Jamie Oliver

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I often do an open veg tart and the bottom can get soggy, even when I’ve precooked the base. Definitely trying couscous next time.

Reactions: 6
The scone pudding thing looks lovely. I am going to try it with birds powder and teacakes (maybe if brave try a plant based scone) and put it in my multi cooker so Mrs T can have it.

We did the fish pie yesterday, it was really tasty. We used bog-standard supermarket tomatoes, which were fine, and I personally wouldn't use so much dill next time as I found it slightly overpowering, but it's a lovely dish and we will definitely cook it again.
It would be fine in any metal dish, but be careful of the "cooking it over a high heat until it sizzles" instruction online, ours burned at the bottom of the pan quite quickly! If you've used filo before, you'll know how quickly you need to work with it before it dries up completely. Get everything ready before you even think about getting the pastry out of the packet. And yes, the couscous was a genius idea, will definitely use that in other recipes!

Reactions: 8
Great!
I’ve been thinking about it and the cous cous trick seems like a great idea for so many options. It could be great for having a roast veg type alternative as could soak up the juices and give the nice crispy bottom but basically any type of pie would work and it would make it more filling.
Prues tip to prevent a soggy bottom is semolina

Reactions: 4
I can see uncle roger losing the plot about this noodle soup recipe.
Not sure why he is putting the spring onions and chilli into the cold water. Will they not lose flavour?

Reactions: 1
The noodle soup sounds lovely - putting them into water can take away some of the acrid taste even if only for a very short time in it - and I do remember a boyfriend's Mum doing it because it helps things crisp up/taste fresher if they've been looking a bit wilty.

This flatbread looks AMAZING.

So glad I've ordered this book.

I always thought it was pronounced “gooda” 😂😂

those flatbreads look amazing. I love a quesadilla and these have the added benefit of being fresh.

Reactions: 3
Yes definitely trying those flatbreads - brilliant for using up bits. I mad tom kerridges bbq flatbreads using self raising flour and yoghurt and they are amazing

Reactions: 3
This flatbread looks AMAZING.

So glad I've ordered this book.
Would be interesting to price the flatbreads as they could be something really fun to make with the family but could be adapted for all budgets with the fillings and I know that wasn’t his intention but it looks such a nice accessible recipe.

Reactions: 5
The noodle dish wasn't for me, but I'm definitely trying the flatbreads, such a simple idea. My only worry would be making sure it was cooked all the way through before burning on the outside.

Yes, it looks great and could be easily adapted if u don’t like mussels etc..
Flatbreads look promising here too

They're really easy to do - and from my point of view, they're also good made gluten free. I've done them with nigella seeds and chilli flakes and mustard powder & thyme, for example.

I used about a cupful of flour, tsp of baking powder, pinch of salt and enough yoghurt to bring it together, so pennies, really. They're really good with soup, too.

ETA: I didn't make them as liquid, so they were more like potato cakes/soft scone dough - easy to teel they're cooked just by tapping the top as you won't feel any squish.

Reactions: 6
Look at that Chicken pie, it looks absolutely awesome.

Say what you like about JO, his recipes do work.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
They're really easy to do - and from my point of view, they're also good made gluten free. I've done them with nigella seeds and chilli flakes and mustard powder & thyme, for example.

I used about a cupful of flour, tsp of baking powder, pinch of salt and enough yoghurt to bring it together, so pennies, really. They're really good with soup, too.

ETA: I didn't make them as liquid, so they were more like potato cakes/soft scone dough - easy to teel they're cooked just by tapping the top as you won't feel any squish.
The flatbreads also look a lot easier for people who aren’t as confident with kneading and rolling out a dough too. Very user friendly.

The noodle dish wasn't for me, but I'm definitely trying the flatbreads, such a simple idea. My only worry would be making sure it was cooked all the way through before burning on the outside.
I think if u have a non stick pan and do them at a low heat they would be fine.

Reactions: 2
Look at that Chicken pie, it looks absolutely awesome.

Say what you like about JO, his recipes do work.
Yep that pie looked lovely. I'm a big fan of pastry. Especially the ready rolled stuff. It's about £1 in aldi.

Coming from the past to thank the Frau who mentioned the roast chicken tikka.
Made it on Sunday and it was great, made the tikka paste as well because #smug . Nah, the truth is I forgot to buy it and couldn’t be arsed going back out.

Reactions: 5
Coming from the past to thank the Frau who mentioned the roast chicken tikka.
Made it on Sunday and it was great, made the tikka paste as well because #smug . Nah, the truth is I forgot to buy it and couldn’t be arsed going back out.
It was me who mentioned it, it’s really good isn’t it! I never make my own paste though, I can only bow to your greatness!

• Heart
Reactions: 2