Jessica Simpson

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I loved Newlyweds. Re-watched it on YouTube over Christmas. I read Jessica’s book on Kindle a few months ago.

I always thought Nick was borderline emotionally abusive to her. He really tried to control her with guilt, jealousy, making fun of her, disapproving of her. He was extremely hypocritical at times. Massive chip on his shoulder. I thought while reading her book that my assessment of him was correct! She was very clever about how she spoke about him, though. It was all very subtle, not pinpointing the issues but skirting around them.

Jessica talks in the book about playing up to the “dumb blonde” thing. I don’t think she’s as stupid as she portrayed herself - it helped make her more famous, more popular and fill her bank account. It was a smart move to create those “dumb” moments. We all remember them, years later!

She has made incredible amounts of money from her clothing line, so she and her team obviously have some strong business acumen.

She’s also incredibly brave to have spoken so honestly about the abuse she suffered as a child, and about her issues with food, alcohol and drugs in her later years. It’s really an incredibly honest book, which I think is rare for someone mostly known for reality TV. It made me like her much more. I have a lot of respect for her now.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Yel

I'm not regretting the (free trial) download of her audiobook. I've just got to where Tommy mottola rejected the first video of " I want to love you forever" and says she needs Janet Jackson abs 😬

I love that she outed Justin Timberlake as a prick, always thought he was.

I was wondering where's Britney in the mouse club thing, and then she popped up, and again, and again 😆

I wonder if that is her real talking voice in the audio book? Obviously had some sort of coaching but it's pretty different to her interview voice.

The beetlejuice stuff was pretty hard to listen to and by the time she got to the chapter on her cousin (that we knew was coming) I welled up while in the frozen aisle.

She's obviously not going to chuck creepy pappa joe under the bus (like lily Allen did to her own dad). But so far definitely worth checking out and the religious stuff wasn't too bad - although I'm unsure how genuine she is with it. Even more than most celebs she's got a big brand and lots of Bible belt fans that her team will have edited the book to not get off side. But that's all celeb books and them retelling a story in their favour I guess.

I wonder if they brushed over how much vocal training she had in her teens? She must have had alot to go on promoting "I want to love you forever" almost every day for months on end and not cause damage. That's an insanely difficult song to sing, I remember her nailing it on Richard and Judy with artificial sunflowers 😆

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
I'm starting to not believe her and the constant going on about how uncomfortable she was showing her body. It plays very well in 2020 with the current atmosphere and blaming a music exec and really helps her brand. But I think Jessica or her team is overegging it a bit. That said she was very thin and toned in the irresistible video and I do believe she was living off velveeta and microwaved meat. The truth is something in the middle probably.

Reactions: 5
Who did she say she was abused by? I always got such a creepy vibe from her dad, I remember watching the making of of one of her videos z(do mtv still do these.) and it was some scene of her and nick ( I think) kissing on a bed in very skimpy clothes and he was like leering at her, anyone else remember this? 🤢

Reactions: 1
It was a female family friend that was around the same age as her who was also being abused.

He's been known as creepy pappa joe for the last decade for a reason! Although none of that will come out in her book. Remember when nick said the best thing about being divorced was Joe not trying to grab him anymore..

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
It was a female family friend that was around the same age as her who was also being abused.

He's been known as creepy pappa joe for the last decade for a reason! Although none of that will come out in her book. Remember when nick said the best thing about being divorced was Joe not trying to grab him anymore..
Stuff like this seems to happen so often in very religious families, it is awful I feel terrible for her

Reactions: 3
Stuff like this seems to happen so often in very religious families, it is awful I feel terrible for her
Sadly that's often the case. Her parents seem to have pretty much ignored it when she told then (from where I'm up to in the book) - her mum just told her dad "I knew it!" And neither looked to the backseat at Jessica. They never visited that family again and that was that.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Sadly that's often the case. Her parents seem to have pretty much ignored it when she told then (from where I'm up to in the book) - her mum just told her dad "I knew it!" And neither looked to the backseat at Jessica. They never visited that family again and that was that.
Jesus this is heartbreaking, might buy the book actually seems interesting! Not usually into celeb biogs

Jesus this is heartbreaking, might buy the book actually seems interesting! Not usually into celeb biogs
Wait until you get to the beetlejuice and cousin stuff 😔 I'm on the audiobook finally taking an audible free trial.

I'm now on the music industry stuff which is what I'm most interested in. Although the book is coming off as good pr for the Jessica Simpson brand, not that I blame them - it makes sense.

Wait until you get to the beetlejuice and cousin stuff 😔 I'm on the audiobook finally taking an audible free trial.

I'm now on the music industry stuff which is what I'm most interested in. Although the book is coming off as good pr for the Jessica Simpson brand, not that I blame them - it makes sense.
Ooh going to try the free audible trial and get it, good idea!

I'm really not sure I buy her complaining so much about the label and Tommy forcing her to wear skimpy clothes when she admits to really wanting the dukes of hazard role that would entail wearing a bikini and by far the most revealing clothes. She did look amazing in that film.

