Jemhow - Jemma McGowan

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A thread for to discuss @Jemhow as other threads are being derailed.

Quick Summary.
27 year old Jemma from Omagh, Tyrone current battling stage 4 cancer. Has a go fund me, which was used to fund a trip to Mexico for alternative therapy.

Is currently fund-raising/raffling to fund her treatments here to extend her life.

I see no problem with what she is doing. She’s raising money to extend her life so she can spend more time with her young children.

I believe she’s also donated money to help others as well. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Reactions: 3
I see no problem with what she is doing. She’s raising money to extend her life so she can spend more time with her young children.

I believe she’s also donated money to help others as well. Happy to be proven wrong though.
I am just very intrigued to hear what other people are saying in regards to herself and the husband being "removed" from their jobs?

To me she's a beautiful girl, far too young to be having to deal with this, but as shown in the past, people and go fund me money that reach crazy amounts can lose the run of themselves. I don't agree with her not refunding those who can't attend due to covid I think that's entirely unfair.

Reactions: 5

I don’t like the fact that some people can’t attend the event due to covid reasons and she should be encouraging people not to attend if they’re covid positive or close contacts but yet won’t refund the money to them but still wants to sell their seats again.. I don’t think that’s on!

Reactions: 6
I am just very intrigued to hear what other people are saying in regards to herself and the husband being "removed" from their jobs?

To me she's a beautiful girl, far too young to be having to deal with this, but as shown in the past, people and go fund me money that reach crazy amounts can lose the run of themselves. I don't agree with her not refunding those who can't attend due to covid I think that's entirely unfair.
Im also intrigued to know why they were removed from their jobs? They work/worked for the same company right? I had always assumed from her stories that he was working as the kids were constantly being looked after by others......

I have to say I was totally sucked in at the start and even donated to her gfm, but having seen all the crap about not refunding people their money if they have covid, I think it's a bit lousy......
Just to clarify, before I get a pile of backlash, I know the girl has terminal cancer and I would not wish that on my worst enemy, I just think the way they are handling all the fundraising/events isnt being done right.

Reactions: 10
That was a very sweeping statement about them being removed from their jobs, with nothing to back it up.

Reactions: 1
That was a very sweeping statement about them being removed from their jobs, with nothing to back it up.
I agree. Dropping that kind of accusation is pretty low. Fair game to call them out that something doesn’t quite add up or disagree with the no refund part. And I thought they had their own business but more than happy to be corrected on that.

In the spirit of what she’s trying to raise money for if I had bought a ticket and couldn’t attend I wouldn’t expect (nor want) my money back and I’d be happy for her to resell my ticket to raise more money. I appreciate however not everyone has the money to throw away.

Ok so to give everyone a bit of background and to explain my feeling towards this.-

I have been following this from the very start and it is no surprise how it has panned out. Although Jemma’s diagnosis has been very unfortunate and wouldn’t wish it on anybody. It was apparent to anybody that knew her that this would turn into a money racket. Jemmas sole motivation from a very young age has only ever been money.

The Gofundme page was started to enable Jemma to quickly gather the money needed to get her to Mexico for her treatment. Her original target was £50,000 which due to the kindness of Irish people was hit within hours!

Although Jemma’s target was smashed, she encouraged people to keep donating as any extra money raised was going to be used to help other sick mothers get to Mexico for life saving treatment. The money kept pouring in and within a few days had reached £150,000!

Jemma went to Mexico bringing 7 other people with her, flew business class and stayed in 5 Star hotels along the way (if I was travelling with other peoples money I’d be trying to cut costs). She spent 3 weeks in Mexico receiving all sorts of treatment and documented everything on Instagram.

When Jemma got home from Mexico the story quickly changed. The money wasn't going to be used for other mothers. It was to be used to get herself back to Mexico in October! It is now January and theres no sign anymore of any trips to Mexico but she is still relentlessly fundraising.

People locally have been questioning this for months. It appears that fundraising for herself has been starting to slow down which has now meant that she has had to use two other charities to try to squeeze more. Who is monitoring this? Who knows what percentage of funds are going to each charity? Any money being received is going directly into a personal bank account or paypal.

I would have alot more respect for this if it was being organised by a registered charity who were then distributing the funds equally to each cause.

Also doesnt help when she is constantly walking around designer boutiques, showing off her new flooring, wallpaper, beds, kitchen, childrens play area, tarmacced driveway and spending every weekend at a different 5 star hotel. Now theres a poor woman in Donegal running an appeal for £5 per month to go towards her fund!

Jem and husband have both recently left jobs on bad terms due to dishonesty. This is fairly common knowledge locally and im sure anyone who has previously worked with them will back it up.

Husband has since started working with a friend, Jemma has gone self employed selling cars from home. Conveniently her 'healing house' which was donated to her also doubles up as a handy office.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I feel for her with her diagnosis and her poor family. I happily contributed to her fund for going to Mexico but I now think the whole thing has become very disingenuous. I certainly don’t want to add further distress to her situation but this whole fund raising her got out of hand.
Ok so to give everyone a bit of background and to explain my feeling towards this.-

I have been following this from the very start and it is no surprise how it has panned out. Although Jemma’s diagnosis has been very unfortunate and wouldn’t wish it on anybody. It was apparent to anybody that knew her that this would turn into a money racket. Jemmas sole motivation from a very young age has only ever been money.

The Gofundme page was started to enable Jemma to quickly gather the money needed to get her to Mexico for her treatment. Her original target was £50,000 which due to the kindness of Irish people was hit within hours!

