive items to the likes of Jess and Poppy, and also the Pop Up Shop you had to pay to enter, and I just couldn't do it. She has blamed the pandemic and the fact that it is difficult to maintain a sustainable business. And also that once the offers she recently had on to 'save the business' were done, they weren't getting any orders. I am sorry for her and her staff but I am aware of other businesses which sell sustainable, hand made clothing and they are thriving. However they don't alienate paying customers by giving away freebies to those who can easily afford the prices. I think it's safe to say neither Jess or Poppy ever actually bought anything from her.

• Sad
Reactions: 25
Exactly - Poppy and Jess etc weren’t a good marketing plan for DS because neither of them actually wore any of those clothes out of the house 🤷🏻‍♀️ she should have gifted them once and then learned at that point it was pointless and insulting to actually genuine paying customers. It’s a shame that the business is closing (as it would be for any business) but I think it could have been predicted.

Reactions: 13
I dont wear make up so don't know anything about it but what she does seems excessive, is that normal when you do a full face foundation, concealer, more foundation, highlighter, blusher, different colour foundation to contour, that's before all the different products to do her eyes and eyebrows, then lips it seems like a lot, she definitely not influencing me to start wearing it

I dont wear make up so don't know anything about it but what she does seems excessive, is that normal when you do a full face foundation, concealer, more foundation, highlighter, blusher, different colour foundation to contour, that's before all the different products to do her eyes and eyebrows, then lips it seems like a lot, she definitely not influencing me to start wearing it
Day to day I probably wear a similar amount, but Jess doesn't really think about where she puts it, she just does whatever the latest Tik Tok trend says, especially the contour, which I'm sure just looks mucky in real life. For me makeup is about application as much as the product you're using. A £30 foundation is as tit as a £3 if you don't have the right colour and just slap it on like she does 😂

Exactly - Poppy and Jess etc weren’t a good marketing plan for DS because neither of them actually wore any of those clothes out of the house 🤷🏻‍♀️ she should have gifted them once and then learned at that point it was pointless and insulting to actually genuine paying customers. It’s a shame that the business is closing (as it would be for any business) but I think it could have been predicted.
I don't really follow many plus size instahuns but they didn't really seem like the target market for Donald Stanley either. It was more like, "larger older woman with a bit of money on a cruise" to me 😂.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Without being horrible as it’s never nice when a business has to close but has she ever thought that maybe her clothes were just horrendous ?? I wouldn’t wear them even if I was 70!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
We live in a world that doesn’t support sustainable business.
wrong. We live in a world where people know when they are taken for a ride charging the earth for, I’m sorry To say, very ugly clothes, and people aren’t born yesterday. You should have done your research and maybe gave them to some influencers who actually wanted to promote your clothes genuinely instead of claiming everything to be amazing for it then to never be seen again

• Heart
Reactions: 23
If people stop buying when a sale is over then your products are too expensive at full price. I’m not a businesswoman but that’s glaringly obvious to me

Reactions: 16
I’m sorry but the owner of DS has to realise that 1) her clothes that she sells for atrociously high prices are hideous and do not flatter or add any style to the body! It’s like paying £100 for a repurposed curtain fabric dress! 2) she was wrong in gifting the said expensive curtain clothes she creates to influencers who she knew have many plus size followers who could be her potential customers but this fell flat because instead of wasting money and time on doing that, she could’ve actually focused on building a community of her own and actually making clothes that make women feel confident and happy!

And I’m sorry but it says a lot that poppy or Jess never wear anything from her brand! It says a lot! Tells me they just smile with the dress, get their cash and throw it into the back of their wardrobe!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I've just seen on Instagram that the owner of Donald Stanley is throwing in the towel and closing the business down. Not surprising given the recent issues she spoke about. The other day I was seriously tempted to buy a turban from her, she was selling them on her stories and they weren't bad for £15 - especially when you think what she charges for her sacks, sorry dresses. But then I remembered the gifting of expensive items to the likes of Jess and Poppy, and also the Pop Up Shop you had to pay to enter, and I just couldn't do it. She has blamed the pandemic and the fact that it is difficult to maintain a sustainable business. And also that once the offers she recently had on to 'save the business' were done, they weren't getting any orders. I am sorry for her and her staff but I am aware of other businesses which sell sustainable, hand made clothing and they are thriving. However they don't alienate paying customers by giving away freebies to those who can easily afford the prices. I think it's safe to say neither Jess or Poppy ever actually bought anything from her.
Those turbans are cheap as chips on ebay, i got a plain black one, she doesn't make them.
I'm sad that her business is closing down but like others have said it's over priced and shapeless. The high St has come a long way, we don't have to wear those big tents covering us and we have more than Evans.
I've got to be honest and say I didn't particularly warm to the DS woman, I found her quite insincere and moany. And I thought the whole big push for sales with the pop up etc was just a bit desperate and trying to guilt people into buying to keep her afloat.