I knew she'd say that when meeting the interior secretary at the Whitehouse; "ooh I love what you've done to the place" 😆 reminds me of my favourite line from the sopranos.

It really does show that she's has a good team around her the whole time, apart from some dodgy decisions by pappa joe but the good team inpowered her to sack him.

I'm watching newlyweds again now after the chapters on filming.

Nick "if I had a gun I'd shoot....myself in the head" 😂 of course you said yourself while the cameras are rolling, we all know what you wanted to say

Reactions: 2
All the John mayer stuff I found really boring. I don't think he's that good at all and we've all encountered manipulative guys like that. I would have rather heard more about all the hookups with a Listers on private jets!

Reactions: 4
I know her dad came across as creepy vibes with his daughter but to me it was always in an obsessive way like he actually wanted to be her!!!

He would leer at Jess with both adoration and jealousy at times her and Nick were together. Like he wished he was her getting to have sex with a guy like Nick. He wanted a piece of him.

The guy was clearly closeted in my opinion and once you got in to his and his wife’s background it all began to make sense...i hope he is able to live his truth now, last i heard he has cancer.

Reactions: 7
I know her dad came across as creepy vibes with his daughter but to me it was always in an obsessive way like he actually wanted to be her!!!

He would leer at Jess with both adoration and jealousy at times her and Nick were together. Like he wished he was her getting to have sex with a guy like Nick. He wanted a piece of him.

The guy was clearly closeted in my opinion and once you got in to his and his wife’s background it all began to make sense...i hope he is able to live his truth now, last i heard he has cancer.
I think you're spot on. I misunderstood him a decade ago when he was talking about Jessica's double D's but now it seems so clear he wanted to be her. I do feel sorry for him that he spent so many years being closeted, but he's still creepy.

Just watched the episode of newlyweds where they made videos and watched them back. Nick's face after seeing Jessica's video and pappa joe confirming the budget 😆 Jessica asks how much his budget was and he sulks off saying he doesn't want to talk about it😂 Jessica knew the ballpark figure for her video so obvious wasn't an airhead.

PSX_20200620_095601.jpg

Nick would be so much more attractive without the generic and boring tattoos.

This isn't far off being a good song, I had to watch it after reading Jessica talking about him recreating their life for a video:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
John Mayer described her as sexual napalm. I always assumed she’d be boring in bed. Would love yo know what he meant by that.

• Haha
  • Wow
Just finished the book and bumping for completion.

It's a 4/5, the industry stuff was fascinating and lived up to expectations - she's never going to work with the old people from her label so no harm in dishing the dirt. She skirted over things like the drunk Ellen interview in two sentences and felt she was holding back alot. Very protective of her sister unsurprising and kept mentioning how talented she was.

Bit boring towards the end going a bit self help and being nosey I would have liked to see photos of her before and after the two cosmetic procedures on her stomach. Bonkers to have the surgery against the advice of your doctor especially when you have two kids. Still felt like a big marketing tool for her brand, but that's to be expected.

The new songs were a nice touch, but totally not needed. Doubt I'll ever listen to them again, the first one was the by far the best.

Last edited:
I think you're spot on. I misunderstood him a decade ago when he was talking about Jessica's double D's but now it seems so clear he wanted to be her. I do feel sorry for him that he spent so many years being closeted, but he's still creepy.

Just watched the episode of newlyweds where they made videos and watched them back. Nick's face after seeing Jessica's video and pappa joe confirming the budget 😆 Jessica asks how much his budget was and he sulks off saying he doesn't want to talk about it😂 Jessica knew the ballpark figure for her video so obvious wasn't an airhead.

View attachment 158527

Nick would be so much more attractive without the generic and boring tattoos.

This isn't far off being a good song, I had to watch it after reading Jessica talking about him recreating their life for a video:
I loved that song, thought it was pretty good and felt sorry for him at the time.....until I remembered how stroppy and controlling he was on most episodes of newlyweds and now reading the book its very........woah!

Reactions: 3
I loved that song, thought it was pretty good and felt sorry for him at the time.....until I remembered how stroppy and controlling he was on most episodes of newlyweds and now reading the book its very........woah!
I think parts of the song are great, a few tweaks and it could have been a worldwide smash.

I'm actually more keen on nick after the book. As much as I'd like to think I'm a Jessica I'm way more a nick and would probably be rolling my eyes and stroppy on a reality TV show, although I know not to sign up for one!

I think parts of the song are great, a few tweaks and it could have been a worldwide smash.

I'm actually more keen on nick after the book. As much as I'd like to think I'm a Jessica I'm way more a nick and would probably be rolling my eyes and stroppy on a reality TV show, although I know not to sign up for one!
I do think he was the more real of the two, he seemed very grounded and not at all showbiz, I think they were a bad match, she was too ditzy for him and he was too steady for her, I also have to confess I had a huge crush on him in the newlyweds days, I thought he was a beautiful man ;)