Although Jemma’s target was smashed, she encouraged people to keep donating as any extra money raised was going to be used to help other sick mothers get to Mexico for life saving treatment. The money kept pouring in and within a few days had reached £150,000!

Jemma went to Mexico bringing 7 other people with her, flew business class and stayed in 5 Star hotels along the way (if I was travelling with other peoples money I’d be trying to cut costs). She spent 3 weeks in Mexico receiving all sorts of treatment and documented everything on Instagram.

When Jemma got home from Mexico the story quickly changed. The money wasn't going to be used for other mothers. It was to be used to get herself back to Mexico in October! It is now January and theres no sign anymore of any trips to Mexico but she is still relentlessly fundraising.

People locally have been questioning this for months. It appears that fundraising for herself has been starting to slow down which has now meant that she has had to use two other charities to try to squeeze more. Who is monitoring this? Who knows what percentage of funds are going to each charity? Any money being received is going directly into a personal bank account or paypal.

I would have alot more respect for this if it was being organised by a registered charity who were then distributing the funds equally to each cause.

Also doesnt help when she is constantly walking around designer boutiques, showing off her new flooring, wallpaper, beds, kitchen, childrens play area, tarmacced driveway and spending every weekend at a different 5 star hotel. Now theres a poor woman in Donegal running an appeal for £5 per month to go towards her fund!

Jem and husband have both recently left jobs on bad terms due to dishonesty. This is fairly common knowledge locally and im sure anyone who has previously worked with them will back it up.

Husband has since started working with a friend, Jemma has gone self employed selling cars from home. Conveniently her 'healing house' which was donated to her also doubles up as a handy office.

Is she back tracking now and giving refunds to people who can’t attend? She addressed the guest list in around about way.. she has nothing to do with it and never has and contact Clive if you can’t make it as there’s a waiting list, but never cleared up what Clive would do as a result.. also the way she spoke about it this morning makes me think she knows there are people (tattle prehaps) on to her

Reactions: 2
Is she back tracking now and giving refunds to people who can’t attend? She addressed the guest list in around about way.. she has nothing to do with it and never has and contact Clive if you can’t make it as there’s a waiting list, but never cleared up what Clive would do as a result.. also the way she spoke about it this morning makes me think she knows there are people (tattle prehaps) on to her
I still don't think she was offering a refund, think it was more just let them know asap if you can't go so they can resell your ticket.......

Cheers for following up on this as I was quite interested. I'm not completely local to Omagh although I do have family there so I might ask them have they heard anything? They aren't social media people so probably not 😂

The one thing that did stick out bar the PayPal thing over the last few months for me was the absolute hounding she gave local charities in Omagh for "not reaching out to her". I am going to assume they since have..

Still only reimbursing with raffle tickets. Surely if there is a waiting list they could reimburse people that way.

[QUOTE="Beefcake-tits, post: 7785270, member: 188386"

The one thing that did stick out bar the PayPal thing over the last few months for me was the absolute hounding she gave local charities in Omagh for "not reaching out to her". I am going to assume they since have..
[/QUOTE]
Im glad someone else picked up on this...I was annoyed when she was so vocal saying a while back how awful it was that Omagh Care for Cancer hadnt even been in touch. As if to say...do they not know who I am?
Re fundraising... she says the mexico money is still there for mexico and it wont be touched until they get back there...but theres no plan for the return ...now manchester trial seems to be the way to go. But she still needs $$$ for the daily meds that mexico prescribes ( which she doesnt always take NOR does she always follow the prescribed diet or healing room plan)...but still needs the $$$.
Turning point for me was her "friendship" with Mrs Houseproud. However maybe they arent really that different?
Jem knows about tattle as she brought it up a while back saying she knew she was being talked about in a good light on anothers page...but she wanted nothing to do with it.
I do feel sad thats shes unwell of course but not convinced shes taking advantage of peoples kindness however.

Im glad someone else picked up on this...I was annoyed when she was so vocal saying a while back how awful it was that Omagh Care for Cancer hadnt even been in touch. As if to say...do they not know who I am?
Re fundraising... she says the mexico money is still there for mexico and it wont be touched until they get back there...but theres no plan for the return ...now manchester trial seems to be the way to go. But she still needs $$$ for the daily meds that mexico prescribes ( which she doesnt always take NOR does she always follow the prescribed diet or healing room plan)...but still needs the $$$.
Turning point for me was her "friendship" with Mrs Houseproud. However maybe they arent really that different?
Jem knows about tattle as she brought it up a while back saying she knew she was being talked about in a good light on anothers page...but she wanted nothing to do with it.
I do feel sad thats shes unwell of course but not convinced shes taking advantage of peoples kindness however.
[/QUOTE]
Yep it can only go so far before people start to question where there hard earned money is going......

Correct me if I am wrong but is it not normally the patient/client who reaches out to a charity and not the other way around? I doubt they keep tabs on everyone with cancer in the area? That sounds awful insensitive of me I know but I assume that's how you would go about it?

It did rub me up the wrong way too as I've had family rely on a local cancer charity and they were a god send, BUT you had to reach out to them.

Yes it should be the patient or their family makes contact with CFC .... she must have thought differently

[/QUOTE]
Thats right, wasnt it £500 per night she needed for Manchester? Must be taking private jet and staying at the Lowry

Reactions: 3

I have to agree with all of this. Watching her on Instagram, I just do not find her to be completely genuine, she comes across too sweetness and light, but then the odd time lets her guard drop and another Gemma comes out.
The whole thing is questionable. And yes, the constant glamour days out, hotel stays, clothing is too much to watch. And me saying this is no slight on her health situation. Unfortunately people all over the world receive bad health news.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.