Jamie Oliver

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Books with recipes I use regularly

Jamie’s Italy
30 minute meals
7 ways
Comfort food (sticky toffee pudding every Xmas)
Veg
Everyday super food

I have some of the older ones but I don’t use those - and I always found the 15 minute meal ones a bit unrealistic time wise.

i will probably get the one pot one and ask for the together one for Christmas

his recipes work - the many testers and home economics people do their jobs.
I really really want to eat sticky toffee pud now

Reactions: 6
Cue Jack calling him a fraud as the flatbreads weren’t cooked in the pan!

lamb looks banging.I’m not a huge fan of the way he puts everything on boards though. Just expecting so much juice to run off.

well done THAT MAN. 3 recipes I would want to try,

wonder what is on next week?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
that lamb :love:. Not sure if I would find that spice mix anywhere here, but the feta sauce sounds amazing and the aubergines looked good too.

ETA: Tesco and waitrose sell Dukkah

• Heart
Reactions: 6
That was good. Would definitely eat the pasta and the fish pie. I don't like lamb but wonder if the feta sauce and aubergine would work with roast chicken or something (not to be all fussy squig complaining about the main ingredient!)

that lamb :love:. Not sure if I would find that spice mix anywhere here, but the feta sauce sounds amazing and the aubergines looked good too.
Most supermarkets have a 'lebanese' or 'rus el hanout' as we know, all spice is interchangeable!
(Seriously though, anything that 'marries' with lamb would be good)

• Haha
Reactions: 5
It's not one pan cooking if your whole oven needs cleaning afterwards!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
It’s a different league isn’t it.
It is. And, I know he's had his fair share of the shite ripped out of him over the years about his presenting style, amongst other things, but he's never really changed his enthusiastic style. Honed and improved, yes, but kept true to his TV personality. I like that about him.

I know someone will come along and say he's an awful twit to work with but I don't care, he produces good, watchable tv content.

Reactions: 9
I love Jamie’s recipes - I do his filo feta spinach spanakopita one quite often, which is the same method as the fish pie, and it’s fine in a small roasting tin, or even a cake tin. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t crisp the bottom up first.

I don’t even eat meat and the lamb looked amazing. I bet you could rub all kinds in and it’d work (curry paste? a minty pestoey paste? Horse spunk?).

• Haha
That was good. Would definitely eat the pasta and the fish pie. I don't like lamb but wonder if the feta sauce and aubergine would work with roast chicken or something (not to be all fussy squig complaining about the main ingredient!)
Do you eat chicken? You could do a chicken skewer kebab. There's a bbc good food recipe that would work.

Here you go. You can carve it the same way he did the lamb.

• Heart
Do you eat chicken? You could do a chicken skewer kebab. There's a bbc good food recipe that would work.

Here you go. You can carve it the same way he did the lamb.

Definitely with chicken (would also be cheaper) - and I've got a couple of cleaner ways to do it. (Vegans look away now)

Use a pair of kitchen scissors or a big knife to cut along one side of the spine. Open up the chicken and then give it a bloody good thump on the breastbone (in restaurant parlance, this is called spatchcocking, I believe).

Cut slashes across the breast, thighs, legs and sides and rub in things like Ras el Hanout, Dukkah, Cumin, Coriander, Cinnamon (always include some lemon peel for Cinnamon), garlic, thyme, sesame seeds, sea salt, pepper, chilli and olive oil into all the slashes and inside what used to be the cavity.

Then either put a roasting rack over the aubergines in a baking tin (IKEA do a tin-rack combo really cheap) or in a wok with a lid; buying the smaller aubergines you get in a Turkish shop would both be cheaper and fit into a wok more easily - and you can add peppers, courgette and tomatoes, chunks of red onion, capers and/or olives too, if you like them - and it'll be done in around 35 minutes.

The same principle would also work with a Patak's spice paste or spices and tomato puree.

Reactions: 10
Has anyone ever tried this:

Not the most authentic but it is really nice and relatively fuss free. It tastes nice and fresh and xingy

• Heart
Definitely with chicken (would also be cheaper) - and I've got a couple of cleaner ways to do it. (Vegans look away now)

Use a pair of kitchen scissors or a big knife to cut along one side of the spine. Open up the chicken and then give it a bloody good thump on the breastbone (in restaurant parlance, this is called spatchcocking, I believe).

Cut slashes across the breast, thighs, legs and sides and rub in things like Ras el Hanout, Dukkah, Cumin, Coriander, Cinnamon (always include some lemon peel for Cinnamon), garlic, thyme, sesame seeds, sea salt, pepper, chilli and olive oil into all the slashes and inside what used to be the cavity.

Then either put a roasting rack over the aubergines in a baking tin (IKEA do a tin-rack combo really cheap) or in a wok with a lid; buying the smaller aubergines you get in a Turkish shop would both be cheaper and fit into a wok more easily - and you can add peppers, courgette and tomatoes, chunks of red onion, capers and/or olives too, if you like them - and it'll be done in around 35 minutes.

The same principle would also work with a Patak's spice paste or spices and tomato puree.
Oooh. That sounds lovely! There is a peri peri chicken recipe in his 7 ways book that I've made but forgotten about. It's really good.

• Heart
His lemon and chorizo roast chicken is sublime. Put the chorizo under the skin and put the whole lemon inside.
It is quite rich but so bloody tasty.
That sounds amazing. 🤤 And good for a simple ninny like me. Off to hunt down the recipe!

Edited to add: thank you Fraus for letting me enjoy the show vicariously for now. Hoping a local broadcaster picks it up soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Hnnngrhhh
Slllllurp
Mmmmmm
Harrrahn
Slllllluuuurp
Sllllloberrr

Nothing to see here, nothing at all, no sireee
* whistles *

We have just had the fish pie. It was AMAZING 🤩
Great!
I’ve been thinking about it and the cous cous trick seems like a great idea for so many options. It could be great for having a roast veg type alternative as could soak up the juices and give the nice crispy bottom but basically any type of pie would work and it would make it more filling.