Reactions: 11
I buy from independents even when it means I have to pay more, but that isn't for plus-sized "tents".

My husband and I are vinyl collectors, so even if an LP is cheaper on Amazon, we go to our local independent vinyl shop to buy instead, to support them. In return for that, we're on a first-name basis with the staff, but more than that, we get first class customer service. We get small discounts here and there, Special Edition LPs that we want put aside when they first come out and even some freebies, but most of all, the satisfaction of keeping some of the loveliest people we've ever met in business. Oh and guess what? I've never had to model for them 🤣
What I'm getting at, is that Jess and Poppy have never given a flying hole about DS, and whether it succeeded or not. They just put their bleeping tents on for what they could get...a quick buck. Whereas the majority of us who buy from independents put in to get back what we put in...which is usually 100% first class customer service and satisfaction, not a few measly quid.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
If people stop buying when a sale is over then your products are too expensive at full price. I’m not a businesswoman but that’s glaringly obvious to me
I also probably wouldn’t have gifted thousands in product to influencers who have no brand loyalty to me and never wear my tit again.

Reactions: 15
Especially in these times, so many people are tight with money because times are tough! So the fact she actually thought people would keep buying her stuff is sad, even Jess doesn’t like it, that whole “posing with poppy and wearing the turbans” was so false. Also I find it really offensive that they wear turbans as a fashion item, when really it’s a religious thing and it’s just bizarre to me that people who aren’t Sikh can wear them for “fashion” without even knowing the meaning behind them 🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: 10
Internet sales actually went through the roof during covid so the fact the owner is blaming all her issues on that just isn’t going to cut it. I actually dislike DS because of the owner, I think she’s very pushy and I don’t like the fact instead of looking at herself and her product she’s blaming other people for the failure of her business.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Internet sales actually went through the roof during covid so the fact the owner is blaming all her issues on that just isn’t going to cut it. I actually dislike DS because of the owner, I think she’s very pushy and I don’t like the fact instead of looking at herself and her product she’s blaming other people for the failure of her business.
I think it’s pure delusion. Most plus size influencers are deluded and the DS woman is especially deluded. Think she needs to rethink her entire business

Reactions: 9
Like why does she hate fat women when she markets heavily toward the plus size community - why tf would I want to look like a stick of rock or something I collect condoms from at the clinic. Are we really peddling waterfall kimonos 🥴🥴

Ultimately her clothes were overpriced bland tents and not everyone wants to wear a drop sleeve and a tent with a belt, that loungewear was the last straw

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
Like why does she hate fat women when she markets heavily toward the plus size community - why tf would I want to look like a stick of rock or something I collect condoms from at the clinic. Are we really peddling waterfall kimonos 🥴🥴

Ultimately her clothes were overpriced bland tents and not everyone wants to wear a drop sleeve and a tent with a belt, that loungewear was the last straw
Aside from being bleeping awful, they make the model look huge. I bet she's a size 14 in reality.

Reactions: 15
Especially in these times, so many people are tight with money because times are tough! So the fact she actually thought people would keep buying her stuff is sad, even Jess doesn’t like it, that whole “posing with poppy and wearing the turbans” was so false. Also I find it really offensive that they wear turbans as a fashion item, when really it’s a religious thing and it’s just bizarre to me that people who aren’t Sikh can wear them for “fashion” without even knowing the meaning behind them 🙄🙄🙄
I haven't seen the DS ones but tbf turbans are present in a lot of cultures, not only the Sikh who believe them to be sacred, even in Europe, and they have been a fashion accessory since Antiquity.

Oh the green shiny thing is absolutely awful 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 4
I will never unsee that green outfit ever in my life again 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I would bet my entire LIFE that NOT ONE person bought it🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 12

Omg ..the shrek body suit! Even the models face is saying wtaf am I wearing 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Oh dear god the green lounge suit also comes in gold 🤮. They are £145!!!!!!!!!!!! 😱😱😱😱😱

Plus their turnaround is 4 weeks. I know they are handmade but that seems really long?

Reading her farewell post she comes across as a spoilt brat tbh. She’s blaming everyone and everything else for her business failing, when her main problem is the clothes themselves and the extortionate pricing.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.